Big Little Lies [HBO]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Little Lies [HBO]

Anyone else watch this? I'd been meaning to catch it for ages, and thankfully it was much easier to find it in 1080 after the awards sweep.

Ended up binge watching the series in a couple of days, which was easy since there are only 7 episodes. I'm completely hooked. The characterisation and cinematography are impressive, while the backdrop of Monterey makes for powerful scenery that adds to the drama of the show.

All of the leads and supporting actors are incredible in this.

Ps five year old Chloe is easily the best character in the show. She knows herself so well and has most of the best one-liners. Funny that she's probably the voice of reason within the show too.

[youtube:qzqc42lw]YFZcNKzDhYI[/youtube:qzqc42lw]
    late.

Re: Big Little Lies

I loved this and so glad itís getting the awards this season. Very happy to hear a second season is in the works too.

Just an FYI really, but Reese Wetherspoon is amazing with what sheís achieved recently. Back in 2012 she set up a production company to produce content that focused on stories about women, lead by strong women. This was in response to the fact there still isnít many roles for women once they get to a certain age.

Since she setup the company they have made 3 productions: Gone Girl, Wild and now Big Little Lies, all of which have been nominated for Oscars and Golden Globes, all of which she produced (and starred in 2).

Reese and her productions are absolutely ones to watch out for in the future based on their current track record. In fact itís probably the most exciting production company to watch out for, alongside Plan B productions (Brad Pittís company), which has produced some exciting content over the last 15 years (including 3 Oscars for ĎBest Pictureí - The Departed, 12 Years a Slave and Moonlight.
    Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

#FreeBritney

Comment

I loved Wild. It feels weird that Laura Dern played her Mum in that, and Shaileneís Mum in Fault In Our Stars.

I canít bleieve there wasnít already a thread for this. What a fantastic show it was, perfect season. All the cast are phenomenal, not a single bad link. I found the whodunnit (as in, who raped Jane) predictable but loved the reveal and the conclusion. 5 strong women coming together, it was wrought with emotion and power.

I donít know what to make of a second series - theyíve certainly got a lot to live up to.

Comment

This was one of my favourite shows of last year, even though I figured out the rapist early on it didn't stop the reveal and aftermath being amazing. Loved Nicole Kidman's character and Laura Dern's performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller
          This was one of my favourite shows of last year, even though I figured out the rapist early on it didn't stop the reveal and aftermath being amazing. Loved Nicole Kidman's character and Laura Dern's performance.la
          I mean, Laura Dern is just so fabulous in everything she does but this was great.

I mentioned it in the awards thread but I feel like Shailene Woodley doesnít get enough credit for her performance in this, sheís outstanding.

Comment

Love this! I binge watched this one weekend last year. It's so addictive. The performance from everyone are just outstanding, including the kids! Chloe and her music taste though!

The dialogue is cutting and funny. I love Reese's character yelling "get f*cked" at people! Also, this was brilliantly shot and the editing is superb. The ocean scenes are just calming.

I love that the most important scene had no dialogue. It gave more emphasis on their emotions. It is probably one of my favourite scenes on a TV series ever, I must have watched that part like 10 times!

Comment

I adored the first season. So so good. I love Reese so so. Much
              Love you like a love song!

Comment

I've just started watching this and just finished second episode, great series.

And now a major news, Meryl Streep joined the cast of Big Little Lies for Season 2.
                Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by spiritboy

And now a major news, Meryl Streep joined the cast of Big Little Lies for Season 2.
                  I'm envisaging the Golden Globe and Emmy nominations that she'll receive now, purely for being Meryl Streep. She'll be playing Alexander Skaarsgaard's character's mother.

Comment

Omg. I'm actually dead at the thought!!!
                    Love you like a love song!

Comment

Originally posted by menime123
                      Just an FYI really, but Reese Wetherspoon is amazing with what sheís achieved recently. Back in 2012 she set up a production company to produce content that focused on stories about women, lead by strong women. This was in response to the fact there still isnít many roles for women once they get to a certain age.

Since she setup the company they have made 3 productions: Gone Girl, Wild and now Big Little Lies, all of which have been nominated for Oscars and Golden Globes, all of which she produced (and starred in 2).
                      I didn't realise this, amazing.

Originally posted by xtofer
                      The dialogue is cutting and funny. I love Reese's character yelling "get f*cked" at people!
                      This x1000

Originally posted by Spartan

I'm envisaging the Golden Globe and Emmy nominations that she'll receive now, purely for being Meryl Streep. She'll be playing Alexander Skaarsgaard's character's mother.
                      The Meryl Streep? Insanity.
                      late.

Comment

I don't think that Nicole Kidman's performance was that outstanding to be honest.
                        Laura Dern, Shailene Woodley and Reese Witherspoon were better IMO. At least Dern got the rightful recognition in terms of awards.
                        My YouTube Channel - The best songs of the 80s, 90s and 2000s

Comment

Originally posted by Benny
                          I don't think that Nicole Kidman's performance was that outstanding to be honest.
                          Laura Dern, Shailene Woodley and Reese Witherspoon were better IMO. At least Dern got the rightful recognition in terms of awards.
                          Woah, I should move this to Unpopular Opinions thread.

I thought Kidman was fantastic. I actually felt Reese was a bit overrated in this. I'd have ranked their performances:
                          1. Dern
                          2. Kidman
                          3. Woodley
                          4. Witherspoon

But they were all fantastic in their own rights. I hope Zoe Kravitz gets some meatier material next season, she was rather under-utilized here.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny
                            Woah, I should move this to Unpopular Opinions thread.
                            Yes, probably!

Comment

I hope Zoe Kravitz gets some meatier material next season, she was rather under-utilized here.
                              Definitely. I think the conclusion of season 1 will result in her getting a lot more screen-time.
                              late.

Comment

Originally posted by urbanmusik
                                I hope Zoe Kravitz gets some meatier material next season, she was rather under-utilized here.
                                Definitely. I think the conclusion of season 1 will result in her getting a lot more screen-time.
                                I hope so. I just wish they donít try to cram too much into this season with too many characters.

Comment

Finished first season. Great cast, great storytelling and amazing scenery.

Wish we had seen "more" of Skargard if you know what i mean

I hope Madeline and Joseph re-ignite their affair in Season 2, i'm sure his wife Tori is a psychopath underneath that housewife appearance.
                                  Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

I hope Madeline and Joseph re-ignite their affair in Season 2, i'm sure his wife Tori is a psychopath underneath that housewife appearance.
                                    More? Just watch True Blood and you get the full view

#FreeBritney

Comment

Originally posted by menime123

More? Just watch True Blood and you get the full view
                                      Not the prosthetic view you get in this show. Plus you have some other very nice looking men in True Blood.

Comment

I watched the pilot ages ago, and thought it was rather boring.

I picked it up again late last night, and just finished the season finale a few minutes ago. What a brilliant show! I didn't see the Jane/Perry connection coming, or the Max revelation, or...a number of reveals really! Great acting, powerful storylines, quality editing, just a fantastic show all 'round.
                                        Akini's Top 100 Albums of the Decade: [80-76]

Comment

I thought the Jane/Perry connection was almost too obvious personally. But it was a fantastic season. Iím dreading the next one, I just canít see how itíll live up to the first season.

Comment

I thought the Jane/Perry connection was almost too obvious personally. But it was a fantastic season. Iím dreading the next one, I just canít see how itíll live up to the first season.
                                            Well, Meryl Streep joining is a fairly good indicator of quality imo, but I hear what youíre saying. The amount of talent though is unreal. But I trust Reese to pull it out the bag.

#FreeBritney

Comment

I'm sure Meryl will be fantastic but I think they had a strong enough cast to not need her personally. Too many stars and some won't shine as bright.

Comment

New teaser for season 2, which will premiere on 9 June:

Comment

Great news. This will be a great summer for series lovers.
                                                  Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

I was sceptical but trailer has me hyped.

Comment

The trailer left the hairs on my arms standing on end.

Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                                                      Great news. This will be a great summer for series lovers.
                                                      What other exciting series are on this summer?
                                                      late.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan View Post
                                                        I'm sure Meryl will be fantastic but I think they had a strong enough cast to not need her personally. Too many stars and some won't shine as bright.
                                                        I get what you mean but I donít think itís stunt casting either: Meryl certainly wouldnít be down for that and the show doesnít need it. My guess is the part will allow Meryl to shine and thatís why she said yes.

Reece is a producer and her companyís ethos is telling strong female stories. I suspect theyíll all get their chances to shine in season 2. I need to rewatch it, but the pedigree of talent just makes it feel like DHW with a-list superstars.

#FreeBritney

Comment

Originally posted by urbanmusik View Post
                                                          The trailer left the hairs on my arms standing on end.

What other exciting series are on this summer?
                                                          Pose, Stranger Things, Rain, Dark, Handmaid's Tale.
                                                          Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                                                            Pose, Stranger Things, Rain, Dark, Handmaid's Tale.
                                                            Dark season 2 is coming this summer? Yessssss. Might have to give the adaption of The Handmaid's Tale a go.
                                                            late.

Comment

Working...
                                                            X