X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne
    Site Owner
    • 07 Sep 2006

The Apprentice 2022

Well, I’m delighted it’s back but I’m devastated about the fact that Claude won’t be on the show!

The Apprentice: Tim Campbell 'honoured' to stand in for Claude Littner

Former Apprentice winner Tim Campbell says it is a "great honour" to be standing in for Lord Sugar's assistant Claude Littner on this year's show.

Littner, 72, will be absent from the 16th series of the BBC One business programme following a cycling accident.

Campbell, who became the first ever Apprentice in 2005, said returning to the show was like coming "full circle".

"It was a great regret when we heard about Claude, who is such a massive part of the franchise," he said.

"We're really pleased that he's doing well and he's on the road to recovery."

Littner's accident occurred last April while riding an electric bike. The 72-year-old injured his right leg so badly that doctors considered amputating it.

As a result, he was unable to film The Apprentice, so Campbell was assigned to follow the two teams, along with Lord Sugar's other aide, Karren Brady.

Campbell joined Sugar's company Amstrad on a £100,000 salary after winning the first series in 2005. He went on to set up his own digital marketing agency and was made an MBE in 2012.

"It's a great honour to have come full circle," Campbell said. "Having been on the other side of the table I definitely understand what [the candidates] are all going through. And it's a great honour to be working alongside Baroness Brady in assessing these candidates and seeing how they all get on."

But any candidates who might have been expecting some help from Campbell, as a former contestant, were left disappointed.

"It was very easy not to give hints and tips, because I didn't get any when it was my turn!" he laughed.

The new series of the BBC show, which begins on Thursday, will see 16 entrepreneurs battle it out to win £250,000 worth of investment into their business.

Speaking at a virtual press conference ahead of the new series, Lord Sugar paid tribute to the BBC One show's production team for managing to film the show during the Covid pandemic.

"One thing I can tell you is that you will not see one mask throughout the whole of the 12 episodes," Lord Sugar said.

Regular testing and social distancing were among the measures taken to ensure the series could be filmed safely, in the spring of last year, while many members of the production team wore masks behind the scenes.

"I take my hat off to [executive producer] Paul Broadbent and his team to managing to get this thing done, in very difficult times," Lord Sugar said. "It was a very difficult thing to do.

"Having said that, this shows you how great and resourceful people can be under problems, which is what us British are good at. And the challenge of doing this thing through Covid, we just took it in our stride."

Covid references loom large in this series, however, with Lord Sugar telling the candidates during the opening episode: "In this board room, you don't get furloughed, you get fired."

Baroness Brady told journalists: "It was a mammoth task in itself keeping everybody safe. That was the priority of the production team and everyone involved.

"There was constant testing, we maintained social distancing where we could, we wore masks when we weren't filming. But Tim and I keep our distance [from the candidates] anyway."

Viewers will not be disappointed by this year's crop of candidates who, as usual, are not shy about making truly ridiculous statements.

Candidate Harry Mahmood, a regional operations manager from the West Midlands, says he hopes to work with Lord Sugar to develop his business and become "the bad boys of the bath bomb world together".

Alex Short, the owner of a commercial cleaning company in Hertford, says: "I would compare myself to a Ferrari, shiny on the outside but under the bonnet, there is a lot of fire and I'm coming for you".

Boutique cocktail bar owner Sophie Wildingdeclares: "Failure is not an option, winning is part of my DNA."

Ashkay Thakrar, the owner of a digital marketing company, says his friends "call me AK47 because I'm a killer salesperson" and claims that his first word as a new-born was "profit".

The other candidates on the show include Aaron Willis, a flight operations instructor and ex-RAF member, Akeem Bundu-Kamara, a strategy manger for a financial firm, beauty brand owner Amy Anzel, hotel front of house manager Brittany Carter, sales executive Conor Gilsenan, and mother-of-five Shama Amin.

The line-up is completed by Francesca Kennedy Wallbank, a sustainability company owner, Harpreet Kaur, a dessert parlour owner, online pyjama store owner Kathryn Louise Burn,pharmacist Navid Sole, finance manager Nick Showering, and Stephanie Affleck, the owner of an online children's store.

Francesca Kennedy Wallbank of Surrey is among those vying to win £250,000 investment in the new series.
  • Thriller
    Administrator
    • 13 Dec 2003

Buzzing for this, it's always a pleasure to watch them balls up so badly! Although I hope we see some strong candidates in the mix earlier on this time, rather than them suddenly being savvy in the final 5.

Comment

• BehindBreakaway
      Superstar
      • 01 Nov 2016

Can not wait. And I think we get 2 series this year. This and then one for the BBC centenary in Autumn!
      Turn the lights down low and kiss me in the dark
      'Cause when you're touching me, baby, I see sparks..

Comment

• Artoo
        • 01 May 2005

I hope this is good and worth the wait. I love it when they mess up, but I love it when they get it right more.
        I don't need no good advice, I'm already wasted​.

Comment

• Thombus
          Superstar
          • 07 Nov 2005

As a marketer, I'm cringing beyond belief at the first episode

Comment

• Thriller
            Administrator
            • 13 Dec 2003

OMG the “turd” logo the boys team are pathetic, even though he was annoying that Harry was the only one talking sense, they definitely targeted him in the boardroom, their egos sheesh…

The girls only won cos the boys were so dire, the Bouji thing was cheesy and nonsensical.

This cast have the potential to be explosive, so much bickering for episode one.

Comment

• Wayne
              Site Owner
              • 07 Sep 2006

Harry's comment in the taxi...so deserved to go!

The boys were an absolute shambles - that logo!!!!

Comment

• BehindBreakaway
                Superstar
                • 01 Nov 2016

That logo was one of the worst logos ever created on the show. How they even thought it said cruise is beyond me. Absolute mess of a team. The girls basically won by default because they weren't much better. I'm already counting down the days until next week
                Turn the lights down low and kiss me in the dark
                'Cause when you're touching me, baby, I see sparks..

Comment

• Foeverfan
                  • 16 Feb 2021

I was hoping for something different.. but alas its the same old rubbish start and format...... Boys were terrible and girls not much better all those egos.. how they can all fit in the board room....lol

Comment

• hun
                    The Diva
                    • 13 Feb 2010

Harry was so annoying but wanted him to stay for the drama.

Shama is early fav - wonder if anybody has told her what bouji means yet.

Comment

• aaliyahman
                      Legend
                      • 14 Jun 2006

Omg I’ve been waiting all last year for this!! So happy it’s back!
                      "What goes around comes back around my baby"

Comment

• SholasBoy
                        Administrator and Site Supporter
                        • 02 Aug 2002

So pleased this is back, it was a great first episode, I would have sent "asshole" or whatever he was called home though, he was the typical candidate that way overestimates his abilities. Nobody's "friend" has ever nicknamed them AK-47. Get out. The girls were pretty poor too, Bouji, what, that phrase hasn't been used in at least 5 years, and her idea of luxury being basically a bottomless brunch on a boat, just no. As for the boys logo....

Bring on epsiode 2!
                        THIS WEEKS TOP 5
                        Beyonce | LUNA | YG Marley | Debbie | Raiven

Comment

• LJC123
                          Manager
                          • 28 Feb 2005

Jesus these people are the best business minds they could find?! Bunch of trollops. It’s a shame it’s turned into a fame hungry reality show, used to have some really good contestants.

Anyway, first episode was a complete shambles all round. And Alan needs to stop with the cringe jokes. I miss Claude.
                          LJC--->>

Comment

• hun
                            The Diva
                            • 13 Feb 2010

Originally posted by SholasBoy
                            So pleased this is back, it was a great first episode, I would have sent "asshole" or whatever he was called home though, he was the typical candidate that way overestimates his abilities. Nobody's "friend" has ever nicknamed them AK-47. Get out. The girls were pretty poor too, Bouji, what, that phrase hasn't been used in at least 5 years, and her idea of luxury being basically a bottomless brunch on a boat, just no. As for the boys logo....

Bring on epsiode 2!
                            ‘whatever he was called’ is a problematic thing to say. His name is Akshay - it’s not difficult.

Comment

• SholasBoy
                              Administrator and Site Supporter
                              • 02 Aug 2002

Originally posted by hun

‘whatever he was called’ is a problematic thing to say. His name is Akshay - it’s not difficult.
                              It was problematic for me, yes.
                              THIS WEEKS TOP 5
                              Beyonce | LUNA | YG Marley | Debbie | Raiven

Comment

• Artoo
                                • 01 May 2005

What a frustrating first episode. The only one of the boys that didn’t deserve to go was Harry - no one else had a clue!

The poor guy pulled them up on all of their crappy decisions and when it all went wrong he was blamed. He even told the other half of the team the logo was crap before they saw it, yet was accused of ‘running with it’ once it was pointed out how bad it was. But then Karen joined in and I knew it was game over for him

I really didn’t like Akshay’s aggression in the board room (he was very angry). Nor was I a fan of the mean girls in the pool thinking they know best, making Amy feel like going forward she’ll have to act like a bitch (as she said at the end).

I really enjoy this show but the whole ‘let’s set them up to fail’ approach is becoming very outdated and actually, pretty uncomfortable at times to watch. I understand it’s a TV show and they’re looking for people who can get results under pressure, but the behind the scenes manipulation is pretty transparent at this point.
                                I don't need no good advice, I'm already wasted​.

Comment

• Thriller
                                  Administrator
                                  • 13 Dec 2003

OMG the boys have designed a turd for the second week in a row

The girls’ app is shite though.

Comment

• Thombus
                                    Superstar
                                    • 07 Nov 2005

Is it just me or are the taxi scenes green screened??

Comment

• Thriller
                                      Administrator
                                      • 13 Dec 2003

That “stats” guy was coming across like Matt Hancock with his twisted “facts” and figures.

Comment

• Thriller
                                        Administrator
                                        • 13 Dec 2003

Originally posted by Thombus
                                        Is it just me or are the taxi scenes green screened??
                                        Not noticed this, surely not?!

Comment

Working...