Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK TV Discussion (ratings, news, TV shows)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eurovision (ratings over the years):

2019 - 6.9 million
    2018 - 6.9 million
    2017 - 6.7 million
    2016 - 7.2 million
    2015 - 6.6 million
    2014 - 8.8 million'
    2013 - 7.7 million
    2012 - 7.5 million
    2011 - 9.5 million
    2010 - 5.8 million

It's been remarkably steady since 2015, it seems to have plateaued and found its core following after a random resurgence in 2014. For a four hour show to hold almost 7m viewers, that's remarkable - Eurovision isn't going anywhere (the BBC clearly feel it's worth the cost).

Comment

• Look at that jump from 2010 to 2011. Good to see it do well, even if we never do as a country.

Comment

• What happened in 2011? I mean, +4M!
        5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Originally posted by KEY9481 View Post
          What happened in 2011? I mean, +4M!
          Was that the year Blue repped us? And we did quite well?

Comment

• Yes that was the Blue year but didn’t think they’d pull in that many more viewers.

Comment

• I wonder if the weather was terrible or something

It holds steady really well considering the length of the thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                Eurovision (ratings over the years):

2019 - 6.9 million
                2018 - 6.9 million
                2017 - 6.7 million
                2016 - 7.2 million
                2015 - 6.6 million
                2014 - 8.8 million'
                2013 - 7.7 million
                2012 - 7.5 million
                2011 - 9.5 million
                2010 - 5.8 million

It's been remarkably steady since 2015, it seems to have plateaued and found its core following after a random resurgence in 2014. For a four hour show to hold almost 7m viewers, that's remarkable - Eurovision isn't going anywhere (the BBC clearly feel it's worth the cost).
                7 million people (average) for a 4-hour TV show is a success.

Imagive if ITV had been in charge of ESC.... BBC clearly doesn't care, hence the disappointing results every year (don't blame it on politics - UK is the only country that their ESC entries are flopping in national charts every year). If only they had taken it seriously, the ratings would've been even bigger..

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                Eurovision ratings: average of 6.9 million viewers (peaking at 7.7 million viewers) for a 41.7% share.

Compared to other countries across the EU:

Germany: 8.08 million
                Greece: 50.9% share
                France: 4.8 million (30.2%)
                Netherlands: 4.4 million
                Italy: 3.6 million (20%)
                Israel: 1.3 million (37.8%)

Doing well around Europe (massive in Sweden, Iceland, Cyprus and Norway)

I expect decent ratings in Russia and Switzerland too.

Comment

• Peaky Blinders returns to the BBC tonight, any guesses what it'll do?

Series 1: 2.38 million
                  Ep 1: 3.05 million
                  Ep 2: 2.45 million
                  Ep 3: 2.20 million
                  Ep 4: 2.31 million
                  Ep 5: 2.03 million
                  Ep 6: 2.24 million

Series 2: 2.18 million
                  Ep 1: 2.31 million
                  Ep 2: 2.18 million
                  Ep 4: 2.06 million
                  Ep 5: 2.10 million
                  Ep 6: 2.24 million

Series 3: 2.38 million
                  Ep 1: 2.95 million
                  Ep 2: 2.43 million
                  Ep 4: 2.19 million
                  Ep 5: 2.24 million
                  Ep 6: 2.27 million

Series 4: 4.05 million
                  Ep 1: 4.12 million
                  Ep 2: 3.86 million
                  Ep 3: 3.96 million
                  Ep 4: 3.87 million
                  Ep 5: 4.06 million
                  Ep 6: 4.44 million

I reckon it'll debut with around 5 million - but I think the weather/Bank Holiday weekend will impact it.

Comment

• Agree, it’ll do massive numbers on iPlayer.

Comment

• Wow...

Peaky Blinders: 3.7m (23%)
                      Sanditon: 3.3m (20.4%)

Even less than the last series premier.

Comment

• Strictly’s ratings have taken a dive this year, with around 1.5m less viewers watching live this year compared to last year.

I wonder if it’s the line-up? I think they’re alienating loyal fans with casting young nobodies like Saffron and Karim.

Comment

• Last year's line up was average, but this year's is just bad.
                          I mean, if we still compare it to The X Factor, it's doing fantastic. They just need to get some bigger names involved.

Also, get rid of the Tess-bot.

Comment

• Get Rylan on the main show, him and Claudia would work well together.

I’m surprised they can’t attract bigger names, I always assumed celebs queued up for Strictly. It’s not even big names they need really, just known ones.

Comment

• Soap ratings are interesting lately - EastEnders dipped to its lowest ever in the summer, with 2.9m tuning in on the overnights.

Overnights aren’t a true measure of popularity anymore, since viewings habits have changed so much in the last 3/4 years. Even the DigitalSpy soap ratings thread has died this year, as their relevance becomes less and less.

For comparison purposes, Corrie is on about 6.3m as an average down from 7.1m in 2018, Emmerdale is at 5.8m from 6.3m and EastEnders has actually maintained with 5.7m on both years.

Word of mouth and social media seem to be the true indicators of good TV these days.

Comment

• 11.5m viewers for Gavin & Stacey in the overnights, highest Christmas Day audience since 2008!

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                                  11.5m viewers for Gavin & Stacey in the overnights, highest Christmas Day audience since 2008!
                                  Not sure if that's a reflection on how bad Christmas TV has been over the past few years though either way those are impressive viewing figures. They will have to consider a new series or more specials in the future!
                                  Ste's Personal Chart 2020

Comment

• Gavin & Stacey: 11.5m
                                    The Queen's Speech: 7.7m
                                    Strictly: 5.6m
                                    Michael McIntyre: 5.2m
                                    Call the Midwife: 5.2m
                                    EastEnders: 5.2m
                                    Corrie: 4.5m
                                    Mrs Brown's Boys: 4.4m
                                    Emmerdale: 4.1m

The sheer amount of BBC there.

Comment

• Originally posted by steophonic View Post
                                      Not sure if that's a reflection on how bad Christmas TV has been over the past few years though either way those are impressive viewing figures. They will have to consider a new series or more specials in the future!
                                      It easily trumped every other show in terms of figures. I dread to think what Millionaire ranked in at opposite G&S.

Comment

• Gavin and Stacey has been well advertised on TV and Radio, the Queen needs to step up her promo game.
                                        1 Groove Armada|2 Gjons Tears |3 Tove Lo|4 Jack Garratt |5 Sigma|

Comment

• LOL!

Christmas Day telly has been dire for most of this decade, since Mrs Brown’s Boys became a thing really.

Comment

• As a general conversation topic, I never really have the TV on on Xmas Day anyway (aside from EE last night).

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartan View Post
                                              As a general conversation topic, I never really have the TV on on Xmas Day anyway (aside from EE last night).

Same here, but I was really excited to see Eastenders this year for the first time in years. I'm usually a few weeks behind on EE, but I had no problem catching up to get up to date in time for Christmas because it's been so much better to watch.
                                              1 Groove Armada|2 Gjons Tears |3 Tove Lo|4 Jack Garratt |5 Sigma|

Comment

• Brilliant figures for G&S - only will get bigger with the overnights.

The Queen still holding her own also.

Comment

• Some ratings from last night...

The Greatest Dancer (BBC) - 3.2m
                                                  The Masked Dancer (ITV) - 5.5m
                                                  The Voice UK (ITV) - 4.6m
                                                  First and Last (BBC) - 2.8m

Nothing incredible, Saturday nights in the UK are shite for TV these days.

Comment

• We’ll see how Masked Singer holds up next week, I expect it to drop nearly a million as it’s had very mixed feedback.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X