Eurovision Song Contest 2021 - Rotterdam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^ What did she say ?
    Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
    Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• I just realised that there's one more of the international jurors that I have heard of. On Australia's jury was 86-year-old Kamahl, who had a number one hit in Belgium and the Netherlands back in 1975 with "The Elephant Song":

While I could be wrong, I doubt that many 86-year-olds would have been picking up the telephone or sending a text to contribute towards the other half of the points.....
      Counting down this week - the UKMixParade Top 200 of 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Blondini View Post

It's interesting that UK and Malta used to always give each other 12 points. That no longer happens. Not to mention UK and Ireland.
        Actually, the last time Malta gave 12p to UK was in 2016 (Maltese jury, not public). The Maltese public gave 12p to UK in 2007 (Scooch) and that was televoting.

I thought even Ireland would give 1-3 pts to UK as they usually do....

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post

Blue can’t get a top 10 album or play arenas though. They are on a totally different level to Steps now.
          But that’s all in the UK. Europe’s a different market.

Comment

More Twitter developments:

This does risk us becoming a joke of a different kind if we get Count Binface or a Drag Queen but at least it will be memorable! Bill Bailey would be doing a rock song as that's his thing.
            who is little boots?

oh god, it's so bad when the UK relies on drag queens for a music contest. I just refuse to believe there is no new talent that can enter this contest, it's just BBC being incapable and the people in charge of the Eurovision project.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
              ^ What did she say ?
              Amanda Holden said "Bon soir. Goedenavond. That is good evening in French and Dutch although I've got absolutely no idea which is which."

It may have been meant to be a joke (somehow it brought to my mind Sara Cox once asking twins representing another country in a previous contest when/how they originally met) but seems to have gone down rather badly.
              Counting down this week - the UKMixParade Top 200 of 2020

Comment

I’m not surprised by the UK coming last - it’s was a crappy song for 2021, and sounded like something Cheryl would have done seven years ago.

The UK rating show it’s still money well spent and is relatively cheap so I don’t think we should withdraw, but this stage it really does feel like the UK has tried everything except send a Drag Queen at this point. A retro pop song (think Steps) is required IMO.
                I don't understand why the UK should send a drag queen?? As if all the countries have sent drag queens? Recycling the Conchita concept is not going to work. It's as if saying that since Eleni Foureira came 2nd with Cyprus, we should send another Eleni Foureira for success. Guess what, Cyprus tried it and failed.

UK hasn't tried everything, cmon guys, the British music industry is diverse and very talented, better than drag queens and Scooch.

Comment

• Little Boots going on Eurovision would be great
                  last.fm

Comment

• Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post
                    exactly, so cringy, confirming all the stereotypes Europeans have about British people... well done BBC for asking her to be the spokesperson!

Comment

• Originally posted by greek_boy View Post

I don't understand why the UK should send a drag queen?? As if all the countries have sent drag queens? Recycling the Conchita concept is not going to work. It's as if saying that since Eleni Foureira came 2nd with Cyprus, we should send another Eleni Foureira for success. Guess what, Cyprus tried it and failed.

UK hasn't tried everything, cmon guys, the British music industry is diverse and very talented, better than drag queens and Scooch.
                      Nothing to do with Conchita and everything to do with camp, silly fun:

I'm like a dream within a dream that's been decoded

#FreeBritney

Comment

• Tom Aspaul is a low-key cool popstar from Wolverhampton, he has some good stuff on Spotify!

Comment

Ladytron have RT'ed their original tweet to prove they weren't joking so i'm pinning my hopes on them or Little Boots. https://twitter.com/LadytronMusic/with_replies
                          OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG please tell me they are not joking. BBC what are you waiting for?

Ladytron's music is sooo different, it will not be ignored.

Comment

Nothing to do with Conchita and everything to do with camp, silly fun:

Again why do we think that silly, camp entry would do well? Didn't the UK send Scooch and failed? It will be very humiliating for the UK but at the same time, it's better to come last with drag queens than a talented artist like James.

Comment

• i know he's a comedian but this is what more or less people in UK think of Eurovision and that's why serious artists will not want to take the risk and take part...

Comment

exactly, so cringy, confirming all the stereotypes Europeans have about British people... well done BBC for asking her to be the spokesperson!
                                there was also another cringe moment that was Carola (Swedish spokesperson, 1991 winner) braggiing.
                                Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                                  Last night was a ratings smash in the U.K....

OMG wow!!!!!!!!!!! just shows you that eurovision is not an irrelevant TV show (as some people might claim). If only BBC had taken it seriously..... how i wish ITV was in charge...

Comment

• UK should have sent Big Shaq in 2018, just sayin'

Comment

• Originally posted by heppolo View Post

there was also another cringe moment that was Carola (Swedish spokesperson, 1991 winner) braggiing.
                                      ahahahahahahhaha and the 'god bless you' wtfff but at least she wasn't arrogant

Comment

OMG wow!!!!!!!!!!! just shows you that eurovision is not an irrelevant TV show (as some people might claim). If only BBC had taken it seriously..... how i wish ITV was in charge...
                                        ITV would add Simon Cowell or somebody similar to the picture

Comment

• Little Boots is a synthpop artist who had one big album around the time of La Roux breaking out - she's more of a known name than Ladytron.

Though she hasn't made a big (sounding) pop song in years!

Comment

Again why do we think that silly, camp entry would do well? Didn't the UK send Scooch and failed? It will be very humiliating for the UK but at the same time, it's better to come last with drag queens than a talented artist like James.
                                            We have tried doing contemporary.
                                            We have tried sending an established boyband.
                                            We have tried sending across a performer with an established career in Europe.
                                            We have tried with a song by one of our greatest composers.
                                            We have tried with an older act.
                                            We have tried with a younger act.
                                            We have tried uptempo.
                                            We have tried ballads.
                                            We have tried quirky.

What did it get us? Into the top 10 twice in 20 years. Even Scooch got points. I don’t think we are humiliated, but I think if we are going to continue entering, we have to move away from ‘What will appeal in Europe?’ and just start having fun with it for the audience in the UK. Taking it seriously isn’t working.

#FreeBritney

Comment

• Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post
                                              I wonder whether there would be a significant drop in viewing figures if the big 5 countries didn't make the final. It would be interesting to see what numbers the BBC could pull in on a Saturday night without the UK at the final.
                                              I disagree. I don't really think people in the UK watch the final because they support the UK entry (nobody has heard the UK entry until Saturday anyway), they watch ESC because it's a tradition every year and they love the drama and the performances.

I think having the BIG 5 in the semifinals will increase the interest for the semifinals in the BIG 5s (watched by less than 1m in every BIG 5 country) and it will be fair for the countries instead of having 5 countries qualifying directly to the final regardless of how good their songs are.

Comment

Little Boots is a synthpop artist who had one big album around the time of La Roux breaking out - she's more of a known name than Ladytron.

Though she hasn't made a big (sounding) pop song in years!

Sounds good!! as long as it's not a novelty act or a safe and forgettable entry...

Comment

I disagree. I don't really think people in the UK watch the final because they support the UK entry (nobody has heard the UK entry until Saturday anyway), they watch ESC because it's a tradition every year and they love the drama and the performances.

I think having the BIG 5 in the semifinals will increase the interest for the semifinals in the BIG 5s (watched by less than 1m in every BIG 5 country) and it will be fair for the countries instead of having 5 countries qualifying directly to the final regardless of how good their songs are.
                                                  I think people in the UK watch to find exactly how bad we do.

#FreeBritney

Comment

• Originally posted by heppolo View Post

ITV would add Simon Cowell or somebody similar to the picture
                                                    I have no problem with that because he is not the type to lose so he will work hard for a successful result.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X