AJ and the Queen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJ and the Queen

AJ and the Queen follows "Ruby Red, a bigger-than-life but down-on-her-luck drag queen who travels across America from club to club in a rundown 1990ís R/V with her unlikely sidekick AJ, a recently orphaned, tough-talking, scrappy 10-year-old stowaway. As these two misfits, one tall, one small, travel from city to city, Rubyís message of love and acceptance winds up touching people and changing their lives for the better."

Anyone watching? I find it a surprisingly good watch. The reviews have been too harsh for this. It's very much inspired by 80's comedies, road trip movies, John Waters and camp/trash culture and it delivers on those fronts.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Not started yet but I really plan to watch it. Some parts of the trailer look funny, though I'm not sure about the overall storyline. I'm usually not a fan if a child actor is involved like that. But I give it a chance asap.

Comment

The acting is a bit questionable (Ru is doing Ru) but the kid actress is good. It's also great to see RuGirls. And they have a nice chemistry (Ru and the kid). The story isn't bad actually. And every episode has some kind of a point. Even if there's nothing big happening. For the most part it's a road movie type of a show and just about getting to know youself better. I like how lightweight and positively geared the show is.

Comment

Finished watching 3rd episode last night, it's okay. Not as entertaining as i expected though.
        Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

It’s OK for a light watch, the acting is pretty bad and you can tell the budget wasn’t great but it’s fun to spot the Queens. The kid is hideously annoying at first but gets a bit better as it goes on.
          THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

Comment

It started off very bad but got better. Ru is just being Ru when he goes into the work room.
            His 'in the past performances' have all been made pretty easy for him to do it.
            The kid is annoying and gets marginally better.
            The 'con bf' is probably the hottest guy I've ever seen (with a great azz).
            Episode 7 (with Latrice and Monique Heart is my favourite, it reminded me of an early 2000's movie like Honey.
            It was worth a watch but has been savaged by critics so I doubt it will get a season 2.
            "What goes around comes back around my baby"

Comment

^Reviews mean nothing to Netflix though. It's all about the viewership. If the RPDR viewers watch it, I think it's safe for another season.

Comment

This was kinda great and sorta awful at the same time. I loved seeing the RuGirls and the acting was okay, but the plot was ridiculous. I laughed a few times and wouldn't mind watching a second season.
                Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

I had to stop after watching it for like 20 minutes.
                  The actings are painful lol

Comment

This series is very entertaining and I especially love the Ruby Red/Hector thing going on.

I am currently on Episode 7 and it’s still interesting enough to make me keep wanting more. Ru is fabulously charming!
                    YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

Watched the trailer on Netflix and I'm very excited about this!
                      5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

I finished it last night. It got better as it went on. Yes it can be a bit cheesy and the acting isn't exactly Oscar worthy but all in all it was a brilliant show
                        Love you like a love song!

Comment

I’m working my way through this. Acting is terrible but I kinda do wanna finish it.

I love how Ru defo chose the hottest guy there was as his love interest lol
                          LJC--->>

Comment

We watched the first three episodes last night and I quite enjoyed it, it’s like a third fun, a third interesting and a third the stupid RpDR acting challenge farce.
                            1 Sofi Tukker |2 Ella Henderson |3 Aluna|4 pnau |5 SG Lewis

Comment

Finished watching this and I was pretty happy with it. I mean yeah, actibg, but this is a Ru show after all. Anyone going in expecting Meryl Streep kind of performance is getting a bit ahead of themselves. This is basically a sketch TV show in line with RPDR sketches. Better written (thank God) than those and better produced, but still the show doesn't try to shoot for any high marks when it comes to premium drama expectations.

John Waters influence is more than obvious, and those movies are also "badly" acted, but they have a cult status for a reason. I can see this gaining a nice following. I'd definitely be up for a rewatch.

I'm hoping this gets a second season. Hector is a great complex character and it would be interesting to see his development more. And Ruby and AJ had some fun adventures along the way.

Comment

As someone who only started with RPDR last year, I watched this expecting it to be painful.

What impressed me more than anything was how earnest it is. It's not a great show really but I found it compelling, at least.

RuPaul surprised me. Sure, he's playing both of his well-known personas, but he seemed a more competent actor than plenty of other celebrities who have done similar projects.

Some of the Drag Race alum did pretty good here too. Latrice and Ginger especially.

Not fussed either way what happens for the series but it's good to see a show focused so intensely on LGBT+ folk, disabled folk and people of colour.
                                Baaaaad relationship??
                                The lyric video for my new single TRIP THE ALARM here!

♬ Keen addictions, between afflictions, I guess I had it coming...

Comment

Is his friend blind in real life? I don't think the actor is. Which is a pet peeve. There are blind actors who would kill for a role like that.
                                  Love you like a love song!

Comment

The things that bother me are.... expecting to believe 59 year old RuPaul with 33 year old hot actor. And the possible repercussions of a 59 year old man who likes to dress up as a woman taking a 10 year old girl across the country in an RV.

Comment

Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post
                                      expecting to believe 59 year old RuPaul with 33 year old hot actor.
                                      Ageist much? Older people can be with younger people. It's not an uncommon thing. And he did go into the relationship to con Ruby to begin with...

Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post
                                      And the possible repercussions of a 59 year old man who likes to dress up as a woman taking a 10 year old girl across the country in an RV.
                                      The show does cover that in last few episodes though.

Comment

Im on episode 8, been enjoying it. I agree the little girl actress was very annoying in the beginning. I couldn't handle her screaming and yelling in the beginning.

Oh and I agree...Hector is delicious!

Comment

Finally started and watched the first episode yesterday. It was better than expected for sure. I actually enjoy most of the acting so far, because I expected even worse. I kinda lol'ed that there were already like ten RPDR queens in the first 5-7 minutes of the show, but they're quite solid (Mayhem, Valentina, Porkchop). Really enjoy Ru's friend, probably my favorite character so far. Ru is doing a great job. I'm a huge RPDR fan but only know Ru from that show, so it's nice to see Ru doing something more than just sitting behind a desk.

Comment

Lady Danger is hilarious

Little girl is annoying as hell.
                                            Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

I agree the girl was a bit much but I’m really warming to her as the episodes roll on, in fact I think her acting is better than most in this show. I loved the little girl who kept running around in her knickers and her Mum

Comment

I watched the first episode and it's sooooooo bad! The acting is absolutely awful and cringeworthy
                                                Haven't been early since '88

Comment

I'm glad to see Latrice though Monique was horrible.
                                                  Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                                                    I'm glad to see Latrice though Monique was horrible.
                                                    Kept her standard from RPDR.

Comment

Originally posted by beredy View Post
                                                      Kept her standard from RPDR.
                                                      One of the worst queens ever. That arrogance!
                                                      Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

No and no. Monique is awesome and I'm looking forward to see her episode. And I hope I won't get disappointed by her appearance

Comment

Monique shares the title with Silky for the most half assed queen to ever have been on RPDR. That female Gremlin makeup every time girl ... But at least she wasn't evil-ish as Silky.

Comment

Not here for the Monique slander. Yeah, her character in this is pretty bleh, but she had some great moments on RPDR and is one of my fave queens. She came with glitter and Jesus and she make it work...for a while.
                                                            Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

Working...
                                                            X