13 Reasons Why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KEY9481 View Post
    I’m having a hard time with this season so far, jumping from one era to another got me super confused, and so did the cinematographic choices.
    IKR, It takes a minute to realize that the color intensity used identifies the time period you're watching.

I like the season overall, it's generally well acted and produced.

Spoiler!

Comment

• Originally posted by clh_hilary View Post
      You guys do realize a link has been found between the show and a surge in teen male suicides? The original suicide scene was a direct violation of the guideline on how to report suicides, by mental health professionals. So was many other aspects of the first series. If literally driving people to death was the show's "strength", then I would rather have a weak show.
      It's not 'literally' driving people to death. I can say as someone who suffers from depression and actually has done an attempt, that a show isn't someone's 'drive' to kill themselves. Mental health problems slowly build up, it is basically a demon that eats your positive thoughts. At a certain point you reach a level that you feel insignificant and feel that leaving this world is the best option, because you feel it will numb the pain and end the misery you are feeling. This show can be the final trigger for people, but honestly a lot of things can be that trigger. Just like how school shootings aren't caused by playing violent games, it can be a final trigger, but overall the mental health of that people is already at a point that anything can be a trigger.

As someone who wanted to die, as someone who actually lost friends who actually commited suicide, I can say that I actually appricate the graphic scenes, yes some things are exaggerated like most TV shows, but I liked that it didn't sugarcoated it essentially. But that's just me.

But please do more research on mental health because a TV show doesn't kills someone.

Comment

• Originally posted by IVyoncé View Post
        It's not 'literally' driving people to death. I can say as someone who suffers from depression and actually has done an attempt, that a show isn't someone's 'drive' to kill themselves. Mental health problems slowly build up, it is basically a demon that eats your positive thoughts. At a certain point you reach a level that you feel insignificant and feel that leaving this world is the best option, because you feel it will numb the pain and end the misery you are feeling. This show can be the final trigger for people, but honestly a lot of things can be that trigger. Just like how school shootings aren't caused by playing violent games, it can be a final trigger, but overall the mental health of that people is already at a point that anything can be a trigger.

As someone who wanted to die, as someone who actually lost friends who actually commited suicide, I can say that I actually appricate the graphic scenes, yes some things are exaggerated like most TV shows, but I liked that it didn't sugarcoated it essentially. But that's just me.

But please do more research on mental health because a TV show doesn't kills someone.
        Yes, that's just you. Just because you weren't triggered, doesn't mean most people wouldn't be.

Your argument that we apparently don't need to consider the trigger is the same argument used by people who say mental illness is the reason for mass shootings, so gun control cannot and shouldn't be done.

Did I say it alone killed those people? No. But it's a fact that it was the final straw for those teen males, aka driving them to suicides. I didn't suggest, in any way, that we have solved the problem of teen suicides as long as we make sure 13 Reasons Why is wiped from the internet.

As for doing more research, did you miss the part where I said they violated guidelines set by mental health experts? Unlike you, I'm not claiming personally to be an expert, which in your case is entirely formed of your personal experience and no research. That is an objective fact that, ironically, you would discover if you had done some research on how the media is supposed to portray suicides.

As for "sugarcoating", where did I say they should've sugarcoated it? I said they violated the guidelines, and a link has actually been found (ie proving the validity of the guidelines). Showing people learning about someone's suicide in the show wouldn't have been in any way sugarcoating it, without showing the actual suicide. Not to mention like I said they violated almost everything, meaning it's not even just that one scene. The idea of placing blame in all of the 2 series, the romanticization of the suicide, using tapes even, the idea that you could use your suicide as revenge and that it seemingly isn't final (Hannah was visibly everywhere in series 2), and so on.

So yes, do more research indeed.
        Originally posted by WhatTheHell
        Voice of the truth here!! :(

Comment

Yes, that's just you. Just because you weren't triggered, doesn't mean most people wouldn't be.

Your argument that we apparently don't need to consider the trigger is the same argument used by people who say mental illness is the reason for mass shootings, so gun control cannot and shouldn't be done.
          That's not what I said and you know that lol. If we talk about suicide and mental health than the things that should put thoughts on are trying to prevent bullying, trying to find out if people are abused, trying to see change in behaviour, trying to see signs for mental health struggles and loads of other things that can contribute to it or lead to suicide since people commit suicide for loads and loads of reasons.

Just like with mass shootings that beside trying to find signs, prevent bullying, abuse etc. also prevent every random person to buy a gun while doing groceries and to have extra strict rules and checks when someone buys one in the US, to again not give every random person the oppertunity to pick up that gun or semi-automatic weapon

Originally posted by clh_hilary View Post
          Did I say it alone killed those people? No. But it's a fact that it was the final straw for those teen males, aka driving them to suicides. I didn't suggest, in any way, that we have solved the problem of teen suicides as long as we make sure 13 Reasons Why is wiped from the internet.
          It's a final straw, but these people are at their lowest low. Anything at that point technically be a trigger, literally anything can push you over the edge when you are that mentally ill.

As for doing more research, did you miss the part where I said they violated guidelines set by mental health experts? Unlike you, I'm not claiming personally to be an expert, which in your case is entirely formed of your personal experience and no research. That is an objective fact that, ironically, you would discover if you had done some research on how the media is supposed to portray suicides.
          I also never claimed to be an expert. I just know that mental health isn't as simple as you potray it to be. Removing a series or cut footage isn't solving the overall problem. the roots of the mental problems need to be solved. Like I said before, if you are at your lowest point, anything can be a trigger, if this series didn't excist, there is no study who can predict that these poor souls wouldn't have taken their own lives eventually or would have gotten help.
          And yes I didn't do research to these guidelines, but there are also a lot of people, including myself who actually got helped by this series and overcome things we have been through. Nothing is black and white, there is no true right or wrong, and removing or editing something isn't gonna help that.

As for "sugarcoating", where did I say they should've sugarcoated it? I said they violated the guidelines, and a link has actually been found (ie proving the validity of the guidelines). Showing people learning about someone's suicide in the show wouldn't have been in any way sugarcoating it, without showing the actual suicide. Not to mention like I said they violated almost everything, meaning it's not even just that one scene. The idea of placing blame in all of the 2 series, the romanticization of the suicide, using tapes even, the idea that you could use your suicide as revenge and that it seemingly isn't final (Hannah was visibly everywhere in series 2), and so on.

So yes, do more research indeed.
          I guess overall we have to agree to disagree. I actually wrote my thesis about kids/teens/young adults who have to deal with parents or loved ones with an addiction and/or mental health problems. I have personal experiences, I have friends who experiences things. I have done a lot of research, yes I may not know everything. But what I do know is that removing scenes or removing a series all together isn't gonna solve the fact that people commit suicide. I mean the series opened loads of discussions, suicide is still such a taboo in loads of parts of the world, so is mental health problems. There may be links, but the question is whether things have 100% to do with this series or that other things beside that also played a role in that final straw. Things never are that black and white and things never are that easy to explain.

Comment

You guys do realize a link has been found between the show and a surge in teen male suicides? The original suicide scene was a direct violation of the guideline on how to report suicides, by mental health professionals. So was many other aspects of the first series. If literally driving people to death was the show's "strength", then I would rather have a weak show.
            Whilst I understand your points, it's also saved a number of lives as well. Yes things may trigger people, but then should we stop airing ads against domestic violence in case someone gets triggered? No. Stuff like this needs to be seen because it's happening. And i don't think removing a show or scenes is how we fight this. Yes. It's triggering and yes maybe it was a factor in the rise in suicides. However it saved a lot more lives than it ruined. That should be made clear as well
            Love you like a love song!

Comment

That's not what I said and you know that lol. If we talk about suicide and mental health than the things that should put thoughts on are trying to prevent bullying, trying to find out if people are abused, trying to see change in behaviour, trying to see signs for mental health struggles and loads of other things that can contribute to it or lead to suicide since people commit suicide for loads and loads of reasons.

Just like with mass shootings that beside trying to find signs, prevent bullying, abuse etc. also prevent every random person to buy a gun while doing groceries and to have extra strict rules and checks when someone buys one in the US, to again not give every random person the oppertunity to pick up that gun or semi-automatic weapon

It's a final straw, but these people are at their lowest low. Anything at that point technically be a trigger, literally anything can push you over the edge when you are that mentally ill.

I also never claimed to be an expert. I just know that mental health isn't as simple as you potray it to be. Removing a series or cut footage isn't solving the overall problem. the roots of the mental problems need to be solved. Like I said before, if you are at your lowest point, anything can be a trigger, if this series didn't excist, there is no study who can predict that these poor souls wouldn't have taken their own lives eventually or would have gotten help.
              And yes I didn't do research to these guidelines, but there are also a lot of people, including myself who actually got helped by this series and overcome things we have been through. Nothing is black and white, there is no true right or wrong, and removing or editing something isn't gonna help that.

I guess overall we have to agree to disagree. I actually wrote my thesis about kids/teens/young adults who have to deal with parents or loved ones with an addiction and/or mental health problems. I have personal experiences, I have friends who experiences things. I have done a lot of research, yes I may not know everything. But what I do know is that removing scenes or removing a series all together isn't gonna solve the fact that people commit suicide. I mean the series opened loads of discussions, suicide is still such a taboo in loads of parts of the world, so is mental health problems. There may be links, but the question is whether things have 100% to do with this series or that other things beside that also played a role in that final straw. Things never are that black and white and things never are that easy to explain.
              The damage is done and obviously removing it would not help. I was commenting more on the praise for having that scene in the first place, which would just encourage more to be done. There's also a difference between a show aimed at adults having a scene like that and a series that's targetting teenagers.

And once again, I'm not just talking about the one scene but many other things that I mentioned.

Of course the other factors should be tackled, the root problems should be solved. But it doesn't change the fact that the final straw, which empirical research have shown to be a known trigger, and a study has backed up the claim that this has directly led to a surge in teen male suicides. Just like how improving mental health provisions doesn't mean we shouldn't also limit access to guns.

Comment

• Originally posted by BehindBreakaway View Post
                Whilst I understand your points, it's also saved a number of lives as well. Yes things may trigger people, but then should we stop airing ads against domestic violence in case someone gets triggered? No. Stuff like this needs to be seen because it's happening. And i don't think removing a show or scenes is how we fight this. Yes. It's triggering and yes maybe it was a factor in the rise in suicides. However it saved a lot more lives than it ruined. That should be made clear as well
                No, it did not.

If it saved even just the same amount of lives than it took, there wouldn't have been a surge. If it had saved more lives than it cost, a drop in suicides should've been found after factoring into annual trends. But it was a surge, ergo, more people committed suicides than those who decided not to kill themselves after originally planning on doing it.

In the future, media targetting potentially vulnerable groups should adhere to established guidelines from anti-suicides institutions that were formed based on empirical research, unless new research comes up to suggest new ways of doing it could be done.

Comment

No, it did not.

If it saved even just the same amount of lives than it took, there wouldn't have been a surge. If it had saved more lives than it cost, a drop in suicides should've been found after factoring into annual trends. But it was a surge, ergo, more people committed suicides than those who decided not to kill themselves after originally planning on doing it.

In the future, media targetting potentially vulnerable groups should adhere to established guidelines from anti-suicides institutions that were formed based on empirical research, unless new research comes up to suggest new ways of doing it could be done.
                  You might want to give 13 reasons why positive impact a Google. It most definitely has its flaws and its bad stuff, but it also has good, positive things as well

Comment

Completey agree with this.
                    "Lift up your head
                    Lift up your heart..."

https://soundcloud.com/jaspervanbeve...orest-of-glass

Comment

Completey agree with this.
                      "Lift up your head
                      Lift up your heart..."

Comment

• That scene when Tyler confided in Clay omg. The tears.
                        5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Seeing nothing but negative reviews so far for last 2 seasons, so glad I gave up on this show during S1. S1 was already boring, filled with cliches and simply not convincing.

Comment

• Originally posted by WEBofDESIRE View Post
                            IKR, It takes a minute to realize that the color intensity used identifies the time period you're watching.

I like the season overall, it's generally well acted and produced.

Spoiler!
                            It doesn't bother me in HTGAWM either because first and foremost, it's literally in the title. You know what you sign up for.
                            And as you said, 13RW is a show designed for teenagers, young adults. So again, a different audience.
                            Another reason is that Murder seems more fictional while 13RW seems to be made to appear the most realistic as possible.
                            5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• I'm halfway through season 3 and honestly I don't get the bad reviews at all, so far this is my favorite season! Season 1 was needed (but depressing), season 2 was like a transition (but boring) and now season 3 feels like a completely different series, but with familiar characters. I really like where they're taking the show, it's like a high school version of HTGAWM or an American version of Élite.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rihab View Post
                                I'm halfway through season 3 and honestly I don't get the bad reviews at all, so far this is my favorite season! Season 1 was needed (but depressing), season 2 was like a transition (but boring) and now season 3 feels like a completely different series, but with familiar characters. I really like where they're taking the show, it's like a high school version of HTGAWM or an American version of Élite.
                                I agree with you.

Comment

• My god people still can’t separate an actor from their character?
                                  Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• ^ From fans of a show about the effects of bullying. I'm not sure what's been said but apparently, they took umbrage at her seeming to know everything about everyone despite being new. She was just a plot device to carry the narrative, they explained that she'd been there a few months. Enough time to find out what she did. Really not that big a deal.

Look a bit deeper:

https://www.newscientist.com/article...suicide-rates/

Did Netflix’s 13 Reasons Why really increase suicide rates?
                                    HEALTH | ANALYSIS 2 May 2019
                                    By Chelsea Whyte

In the Netflix show 13 Reasons Why, 17-year-old Hannah kills herself in a scene that shows her suicide. Following the show’s release, researchers raised concerns about the possibility that it could lead to suicide contagion, in which explicit depictions of self-harm can lead people to copy the method.

Now, a study of suicide rates among children in the US between the ages of 10 and 17 has found a 28.9 per cent rise in April 2017, the month after the show was released. On the face of it, that statistic follows the pattern of suicide contagion, which is strongest in the first few weeks after publicised suicide stories. But it may not be that simple.

Jeffrey Bridge at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Ohio and his colleagues analysed data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on suicides in the US between 2013 and 2017. They found a spike in April 2017 as compared with the surrounding months, and an overall increase in the following 8 months as compared with the previous years. The rise was statistically significant in boys under 18, but not in girls or adults.

“It doesn’t make sense that boys would be the ones that would show this effect,” says Daniel Romer at the University of Pennsylvania, given that the show is about a young woman. “It’s not clear that that would trigger a contagion phenomenon for suicides in men.”

Girls are more likely to attempt suicide than to kill themselves, says John Draper, director of the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline in New York, so if the show had an effect on girls, it would not be apparent in the data the team looked at. Bridge and his team didn’t respond to requests for comment.

Another as-yet unpublished study by Steven Stack at Wayne State University in Michigan and his colleagues gauged attention to the show on Twitter and analysed US suicide rates in April and May 2017, the months with the most tweets.

For boys aged 10 to 19, they found an increase in suicide rate of 12.4 per cent, while in girls they saw a jump of 21.7 per cent compared with previous months. This is more in line with the time period in which suicide contagion takes place, and reflects the gender split expected for a show with a female lead character, says Stack.

Romer also studied the show’s impact, surveying 729 people aged 18 to 29 before the second season aired to assess their vulnerability to risk of self-harm, and followed up with them a month after the show was released. He found that people who stopped watching partway through the season exhibited higher suicide risk and less optimism than those who watched the final episode.

But he also found that those who finished the series reported lower levels of suicide ideation and self-harm than people who didn’t watch the show. That may be because it portrayed the protagonist’s friend coping with life’s challenges, says Romer.

Complicating this analysis is a general increase in suicide rates, of nearly 10 per cent, among 15 to 24 year olds during 2017. Seasonal effects may also be at play – studies have shown that suicide rates peak in the spring, though the reasons for this also aren’t clear.

It doesn’t have to be this way. Draper says that for every person who dies by suicide, there are another 280 who think seriously about it but don’t kill themselves. The ratio we see on screen doesn’t reflect that reality. “We need to flip the script,” he says. “There’s evidence that shows that if you show people coping through those moments, it is associated with a reduction in suicide rates.”
                                    Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (1st August 20) - Black Honey, Sylvan Esso, Flock Of Dimes, Zella Day, Tate McRae, Hurts, Wye Oak, Shlohmo, Sody and Cavetown, Billie Eilish, Kate Rusby, Tim Arnold, Taylor Swift, The Naked and Famous, John Foxx and The Maths, Clan Of Xymox, Dolly Parton, Jessy Lanza, Seasick Steve...

Comment

• Really finding this new season a slog to get through.

I've only watched the first two episodes, but has the acting and dialogue always been so bad? I don't remember it being so noticeable.

The cinematography is also a choice. I hate the washed out look they've went with for the present timeline, especially as washed out colours are something we've been conditioned to associate with flashbacks in television.

Going to stick it through since I've made it this far, hopefully it will get better.
                                      late.

Comment

• Originally posted by BehindBreakaway View Post
                                        You might want to give 13 reasons why positive impact a Google. It most definitely has its flaws and its bad stuff, but it also has good, positive things as well
                                        You may want to learn some basic mathematics.

Let's say 3 additional people died, but 3 people who would've died didn't die - that's a net 0 impact.

If 3 additional people died, but 5 people were saved - the research would've found the impact of the show to be positive, because 2 fewer people died.

If 3 additional people died, but 1 person was saved - that's 2 more people who were harmed by the show than it saved.

Your logic is the same as the people defending Stalin. Oh yes he killed millions, but he also made some positive impact that benefited some people.

Comment

You may want to learn some basic mathematics.

Let's say 3 additional people died, but 3 people who would've died didn't die - that's a net 0 impact.

If 3 additional people died, but 5 people were saved - the research would've found the impact of the show to be positive, because 2 fewer people died.

If 3 additional people died, but 1 person was saved - that's 2 more people who were harmed by the show than it saved.

Your logic is the same as the people defending Stalin. Oh yes he killed millions, but he also made some positive impact that benefited some people.
                                          Yes, let's compare 13 reasons why to Jozef Stalin.
                                          "Lift up your head
                                          Lift up your heart..."

Comment

• Also, there is no proof that the show is actually killing people. Depression is on the rise all over the world. More depression, more suicides. Correlation is not causation.
                                            I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                                            I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

• Originally posted by DnBLover View Post
                                              Also, there is no proof that the show is actually killing people. Depression is on the rise all over the world. More depression, more suicides. Correlation is not causation.
                                              This!!!!! In the US, bullying is at an all-time high for at risk youth. That has to have more impact than a TV show, I'd hope.

Comment

• My basic maths is grand but thanks for the concern.

Also. What they said ^^

Comment

Also, there is no proof that the show is actually killing people. Depression is on the rise all over the world. More depression, more suicides. Correlation is not causation.
                                                  Yes, there is. And just because you learned to repeat a phrase from the internet such as "correlation is not causation", doesn't mean you know anything, certainly not more than the actual experts and university academics.

I'm not expecting you to stop your assertions when faced with evidence, but these are the studies so far, for the benefit of others:

Bridge, Jeffrey A. et al. (2019). Association Between the Release of Netflix’s 13 Reasons Why and Suicide Rates in the United States: An Interrupted Times Series Analysis. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. Retrieved 9 September 2019 at https://www.jaacap.org/article/S0890...288-6/fulltext.

Niederkrotenthaler, Thomas, Stack, Steven, Till, Benedikt, et al. (2019). Association of increased youth suicides with release of 13 REASONS WHY Show in the United States. JAMA PSYCHIATRY, published online May 29, 2019. Retrieved 9 September 2019 at https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...tm_term=052919.

They have taken into account of possible confounding factors as well as the seasonal trends in suicides in this group in the region. But if you cannot overlook your love for a declining television show to prevent suicides, there's nothing I can really say that can change your mind.

Originally posted by Hejira View Post
                                                  Yes, let's compare 13 reasons why to Jozef Stalin.
                                                  Yes, you go evading the topic and not provide any rebuttal or arguments whatsoever because even you yourself know you have nothing.

Originally posted by WEBofDESIRE View Post
                                                  This!!!!! In the US, bullying is at an all-time high for at risk youth. That has to have more impact than a TV show, I'd hope.
                                                  Wishful thinking, unfortunately, doesn't affect the reality. The published research are up there with the links for you to read.

Originally posted by BehindBreakaway View Post
                                                  My basic maths is grand but thanks for the concern.

Also. What they said ^^
                                                  I doubt it, since you cannot comprehend the reality that there being an increase that defied the trends suggested that there were more people harmed than saved.

What about what they said? Assertions and unsubstantiated claims that have not, in any way, disputed the published results in empirical research?

Comment

• [MENTION=24353]clh_hilary[/MENTION], the only wishful thinking is in your "studies". They are scientifically meaningless because results are based purely on the circumstance of time and not any direct links to 13RW. I could create a similar "study" when a new ice cream flavor is released. The research only indicates occurrences during a period of time. Were there tapes left behind, or social media posts that indicated that the charted individuals were mimicking 13RW? Short of a seance with the dearly departed, how did they create real (not hypothetical) control groups for depressed/suicidal youth that both did and didn't watch this series?

Comment

• [MENTION=24353]clh_hilary[/MENTION] LMAO I am an actual statistician myself. So just don't even.

I will have a read at those studies.

Comment

[MENTION=24353]clh_hilary[/MENTION], the only wishful thinking is in your "studies". They are scientifically meaningless because results are based purely on the circumstance of time and not any direct links to 13RW. I could create a similar "study" when a new ice cream flavor is released. The research only indicates occurrences during a period of time. Were there tapes left behind, or social media posts that indicated that the charted individuals were mimicking 13RW? Short of a seance with the dearly departed, how did they create real (not hypothetical) control groups for depressed/suicidal youth that both did and didn't watch this series?
                                                        There are several issues with these papers. They do provide some evidence, but weak evidence. I can detail later why I think so.

Comment

[MENTION=24353]clh_hilary[/MENTION], the only wishful thinking is in your "studies". They are scientifically meaningless because results are based purely on the circumstance of time and not any direct links to 13RW. I could create a similar "study" when a new ice cream flavor is released. The research only indicates occurrences during a period of time. Were there tapes left behind, or social media posts that indicated that the charted individuals were mimicking 13RW? Short of a seance with the dearly departed, how did they create real (not hypothetical) control groups for depressed/suicidal youth that both did and didn't watch this series?
                                                          So basically, you would refuse to accept any evidence unless an unethical study could be done. A study that could potentially cause the loss of lives of your research participants.

Also, the fact that you are using quotation marks to seemingly suggest they aren't real studies is pathetic. They are published, peer-reviewed studies done by actual university academics.

I wonder if you believe condoms could prevent the spread of HIV? There has never been a study with control groups to test whether someone is infected by a known HIV positive person with the same viral load by having their HIV negative subjects have sex with that person with or without a condom. Based on your logic, this means we won't know whether condoms could prevent the spread of HIV.

We also don't know if vaccines work. We haven't had a study to intentionally infect someone with the disease and infect someone else who has been vaccinated. We have only been looking into the trends and numbers. You could do a study on the falling number of pirates and say that's the cause for those diseases to disappear, right?

Comment

There are several issues with these papers. They do provide some evidence, but weak evidence. I can detail later why I think so.
                                                            Please mention or quote me when you do.

Comment

• [MENTION=24353]clh_hilary[/MENTION] I'm just observing your point of view and the agenda is jumping out quite obviously. You're trying to make your point clear with some aggressive examples and opinions while not even considering the other side of the story. That's all.
                                                              "Lift up your head
                                                              Lift up your heart..."

Comment

Working...
                                                              X