You [Lifetime/Netflix]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You [Lifetime/Netflix]

You is an American psychological thriller television series based on the 2014 novel of the same name by Caroline Kepnes. It follows Joe Goldberg, a New York bookstore manager who falls in love with a customer named Guinevere Beck and quickly becomes obsessed with her.

Starring Penn Badgley as Joe and Elizabeth Lail as Beck, the series premiered on Lifetime on September 9, 2018. Lifetime announced that You had been renewed for a second season on July 26, 2018, ahead of the series premiere.

On December 3, 2018, it was announced that the series would move to Netflix as a "Netflix Original" title, ahead of the premiere of the second season.

Cast and characters
    Main
    Penn Badgley as Joe Goldberg, a bookstore manager at Mooney's who stalks and then dates Beck
    Elizabeth Lail as Guinevere Beck, a broke graduate student and an aspiring writer
    Luca Padovan as Paco, Joe's young neighbor
    Zach Cherry as Ethan, a bookstore clerk who works with Joe
    Shay Mitchell as Peach Salinger, Beck's wealthy best friend

Recurring
    Daniel Cosgrove as Ron, the parole officer boyfriend of Paco's mother
    Kathryn Gallagher as Annika, one of Beck's friends, a social media influencer
    Nicole Kang as Lynn, another of Beck's friends
    Victoria Cartagena as Claudia, Paco's mother
    Mark Blum as Mr. Mooney, the owner of Mooney's and Joe's boss
    Hari Nef as Blythe, a rival graduate student to Beck
    John Stamos as Dr. Nicky, Beck's therapist
    Ambyr Childers as Candace, Joe's ex-girlfriend
    My YouTube Channel - The best songs of the 80s, 90s and 2000s

I watched the show within 3 days and absolutely loved it, it's basically a love story version of 'Dexter', great TV!

[youtube:26hgouym]cKOhno0IMpA[/youtube:26hgouym]

Comment

How funny that you could see right into Beck's appartment from the street, even when she was having sex!?!

Comment

Re: You (Lifetime/ Netflix show)

I need to watch this!
        5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

It started good but got messy at the end.
          Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by spiritboy
            It started good but got messy at the end.
            I liked the ending!
            [spoiler:1milzljc]I would have never expected Beck to die in the end, I thought that he would lock her in the basement forever or something like that.[/spoiler:1milzljc]

Comment

Iím loving this so far.
              5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

Iíve seen the first four episodes and Iím enjoying it, but itís starting to feel like Revenge now with all the angst between Beck and her dad - plus the actress looks so much like the girl who played Emily in Revenge. Hope something big happens soon, another murder would be good!

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller
                  itís starting to feel like Revenge [...] plus the actress looks so much like the girl who played Emily in Revenge.
                  Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that!
                  Ok onto the last episode, I really really really enjoyed this show.

Comment

Iíve seen the first four episodes and Iím enjoying it, but itís starting to feel like Revenge now with all the angst between Beck and her dad - plus the actress looks so much like the girl who played Emily in Revenge. Hope something big happens soon, another murder would be good!
                    True, the actress who plays Beck does look like Emily in 'Revenge'. The show itself however doesn't remind me of 'Revenge', it's more like a softer version of 'Dexter' IMO.

Comment

Started watching this recently. I'm on episode 3 or 4 (?) rn and I'm really enjoying it so far, although I hope it gets a little more intense towards the end of the season.

Comment

Binge watched this. Was really good. Some elements pushed the boundaries of believability but you just have to ignore that.
                        Ste's Personal Chart 2020

Comment

It's far fetched and inconsistent in places but generally really enjoyable. Joe is an incredibly strong character and Penn Badgley's performance is stunning.

Has anyone read the novel?

Comment

I liked this one ! Penn was great

Comment

Hated Joe by the end!

[spoiler:3dybsxvn]Didnít expect Beck to be killed off, especially when she smacked him with a lump hammer yet he was able to overpower her thirty seconds later.[/spoiler:3dybsxvn]

Looks like thereíll be a second season then?

Comment

Hated Joe by the end!

[spoiler:311efodl]Didnít expect Beck to be killed off, especially when she smacked him with a lump hammer yet he was able to overpower her thirty seconds later.[/spoiler:311efodl]

Looks like thereíll be a second season then?
                                Yes, second season is confirmed, because there's the second part of the book as well.
                                When we lose what we love
                                Don't think anything will ever taste the same
                                When we lose what we love
                                Don't think anything will ever feel as good again

Comment

Hated Joe by the end!

[spoiler:2s68nnyx]Didnít expect Beck to be killed off, especially when she smacked him with a lump hammer yet he was able to overpower her thirty seconds later.

Looks like thereíll be a second season then?[/spoiler:2s68nnyx]
                                  [spoiler:2s68nnyx]To be honest I didn't like Beck very much. I thought that Karen was a much better girlfriend for Joe, but she was probably too normal for him. He wanted a troubled princess whom he could save from bad people.

Apparently season 2 will take place in LA.[/spoiler:2s68nnyx]

Comment

It's good that we won't have to wait long for season 2, it'll be aired sometime in 2019.
                                    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Season 2 is around the corner. I'll definitely be watching.

It's funny and interesting the psychological effect this show causes on the audience though. The show plays with people's empathy capacities, it is literally designed for people to empathize with the sociopath with nearly EVERYONE hating on beck (A.K.A the actual victim of the show).

The response to this show and the extreme hate the audience showed towards the character Beck makes me realize about how the mind is tricky and a very interesting field on people.
                                      Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncť . Soda Stereo

Comment

There's been a lot of debate as to what kind of personality Joe is. Caroline Kepnes marketed his character in the book as a sociopath; we're given the impression in the first few episodes of the show that he's a psychopath, but I think that's challenged as the series progresses. I feel that he's more of a combination of a narcissist and a borderline. I don't think Penn Badgley intended to target one specific personality type with his portrayal.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshie View Post
                                          There's been a lot of debate as to what kind of personality Joe is. Caroline Kepnes marketed his character in the book as a sociopath; we're given the impression in the first few episodes of the show that he's a psychopath, but I think that's challenged as the series progresses. I feel that he's more of a combination of a narcissist and a borderline. I don't think Penn Badgley intended to target one specific personality type with his portrayal.
                                          It's a bit complex because it's common to consider Psychopathy and Sociopathy as synonymous words, both are antisocial disorders but many psychiatrists debate on those words meaning the same and consider them to have differences. Psychopathy is often associated with people who face psychological and environmental factors combined with biological and genetic factors, even often diganosed with dysfunctions in the prefrontal cortex and amygdala regions of the brain, many studies indicate that psychopaths are predetermined / or at risk to turn that way on the other hand Sociopathy is generally associated with social and environmental factors alone, without any medical or genetic condition playing a part in the context. Certain psychriatists have said that a Psychopath is born while a Sociopath is made.

About the involvement of narcissism, the thing with it is that narcissism can be a whole independent personality disorder thus meaning there are people who can be narcissists and not necessarily psychopaths or sociopaths (examples could apply to certain celebrities or politicians) however one have to consider that EVERY psychopath or sociopath display narcissism, all sociopaths and psychopaths out there are narcissists.

As for Penn Badgley, I would view him as a sociopath, I don't think he was meant to be that way biologically but all the enviromental factors amd circumstances of abuse he faced during his childhood developed a sociopathic personality on him. Having said that, he's very the "Hollywood-Sociopath-Cliche" though and I don't think you would find people like him in the real world / life that often. Sociopaths and psychopaths are largely exploited by hollywood and entertainment into a very stereotypical being but the majority of them are less "interesting" and are not killers or physically threatening to society.

Last edited by MrLeonix; Sat September 14th, 2019, 12:58.
                                          Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncť . Soda Stereo

Comment

I also think there are a few other things to be considered as to the psychopathy verses sociopathy debate. Psychopaths are slick and smooth, and can function well in society; they plan out their acts meticulously whereas a sociopath is more impulsive and clumsy, and tends to live on the fringes of society. It's been a while since I watched the show, but I remember an incident in the first few episodes where I think Joe tries to take one of the bodies of his victims into the woods and tries to humour passers by (I might have the exact incident wrong but you might know which one I mean); this was one of the moments where I began to think that his status as a psychopath was questioned because of the sheer impulsivity and clumsiness of the crime. Though he seems to have impaired emotion (as a sociopath would), he doesn't completely lack emotionality in the way a psychopath would: we're lead to believe that he seems to genuinely care about Paco and, outside of his relations with Beck, a supposed lack of conscience doesn't necessarily extend itself to other areas of his life.

I don't think he quite meets the criteria for Narcissistic Personality Disorder, which not all narcissists necessarily have. However, he has quite an extreme sense of self absorption, superficial charm, lacks empathy and is exploitative and envious. He seems to credit himself for the publishing of Beck's writing after he kills her, and creates an alternative fantasy world for himself whereby he uses several narcissistic tactics to justify his behaviour and alter the reality of what has happened. He gaslights Beck and uses Peach as a scapegoat. He uses projection to transfer all of his wrongdoings onto others.

As for Borderline Personality Disorder, he has extremely severe emotional instability whereby he undergoes several mood changes within an extremely short space of time (Penn portrays this stunningly in, I think, the ninth episode in the scene where Beck and Joe are at his flat and Paco tells Beck of Joe's secret hiding place), impulsivity, goes to efforts to avoid abandonment from Beck, has dissociations from reality, and an identity disturbance, going as far as to portray himself as someone else to his therapist (which John Stamos's character sees through eventually). His therapist alludes to there being two of him. He splits (also a facet of narcissism) between admiring and depreciating Beck in an irrational way, and doesn't control his emotions well in the process, which again would single out the idea of psychopathy.

Human psychology is extremely intricate and, though I'm not a psychologist, as someone who has studied cluster B personality disorders for a number of years now, I see a lot of traits of them in Joe. It's not surprising that there's a vast amount of study on what kind of personality type he is.
                                            Last edited by Yoshie; Sat September 14th, 2019, 16:45.

Comment

Season 2 coming on December 26!

Comment

Originally posted by KEY9481 View Post
                                                Season 2 coming on December 26!
                                                Yass
                                                Love you like a love song!

Comment

Alright! finally

Comment

Working...
                                                  X