Eurovision Song Contest 2021 - Rotterdam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Blondini View Post
    People on Twitter are suggesting The Darkness for UK after that win.

Which is certainly not a bad suggestion.
    But then we’re just copying the formula, which never works out. We need to send something fresh - to be fair, Embers did stand out in respect that it was one of the only dance/pop songs on the list but it just had no appeal.

Comment

• Originally posted by greek_boy View Post
      lmao at Amanda Holden (UK spokesperson) trending on twitter because everyone is dragging her for being an ignorant!
      She was embarrassing as per!

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post
        I think there’s an interesting debate to be had, insofar as some of the so-called “big 5” do seem to do bad purely based on their status - I mean prior to 1999 and the introduction of the auto-qualification system, the U.K. won the contest 5 times and was runner up 15 times. Then...

I definitely don’t think we should fully withdraw funding as I enjoy our participation but if the consequence of automatically qualifying on the back of making massive financial contributions is that we always come last, then I think we should reduce what we pay via the BBC participation fee and try and qualify the hard way. We may never qualify again but it at least saves the inevitability of us doing so poorly in this contest year after year, regardless of who we select.

Clearly, there is a very valid challenge around the quality of the song choices as well - but at this point, I think we could put forward Adele and we’d still probably come “top 20” at best.
        I wish they’d abolish the Big 5 too, I’d love us to give the semi-finals a bash and it might make us try harder. I’d rather us not be in the final than finish last.

Comment

• Originally posted by flopho View Post
          So girls, less than one hour to go, anybody brave enough to come up with a prediction?

Spoiler!

This could be soo wrong though, this year is tough, I can see me being wrong about e.g. Malta (they end up higher) and Sweden (if juries overrate it again) and much more
          1. =
          2. -1
          3. +1
          4. -1
          5. +1
          6. -1
          7. -2
          8. -14
          9. +3
          10. +2
          11. -5
          12. -3
          13. +2
          14. +2
          15. -3
          16. +6
          17. -3
          18. +4
          19. =
          20. +3
          21. =
          22. -4
          23. -2
          24. +11
          25. +2
          26. +2

Damn I was doing so well until San Marino ruined everything still baffled how that one flopped so bad in the televote. Also Sweden surprised me a lot given the fact that they actually received less jury votes than televote ones, must be rare the last couple of years. San Marino and Moldova should switch places.
          Ne me cherche pas, je ne suis plus là, baby

Comment

• Originally posted by Thombus View Post
            I think whilst the song itself is a key driver, this Eurovision shows it's all about the performance in the end. Voila is a quaint little ballad that anyone with a voice could stand there and sing. The key to its success imo was how she gradually became more frantic throughout which left an impression, it was really powerful. Even Moldova, which was a terrible song, tried to put on a big show and it helped massively. In stark contrast, James just looked a bit awkward and there was no real oomph behind the song. His voice was very pitchy too and ultimately he faded into the background.

Completely agree about a performer like Fleur East, she'd perform the shit out of whatever she was given. Alot of talk around Steps and how they should compete, but although they sound like contemporary Eurovision fodder I reckon they'd come across too dated and fare badly as a result.

It'll be interesting to see if anything changes next year, but I doubt it will - we'll still send something non descript and cry about it when it doesn't get any recognition.
            I thought when BMG got involved to help the BBC we would be getting somewhere but it’s just getting worse.

Hopefully next year, with a new performer (a woman with any luck), we can try and move up to 25th

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post

But then we’re just copying the formula, which never works out. We need to send something fresh - to be fair, Embers did stand out in respect that it was one of the only dance/pop songs on the list but it just had no appeal.
              It sounded like Calvin Harris' 'Giant' and that song performed well in Europe. I personally never liked that song, so I didn't like its copy either.

To be honest, I don't know what could help the UK at this point. Doing the trend doesn't help, staying true to your roots doesn't help, sending a new face doesn't help, same for sending an established act (exception: Blue). I loved the swing song from a few years ago, but everyone bashed it. I just want them to finally end in the top 10 just to give them the sign not to give up.
              Pro: freedom of speech
              Contra: cancel culture

Comment

She was embarrassing as per!
                She was that typical drunk woman who tried to befriend all the gays by saying things like fabulous.
                1 Camila Cabello |2 Silk Sonic|3 Yola |4 Jennifer Hudson |5 KAWALA

Comment

• For my pennies worth....
                  Had a little debate yesterday regarding the UK and the antipathy towards us... and to a point after last nights results I feel justified... just,,,
                  It was never going to be a front runner, but it certainly didn't deserve zero points... that's all history now...
                  The BBC really now need to step up their game or hand the reigns over to some other TV company.... The humiliation is getting to much...which also must go for Germany and Spain.. investing so much into EBC, and failing .. it will be interesting to see how those 3 progress, as for Italy and to a point France , they seem to be on the right track....so what are they doing that works ?

As for last night, like all these type of contests it does boil down to personal taste, and mine did not include, Italy, France or Switzerland, it doesn't mean that they weren't good, I just didn't like them...and being totally honest and no dis respect, so glad Switzerland didn't win, imagine the 2022 EC !!, but as said personal taste, Eurovision has moved on from boom bang a bang ( thankfully ) .

It was a good contest and a handful of counties did well, another big surprise was San Marino, ( again not a personal favourite , but the hype before ! appeared to make it better than it actually was... It only scrapped through in its semi final 9th...Bulgaria another example....

I guess we can all say what was good and why did they get 12 points etc....

All i can really say, its good viewing and great to debate, I don't think i can predict a winner .. but roll onto Italy 2022, should be fun, as long as its not like 1991 !!

Comment

• Last night was a ratings smash in the U.K....

Comment

• UK, Germany and Spain (and until recently France and Italy too) flopped because their songs are just bad and unmemorable, simple as.

I remember watching Eurovision as a kid without even thinking much into politics, bias etc, and just noticing how their songs were bad every year.

Obviously they are capable of sending good stuff too, and that shows (Lena winning, Jade Ewen getting top 5, and Italy and France this year) - there’s no bias, they just don’t send good songs.

Croatia had been sending bad songs for years, even a decade, until 2021, and I never thought there was a “bias” against us for whatever reason - we deserved to flop every time it’s totally understandable that a country keeps flopping for many years, doesn’t just happen to the UK or Spain.
                      last.fm

Comment

• ^ Oh i agree

A few years ago i was watching the uk national final, only 3 not so good songs were there, in different versions. There wasn't a good song in the pre-selection. They really aren't trying that hard imho

Comment

• Having national selections help building momentum AND select a worthy song.
                          Just talking about what I know - France here - but Amir switched the whole gig for us. The song became an anthem and we were, for once, rooting for it. It sparked a fire. Then came the national selection, and Madame Monsieur won that (and trust, there were super shitty songs...), then Bilal, and they did ok. But the support was here.
                          Last year, the French committee picked Tom Leeb and it was a disaster. He’s lucky the show did not happen as I am sure the song would been below the 20th spot.
                          5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Btw my thoughts on the final results:

Didn’t like Italy that much, but I get why it won. I’m not buying the whole snorting coke story, I mean it was a live show with cameras and people everywhere, no one’s that dumb. I hate everyone accusing without actual proof. We’ll see the truth if they test the band.

I voted for France, Ukraine and Azerbaijan (what a bop my fave!).

Genuinely first thought Ukraine would win, and after jury voting started, either France or Switzerland, which I would’ve preferred.

Thankfully Malta didn’t win, I was afraid she’d get a million televotes, and find her very overrated, same with Norway.

I wish Serbia, Israel and Azerbaijan were higher.
                            last.fm

Comment

• Originally posted by KEY9481 View Post
                              Having national selections help building momentum AND select a worthy song.
                              Not always, see Conchita Wurst.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carbon View Post
                                UK, Germany and Spain (and until recently France and Italy too) flopped because their songs are just bad and unmemorable, simple as.

I remember watching Eurovision as a kid without even thinking much into politics, bias etc, and just noticing how their songs were bad every year.

Obviously they are capable of sending good stuff too, and that shows (Lena winning, Jade Ewen getting top 5, and Italy and France this year) - there’s no bias, they just don’t send good songs.

Croatia had been sending bad songs for years, even a decade, until 2021, and I never thought there was a “bias” against us for whatever reason - we deserved to flop every time it’s totally understandable that a country keeps flopping for many years, doesn’t just happen to the UK or Spain.
                                agree with all of this
                                btw did you see how close it was for Croatia in the sf? I feel soo bad for you guys, after finally choosing a good entry and then this happens I read somewhere that it was the first time an entry was in the Top 10 of both the jury and the televote but still didn't qualify
                                I don't think it would have completely slayed in the final or anything, but it definitely deserved to be there
                                Ne me cherche pas, je ne suis plus là, baby

Comment

• Dear goodness, the voting at Eurovision never ceases to disappoint.

The UK absolutely did not deserve to come last.
                                  The song was decent at the very least. It was by no means the worst thing on that stage.

I know how the voting works (in theory the UK could have been everyone's #11 - I know it wasn't - and still score no points), but in what universe does Serbia's entry for example rank higher than the UK's? What jury can justify putting them higher than the UK's entry?
                                  Mind boggling.

Portugal... Moldova... the UK was more entertaining than either of theirs.

The Netherlands was another one that in my opinion was robbed.

I'm still disappointed by the result of Spain 2019, speaking of robbed.
                                  MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• ^ having said that though... he did kinda seem like a lad just having a go at the pub, as opposed to a seasoned performer, but at least he wasn't wearing a sparkly bodysuit.

And that in in itself made him more interesting than many on that stage.
                                    MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• I'm such an AC soft alt-pop stan that I think Portugal and Belgium had the best (written) songs of the night.

That Maltese woman... got on my nerves bc you could see in her face that she wanted to win and was salty 99% of the time when her country didn't get 12 pts.

Azerbaijan had the most exciting song. It was a standout.

Germany had the cutest male which is a novum. Except for Roman Lob (2012) I'm not sure we had real cuties on that stage.

The UK's result broke my heart bc I think he wasn't bad at all and the song is indeed decent.

Iceland and Finland were cute!!! I loved their bops too.

My heart melted tho when Mans was performing. Such an incredible performer. So much charisma. He stole the show. He should return for Sweden next year. (and Marco for Italy).

My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by greek_boy View Post

I am not buying the broken glass excuse but i cannot accept that he publicly snorted cocaine in front of his delegation and cameras... he did acted weird though.

EBU has announced in a statement that they are investigating the issue. I bet there are lots of cameras that can show what happened!
                                        He also said he doesn't take drugs at all. Listening to their earlier material (which sounds like Maroon 5) i believe him.

Comment

• Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post
                                          Yes the juries came in to try and solve bias, but Greece/Cyprus are now just giving each other 24 points rather than 12 and they won't be the only ones...I mean, Moldova??
                                          It's interesting that UK and Malta used to always give each other 12 points. That no longer happens. Not to mention UK and Ireland.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blondini View Post

It's interesting that UK and Malta used to always give each other 12 points. That no longer happens. Not to mention UK and Ireland.
                                            The UK and Ireland are not technically neighbours anymore since the UK left Europe (the continent) and apparently Ireland still views itself as part of the geographical continent.
                                            My Chart

Comment

Ladytron have RT'ed their original tweet to prove they weren't joking so i'm pinning my hopes on them or Little Boots. https://twitter.com/LadytronMusic/with_replies

Comment

• I think So Solid Crew need to get back together....well at least get 6 of them.
                                                1 Camila Cabello |2 Silk Sonic|3 Yola |4 Jennifer Hudson |5 KAWALA

Comment

• Oh, hang on!

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                                                    My heart melted tho when Mans was performing. Such an incredible performer. So much charisma. He stole the show. He should return for Sweden next year. (and Marco for Italy).
                                                    I wouldn't mind Mans not being present in one ESC for once. He's performed there like every year since his victory, and the song was a copy of Guetta's 'Lovers of the Sun' basically.

stevyy : You're mixing geography and politics when it comes to the UK and Ireland.
                                                    Last edited by theMathematician; Sun May 23, 2021, 15:14.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X