The X-Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The X-Files

For some reason I haven't seen a single episode from this show until recently. I started watching season 1 because I was curious what all the hype was about for all these years. Turns out it's indeed an awesome show.
    Just finished the first season and getting into #2...suppose it will take me all year to catch up but I'm really looking forward to it.

What are your fave seasons/episodes?

Oh and please post a warning before essential spoilers!
    Last edited by Hejira; Wed January 29th, 2020, 21:19.
    "Lift up your head
    Lift up your heart..."

https://soundcloud.com/jaspervanbeve...orest-of-glass

I used to love The X-Files! The first 5 seasons were fantastic, seasons 6 and 7 were still good but once Mulder left the show diminished in quality.
    The two seasons that aired in 2016 and 18 were disappointing, especially the last one (season 11).

I prefer the 'monster of the week' episodes to the ones about the conspiracy theories as the latter became too complex and confusing to follow.
    My YouTube Channel - The best songs of the 80s, 90s and 2000s

Comment

I just googled season 1 and found out that Felicity Huffmann guest-starred in one episode!

Comment

My favourite episodes from season one (as far as I remember, I need to re-watch the show asap !!!):

#3 Squeeze and #21 Tooms
        #8 Ice
        #11 Eve
        #18 Miracle Man
        #20 Darkness Falls
        #23 Roland

Comment

Originally posted by Benny View Post
          I just googled season 1 and found out that Felicity Huffmann guest-starred in one episode!

Yeah I saw that one last week, it was in the first season. I was like "Hey, that's Lynette!" and it turned out to be a great episode too actually!
          "Lift up your head
          Lift up your heart..."

Comment

I used to love The X-Files! The first 5 seasons were fantastic, seasons 6 and 7 were still good but once Mulder left the show diminished in quality.
            The two seasons that aired in 2016 and 18 were disappointing, especially the last one (season 11).

I prefer the 'monster of the week' episodes to the ones about the conspiracy theories as the latter became too complex and confusing to follow.
            you know something similar happened to Supernatural? we use to have monster of the week epis and I used to enjoyed them a lot and now it's mostly about the angel/heaven/hell arch , it got too tiresome sometimes, well now it's ending and I still miss those rando monster episodes, they were the best

Comment

Originally posted by AndiIversen View Post

you know something similar happened to Supernatural? we use to have monster of the week epis and I used to enjoyed them a lot and now it's mostly about the angel/heaven/hell arch , it got too tiresome sometimes, well now it's ending and I still miss those rando monster episodes, they were the best
              That's another show I never watched. Heard a lot of good things about that one too. Think I won't be looking for anything to watch for the next few months LOL
              "Lift up your head
              Lift up your heart..."

Comment

Originally posted by AndiIversen View Post

That's true! I enjoyed the first few seasons of Supernatural a lot but stopped watching when the series mythology took over and became too tiresome.

Comment

Originally posted by Hejira View Post

That's another show I never watched. Heard a lot of good things about that one too. Think I won't be looking for anything to watch for the next few months LOL
                  i wonder how much time it'll take to watch 15 years of that show, like a couple of months? depending..

oh and back OT I love the x-files! haha

Comment

I have never rewatched The X-Files, so most of the early seasons Isaw when I was a kid. Back then I liked the show a lot, there were some great monster of the week episodes and in the beginning the mythology was intriguing and interesting. I have watched every season, the movies and even the (rebooted) new seasons which are terrible. The whole main mythology turned out to be so weak and actually Carter has no idea where he wants to lead the show. There have been so many endings and restarts on the main mythology that it's sad a show that started out so strong and defined a TV era turned into a barely watchable mess. Due to that reason I feel no need to ever go back to the show. But I still vividly remember some episodes I've seen like 20 years ago, which does say a lot how fresh, new and impactful the show was in the beginning. I actually think that overall Millenium, a spin off from The X-Files turned out to be a better show overall. Maybe because it only had 3 seasons and was canceled before Carter could turn it into another mess. Luckily the show did get an extra episode in The X-Files post-cancellation to at least somewhat finish the Millennium story.

Off topic, but it's mentioned - I also watch(ed) Supernatural from the beginning. It was also a fun show and the mythology was pretty great to me. I preferred the mythology episodes to monster of the week ones. But once Kripke (the show creator) finished his 5 season arc and left the show to other showrunners, the mythology went down to the toilet (luckily his main arc was done and finished so they went to the whole heaven and hell theme they've been running in circles now for 10 seasons) and monster of the week episodes did indeed become better. But overall the last few seasons have been such a chore to sit through and even though they do have a great episode every now and then, it's too few to make it a good show still unfortunately. Luckily this is the last season and it has been on an upward swing. Probably because now they can comfortably finish the heaven and hell story, which should've ended back in season 8 or 9, not this last 15th one.
                    I have received many gifts from God,
                    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

OMG the episode with the cockroaches was HYSTERICAL. So so so funny. One of my faves so far.
                      "BAMBI??"
                      "Lift up your head
                      Lift up your heart..."

Comment

Originally posted by Hejira View Post
                        OMG the episode with the cockroaches was HYSTERICAL. So so so funny. One of my faves so far.
                        "BAMBI??"
                        Yes, that episode is hilarious! Scully being jealous of Bambi was the best part.

Inspired by this thread, I started re-watching the best 'monster of the week' episodes of the show. From season one, the highlights are the two Eugene Tooms episodes, the ones featuring Lynette Scavo and Felicia Tilman as well as the episode about the glowing green insects. Will start season two shortly.

Comment

I remember watching the episode "Home." I watched that episode as a child and it was my last Xfiles episode. So damn scarey.

little did I know that the Episode "Home" was actually an ICONIC episode.
                          Diva!!!

Comment

I'm well into season 4 now and I'm surprised how versatile this has become now. They play around with genres and direction while maintaining a sense of cohesiveness, very well done. The standalone episodes are hit and miss but the ones that nail it are superb.
                            Surely this show must have been the inspiration to a lot of movies in the horror/thriller/scifi genres.
                            "Lift up your head
                            Lift up your heart..."

Comment

The circus episode in season 2 ('Humbug') is fantastic, one of the best of the entire show and the first to feature explicit elements of dark humor.

Comment

The circus episode in season 2 ('Humbug') is fantastic, one of the best of the entire show and the first to feature explicit elements of dark humor.
                                Yes. LOVED that one. So many witty moments.
                                "Lift up your head
                                Lift up your heart..."

Comment

Just finished re-watching season 2.

My favourite non-alien conspiracy episodes:
                                  1) E20 'Humbug' (simply hilarious, loved the members of the circus)
                                  2) E 24 'Our Town' (loved the idea of a town of cannibals)
                                  3) E19 'Dod Kalm' (how great to see Mulder and Scully ageing rapidly)
                                  4) E14 'Die Hand die verletzt' (loved the substitute teacher/ the devil)
                                  5) E21 'The Calusari' (the opening scene is so intense)
                                  6) E13 'Irresistible' (the villain was very creepy)
                                  7) E12 'Aubrey' (loved the twist in the end)
                                  8) E22 'F. Emasculata'
                                  9) E10 'Red Museum'
                                  10) E7 '3'

Comment

Just finished re-watching season 2.

My favourite non-alien conspiracy episodes:
                                    1) E20 'Humbug' (simply hilarious, loved the members of the circus)
                                    2) E 24 'Our Town' (loved the idea of a town of cannibals)
                                    3) E19 'Dod Kalm' (how great to see Mulder and Scully ageing rapidly)
                                    4) E14 'Die Hand die verletzt' (loved the substitute teacher/ the devil)
                                    5) E21 'The Calusari' (the opening scene is so intense)
                                    6) E13 'Irresistible' (the villain was very creepy)
                                    7) E12 'Aubrey' (loved the twist in the end)
                                    8) E22 'F. Emasculata'
                                    9) E10 'Red Museum'
                                    10) E7 '3'
                                    All great episodes. The funny thing is that, since I'm binge watching this show, the change in 'tone' from season to season is quite clear.
                                    The first 2 seasons were much more subtle compared to season 3 & 4 without loss of quality. That's quite rare for a long running show, usually things degrade while the season number rises. I'm nearly finishing season 4 and it was incredibly entertaining. The chemistry between Fox and Dana really excels this season, so far.

Also, on a more superficial note, Gillian Anderson is just mesmerizing..what a stunning woman.
                                    Last edited by Hejira; Thu February 20th, 2020, 22:03.
                                    "Lift up your head
                                    Lift up your heart..."

Comment

Yes, the first 5 seasons are all very strong! A small decline in quality happened when the show wasn't filmed in Vancouver anymore but in LA (seasons 6 & 7), and then a big decline after David Duchovny wasn't a main character anymore (from season 8 onwards).

I've always been a huge fan of Scully from day one, she's one of my all-time favourite TV characters.

Comment

IIRC the show did went downhill fast after S5. It was broadcasted late at night here and I remember it felt like a chore to wait for the show and then actually watch it. I often fell asleep because the episodes weren't holding my attention.
                                        I have received many gifts from God,
                                        but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

I'm now in season 5 and loving it. Just finished the 'Bad Blood' episode, brilliant!
                                          Can't believe how fast I'm going through the whole series and how I'm still so interested. This is a first for me, I usually lose interest in series after season 3/4.
                                          "Lift up your head
                                          Lift up your heart..."

Comment

"The X-Files" is one of the best TV show of all time. Mulder&Scully are the greatest TV couple of all time
                                            My faves episodes:

Season 1
                                            1X01 Pilot
                                            1X02 Deep Throat
                                            1X08 Ice
                                            1X13 Beyond The Sea
                                            1X16 Young At Heart
                                            1X20 Darkness Falls
                                            1X24 The Erlenmeyer Flask

Season 2
                                            2X01 Little Green Men
                                            2X05 Duane Barry
                                            2X06 Ascension
                                            2X08 One Breath
                                            2X13 Irresistible
                                            2X16 Colony
                                            2X17 End Game
                                            2X19 Dd Kalm
                                            2X22 F. Emasculata
                                            2X25 Anasazi

Season 3
                                            3X01 The Blessing Way
                                            3X02 Paper Clip
                                            3X04 Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose
                                            3X08 Oubliette
                                            3X12 War of the Coprophages
                                            3X17 Pusher
                                            3X21 Avatar
                                            3X22 Quagmire
                                            3X24 Talitha Cumi

Season 4
                                            4X01 Herrenvolk
                                            4X04 Unruhe
                                            4X08 Tunguska
                                            4X09 Terma
                                            4X10 Paper Hearts
                                            4X12 Leonard Betts
                                            4X13 Never Again
                                            4X20 Small Potatoes
                                            4X23 Demons
                                            4X24 Gethsemane

Season 5
                                            5X01 Redux
                                            5X02 Redux II
                                            5X04 Detour
                                            5X05 Post-Modern Prometheus
                                            5X11 Kill Switch
                                            5X12 Bad Blood
                                            5X19 Folie Deux
                                            5X20 The End

Movie "Fight The Future"

Season 6
                                            6X01 The Beginning
                                            6X02 Drive
                                            6X03 Triangle
                                            6X04 Dreamland
                                            6X05 Dreamland II
                                            6X06 How the Ghosts Stole Christmas
                                            6X09 S.R. 819
                                            6X10 Tithonus
                                            6X14 Monday
                                            6X15 Arcadia
                                            6X18 Milagro
                                            6X21 Field Trip
                                            6X22 Biogenesis

Season 7
                                            7X01 The Sixth Extinction
                                            7X02 The Sixth Extinction II: Amor Fati
                                            7X06 Orison
                                            7X11 Closure
                                            7X12 X-Cops
                                            7X13 First Person Shooter
                                            7X17 all things
                                            7X20 Fight Club
                                            7X22 Requiem

Season 8
                                            8X04 Roadrunners
                                            8X06 Redrum
                                            8X12 Medusa
                                            8X13 Per Manum
                                            8X14 This Is Not Happening
                                            8X15 Deadalive
                                            8X18 Vienen
                                            8X20 Essence
                                            8X21 Existence

Season 9
                                            9X01 Nothing Important Happened Today
                                            9X02 Nothing Important Happened Today II
                                            9X04 4-D
                                            9X09 Provenance
                                            9X10 Providence
                                            9X19-20 The Truth

Season 10
                                            10X01 My Struggle
                                            10X03 Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster
                                            10X06 My Struggle II

Season 11
                                            11X01 My Struggle III
                                            11X03 Plus One
                                            11X07 Rm9sbG93ZXJz
                                            11X10 My Struggle IV
                                            Mariah Carey the best singer of all time
                                            My Queen! My Goddess! My Idol!
                                            Forever and always!

Comment

Mariah Carey the best singer of all time
                                              My Queen! My Goddess! My Idol!
                                              Forever and always!

Comment

My favourite non-alien conspiracy episodes of season 3:

#3 D.P.O.
                                                #4 Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose
                                                #6 2Shy
                                                #12 War of the Coprophages
                                                #13 Syzygy
                                                #22 Quagmire (poor Queequeg!)

Just started season 4, episode 2 (Home) is so intense!
                                                Last edited by Benny; Sun April 5th, 2020, 20:42.

Comment

My favourite non-alien conspiracy episodes of season 3:

#3 D.P.O.
                                                  #4 Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose
                                                  #6 2Shy
                                                  #12 War of the Coprophages
                                                  #22 Quagmire (poor Queequeg!)

Just started season 4, episode 2 (Home) is so intense!
                                                  Home is probably the scariest Episode of any TV series that I've seen ever!
                                                  Diva!!!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X