Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Plym View Post
    traceys death would have more of an impact
    I'd genuinely need to take a few days compassionate leave from work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thombus View Post

I'd genuinely need to take a few days compassionate leave from work.
      that's fine sweetie, you don't do any work anyway
      so glad we're getting more of grey, can't believe you all wanted him thrown in jail by xmas
      what's going on?

Comment

• Following ITV’s announcement, Eastenders needs a kick up the arse. Who can they cast to take over The Vic?

I think the biggest casting the BBC could pull off would be getting David Jason, who I think would make the best landlord

I always thought Leslie Joseph would make a great landlady. I’m always surprised they have never cast Linda Robson as Kathy’s long lost sister too (and neither can act!)
        Straight white men rule everything around me

Comment

• Originally posted by Artoo View Post
          Following ITV’s announcement, Eastenders needs a kick up the arse. Who can they cast to take over The Vic?

I think the biggest casting the BBC could pull off would be getting David Jason, who I think would make the best landlord

I always thought Leslie Joseph would make a great landlady. I’m always surprised they have never cast Linda Robson as Kathy’s long lost sister too (and neither can act!)
          they don't need any new name, just stick karen in there. i don't care if they steal Corrie's plot from 1996 and she wins the lottery, it's a great fit. janine can then do the launderette seeing as no other jobs exist outside of the square...
          what's going on?

Comment

• Is there a genuine worry it could become like Brookside?
            Turn the lights down low and kiss me in the dark
            'Cause when you're touching me, baby, I see sparks..

Comment

• Originally posted by BehindBreakaway View Post
              Is there a genuine worry it could become like Brookside?
              sinbad on the market and jimmy corkhill seducing sharon? let's hope so!
              what's going on?

Comment

they don't need any new name, just stick karen in there. i don't care if they steal Corrie's plot from 1996 and she wins the lottery, it's a great fit. janine can then do the launderette seeing as no other jobs exist outside of the square...
                It’s not enough. Eastenders is already hammered in the ratings and now ITV have moved their schedule around to deliberately put an episode of either Emmerdale or Corrie on at the same time, every single time. I know people can use catchup to watch Eastenders, but there are plenty of people that won’t and viewers will just drop off.

I also disagree that Karen is the right fit - the show gains nothing new by putting the Taylors in the pub. They would be the same characters but in a different setting. It wouldn’t work. Yes it might provide some comic relief, but The family in The Vic are traditionally the shows lead family and that really isn’t the Taylors. I could sort of see it if Chantelle and Keanu were still around, but you get nothing story wise by putting Keegan or Mitch behind the bar.

Comment

I don’t think it’s there yet but the viewing figures lately have been pretty shocking. Last autumn an episode was beaten by Only Connect on BBC Two and it’s quite comfortably the third most popular soap in the country now - for a long time it was top. They always used to sweep award ceremonies and these days it’s more rare they win.

It usually does well on catch-up but the BBC revealed an episode “only” had just over 4m viewers INCLUDING catch up. Corrie had almost 6m and Emmerdale almost 5m in the same week.

The BBC boss said it’s down to inconsistent scheduling which I think is a bit of an excuse. Yes, routine helps and it has been a bit all over the schedules since the return in September 2020, but if people want to watch it that badly they’ll check when it’s on or catch up.

Basically they need to prioritise is or it’s going to end up sliding into the abyss within the next few years and with the government claiming they will axe the licence fee I would imagine EE being discussed from a cost point of view. One thing they should do is reduce it to three times a week IMO, quality over quantity.

Comment

I doubt it’s going anywhere - the BBC just spent close to 100m building a new set. But you can’t spend that much money and not try to bring viewers in. Especially in light of discussions about the licence fee being scrapped - Eastenders is supposed to be a flagship BBC show, but ratings are dipping under 3m (though supposedly as many as 1.5m are watching on iPlayer).

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                      One thing they should do is reduce it to three times a week IMO, quality over quantity.
                      I disagree - Emmerdale and Corrie broadcast more episodes per week and have millions more viewers. Admittedly that isn’t an indication of quality, but the viewers have spoken. I think it has a whole load of characters that are absolute muppets, mixed with bad writing and poor storyline execution. They have wasted Janine since she returned and introducing Zak did what exactly? How many times has Phil gone on the run? It’s the little things that start to add up to something bigger. At least ‘the bins’ storyline had consistency

Comment

• I haven't watched Corrie or Emmerdale for years, but I caught some of Emmerdale the other day and the familiarity of the Dingle clan stood out to me. EastEnders has lost its historic families. You only really have Phil of the Mitchells (Ben don't count cos of his many actor changes), the Beales are depleted, there are no Butchers left and the new families tend to dwindle quite quickly before they really get going. Dig up Pat I say.

Comment

• True, another thing going against EastEnders is the constant recasts.

My mum only ever sees it when I watch it at her house which is probably two or three times a year and she always says the same things: “that’s not the old Ben/Peter/Chelsea etc.” and “all they do on this programme is swap partners”. When Ian was with Denise she burst out laughing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                            True, another thing going against EastEnders is the constant recasts.

My mum only ever sees it when I watch it at her house which is probably two or three times a year and she always says the same things: “that’s not the old Ben/Peter/Chelsea etc.” and “all they do on this programme is swap partners”. When Ian was with Denise she burst out laughing.
                            That's what I dislike the most about Eastenders too. If an actor doesn't want to return, don't let that character come back. I still get annoyed for Ben being nothing like the kid who loved musicals.
                            And yes, they do have the worst love partners. Denise and Phil... Kat and Phil... So unbelievable.
                            Treated me kind, sweet destiny, carried me through desperation... Prayed through the nights, carried the weight on my own and now I know I've succeeded in finding the place I conceived... I had a Vision of Love

Comment

• It baffles me how people can live on the same square as neighbours for 10 years or more and then suddenly realise there’s an attraction.

Comment

• I agree. The recasting doesn't help. The fact they very very rarely give new characters or family's a chance to settle in doesn't help. And the quality of programming doesn't help. I mean it wasn't that long ago the big storyline was the bins not being emptied. With the new set they need a refresh. Update titles. Get rid of deadwood and invest the money in some good legacy character returns.

Comment

Get rid of deadwood and invest the money in some good legacy character returns.
                                  Like who?

Bianca ain’t coming back. Ricky could, but I doubt it. Janine is already back and Grant needs to return. But who else is left? I swear everyone that could have come back has already been back at least once.

I would love the Fowlers and Beales to be built up again but there just isn’t anyone out there to bring back except Michelle and Vicki, which I doubt will happen either.

I’d also love the Slaters to be built back up but Lynn ain’t coming back, Zoe isn’t coming back, Big Mo quit, Charlie was killed off and the less said about Belinda, Alfie and that rough one the better. Little Mo would be a welcome returnee but they put her through everything the first time around.

Otherwise, Eastenders killed off everyone else that could come back. Ronnie and Roxy were huge mistakes, as was Pat.

Comment

• Yet another issue! They shot themselves in the foot by killing everyone off.

The one character who deserved an iconic and emotional death, Dot, didn’t end up getting it cos June Brown was upset with how they were writing the character and sacked it all off!

Comment

• As much as June claims to have been able to do the job, I’m not sure she could. She can barely see and Dot hasn’t been seen outside of her front room for years, making one appearance every six months or something. It’s a crap ending, but I like that Dot has gone off to live in Ireland with Charlie and Matthew.

Eastenders needs new blood. They need a family to come rocking up with about a hundred secrets like when the Slaters first joined, with a matriarch/patriarch overseeing adult kids with their own sets of problems.

The Vic is the perfect place for that. I don’t think they’ve ever had an owner that was 100% brand new, with no connections to the square. Maybe it’s time.

Comment

• what about giving tracey a new storyline? how about she has an affair with phil and then blackmails danny dyer into signing the vic over to her then she murders kathy in the cafe with a toaster or soemthing and 6 months later, they find the body under a market stall?

i might email that one to the bbc, they can have it for free
                                        what's going on?

Comment

what about giving tracey a new storyline? how about she has an affair with phil
                                          Tracey’s been there and was not impressed

Comment

• oh ive got goosebumps, what if they ask me to become a writer
                                            what's going on?

Comment

oh ive got goosebumps, what if they ask me to become a writer
                                              Then you’d be no worse than their current best.

Comment

• But would some of these people say no for the right right. I mean it's not like Zoe is doing much IRL. Grant would be brilliant. Id actually prefer the recast Sam to come back as opposed to Daniella Westbrook. Find a way to bring fatboy back.

I do agree though, they have killed a lot of people off. And to be honest. It's not like they haven't brought people from the dead before

Comment

• They could rebuild the Mitchells and Fowlers a bit by bringing Sam (Kim playing her), Vicky, Courtney and Mark back.

Sam could return with a new husband and adult step-children in tow and buy the Vic in tribute to her mum, but there could be ulterior motives to her return. That way it’s fresh blood but familiar links at the same time. It could explore her relationship with Ricky Jr too who she abandoned with Jack, as well as another dynamic for Ben and Phil. I don’t think Kat and Sam would get on cos of Zoe so there could be a feud there too.

Vicky would be good for Sharon and Martin to have a new focus, although I’m not sure why Courtney would be there without Grant, nor Mark, so basically they need to bring back Ross Kemp

Only issue is with all these characters they’d probably have new heads again and they made that awful mistake with Michelle.

Comment

• If they bring Vicki back now you just know they’ll put her with Zak and give Sharon a taste of her own medicine

There were rumours a month or two ago about Sam Mitchell being recast so it’s possible they’re looking to bring her back. But I’d rather Grant.

Courtney and Mark both have family on the square but no emotional connection to the place without Grant.

Didn’t Frank have another daughter? Janine could do with a sister around. She’s vicious to everyone but a sister might ground her a bit.

I’d like Jane to return with Ian when he comes back. She is literally the only woman who has been able to deal with him (Kathy just puts up with him )

Comment

Working...
                                                    X