Drag Race Philippines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag Race Philippines

OUT - AUGUST 17 with the first international edition Untucked.

Jiggly Caliente was announced as one of the judges.

I think she is the best fit among the queens who competed in the whole franchise for several reasons:
    - She speaks Filipino fluently
    - Has lived a long time here and definitely understands the cultural references
    - Her connections and involvement with the local drag community

Comment

HOST:

Paolo Ballesteros

- TV host / actor / comedian

- regularly hosts and performs in drag on national TV since 2005
      - went viral internationally in 2015 for his celebrity makeup transformations
      - has lead roles in several LGBTQ+ movies, most notably the critically-acclaimed 2016 film, "Die Beautiful"
      - multi-awarded actor, most known for winning Best Actor in a Tokyo film award. He attended the show and accepted the award in drag.
      - recently a mentor and gown designer for national beauty pageant contestants

Comment

Looking forward to this.
        Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time: [#55]
        Akini's Favourite Films: [25-21]
        Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 As It Was [6 weeks]
        AlbumClash 2.0: [Beyoncé vs. Ari Lennox vs. Rina Sawayama]

Yeah, they smile to your face and Prop-8 you in the back.

Comment

Haha, this debuts just one day after I'll be back from my Philippines vacation this summer!

Happy for Jiggly. Excited for the show overall... my fiancé is Pinoy and I love their culture, so I'm excited to see how they do on Drag Race. Also loooved the Thailand season (2, at least).

Comment

We're still not getting an official announcement but the expected host just landed a cover and a drag edition of the top fashion magazine in the Philippines. Probably in preparation for what's coming, as he doesn't really do fashion photoshoots in drag unless it's for his movies.

Can't wait for the looks and fashion he'll serve in the show. He is also witty and funny so I'm excited for the world to get to know him.

Comment

Paolo Ballesteros is officially announced as the host:

This look is a serve!

Some references:
              - the print on the dress shows historical Manila landmarks, most notably the monument of Dr. Jose Rizal, the national hero of the Philippines
              - the flowers on the dress and the earrings are sampaguita, the national flower of the Philippines

It looks like the colors on the logo have changed. Probably inspired by the jeepney, an iconic vehicle used as public transport.

Comment

Finally!!!!

Comment

Comment

Last edited by xtofer; Wed July 27, 2022, 02:47.

Comment

Promo and Meet the Queens - Reference check:

Comment

This promo trailer is chaotic and campy... love it!

Comment

Drag Race Philippines premiers today!

Let's take a look at the queen's first insta update:

#1 Minty Fresh - 21,594
                          #2 Brigiding - 20,726
                          #3 Gigi Era - 19,148
                          #4 Prince - 14,638
                          #5 Viñas DeLuxe - 13,946
                          #6 Precious Paula Nicole - 11,319
                          #7 Marina Summers - 9,751
                          #8 Eva Le Queen - 6,222
                          #9 Turing - 5,193
                          #10 Corazon - 4,195
                          #11 Lady Morgana - 3,300
                          #12 Xilhouete - 3,212

Comment

DR Philippines is different.

The episodes are too long, there are messy parts.

And the Queens are screaming too much, it’s annoying

I will watch it for sure…
                            BEST SONGS&ALBUMS OF 2017
                            YOURS, FOREVER. // JOSS JONES (Tracklist)

Comment

I loved the first 2 episodes! It actually feels like such an exciting start to the franchise and I'm definitely counting down until the next episode. The queens are energetic and hungry for competition and I love to see it. All the queens just seem so passionate to show how drag in the Philippines is and I love to see it.

The queens who stood out to me in the first 2 eps are Eva La Queen, Minty, Precious and Marina too.

Comment

Love the first two episodes - great cast, great judging panel!

Vinas and Minty are smashing. I don't really see what they are seeing in Minty though, she wasn't among the tops in the first week for me, while I think Brigiding deserved more love from the judges. But Vinas is slaying and rightfully so - she's stunning!

Marina and Eva Le Queen are also among my favorites. Marina is giving me so much Jorgeous vibes, haha.

It was sad to see Prince go, she seemed so lovely and sooo cute out of Drag. Not too mad about Corazon leaving though, she was my least favorite Also don't see what Xilhouete is all about - her reputation seems to be bigger than what she's bringing so far.

Comment

I've been rewatching the first two episodes a lot this week. What a great start to the season! It's so surreal to see a local franchise and to see a lot of references I grew up with it. The set is not so big and the camera shots need some improvement but the girls' personalities make up for all those things.

It's a great mix of queens. 9 out of 12 in the cast are working in the two biggest bars in Manila - Nectar, and Obar, so they basically knew each other.

We have a lot of meme-worthy stuff already, particularly from Paolo: "The shoooooes!" from episode one and "Where are the flowers? ...ah, okay" from episode two. I love that Paolo is so shady and such a pot stirrer.

I also like that aside from having the two resident judges, we have rotating judges. BJ and Rajo are the biggest names in the industries they are in and I love we are getting critiques from them.

The challenge winners so far deserved their wins. Minty and Vinas are starting strong. Marina and Eva are to watch out for. Precious has a big reputation, being the main performer in Obar, the oldest and biggest drag bar in Manila. Performance and improv challenges are most likely her strengths. Brigiding is signed to the same local talent management that manages Manila Luzon in the Philippines and she probably has a lot of pressure coming in. I would expect a breakdown from her if she continues to remain safe.

Comment

Untucked is so good too. The Minty vs Brigiding conflict gave me life.

This season was shot around late last year, after we had a series of lockdowns and the bars where the girls performed were closed since the pandemic started. They have not seen each other face to face for about two years and it means they have a lot of unsettled issues. The drama we are getting so far is probably just a teaser of what's to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                                      Drag Race Philippines premiers today!

Let's take a look at the queen's first insta update:

#1 Minty Fresh - 21,594
                                      #2 Brigiding - 20,726
                                      #3 Gigi Era - 19,148
                                      #4 Prince - 14,638
                                      #5 Viñas DeLuxe - 13,946
                                      #6 Precious Paula Nicole - 11,319
                                      #7 Marina Summers - 9,751
                                      #8 Eva Le Queen - 6,222
                                      #9 Turing - 5,193
                                      #10 Corazon - 4,195
                                      #11 Lady Morgana - 3,300
                                      #12 Xilhouete - 3,212

Thank you!

I actually compiled their numbers on July 20, when the meet the queens video was leaked a week before it was officially released:

#1 Brigiding - 17,245
                                      #2 Minty Fresh - 16,691
                                      #3 Prince - 12,044
                                      #4 Viñas DeLuxe - 10,425
                                      #5 Precious Paula Nicole - 8,508
                                      #6 Marina Summers - 6,190
                                      #7 Gigi Era - 3,603
                                      #8 Eva Le Queen - 3,421
                                      #9 Turing - 2,553
                                      #10 Corazon- 2,120
                                      #11 Lady Morgana - 1,716
                                      #12 Xilhouete - 1,512

Comment

Originally posted by xtofer View Post
                                        Thank you!

I actually compiled their numbers on July 20, when the meet the queens video was leaked a week before it was officially released
                                        Thanks!

Kinda surprising how Xilhouete is the least followed queen considering she's having a "reputation"...

But you're numbers will make for a better comparison once the season will end, so thanks for that!

Comment

#1 (=) Minty Fresh - 32,982 (+11,388)
                                          #2 (=) Brigiding - 25,288 (+4,562)
                                          #3 (+2) Viñas DeLuxe - 23,842 (+9,896)
                                          #4 (-1) Gigi Era - 20,846 (+1,698)
                                          #5 (-1) Prince - 17,350 (+2,712; 12th)
                                          #6 (+1) Marina Summers - 15,814 (+6,063)
                                          #7 (-1) Precious Paula Nicole - 14,837 (+3,518)
                                          #8 (=) Eva Le Queen - 11,185 (+4,963)
                                          #9 (=) Turing - 9,174 (+3,981)
                                          #10 (=) Corazon - 6,259 (+2,064; 11th)
                                          #11 (+1) Xilhouete - 4,929 (+1,717)
                                          #12 (-1) Lady Morgana - 4,726 (+1,426)

Compared to one week ago.

Some nice updates following last weeks double episode premier - Minty Fresh and Viñas DeLuxe are two clear frontrunners so far, so it's probably less surprising to see both of them also having the best updates with +11,3k and +9,8k new fans. Minty remains the most followed queen of the season, while Viñas rises to spots to become the third most followed queen.

Marina Summers is another standout so far and she also gets the third best update with +6k new fans, also rising one spot in the ranking.

Comment

Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                                            Kinda surprising how Xilhouete is the least followed queen considering she's having a "reputation"...
                                            The thing with Xilhouete is that she's more of behind the scene queen. She's not really in the spotlight and doesn't really perform on stage. She's more of a director of drag performances in Nectar, wherein she is a co-owner too. She's more like the boss of these drag queens.

Nectar is home for young and new queens and they have this drag competition called Drag Cartel around 2018-2019, wherein many young queens compete in. Minty and Marina are winners of this competition before the pandemic happened. Xilhouete put a lot of young queens in drag just to keep this competition going, that's why she has a lot of drag daughters.

Also, she's not really interactive on social media. She doesn't follow anyone and I believe her Instagram was private until she joined Drag Race.

Comment

I found this diagram online about the queens' connections:

O Bar is the longest-running drag bar. The O Divas, or the queens working there, are show girls. They are more on big productions. Hence, Precious, Brigiding and Turing are more into performing.

Nectar is more of a nightclub and appeals more to younger people. Many young queens work there. Having a distinct brand is important to stand out as a Nectarine. Hence, the queens coming from Nectar have really strong brands - Marina, Minty, Prince, Eva, and Xilhouete.

Eva started drag and worked as a drag queen in Singapore for many years and went back to the Philippines a few years back. She started Drag Playhouse during the pandemic and recruited Marina and Prince, as clubs were closed.

Vinas worked both in O bar and Nectar and has the most connections with these queens.

O Bar and Nectar reopened this year and as far as I know, Minty is the only one left working in Nectar. Precious and Turing are still regulars in O Bar.

Comment

EPISODE 3, YOU GUYS!

They did that! They really popped off!

I was breathless. I cried. I laughed.

What an episode!

I will post detailed comments later...

Comment

The new episode

They did THAT! Brilliant girl group challenge. I agreed with the bottom two, who were basically the only two that didn't stand out that much (or in Gigi's case who didn't do well in the runway).

I felt kinda bad for Gigi... some of the editing also seemed off; like the part where they asked who has to go home, Gigi had suddenly her wig on, but then it was gone again until she lipsynced. It came across as no matter what she would've done, she was the next to go anyways, because to be fair, she was actually doing fine in the girl group challenge.

Looove Marina and I kinda hope she'll land in the bottom two at some point, I want to see her lipsyncing!

I had high expectations for this season and they are even exceeding them. Also nice to see that the season seems to get some love online - the hype seems to be higher than for the latest Canada & Down Under seasons from what I've seen, so that's cool!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X