Star Wars Universe: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars Universe: Obi-Wan Kenobi

5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

I started watching the new Disney+ show 'The Book of Bobba Fett' and liked it so much that I also started with this one. It's very well-done, and the Baby Yoda is absolutely adorable!

Comment

I haven’t watched Book of Bobba Fett just yet, but the Mandalorian is epic - from the first few episodes you can’t even begin to understand just how epic the journey (and pay off) will be as you get to the end of season two. My Apple Watch kept giving me heart warning because I was getting far too excited by it all

I’m so excited for the future of the franchise on Disney and the stories they’re going to tell. I also highly recommend watching the Clone Wars series and the Rebels series. Yes they are animated shows but they are very much canon and linked to these live action shows as all the shows are a shared universe.

Also, if you’re a fan of YouTube reactions, I highly recommend Heroes Reforged - they are great at breaking down the episodes, pointing out references and providing context.
      Straight white men rule everything around me

Comment

Edited the thread to make this a Star Wars discussion thread, similar to the MUC and Harry Potter threads.

Comment

Great second episode of 'Bobba Fett' last night. The scenes when the train was attacked were fantastic.

Comment

Anyone watching this? Episode 5 was a great surprise but my god, Episode 6 is everything

Comment

The last 2 episodes were in fact Mandalorian episodes, but I loved them, especially the last one. I was pleasantly surprised to see that much of Grogu.

Comment

The pay off will come in the next episode - Grogu will choose Mando, Luke will return him to Tatooine and end up joining Boba’s army. We couldn’t just have Mando, Luke and Grogu turning up to save Boba’s bacon without seeing everything we’ve seen in the last two episodes.

But Luke looks amazing - I really hope we get other faces now, like Leia and Han. But watching Asoka talking to Luke was brilliant, and then Cad Bane at the end - next episode is literally going to be Avengers Assemble

I’d like one more cameo next week. I really want to see Omega Fett, Hera or Ezra.

Comment

I really loved bobba fett thus far, but the last two episodes were insane. One of the best things Star Wars has offered us thus far. It’s kinda shocking how many time they spend with Mando and grogu, but on the other hand im intrigued by the way they are intertwining these series and episodes. It’s kind of epic. Im also extremely surprised how much they are using Luke, I imagined he would only be seen in the last episode of mando s2. I also don’t think it was outside of Luke’s character to give him a choice, he knows first hand what emotions can do to a Jedi and to which destruction it might lead. He is worried obviously. At the end we all know grogu is gonna be the next Jedi/mandolorian combo. It has existed before since they hinted at it the previous episode. Seeing grogu with his mando suit and a Jedi sword, fighting and making cute sounds is something we all dream of!

I don’t think we will see grogu back next episode. He is way too weak to do anything for now. Mando s3 will focus on his choice (or being both eventually?) and mando going to the mines of mandolorian to cleanse himself. That’s what I assume is coming. I imagine next episode will focus totally on the fight between bobba and the syndicate with a battle. After building boba fett up and letting him a bit go last two episodes I think they will go out with a bang and a full circle moment.
                  Eudaimonia
                  Last.fm
                  Instagram

Comment

Absolutely loved the season finale last night! Spectacular fights, Mando & Grogu reunited, I couldn't have asked for more.

Comment

Yes, great ending for the season, wrapping things up nicely. I expected Luke to turn up with Grogu and have him meet Boba, but I guess they’re saving that for another day.

I’m surprised they killed off Cad Bane so soon, and really surprised he didn’t tell Boba he has a sister out there somewhere he’s never met (Omega from The Bad Batch).

What I’ve loved about this series is how it’s really widened the scope of Star Wars. They keep proving that these TV shows can go anywhere and do anything and nothing is off the table. It makes it very exciting.

Considering how amazing the deepfake is for Luke, I really think we’ll get scenes with Luke, Han and Leia at some point. Han and Boba definitely need to meet again.

But if I’m honest, I just want a live action Chopper, Ezra, Hera and Sabine. I honestly think my head would explode

Comment

OBI-WAN KENOBI WILL DEBUT MAY 25 ON DISNEY+

EWAN MCGREGOR RETURNS AS THE JEDI MASTER IN THE EPIC LIMITED SERIES.

One of the greatest Jedi ever is back for a new mission.

Obi-Wan Kenobi, the new limited series from Lucasfilm, will debut May 25, exclusively on Disney+. The series stars Ewan McGregor, reprising his role as the iconic Jedi Master. You can get a first look at the striking Obi-Wan Kenobi teaser poster below, featuring the titular hero traversing a barren desert.

The story begins 10 years after the dramatic events of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith, in which Obi-Wan Kenobi faced his greatest defeat — the downfall and corruption of his best friend and Jedi apprentice, Anakin Skywalker, who turned to the dark side and became the evil Sith Lord, Darth Vader.
                        I can’t even begin to explain how hyped I am for this.

Comment

Brilliant finale. Disney is creating something very beautiful for Star Wars atm. I’m impressed. Last three series were far better than those sequel movies.
                          Eudaimonia
                          Last.fm
                          Instagram

Comment

This should have been called 'Bounty Hunters'.

It's almost like they didn't think Boba could handle a full series so we got Luke, Ahsoka, Cad Bane, and the whole second half being Mando and Grogu.

Hmm. I loved it, love Boba Fett and the Mandalorian but there were a few major missteps here.

The Mod gang i.e. 'lets sell merchandise'

Boba hardly being in the later episodes. The fight with Cad Bane. Grogu and Mandalorian saving the day.

Some great visuals and great to see Boba's twilight years getting fleshed out.
                            "What goes around comes back around my baby"

Comment

There were rumours previously about a five episode mini series for Boba, so I’m guessing they just padded out the season a bit with Mando and Grogu - and I’m really not complaining.

On a practical level, I guess it helps bridge the gap between The Mandalorian season two and three, which probably has a much larger gap between seasons because of the pandemic - season three is expected towards the end of this year, meaning it’ll have been two years since season two debuted.

On a storyline level, it helps keep these shows all interlinked and essential viewing. I don’t think they are supposed to be viewed as separate shows, but individual stories in a shared universe, exploring a connected storyline that’s building towards a big Thrawn climax.

You could argue that individual shows is not the best way to tell the overall story, which is a fair critique. There’s an argument that it might have been better explored in a similar way to Game of Thrones, which told isolated stories about isolated characters starring in one overarching plot.

But so far I like Disney+ approach. I do feel like they need to tone down the cameos going forward otherwise we’ll just spend every episode waiting for one*, but I’m genuinely excited about the future of Star Wars.

* I’m already wondering who will cameo in Obi-Wan’s show. We will 100% see Luke and I’d be really surprised if we didn’t see Yoda and Qui-Gon.

Comment

This looks so good. May is forever away.

Comment

Just watched the first 2 episodes of Obi-Wan Kenobi and enjoyed them. It might not be as oustanding as 'The Mandalorian' or 'Bobba Fett' and little Leia is a bit annoying but it's still solid entertainment.

Comment

You’re kinder than me - Leia’s a brat

Comment

Okay so I grew to like Leila, and the series - though it was a chore in places. It definitely feels like a movie split into episodes, so I hope Disney do a movie cut at some point - I think combined (with some tighter editing) it would come to about three hours, which seems feasible. I’m sure there’s fans working on edits anyway.

The final episode was great though. The nods to nostalgia are big and earned and worth it. I love how the show bridged the gap between the end of Epiosde III (a broken, defeated, grieving war hero) and Episode IV (a fun, relaxed, easy going desert eccentric).

Comment

I think Leia was one of the highlights of this show tbh. I don’t know why anyone would find het annoying. She basically plays the character as carrie Fischer. It’s perfect.

The show had some brilliant moments, but I preferred the mandalorian and Bobba Fett over this… as said perfectly it more felt like a movie. There were some great moments, but I have had a lot of issues plotwise with this show. Their were some decisions that did not made a lot of sense to me. Star Wars always has this issue a bit, at least the movies. Less in the mandalorian and bobba. But now it was too many times in the row that I was like… euh… the final episode was good though, but they wrapped up that Reba story in a very messy way. She was just a means to get to obi-wan back to tattooine. Sad, she deserved more. Also, why didn’t obi-wan kill darth vader then? I mean his guilt was resolved by Anakin himself, then just kill him. They could have written it in a way that dark Vader made narrow mistake. It doesn’t make any sense obi-wan didn’t kill him then and now. Same with the Vader’s fleet deciding to follow obi-wan… so they follow him and he uses his little small ship to get to him. So why did the big ship not keep on following the path? Just because the path has to survive for the rebellion. It’s really poor story telling. The episode before with Vader forcing the ship down, they never had two huge ships so it doesn’t make any sense what happened. That second ship wasn’t there. Also it’s unclear why Reba went to luke… was it to take revenge on Vader or obi-wan? No clue. How did obi-wan get to aldoron. Isn’t it a city under empires reign? I mean you would think the empire is a bit more strict. Same with how Leia en obi escaped in that transport one of the episodes. As if they can’t stop it, or already set people in place on the place they will land.

I respect Deborah and what she did, but the poor plot devices to get people to places was really poor, and made it the weakest Star Wars show thus far for me. That being said, there was so much nostalgia and so many good moments so you can not call it a bad show, but I am somewhat disappointed!
                                        Last edited by Michiel; Thu June 23, 2022, 20:01.
                                        Eudaimonia
                                        Last.fm
                                        Instagram

Comment

Most of the answers are in the episodes. Obi-Wan could never kill Anakin, but at a push I guess you could believe Obi-Wan thought Vader might have been about to die with the drama he to his machinery.

As for following Obi-Wan instead of the ‘rebels’, that was entirely Vader’s call. Plus at this point in the story there wasn’t really an all out rebellion - the ‘rebels’ in this story are helping Jedi/force sensitive rather than open warfare against the Empire.

Reba went to kill Luke because she wanted revenge - but she was unable to take it. Alderaan is part of the empire but why wouldn’t Obi-Wan be able to travel from planet to planet?

Comment

I disliked this, a lot and it’s sad.
                                            For starters, I’ve always thought Obi Wan as a character in 1,2,3 and the clone wars, was a bore (as much as i like Ewan as him funnily enough).

I had hoped this would be a story about Obi and his history (I hadn’t read spoilers). What we had was a Mandalorian S1 ultra lite edition. Essentially, Obi chasing a petulant child with characters popping up. We know the outcome, we know no one can die yet this was just essentially pointless. Even the addition of Reva was underwhelming as she ‘killed’ the GI (yet we know he comes back). The literal scene I loved was Vader pulling that ship down with the force.

I work very close with Disney and this (alongside the Bad Batch) was just a money grabber. Why is Disney so scared to give their characters something new? Spend a couple of episodes of Obi in exile away from the known universe, developing the force. Similar to how awesome I thought the Loth Wolves were for Kanan in Rebels and how they expanded Darth Maul greatly.

This was a ‘run’ ‘character we know’ ‘run’. I hope there’s no season two and I hope Ahsoka is something bloody new.
                                            "What goes around comes back around my baby"

Comment

I am an Star Wars movie lover, even though it wasn't available in Canada so I got myself a US Netflix in Canada just to watch this amazing movie series and it was worth the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by aaliyahman View Post
                                                I disliked this, a lot and it’s sad.
                                                For starters, I’ve always thought Obi Wan as a character in 1,2,3 and the clone wars, was a bore (as much as i like Ewan as him funnily enough).

I had hoped this would be a story about Obi and his history (I hadn’t read spoilers). What we had was a Mandalorian S1 ultra lite edition. Essentially, Obi chasing a petulant child with characters popping up. We know the outcome, we know no one can die yet this was just essentially pointless. Even the addition of Reva was underwhelming as she ‘killed’ the GI (yet we know he comes back). The literal scene I loved was Vader pulling that ship down with the force.

I work very close with Disney and this (alongside the Bad Batch) was just a money grabber. Why is Disney so scared to give their characters something new? Spend a couple of episodes of Obi in exile away from the known universe, developing the force. Similar to how awesome I thought the Loth Wolves were for Kanan in Rebels and how they expanded Darth Maul greatly.

This was a ‘run’ ‘character we know’ ‘run’. I hope there’s no season two and I hope Ahsoka is something bloody new.
                                                Few odd comments here.

Firstly, the show was always announced as a sequel to Episode III, and whilst it’s lacking in action and consequence, it does tell the story how a defeated war general overcomes his PTSD and finds meaning in his life again. Across the six episodes we watch him come back to life.

Yes, there’s a whole load of stories they could have told to get Obi from A to B, but I agree with the show that the only thing that would have got Obi to leave Tatooine and to leave Luke would have been Leia - and he almost didn’t even do that. Personally I think it was a great idea making Obi face his past in order to face his future - and if there is a series two, he’ll be off learning his force training with Qui-Gon.

But Obi-Wan is the best thing they got right in the prequel trilogy. Ewan’s casting was genius and it still pays off twenty odd years later. Star Wars fans have wanted to see Ewan return for years so I disagree with it being a money grabber.

Lucasfilm weren’t even planning on it either until they saw Ewan give an interview saying he would return to Star Wars. The Bad Batch is a Clone Wars spin off, and the fan demand for more Clone Wars was big enough for Disney to revive a series they didn’t create and finish off the actual story (Clone Wars Series 7).

The Bad Batch is pretty rubbish though but it introduces Omega, who should be grown up in the same time period as The Mandalorian, which is the starting point for a shared universe on Disney.

Personally I think it’s all really exciting. Star Wars on Disney is heading into some really exciting places. We’ve got a collection of characters from every Star Wars era working together (across a number of shows) to fill in some gaps between the original trilogy and the sequel trilogy (including Luke in his prime) - that is clearly going to end in a crossover series about Thrawn.

Comment

Originally posted by Artoo View Post
                                                  Most of the answers are in the episodes. Obi-Wan could never kill Anakin, but at a push I guess you could believe Obi-Wan thought Vader might have been about to die with the drama he to his machinery.

As for following Obi-Wan instead of the ‘rebels’, that was entirely Vader’s call. Plus at this point in the story there wasn’t really an all out rebellion - the ‘rebels’ in this story are helping Jedi/force sensitive rather than open warfare against the Empire.

Reba went to kill Luke because she wanted revenge - but she was unable to take it. Alderaan is part of the empire but why wouldn’t Obi-Wan be able to travel from planet to planet?
                                                  On the last one. He is like the most wanted person in the galaxy. Yes, we could say they stopped looking from them. But that doesn’t mean he can just planet hop everywhere. There is a reason why he stayed om tattooine and in the outer rim before new hope. He says himself we have to be careful. Planet hopping and openly talking with a senator doesn’t seem very careful to me.

Reba wanted revenge for what? Tell me the specific goal cause it is not in the episode. Did she know Luke is Vader’s son? Or did she want to revenge obi-wan after he seduced her in the fight w Vader? Both could be possible. That she didn’t kill the kid had to do with her own past that I know.

sorry, that is still no reason why he didn’t kill him. The only reason is that Vader is still alive in the movies. But that’s mot really a reason for a character who doesn’t know the future. His guilt was restored and he used to be a general I mean… come on. I know obi-wan has this defensive fight thing going but that’s still no reason to not end it there in them. Assuming he would die is stupid, especially since he is a sith who can survive on revenge. I’m pretty sure obi-wan is aware of that.

Yeah I get Vader’s call. But that’s makes him an imbicile since they had multiple aircrafts to pursue both goals. It doesn’t do justice to his character. And yes the path is not the rebellion, but their whole goal of this series was to capture force sensitive kids and the path was one of their main enemies.

I get why it happened like this, but scenario wise it’s not really strong sorry. They could have all written this in a better way. Make Vader escape last moment, make the path ship go in lightning speed the moment obi-wan goes out. Then Vader doesn’t come over as an idiot, it doesn’t do justice to his legend. The Reba ending was a poor plot device, even though her story was awesome they didn’t end it in a nice way for me. Let obi-wan use a phone instead of flying all free to Alderaan. What about those guards? They saw him and have individuality, what if one of them was secretly more supportive of the empire. He could just say it. Also Leia, a child’s senator, was abducted at the hands of the empire. And then she can just go back without any problem? Let’s ignore what happened.. there are too many open questions in this serie, due to poor scenario writing. They knew where they needed to go, but they didn’t do it seamless. Some things were forced for a plot device and that’s not good tv.

And the two ship thing still doesn’t make sense even after rewatching the episode. Where does it come from if the gate was closed? Or is it a babooshka ship?

Don’t get me wrong, I love what Disney is doing with Star Wars. It’s brilliant. But we knew the ending of this story and that’s fine, but they they wrote some scenarios in a very clumsy way. It made it seem that characters were doing stuff because of what happens in the future, rather than unique decisions on their own. I’m talking mainly about the Second part of the series, the first part was way better in this regard.
                                                  Last edited by Michiel; Fri June 24, 2022, 14:28.
                                                  Eudaimonia
                                                  Last.fm
                                                  Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                                  X