Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK TV Discussion (ratings, news, TV shows)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I've just finished the series finale of my #1 show, Lucifer. OMG. I was bawling my eyes out. The show saved me. It was so good. Tom Ellis (and the entire cast) saved me.

    I really have to revise my alltime TV shows list now:

    01. Melrose Place
    02. The Good Wife
    03. Six Feet Under
    04. LOST
    05. Handmaid's Tale
    06. Dexter
    07. This Is Us
    08. Dawson's Creek
    09. Grey's Anatomy
    10. The Walking Dead
    11. Brothers & Sisters
    12. Suits
    13. LUCIFER
    14. Gilmore Girls
    15. Desperate Housewives
    16. Breaking Bad
    17. Game of Thrones
    18. Nip / Tuck
    19. True Blood
    20. The Good Fight
    21. Sex and The City
    22. Deutschland 83, 86, 89
    23. Friends
    24. Mad Men
    25. Charmed
    26. Medium
    27. Grimm
    28. Will & Grace
    29. How to get away with Murder
    30. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    31. Chicago Med
    32. Sleepy Hollow
    33. Revenge
    34. The Leftovers
    35. Stranger Things
    36. New Amsterdam
    37. Big Little Lies
    38. The Flash
    39. Orange is the New Black
    40. Daredevil
    41. Scandal
    42. Good Girls
    43. Modern Family
    44. Veronica Mars
    45. Futureman
    46. Ozark
    47. How I Met Your Mother
    48. Parenthood
    48. The Umbrella Academy
    49. Superstore
    50. YOU
    51. Riverdale
    52. The Man in The High Castle
    53. Dead to Me
    54. Grace & Frankie
    55. Elite
    56. Money Heist
    57. The Fosters
    58. Preacher
    59. Bull
    60. American Horror Story

    + many many many more that I am now forgetting. Shows like The Big C (which shaped me) or Devious Maids, Private Practice, House, Once Upon a Time, Supergirl, Heroes, Glee...
    My Chart

    Comment


    • Originally posted by stevyy View Post
      I've just finished the series finale of my #1 show, Lucifer. OMG. I was bawling my eyes out. The show saved me. It was so good. Tom Ellis (and the entire cast) saved me.

      I really have to revise my alltime TV shows list now:

      01. Melrose Place
      02. The Good Wife
      03. Six Feet Under
      04. LOST
      05. Handmaid's Tale
      06. Dexter
      07. This Is Us
      08. Dawson's Creek
      09. Grey's Anatomy
      10. The Walking Dead
      11. Brothers & Sisters
      12. Suits
      13. LUCIFER
      14. Gilmore Girls
      15. Desperate Housewives
      16. Breaking Bad
      17. Game of Thrones
      18. Nip / Tuck
      19. True Blood
      20. The Good Fight
      21. Sex and The City
      22. Deutschland 83, 86, 89
      23. Friends
      24. Mad Men
      25. Charmed
      26. Medium
      27. Grimm
      28. Will & Grace
      29. How to get away with Murder
      30. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
      31. Chicago Med
      32. Sleepy Hollow
      33. Revenge
      34. The Leftovers
      35. Stranger Things
      36. New Amsterdam
      37. Big Little Lies
      38. The Flash
      39. Orange is the New Black
      40. Daredevil
      41. Scandal
      42. Good Girls
      43. Modern Family
      44. Veronica Mars
      45. Futureman
      46. Ozark
      47. How I Met Your Mother
      48. Parenthood
      48. The Umbrella Academy
      49. Superstore
      50. YOU
      51. Riverdale
      52. The Man in The High Castle
      53. Dead to Me
      54. Grace & Frankie
      55. Elite
      56. Money Heist
      57. The Fosters
      58. Preacher
      59. Bull
      60. American Horror Story

      + many many many more that I am now forgetting. Shows like The Big C (which shaped me) or Devious Maids, Private Practice, House, Once Upon a Time, Supergirl, Heroes, Glee...
      I thought you said it was your #1 but you ranked it 13th. Some great shows on your list though - New Amsterdam is so underrated yet amazing.

      Comment


      • Gutted, AJ has had to withdraw from the Strictly final due to an ankle injury!

        Comment


        • Oh no I was so looking forward to seeing her Charleston again!
          1 Harry Styles |2 Ochman |3 Purple Disco Machine |4 Go_A |5 Becky Hill

          Comment


          • What a night, absolutely perfect. I’ve had tears all night, the show has been utterly sensational.

            I truly thought they were evenly matched until the final routine, and John and Johannes then just edged it for me with an outstanding routine.

            Comment


            • Definitely the most emotional final amongst those in the room, probably enhanced by the fact the two competing finalists were from minority groups and AJ couldn’t dance.

              Comment


              • The Queen reigns atop the television ratings again, as she does almost every Christmas Day.

                Shocking ratings for the soaps - utterly dismal. I know television viewing habits are forever changed and that consolidated ratings will probably double these numbers but I just find the prospect of Eastenders doing less than 3m viewers on Christmas Day to be absolutely shocking.

                Scheduling this year also felt worse than ever - I remarked a number of times how poor the viewing choices were but I’m not surprised…as a programme director, why would you put more than minimum effort into things to get 3-4m viewers?

                Christmas Day TV: Nine million tune in for Queen's message

                The Queen's Christmas message, in which she spoke movingly about her late husband and empathised with families missing loved ones, was the most-watched TV show on Christmas Day.

                An audience of 8.96 million saw the festive address on BBC One, ITV and Sky News, according to overnight ratings.

                The BBC's Strictly Come Dancing Christmas Special and Call the Midwife were the next two most popular shows.

                In the battle of the soaps, ITV's Coronation Street came out on top.

                In her first annual Christmas message since the death of Prince Philip, the Queen, 95, described him as her beloved.

                "Christmas can be hard for those who have lost loved ones - this year especially I understand why," she said in the pre-recorded 10-minute address broadcast at 15:00 GMT.

                Her message last year, which centred on hope amid the pandemic, also topped the ratings, but drew slightly fewer viewers, with 8.14 million tuning in.

                By early evening, nearly six million were following six celebrities as they competed for the crown in Strictly's Christmas Special.

                This year's champion, pop star Anne-Marie, cha cha cha-ed her way to a perfect score of 40 from the judges, beating former Bake Off presenter Mel Giedroyc whose dance to Vanilla Ice's Ice Ice Baby was also a big hit.

                Other BBC Christmas Day favourites followed in the ratings list, including Michael McIntyre's Christmas Wheel, Blankety Blank, Mary Poppins Returns starring Emily Blunt, and Superworm, an adaptation of Julia Donaldson's popular children's book.

                Coronation Street was in eighth place - ITV's top-rated programme of the day - drawing 3.25 million viewers, followed closely by soap rivals ITV's Emmerdale (3 million) and BBC's EastEnders (2.92 million), according to ratings body Barb.

                This year, ITV put its Christmas Day shows on its on-demand player in the morning. People watching in that way are not reflected in the overnight figures, but will be included in the consolidated figures, which come out in just over a week's time.

                Christmas Day 2021's Top 10 TV hits

                1. The Queen - 8.96m (7.4m on BBC One, 1.49m on ITV, 0.07m on Sky News)

                2. Strictly Come Dancing (BBC One) - 5.78m

                3. Call The Midwife (BBC One) - 4.72m

                4. Michael McIntyre's Christmas Wheel (BBC One) - 4.64m

                5. Blankety Blank (BBC One) - 4.24m

                6. Mary Poppins Returns (BBC One) - 3.66m

                7. Superworm (BBC One) - 3.34m

                8. Coronation Street (ITV) - 3.25m

                9. Emmerdale (ITV) - 3m

                10. EastEnders (BBC One) - 2.92m

                https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59794242

                Comment


                • WTF was Superworm? Sounds awful.

                  Comment


                  • Christmas TV this year was dire.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Thombus View Post
                      Christmas TV this year was dire.
                      New year wasn't any better. Even the New Year concert was spoiled by the commentator going on about the COVID precautions! Can't understand why the audience wasn't allowed to stand during because of it? It doesn't make the slightest difference if you stand or sit to catching it!
                      Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!

                      Comment


                      • Did anyone watch the first episode of Anne? So tragic and sad all these years later.

                        The scene where they had to identify him off a wall of Polaroids was harrowing.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                          Did anyone watch the first episode of Anne? So tragic and sad all these years later.

                          The scene where they had to identify him off a wall of Polaroids was harrowing.
                          Yes I saw it. Brought tears to the old eyes
                          Never heard of that court before where they had the inquest - and I live in Sheffield

                          Anne died in 2013 of cancer, watching the actress play her you can see why, but that kind of stress would reduce the immune system down no end, so if it wasn't cancer it would have been something else. And boy did she have some stress. I thought the reporter coming in with flowers and stealing her sons picture was awful.
                          People go on about conspiracy theorists these days, but when you look at the 1989 disaster and that we now know that it was covered up and the police did lie and cover things up, you wonder if you can trust anyone in authority about anything. Yes there are some daft ideas like fake moon landings, but you sometimes think these were invented to hide something real.
                          Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                            Did anyone watch the first episode of Anne? So tragic and sad all these years later.

                            The scene where they had to identify him off a wall of Polaroids was harrowing.

                            Yep. It seems ITV have put the full thing on ITV Player. I found it very difficult to watch, especially the scene you mentioned.
                            1 Harry Styles |2 Ochman |3 Purple Disco Machine |4 Go_A |5 Becky Hill

                            Comment


                            • Final episode was a tear-jerker, such an amazing performance by Maxine Peake.

                              Comment


                              • Ant & Dec’s Limitless Win… a bit drawn out at times and one too many rules to follow but I didn’t mind it, some decent tension in parts.

                                Comment


                                • I feel like I’m the only person in the UK who doesn’t enjoy watching Ant and Dec.

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by Spartan View Post
                                    I feel like I’m the only person in the UK who doesn’t enjoy watching Ant and Dec.
                                    I used to really dislike them but they’ve grown on me slightly in the last couple of years.


                                    after feeling the incompetence of the police after “Anne”, I watched all three episodes of “Four Lives” this evening and wow, absolutely infuriating, I can’t believe how the police actually got away with such poor work. The families were asking the police the questions that they hadn’t even bothered to ask themselves. Excellent drama though with a strong cast!
                                    1 Harry Styles |2 Ochman |3 Purple Disco Machine |4 Go_A |5 Becky Hill

                                    Comment


                                    • I’ve got one episode left of Four Lives, the sheer incompetence and general “meh” attitude of the police because these were gay men was astounding! Not even that many years ago either! When the useless FLO was saying to the victim’s partner “were you in an open relationship then? You know what G is don’t you, all gays do”. Thank god for Anthony’s mum really.

                                      I recently binged another show that was really good, Screw on Channel 4, six part series similar in tone to Shameless about prison officers.

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                                        I’ve got one episode left of Four Lives, the sheer incompetence and general “meh” attitude of the police because these were gay men was astounding! Not even that many years ago either! When the useless FLO was saying to the victim’s partner “were you in an open relationship then? You know what G is don’t you, all gays do”. Thank god for Anthony’s mum really.

                                        I recently binged another show that was really good, Screw on Channel 4, six part series similar in tone to Shameless about prison officers.
                                        Yes, I've seen documentaries on this case and it's just disgraceful how the police handled this.

                                        I'll watch the series, but I'm not a fan of Sheridan Smith at all, and it looks like she's just playing the same character from 'The Moorside'.

                                        Comment


                                        • She can be a bit one note in this sort of role.

                                          Comment


                                          • She was outshone by the actress who played Jack’s? (The fourth victim) sister

                                            Comment


                                            • I also watched Four Lives and it left me feeling very frustrated - the unnecessary loss of live is just shameful and tragic. The way the police handled the investigations is shocking and I'm not convinced that were the circumstances the same or similar today, that the same situation wouldn't happen.

                                              Comment


                                              • Anyone who says anything against Queen Sheridan should have an instant ban tbh
                                                1 Harry Styles |2 Ochman |3 Purple Disco Machine |4 Go_A |5 Becky Hill

                                                Comment


                                                • Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post
                                                  Anyone who says anything against Queen Sheridan should have an instant ban tbh
                                                  There’s only one Queen Sh and it’s Queen Shama

                                                  Comment


                                                  • I watched The Tourist in full and thought it started great but the ending was a bit of a damp squib.

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X