X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thriller
    replied
    Cracking line from Ben last night.

Kathy: you’ve never had hay fever in your life!
    Ben: how would you know, you were dead for most of it!

Leave a comment:

• Thriller
    replied
    Sounds like Brookside were definitely bitter that she was moving on to bigger things.

That article made me remember Biff, forgot all about him! I didn't realise they married in real life.

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    Originally posted by Thriller View Post
    Just seen this - no I didn’t watch it first hand, I was 8 when that aired and my parents only let me start watching Brookie when I was 10

I’ve obviously seen it on clips though. I remember Beth’s abrupt death, did Anna Friel want to leave?
    Yes, but not in that way. She said at the time she had been against her going to prison. She wanted a heroic exit - quite rightly.

She finally told the facts of what happened in Esquire magazine in 2008 - i just dusted down my copy!

She thought she was staying till the end of her contract (another four months) but they literally pulled her out of the prison set and told her to go home. She was told by producer Mal Young "Get your things, you're going now. We don't want to make a big deal of you leaving" So she drove home without a leaving party, never seeing any of the Brookside cast and crew again. They did it out of spite.

I was reading of a similar rushed exit doled out to Emmerdale's Tonicha Jeronimo. She spared no punches in her interviews at the time. https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Emmer......-a060705297
    But at least she got a leaving do.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    My timeline:

80s: Dallas/Dynasty/The Colby's/Falcon Crest
    90s: The Bold and the Beautiful/Santa Barbara/As The World Turns
    00s: Eastenders
    10s: Eastenders

80s were the best though.

Leave a comment:

• Thriller
    replied
    Originally posted by Blondini View Post
    Loved Home and Away when Melissa George was in it - there was a girl dying from leukemia storyline that is still the best, most affecting storyline i've seen in an Aussie soap. My mam used to watch all the Aus soaps so i've seen them all. Sons and Daughters, The Young Doctors, The Sullivans.

Nothing compares to Brookside. It forced the other soaps to change to appeal to a more younger audience (as did Enders which had them almost from the start). Sadly it also encouraged more and more outrageous storylines which meant there's been several occasions where both Enders and Corrie have gone too far - the Enders baby swap is still the biggest mistake a UK soap ever made.
    Ah yeah, think she was called Meg and had a boyfriend called Blake. I remember her dying on the beach.

Brookie’s sensational stories definitely led to (especially) Corrie and the others following suit to try and be the “first”.

Leave a comment:

• Thriller
    replied
    ^ You never saw Trevor Jordache being killed and that whole abuse storyline? (lasted a couple of months). Anna Friel's best years (the on-the-run thing was great but her exit was dreadful and against her wishes). I recorded all the Anna Friel stuff when it was repeated on Sky Living though it's all on VHS tapes of course and not easily accessed unless i unplug the DVD player and put the dusty old VHS player in its place.
    Just seen this - no I didn’t watch it first hand, I was 8 when that aired and my parents only let me start watching Brookie when I was 10

I’ve obviously seen it on clips though. I remember Beth’s abrupt death, did Anna Friel want to leave?

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post

That was the first story that I ever remember watching in soaps
    Baptism of fire!

Leave a comment:

• SholasBoy
    replied
    ^ You never saw Trevor Jordache being killed and that whole abuse storyline? (lasted a couple of months). Anna Friel's best years (the on-the-run thing was great but her exit was dreadful and against her wishes).

That was the first story that I ever remember watching in soaps

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    Always watched Hollyoaks - admittedly it's the hot women that kept me even when it was not great. Still have all the calendars.
    Only recently started watching Neighbours again - when Van Outen guested in it, stayed for Harlow, Hendrix, Roxy and Mackenzie the trans girl. Jason Donovan's daughter is leagues ahead of a lot of them by being so subtle in her performance. Previous to that i hadn't watched it regularly since Holly Valance / Imbruglia days.
    Loved Home and Away when Melissa George was in it - there was a girl dying from leukemia storyline that is still the best, most affecting storyline i've seen in an Aussie soap. My mam used to watch all the Aus soaps so i've seen them all. Sons and Daughters, The Young Doctors, The Sullivans.

Nothing compares to Brookside. It forced the other soaps to change to appeal to a more younger audience (as did Enders which had them almost from the start). Sadly it also encouraged more and more outrageous storylines which meant there's been several occasions where both Enders and Corrie have gone too far - the Enders baby swap is still the biggest mistake a UK soap ever made.
    Last edited by Blondini; Wed May 13th, 2020, 16:20.

Leave a comment:

• Thriller
    replied
    I think my timeline goes:

Late 80s - late 90s: Neighbours
    1993 - present: Corrie, EastEnders, Emmerdale
    1995 - early 00s: Home & Away, Brookside
    2007 - 2014: Hollyoaks

Never watched Doctors.

O/T but I just had a look at H&A's cast list out of interest and it's tiny compared to other soaps! They only have six characters who've been in the show more than 4 years. I also had no idea Emily Symons had been back as Marilyn for ten years now!

Leave a comment:

• Spartan
    replied
    I think soaps are such good escapism, such a shame that less and less people are watching them nowadays.

I’ve watch EastEnders since the late 90s, on and off though. I find it’s so easy to just get back into.

I only really watched Corrie in the 00s.

I watched Hollyoaks in the 00s and while I was at Uni but that’s it.

I was absolutely obsessed with Neighbours from the late 90s to the mid-10s (or thereabouts).

Leave a comment:

• BehindBreakaway
    replied
    I was 8, I got into the soaps big time in 1993. I was watching Corrie and EastEnders regularly that year and Emmerdale as of the plane crash at the end of the year. Then I was a Brookside fan from 1995 when the body was discovered under the patio and Home & Away around the same time. Neighbours is among my earliest ever TV memories though in the late 80s.
    I'm the same, my mum was a soap fan so I watched them with her. Brookside will always hold a special place. I watched it right up until the end. Even through the rough years lol.

Emmerdale is probably my favourite soap now because it's my husbands. But I still watch all of them bar home and away and neighbours (I did watch the 35th anniversary though)

I don't know. There's something comforting about soaps. They change but it's still the same thing. You basically know what you're getting and they will always remind me of childhood!

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    I started watching in the late 90s. At first only with half an eye, when my husband was watching. Didn't like it much myself. But slowly I started to get to know the characters, and started to follow the storylines. One of the first things I remember is when Tiffany died at the end of 1998.

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    ^ You never saw Trevor Jordache being killed and that whole abuse storyline? (lasted a couple of months). Anna Friel's best years (the on-the-run thing was great but her exit was dreadful and against her wishes). I recorded all the Anna Friel stuff when it was repeated on Sky Living though it's all on VHS tapes of course and not easily accessed unless i unplug the DVD player and put the dusty old VHS player in its place.

I've always been on and off with Enders but pretty constant with Emmerdale and Corrie. I think i watched them both on video after work during this time. Or i might not have bothered. Not sure!

I was REALLY into Enders when Ricky had his affair with Natalie. They should have stayed as a couple, Bianca was no good for him.
    Last edited by Blondini; Tue May 12th, 2020, 15:48.

Leave a comment:

• Thriller
    replied
    I was 8, I got into the soaps big time in 1993. I was watching Corrie and EastEnders regularly that year and Emmerdale as of the plane crash at the end of the year. Then I was a Brookside fan from 1995 when the body was discovered under the patio and Home & Away around the same time. Neighbours is among my earliest ever TV memories though in the late 80s.

Leave a comment:

• Spartan
    replied
    It's even worse than I remembered! I don't think it lasted long at all.

Yeah Sean Maguire was Aiden who Arthur took under his wing, he was the boyfriend of Mandy Salter who later returned and almost married Ian.
    I remember Mandy returning a few years ago (she was awful) but I didn’t start watching the show ‘til the late 90s as I was only 3 in 1993.

Leave a comment:

• Thriller
    replied
    It's even worse than I remembered! I don't think it lasted long at all.

Yeah Sean Maguire was Aiden who Arthur took under his wing, he was the boyfriend of Mandy Salter who later returned and almost married Ian.

Leave a comment:

• Spartan
    replied
    Was that the jazzy theme tune that was swiftly ditched because fans hated it?

Awful theme song, never realised Sean Maguire was in EastEnders though.

Leave a comment:

• Thriller
    replied
    Was that the jazzy theme tune that was swiftly ditched because fans hated it?

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    Classic EastEnders (Drama channel): Bianca makes her debut! (right now)
    Anyone remember Shelley and Clem?
    Some daft hidden love thing going on during a trip to Amsterdam with Michelle and Mark.

The HORROR of the 1993 theme tune! Make it go away!!!!!

I was working evenings during these November 93 episodes so i never saw them.
    Last edited by Blondini; Tue May 12th, 2020, 13:46.

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    Classic EastEnders (Drama channel): Bianca makes her debut! (right now)

Leave a comment:

• Spartan
    replied
    She just seems stuck in an endless cycle of doomed relationships and abuse, she needs different challenges.
    I remember reading an interview with Kate Oates saying they had a two-year plan for Whitney. To me, it just seems like an endless cycle of crap.

And they need to give this Chantelle/Gray storyline some direction/purpose.

Leave a comment:

• Thriller
    replied
    She just seems stuck in an endless cycle of doomed relationships and abuse, she needs different challenges.

Leave a comment:

• Spartan
    replied
    I think they clearly struggle with Whitney as a character, decent enough actress but always lumbered with shit stories. They should never have split her and Lee up tbh.

Leave a comment:

• Thriller
    replied
    Not Whitney getting herself embroiled with ANOTHER bad man

Is Jean’s bipolar making a comeback?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X