No announcement yet.

It's A Sin [Channel 4 / All 4 / HBO Max]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On second viewing i have more criticisms regarding character development ​​​​​​ I didnt like how NPH’s character and his partner ended so abruptly. I feel there was a bit more to explore with them. Unless the only point they wanted to make was AIDS took people’s lives by surprise ​.
    Roscoe (in my view) suddenly became a background character towards the end and Ritchie’s mom took a more central position with her sudden personality change (which was jarring to me because her views didn’t matter much throughout the earlier episodes). This was unfair imo.
    Ash appeared to love/adore Ritchie (or they wanted the viewer to think so) but it wasn’t convincing at all. And the guy seemed like wallpaper throughout.
    I think these could have been solved if they stretched it to 3-4 more episodes.

Overall, still worth a watch.
    Last edited by SpyVsSpy; Sat February 6, 2021, 05:57.

Comment

In terms of television, episode 3 (??) aired last night and so the tragedy has really started to ramp up for those who didn’t binge watch the show - seeing loads of comments on Twitter from people about the show.

Also, not sure this was posted but just in case it wasn’t...

Comment

That’s massive for a LGBTQ+ based show. It’s great to see such a widespread impact.

Comment

Finally finished this. What a rollercoaster. So sad.

We need more people like Jill in the world.
          LJC--->>

Comment

Very sad.

Comment

I've made it to episode 4 in my rewatch and I need a break before episode 5. I'm emotionally ruined again
              Rolling back the rivers in time...

Comment

What. A. Show!

Just finished binge-watching this, and yes, we need more Jill's and less of Ritchie's mama

Comment

Finished it the other week over 2 days. Definitely one that leaves you thinking about it a while after and thankful to have grown up and gone through my coming out after that period (although I still had a healthy respect for getting myself more informed about it in the early-mid 2000's), would've been terrifying to live through as a gay man, even with the attitudes towards condoms being seen more as a pregnancy prevention tool/who cares if you got some easily treatable std (until this killer one popped up and people started dropping off).

You had the early panic where they had no clue what it was and there was no clear cut knowledge (and a hell of a lot of misinformation) about how it spread and how to avoid it.I totally empathised with that coffee cup sequence and also the whole thing is so timely with whats going on with Covid and some parallels in some regards.

The homophobia of the time was also quite heartbreaking and to think how far we've come yet this was only 30-40 years ago (In Australia Homosexuality was only decriminalised in NSW in 1984 and in Tasmania it took until 1997), and this compounding feeling for some of these victims that they somehow deserved what was happening to them, or avoiding testing and knowing their status because a) the overwhelming mortality outlook of a positive diagnosis at the time b) the social impact of losing their jobs, being cut off from family and friends.

Makes me want to watch some related things but I needed a few days with something lighter.
                  Last edited by Affillate; Tue February 23, 2021, 03:12.
                  UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

Phenomenal really - amazing also that C4 wouldn’t commission this for years.

Comment

That is amazing. Power of the LGBTQIA+
                      LJC--->>

Comment

I tried watching this, and it is good. My problem is I've watched so many series and movies on the AIDS crisis, that basically I had the entire plot figured out by the second minute. Also, it's a bit too gay-focused for my liking. There has been a history of erasure of trans people during the AIDS crisis, and this series has not really helped in terms of representation. They could have done better.

Comment

^I don’t really agree. A show can’t capture every perspective and voice. It would definitely have been a great opportunity for trans inclusion but I’m not sure essential. Pose has brought this to life in a fantastic way
                          You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

Comment

Working...
                          X