Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheapthrills' Cheap 40 of 2019 Countdown - COMPLETED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
    Wow, I didn't think of this bit of trivia. It's rare enough that I'll say it hasn't really happened before. However, there are two instances where the longest #1 wasn't in the top ten. Both are from the early days of the chart. In the first year of my chart, the top ten consisted of songs that hadn't charted at all because I didn't start my chart until November of that year (1997 - ugh). 1999 had two songs spend 9 weeks at #1 - Down by Stone Temple Pilots didn't hit #1 until November, so it's full run for 1999 was cut short. It's run was also inter-rupted by a Christmas song, so most of its #1 weeks were actually in 2000 (where it also did not make the top ten for the year.)
    Why does 1997 get an "ugh"? Many thanks for the thorough response to my chart inquiry! I touched on this a bit more over in your weekly thread too.

I love that capitulate line. I was watching this Disney + documentary a couple nights ago called Year One Million , basically looking far into the future (more like a millenia or so). They were taking about the potential for AI to take over, and I thought that they really should have used this song for the soundtrack.
    Ha, sounds like a PERFECT match! It could've been a "win-win" scenario too: gives Disney a little indie cred, and Grimes some extra promo.

It sure was underrated - why does the GP suck so much? My only successful FSC entry this past year
    I definitely miss the days when Hot 100 battles featured multiple songs I actually genuinely enjoyed. Chart following is still fun and fascinating, but it was even better when I felt some attachment to the hits involved.

Katy's cancelling has been one of the most perplexing things I've seen. I still think it's the hair. I'm not kidding. My office husband thought she was the hottest person on earth, and then she did that with her hair and he was just done. Of course, the landscape also shifted in the nearly four years it took for her to release another album - also an error on her part. My own history with Katy is similar - I loved her from the get-go, but around TGIF, I decid-ed I was just absolutely sick to death of her. Like, give us a chance to miss you, Katy! But then the break she took was too long. I wonder if Katy will ever have a top ten again, Never Really Over came so close, but it could end up being an ironic title for her sadly.
    I used to be really dismissive of the hair theory, but people (even fans) can be mighty fickle, and such a drastic image change probably did worsen things for Katy (combined with the shifting pop music scene, like you mentioned). Even though her music didn't get that much more political, she went from looking like a pin-up model to resembling one of those "radical feminists" many Americans were aggressively turning against in 2016-2017. **sigh**

• "Rainbow" makes for a beautiful opener to your top tier!
    • SO pleased to see "Lover" inside your Top 10 Neither of us sent it all the way to No. 1 on our weekly charts, but it had impressive staying power/a low burn rate. It's such a soothing country/pop offering that harkens back to Tay's earlier material (without sounding like a retread of any specific older hit).
    • I'm partial to the bottom half of your Top 10 but "Old Town Road" was undoubtedly a memorable (and unpredictable) experience for chart watchers in 2019. It managed to offer something pretty unique, while still possessing mass appeal, and Lil Nas skillfully utilized the many promotional tools the modern social media scene has to offer to keep the hype going strong for a record-setting stretch.
    • I didn't get as swept up in "Higher Love" as a lot of UKMIXers, but it was definitely sweet watching it bring Whitney fans together and further cement her legacy.
    last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
      I definitely miss the days when Hot 100 battles featured multiple songs I actually genuinely enjoyed. Chart following is still fun and fascinating, but it was even better when I felt some attachment to the hits involved.
      It's like a football game. You have to pick a side or it just loses something when you watch it! I miss pop being more dominant, but I do think rap got screwed over by singles sales as the dawn of the 2010s. I suspect people were always listening to it, but not necessarily buying it.

I used to be really dismissive of the hair theory, but people (even fans) can be mighty fickle, and such a drastic image change probably did worsen things for Katy (combined with the shifting pop music scene, like you mentioned). Even though her music didn't get that much more political, she went from looking like a pin-up model to resembling one of those "radical feminists" many Americans were aggressively turning against in 2016-2017. **sigh**
      I think it was Felicity where the lead character cut her hair and ratings dropped Sometimes maintaining success is all about knowing your brand. I think you're probably right about her look, and these days people are quick to find something to get outraged about - the worst aspect of social media is how outrage is attracted to it like moths to a flame.

• "Rainbow" makes for a beautiful opener to your top tier!
      • SO pleased to see "Lover" inside your Top 10 Neither of us sent it all the way to No. 1 on our weekly charts, but it had impressive staying power/a low burn rate. It's such a soothing country/pop offering that harkens back to Tay's earlier material (without sounding like a retread of any specific older hit).
      • I'm partial to the bottom half of your Top 10 but "Old Town Road" was undoubtedly a memorable (and unpredictable) experience for chart watchers in 2019. It managed to offer something pretty unique, while still possessing mass appeal, and Lil Nas skillfully utilized the many promotional tools the modern social media scene has to offer to keep the hype going strong for a record-setting stretch.
      • I didn't get as swept up in "Higher Love" as a lot of UKMIXers, but it was definitely sweet watching it bring Whitney fans together and further cement her legacy.
      In my 2010s countdown, Rainbow placed 4th out of the 2019 songs, so I have a lot more affection for it than its placement shows here. It would have been a worthy #1 for the year. As would have Lover, a song that kept chugging away into the holiday season (though it does mention Christmas in the opening line!) I think had Lover timed itself just a hair earlier or later, it might have been her first solo #1.

Pretty sure most people will prefer that bottom half - it has some pretty heavy hitters for 2019, and I really am surprised all of them ended up in the bottom half. In my 2010 countdown, Old Town Road was placed further down than most of them. That said, I think it deserves it's placement - it was my most played song on Spotify this year (It was #1 AND #3! On My Way was #2 and Higher Love was #4, so Spotify clearly factors heavily on my chart), and it made some serious social impact. I remember my first day in London last year, there were some street performers doing a routine to it - it had just hit #1 in the States and was surprised that it had already made impact abroad.

Anyhow, thanks again for following. Do you know how to give rep points in this upgraded system?

Comment

Outside of "Coming Home" (which I haven't heard yet), your top 5 is amazing!
        Great #1 as well, a fantastic tribute to Whitney.
        Sergej's Personal Chart

Comment

Bad Guy is a bop!

Lover is lovely <3

Good #1!
          [#1 REVEALED!] 2019 Year End Charts: The 20/20 Experience

My Song Charts

Comment

"Old Town Road" isn't technically a brilliant song, but it does a lot for me, and I'm happy it was such a massive success. "Higher Love" is wonderful and a welcome tribute to the greatest singer who ever lived.

Good countdown!
            Akini's Top 400 Songs of the 2010s: [385-381]

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Comment

Working...
            X