X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Us (2019)

[center:1z44gol9]

[youtube:1z44gol9]hNCmb-4oXJA[/youtube:1z44gol9][/center:1z44gol9]

After sending shockwaves across contemporary culture and setting a new standard for provocative, socially-conscious horror films with his directorial debut, Get Out, Academy Award®-winning visionary Jordan Peele returns with another original nightmare that he has written, directed and produced.

Set in present day along the iconic Northern California coastline, Us, from Monkeypaw Productions, stars Oscar® winner Lupita Nyong’o as Adelaide Wilson, a woman returning to her beachside childhood home with her husband, Gabe (Black Panther’s Winston Duke), and their two children (Shahadi Wright Joseph, Evan Alex) for an idyllic summer getaway.

Haunted by an unexplainable and unresolved trauma from her past and compounded by a string of eerie coincidences, Adelaide feels her paranoia elevate to high-alert as she grows increasingly certain that something bad is going to befall her family.

After spending a tense beach day with their friends, the Tylers (Emmy winner Elisabeth Moss, Tim Heidecker, Cali Sheldon, Noelle Sheldon), Adelaide and her family return to their vacation home. When darkness falls, the Wilsons discover the silhouette of four figures holding hands as they stand in the driveway. Us pits an endearing American family against a terrifying and uncanny opponent: doppelgängers of themselves.

Writer and director Peele produces for his Monkeypaw Productions alongside Sean McKittrick, Jason Blum, and Monkeypaw’s Ian Cooper. Us will be released by Universal Pictures on Friday, March 15, 2019.
    5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Very much looking forward to this! Jordan Peele did a great job with Get Out

Comment

Re: Us (March 15, 2019)

Loved Get Out so I’ll definitely check this out.

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller
        My YouTube Channel - The best songs of the 80s, 90s and 2000s

Comment

Originally posted by Benny
          Originally posted by Thriller
          | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

Seriously, I can’t wait for this
            | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

Why no commentary? The film is phenomenal.
              "What goes around comes back around my baby"

Comment

I saw this a couple weeks ago. Loved it. Jordan Peele really is a talented storyteller. Fantastic set up; genuinely scary/shocking in its initial hour; some great set pieces and solid performances from everyone for sure, I like that the kids were treated as fully fledged characters rather than plot devices and they were more than up for the challenge of dual roles. Ultimately the film belongs to Lupita Nyong'o and she commits completely. Her embodiment of Red goes far above what would normally be delivered in a standard horror film.

Then again, Us is definitely not standard horror. It's a smart and at times scathing allegory of minorities rising up into power from subservience. Severing ties with the oppression and the privileged's wanting to keep them unseen. Even the title (U.S.) I thought was clever.

I thought the Third Act lost a little of its impact; particularly with the 'big reveal' which I found similar to the Bond thing of taking type to explain your plan instead of just enacting it and leaving your target with time/tools to get away. Also the Hands Across America thing... I get it but if you'd cut that entire subplot out, I don't think it would have detracted anything from the final film.
                Baaaaad relationship??
                The lyric video for my new single TRIP THE ALARM here!

♬ Keen addictions, between afflictions, I guess I had it coming...

Comment

Looooved this! I found it better than Get Out and that one was amazing already.

The only con I have for this : the jokes in the movie. Every now and then it’s funny, but I felt like there were too many « let’s laugh a bit now » scenes. Otherwise, strong movie and I loved Lupita.

Comment

This is one of those movies that I found almost comical at first, but that turned out to be genius in hindsight (another recent example would be 'mother!'). Definitely gives you food for thought. We're still discussing it weeks later.

It's much harder to get for international audiences though, I don't think any of the people who were with us in the cinema understood it right away. Lots of confused faces and I overheard people in the restroom debating whether it would really be possible to build such a facility right under the beach.

Comment

Originally posted by Rihab View Post
                      This is one of those movies that I found almost comical at first, but that turned out to be genius in hindsight (another recent example would be 'mother!'). Definitely gives you food for thought. We're still discussing it weeks later.

It's much harder to get for international audiences though, I don't think any of the people who were with us in the cinema understood it right away. Lots of confused faces and I overheard people in the restroom debating whether it would really be possible to build such a facility right under the beach.

I don't think this only goes for international audiences, though. Metaphors and symbolism typically fly over at least half of ANY audiences heads.

Comment

I watched this last night, and thought it was okay, but it didn't impact me as much as Get Out did. I guess I still have more to unpack with this one.
                        Akini's Top 100 Artists of the Decade: [#2]

Comment

Finally seen this last night and I actually really enjoyed it
                          Love you like a love song!

Comment

Was it horror? Was it comedy? It was both and finally it was neither of those.. I really dont know what it was but the soundtrack was great and Lupita stole that movie for herself!
                            Three rules of work: Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewokguy15 View Post
                              Very much looking forward to this! Jordan Peele did a great job with Get Out
                              +1. I completely agree. Now it is very relevant, as well as on demand app development cost.

Comment

Just seen this - pretty good even if you can see the twist ending coming.

Better than the overrated Get Out.

Comment

Yeah, I watched this recently while working in my app development company and it was amazing. Waiting for something new like this. Cheers!!

Comment

Is this spam?
                                    "What goes around comes back around my baby"

Comment

Seems quite likely!

Comment

Working...
                                      X