Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post

Please not Italy
    It better not be, it’s been a shambles! Spain has already said they’re hosting (even if they don’t win by the sounds of it )
    You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
      This year's contest is one of the weakest in recent memory for me though, especially after last year's.
      It definitely is.
      Find me here:
      https://www.last.fm/user/jordi_89
      https://instagram.com/jordivanderwaal

Comment

• Originally posted by nympho View Post

Sorry, but I think you don’t know much about it…

She got that % of the televoting because Tanxugueiras were singing in Galician and, guess you don’t know much about Spanish politics and history, but as it would happen if someone was singing in Catalan, the nationalism was above the music. Benidorm Fest share in Galicia was HUGE. Everybody there were rooting for Tanxus. Even “Ay mama” by Rigoberta, the true favourite of the night and a huge hit in Spain got only 18% of televoting (vs 70% Tanxugueiras).
        So the % she had in Benidorm Fest has absolutely nothing to do with public not liking the song.

In fact I think it’s going to be the other way round… I think she’ll do better with public votes than jury’s votes.

Regarding the “major label connections”… she’s signed to BMG Spain, which is a really small label right now, they’re just getting started (not to be confused with the old BMG, absorbed by Sony Music years ago). And, in fact, she’s the biggest act they have right now. So I don’t know what you’re talking about.

I get it, it’s not your type of song, or your kind of winner… we all have different tastes, but enough with the lame excuses of the reasons she might end up with a good result.
        She’s an amazing artist, with major dance skills, good voice and her performance is, by far, one of the best of the final (even if you dislike the song).
        Not to open that can of worms again, but Galicia has around 5% of the population of Spain. Even if 100% of the people interested in Eurovision actually voted, which is what probably happened, doesn't make much of a difference. ****** still had 4% compared to Rigoberta which had 18%. And I get why some countries would hire better producers and dancers (or more famous ones) in order to get a better result on Eurovision (like Cyprus did last year even if it didn't work).
        The issue is if you're gonna pretend you care about what the public wants (like TVE said), don't change it so drastically at the last minute.
        Find me here:

Comment

• The second Semifinal was almost as disappointing as the first. Some of the qualifiers were awful. And even if Cyprus didn't impress vocally, she had the best staging. Montenegro gave a really good performance, and I don't like the song at all. Is**el was MESSY and I'm glad it didn't qualify, while Romania was less annoying live than in the recording (I still find that "hola my bébebe" part ridiculous though).
          Find me here:

Comment

• A lot of people are saying that either Ukraine or Sweden are gonna win, and while I agree, I still think Norway could beat them if they rock the televote.

I think the Top 10 is gonna be (in no particular order):

Ukraine, Sweden, Serbia, Spain, UK, Norway, Greece, Moldova, Australia (even though I don't like it) and Romania (because of the gay votes).

Now watch Finland get in the Top 10 with a performance that's not memorable at all just because of the rock fans.
            Find me here:

Comment

• Sweden really has to win in my opinion. The song is too good not to become an instant classic. And I feel like I'm always a Sweden hater
              I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
              I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

• Originally posted by jordi_89 View Post

Not to open that can of worms again, but Galicia has around 5% of the population of Spain. Even if 100% of the people interested in Eurovision actually voted, which is what probably happened, doesn't make much of a difference. ****** still had 4% compared to Rigoberta which had 18%. And I get why some countries would hire better producers and dancers (or more famous ones) in order to get a better result on Eurovision (like Cyprus did last year even if it didn't work).
                The issue is if you're gonna pretend you care about what the public wants (like TVE said), don't change it so drastically at the last minute.
                Benidorm Fest had an overall share of 21% in Spain. Great result. In Galicia: 49,6%. In 12 out of 17 autonomous communities in Spain, the share was below 20%.
                Benidorm Fest was the most watched non-sports TV show in Galicia in 4 years (since ESC Final in 2018, 51%)... In fact it had a bigger share there than every ESC Final -except 2018- on the last decade. Which should give you an idea of how massive it was.
                Not to mention that, the % of people watching vs. people voting in other communities was nowhere as close in other places as it was in Galicia.

It's simple maths and common sense why Tanxugueiras got that result in televoting and where it mostly came from...

But... anyway... still trying to use the Benidorm Fest televoting card, months later, the day of ESC Final and with Chanel smashing so hard... Trying to make it look as if she was the 1st and only entry in ESC history to represent their country despite not being the televoting 1st option... or trying to make it look as if working with the best producers and choreographers out there was indeed something to be reproached.

I'm sure rest of UKMix is bored of it by now... so sorry for the off topic, and let's go back to the present day and tonight's final.

Comment

• Originally posted by DnBLover View Post
                  Sweden really has to win in my opinion. The song is too good not to become an instant classic. And I feel like I'm always a Sweden hater
                  And I‘m always a Sweden lover but Hold Me Closer doesn‘t connect with me so far

Comment

• For me, there's too much of Sia in Hold Me Closer - music wise and vocal wise. On the other hand, I still hear Shallow in this song.

Comment

• Sweden’s song is good, the chorus is quite anthemic however I feel like there’s something missing also.

The stage is empty when she performs and also there’s this weird feeling that I have; I find the song rather “cold” and “distant”. It’s like yes you like it when you listen to it but it also feels like there’s no emotion attached to it.
                      It’s weird, at least for me.

Comment

• 'Hold Me Closer' is one of those songs that will still sound great in 10, 20 or 30 years time. Not many of the others are timeless like that.

I think Serbia is the dark horse, I would not be surprised if it wins the whole thing.
                        Come Play: GUESS THE VIDEO!

Comment

• Well, I agree. It sounds like a classic power ballad. It's very neutral, but it still sounds too obvious imo. For me, De Diepte would be a better choice.
                          Serbia - I don't get this one at all. Very art, interestic, but nothing more. If it was an UK/German/Polish ect. entry, it'd be criticized by everyone.
                          It's a pure beauty of Eurovision - tons of songs, tons of people, tons of favourite ones ;)

Comment

• I can’t see a scenario where Ukraine doesn’t win tonight so it’ll be all eyes on second place. I’ll be super disappointed if UK don’t finish top 10 at least, especially with that position in the order and the odds.

Forgot to say one of my favourites is actually Czech Republic but I don’t expect it to do much. Interested to see where Serbia and Sweden end up!

Comment

Forgot to say one of my favourites is actually Czech Republic but I don’t expect it to do much. Interested to see where Serbia and Sweden end up!
                              Czech Republic is constantly being sabotaged by this early running order (2016, 2019 and now), the only time they were in the second half (2018) they opened that half as well
                              Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• Originally posted by breatheonme View Post
                                Sweden’s song is good, the chorus is quite anthemic however I feel like there’s something missing also
                                Underneath all the sensitivity and GaGa/Shallow-ish rawness, the actual melody still screams borderline schlager to me. Felt the same about "Undo" in 2014
                                Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• Originally posted by heppolo View Post

Underneath all the sensitivity and GaGa/Shallow-ish rawness, the actual melody still screams borderline schlager to me. Felt the same about "Undo" in 2014
                                  What's schlager?
                                  I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                                  I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

• While I initially cringed at the idea of Ukraine winning this year's contest just out of sympathy, having heard all the songs, their entry is probably most worthy of taking home the title.

Extremely weak year all in all.

Comment

• I think Ukraine will end up in top 5 by jury votes, but I think it’s kinda sure thing that they’ll win televote.

Serbia will overtake 12 points from Ukraine on televote in certain countries (Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, North Macedonia). Spain, Greece and Scandi countries may also give 12 points to Sweden/Norway…

Ukraine my get the best result in history by televote.

I still hope they don’t win and that Spain and Serbia ends up in top 2!
                                      BEST SONGS&ALBUMS OF 2017
                                      YOURS, FOREVER. // JOSS JONES (Tracklist)

Comment

• I have a feeling Poland could surprise everyone, the diaspora vote will be strong this year for them.

Comment

I have a feeling Poland could surprise everyone, the diaspora vote will be strong this year for them.
                                          Yeah, it used to be strong with rather random entries so we‘ll see how it works out with an actual good entry.

Ukraine being so well ahead in the odds and due to the circumstances, it actually takes away a lot of excitement for tonight.

Estonia, Sweden, Poland, Serbia, UK and Spain will definitely be Top10. Fingers crossed for the Netherlands as well, and I wouldn‘t rule out surprising successes for Finland, France, Iceland and Australia.

And maybe a bit mean, but I kinda hope Italy flops…

Comment

• Originally posted by Murat View Post

Nice, didn't realize they had any standing tickets at all this year, hope you get a good spot close to the stage! I'll be there as well tomorrow night, plus got another ticket for the actual SF1 liveshow in the 2nd wave of sales so tomorrow starts a 3-day in person Eurovision experience!
                                            They were shown as 'parterre' (standing) tickets but actually they were assigned seats in front of the stage - you might have noticed them in the live shows or in the shows you attended. SF1 jury was not sold out so I got them and I was in front of the stage (my first ESC experience!). OMG the pyros were too much for us in the front haha

I was told that the OGAE got the most standing tickets for the live shows.

Comment

I have a feeling Poland could surprise everyone, the diaspora vote will be strong this year for them.
                                              Agreed! Even though it's not one of the stand out entries, the combined votes could push it very high! Ochman lacks of stage charisma though, he closes his eyes all the time and does not look confident.

Comment

• I am surprised Spain is not higher in betting odds. The performance is clearly the best of the grand final.

In the arena, Spain got the biggest applause in the jury final - I felt it was bigger than Brividi. So many Spanish fans there (#chanelazo), looks like Spain is VERY passionate to win this year, even the Spanish broadcaster is totally behind this purpose.

Moldova, Norway and Serbia will score high in televoting (Serbia and Norway could be in the top 5 of televoting) but juries will most likely hurt them.

Sweden and UK are equally good and are potential winners (could do great with juries and ok with televoters).

I don't see Italy and the Netherlands doing great but I hope they do!

Belgium, Germany and Switzerland could end up last, maybe Switzerland?

Originally posted by Frederic View Post
                                                While I initially cringed at the idea of Ukraine winning this year's contest just out of sympathy, having heard all the songs, their entry is probably most worthy of taking home the title.

Extremely weak year all in all.
                                                I still cringe! The song is cool, I like it from the first listen during their national final BUT it's not a winning song and wouldn't have been n1 in the betting odds if there was no war.

Comment

• Originally posted by greek_boy View Post
                                                  Belgium, Germany and Switzerland could end up last, maybe Switzerland?
                                                  Marius Bear is giving me Anna Rossinelli vibes - both are great singers and have a solid, but more boring entry. Anna was #10 in the semi and last place in the final back then, I'm expecting the same for Marius this year.

Comment

• Will be watching this year at a party. Havent listened or watched anything but im sure this will be great fun
                                                    See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                                    See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

Working...
                                                    X