Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK TV Discussion (ratings, news, TV shows)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ratings for last night appear to concur that the coverage might’ve been a tad too much, quite low all things considered...
    • The Duke Of Edinburgh Remembered (7:30pm, BBC One) - 1.92m
    • A Tribute To The Duke Of Edinburgh (9pm, BBC One) - 2.1m
    • Prince Philip: Duke Of Edinburgh (5pm, ITV) - 1.8m
    • Prince Philip Fondly Remembered (7pm, ITV) - 1.5m
    • Gogglebox (Channel 4) - 4.20m
    • The Circle Final (Channel 4) - 1.24m

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
      It verged on North Korean propaganda telly
      Kind of how I felt tbh. I understand when the Queen goes it's going to be a big deal, but this seems like the BBC are trying to do the right thing while completely underestimating how few people feel bothered.
      1 Inna |2 Camila Cabello|3 Wizkid |4 Coldplay |5 Kevin McKay

Comment

• For comparison, as some might be thinking it...

The 10 most watched programmes for the week ending August 31 1997 were:

1 Heartbeat (ITV) 14.08

2 Coronation Street*(ITV) 13.77

3 EastEnders (BBC1) 12.65

4 Emmerdale (ITV) 11.00

5 News Special (ITV) 10.50

6 Beggar Bride (BBC1) 10.22

7 Lottery Live (BBC1) 8.89

8 Diana (ITV) 8.75

9 Neighbours (BBC1) 8.30

10 Vets In Practice (BBC1) 8.22

The ITV News Special of 10.5m was the average from 6.15pm - 7.30pm. It peaked at 14m at 7pm for coverage of the coffin returning to Britain with 6m on BBC1. The BBC had averaged 8m throughout the day but decided to show a special service from St.Paul'shedral at 6.30pm so viewers then switched over to ITV.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post
          The ratings for last night appear to concur that the coverage might’ve been a tad too much, quite low all things considered...
          • The Duke Of Edinburgh Remembered (7:30pm, BBC One) - 1.92m
          • A Tribute To The Duke Of Edinburgh (9pm, BBC One) - 2.1m
          • Prince Philip: Duke Of Edinburgh (5pm, ITV) - 1.8m
          • Prince Philip Fondly Remembered (7pm, ITV) - 1.5m
          • Gogglebox (Channel 4) - 4.20m
          • The Circle Final (Channel 4) - 1.24m
          Wow. Gogglebox more than BBC and ITV put together.

Comment

• The Gogglebox ratings say it all.

Comment

• What did everyone think of tonights two new competing game shows? I haven't watched BBC1's yet, but I thought Vernon Kay's new ITV show was a bit of fun, if a bit silly, I mean it's nice to see TV getting back to normal when it involves watching the man with the loudest burp perform his talent. I was surprised to see how much staging was involved in these 60 second performances

Comment

• Oh I watched the ITV one and thought it was pretty rubbish the “clues” were so easy, it was almost pointless going through the rigmarole. Didn’t help that the insufferable Tess Daly was one of the guests.

I’ll give the BBC one a go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                  Oh I watched the ITV one and thought it was pretty rubbish the “clues” were so easy, it was almost pointless going through the rigmarole. Didn’t help that the insufferable Tess Daly was one of the guests.

I’ll give the BBC one a go.
                  Well we know Tess darent let Vernon stray too far on his own these days. I thought the clues were stupidly easy too, but I guess at least it’s not like Masked Singer where they don’t want you to guess straight away, as they’re only on for a few minutes each.

Comment

• Tess is the blandest TV host ever, I genuinely don’t know how they let her anchor BBC’s most popular talent show.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartan View Post
                      Tess is the blandest TV host ever, I genuinely don’t know how they let her anchor BBC’s most popular talent show.
                      It’s weird cos she used to be quite fun and relaxed in her early TV days but she slowly became Tessbot the longer Strictly went on.

Comment

• Same she’s insufferable on strictly with her fake laugh and telling everyone how great they were. We literally follow everything she says with. “Shut up Tess”

Comment

• FYI - episode 1 of series 6 of Line of Duty has consolidated to 15.2m viewers, taking into account streaming etc.

That is a monstrous rating - episodes 2, 3 and 4 are already at 12.5m viewers and will consolidate higher than that. This is just a ratings machine.

Comment

• That’s like some 90s ratings shiz.

Comment

• I’m gonna go back through all the series once this has finished, for one thing I just can’t remember who the old characters are they mention, but also my other half watched this series with me for the first time and got into it so said he should see the others, because I’ve been next to useless at explaining who anyone is.

Comment

• Line of Duty pulled in 12.8m viewers in the overnight ratings.

That is an astounding rating for an overnight in 2021 - important public messages relating to Covid get ratings that high but television dramas? Nah. You have to go all the way back to 2001 apparently and the hazy days of Heartbeat (!!) to find a drama that topped 12m overnight.

The BBC are stating that it represented an impressive 56.2% audience share - wtf? More than half of all viewers last night watched this show. That just doesn't happen anymore. Amazingly, it also managed it last week but with a smaller 51% share.

Comment

• Top 10 Officials: Week ending April 25

BBC ONE

1 LINE OF DUTY (SUN 20:59) 14,700,419
                                  2 CALL THE MIDWIFE (SUN 19:59) 8,455,042
                                  3 BBC WEEKEND NEWS (SUN 22:00) 6,306,409
                                  4 ANTIQUES ROADSHOW (SUN 18:59) 5,967,170
                                  5 THE GREAT BRITISH SEWING BEE (WED 21:00) 5,788,079
                                  6 THE REPAIR SHOP (WED 20:01) 5,227,639
                                  7 BBC NEWS AT SIX (MON 18:00) 4,752,353
                                  8 EASTENDERS (MON 20:06) 4,523,839
                                  9 EASTENDERS (TUE 19:29) 4,483,710
                                  10 EASTENDERS (THU 19:35) 4,408,183

BBC TWO

1 GARDENERS' WORLD (FRI 21:00) 2,932,226
                                  2 ALL THAT GLITTERS: BRITAIN'S NEXT JEWELLERY STAR (TUE 20:00) 2,350,145
                                  3 GREAT BRITISH MENU (FRI 20:30) 2,020,269
                                  4 MASTERMIND (MON 20:00) 1,988,052
                                  5 GREAT BRITISH MENU (THU 20:00) 1,865,625
                                  6 MASTERMIND (MON 20:31) 1,823,051
                                  7 BENT COPPERS: CROSSING THE LINE OF DUTY (WED 21:01) 1,721,774
                                  8 GREAT BRITISH MENU (WED 20:01) 1,644,233
                                  9 RICHARD OSMAN'S HOUSE OF GAMES (THU 18:00) 1,537,897
                                  10 RICHARD OSMAN'S HOUSE OF GAMES (MON 18:00) 1,482,079

ITV1

1 CORONATION STREET (WED 19:31) 6,097,596
                                  2 CORONATION STREET (MON 19:31) 5,930,670
                                  3 CORONATION STREET (MON 20:29) 5,793,032
                                  4 CORONATION STREET (FRI 19:31) 5,707,595
                                  5 CORONATION STREET (WED 20:29) 5,607,476
                                  6 EMMERDALE (TUE 19:00) 5,087,656
                                  7 EMMERDALE (WED 19:00) 4,976,182
                                  8 EMMERDALE (MON 19:00) 4,898,713
                                  9 EMMERDALE (FRI 19:00) 4,755,480
                                  10 EMMERDALE (THU 19:01) 4,650,579

CHANNEL 4

1 GOGGLEBOX (FRI 21:01) 5,966,034
                                  2 TASKMASTER (THU 21:01) 2,390,420
                                  3 LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION (WED 19:59) 2,282,872
                                  4 FIRST DATES HOTEL (WED 21:01) 1,896,926
                                  5 THE GREAT CELEBRITY BAKE OFF FOR SU2C (TUE 19:59) 1,806,367
                                  6 FILM: JUMANJI: WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE (SUN 18:44) 1,676,997
                                  7 THE DOG HOUSE (THU 19:59) 1,635,081
                                  8 GUY MARTIN BATTLE OF BRITAIN (SUN 21:01) 1,400,498
                                  9 SNACKMASTERS (TUE 21:00) 1,198,803
                                  10 NAKED ATTRACTION (TUE 22:02) 1,172,378

CHANNEL 5

1 OUR YORKSHIRE FARM (TUE 21:01) 3,954,578
                                  2 THE YORKSHIRE VET (TUE 20:00) 2,005,747
                                  3 EDWARD VII: THE MERRY MONARCH (SAT 21:00) 1,518,098
                                  4 BARGAIN LOVING BRITS BY THE SEA (SUN 20:00) 1,466,345
                                  5 TRAFFIC COPS (MON 20:02) 1,370,793
                                  6 HOARDER HOMES: NO ROOM TO MOVE (MON 21:02) 1,247,785
                                  7 POLICE INTERCEPTORS (WED 20:00) 1,243,282
                                  8 10 YEARS YOUNGER IN 10 DAYS (THU 21:03) 1,211,965
                                  9 A GYPSY LIFE FOR ME (WED 21:01) 1,211,742
                                  10 RICH HOUSE POOR HOUSE CHANGED MY LIFE (SUN 21:00) 1,169,202

Source: BARB.

Copied from BigOrange at DS.

These are consolidated ratings.

Comment

• I don't know where else to post, but as much as I have been enjoy Saturday nights at ITV the last month or so, has anyone else noticed that on both Alan Carr's Epic Game Show and Show Us Your Talent...the contestant has won at the end every single week it's feeling like it might be a little bit fixed to give viewers that feel good moment.

Comment

• Watch Eastenders ratings plummet even further.

Comment

• I don’t watch EE anymore but I think it’s a smart move actually - I used to hate schedule changes because of the football

My larger concern is the BBC’s willingness to continue emphasising the iPlayer - it’s a great platform but I worry hugely it’s preparing itself for the abolition of the licence fee. I know it’s trying to emphasis ‘value for money’ but I don’t know that giving the iPlayer pre-broadcast exclusives is the right way to go.

Though I have long advocated that streaming services are missing a trick by not developing their own soap - I think Netflix would benefit hugely from having a soap that dropped two or three new episodes every week.

The budget for a show like The Crown could probably produce a hundred soap episodes for them and I love the idea of a ‘global soap’.
                                        Words are useless, especially sentences.
                                        they don’t stand for anything.
                                        How could they explain how I feel?

Comment

• I never watch EE live, it’s something I usually binge a few episodes at a time when I have nothing else to watch, so I’m usually a few episodes behind so it doesn’t make much difference to me when they’re broadcast or how many episodes are available.

Comment

• I think it's quite a smart decision - a large portion of EE's viewership comes from iPlayer and it's live ratings aren't great so it makes sense. I think it's only while the Euros are on though, maybe if it works it'll be on a permanent basis.

Comment

• Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post
                                              I never watch EE live, it’s something I usually binge a few episodes at a time when I have nothing else to watch, so I’m usually a few episodes behind so it doesn’t make much difference to me when they’re broadcast or how many episodes are available.
                                              That’s why I stopped watching all soaps - I was like a month behind on them all and it was like ‘oh, why bother’ (and they were crap at the time too).
                                              Words are useless, especially sentences.
                                              they don’t stand for anything.
                                              How could they explain how I feel?

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartan View Post
                                                I think it's quite a smart decision - a large portion of EE's viewership comes from iPlayer and it's live ratings aren't great so it makes sense. I think it's only while the Euros are on though, maybe if it works it'll be on a permanent basis.
                                                Agree, they usually get around another 1m an episode on iPlayer right? I’m like you guys, watch a few at a time usually, rarely watch it live.

All three main soaps are dire at the moment

Comment

• Coronation Street and Emmerdale have announced that the whole week’s episodes will release online on ITV Hub for the start of the week on a Monday, so that fans can binge watch.

Like EastEnders, the move is temporary while schedules are changed due to Euro 2021. The soaps will still air – albeit in different slots – on main TV.

Comment

• EastEnders being trendsetters for the first time in decades.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X