No announcement yet.

What Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knives Out is fantastic. One of my faves from last year.

Comment

• ^ Rewatched that recently, fantastic movie.

I also rewatched The Devil wears prada and Contagion this week.
      Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
      Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Contagion seems all too close to home now considering the state the world is in. Prada is a classic with three fantastic female performances, especially Blunt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartan View Post
          Contagion seems all too close to home now considering the state the world is in. Prada is a classic with three fantastic female performances, especially Blunt.
          Contagion is freaky with how much of that movie ended up happening. TDWP just never gets old, i have probably watched it five or six times !

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartan View Post
            Knives Out is fantastic. One of my faves from last year.
            Yeah i really enjoyed it as well!

Comment

• Supposed to be one of the best movies ever, but i thought it wasn't that good. Kane is an unsympathetic cold loveless character who just does whatever he wants.

Comment

• The only time I've watched it was when I was forced to at uni for my course. Great for it's time. Not so great now.
                Rolling back the rivers in time...

Comment

• I post film/TV reviews on my website once a month. Figured I'd share them here.

I'm a huge movie person so to me, there's always good things about a film, and I like to keep my social media presence positive, even if I'm critiquing.

Today, Malcolm & Marie (2021), Netflix

Originally posted by Rawiri James

It's hard to review Netflix's Malcolm & Marie without acknowledging the context of its production and release. Shot in a single location over a few short weeks, with bare minimum crews operating under strict Covid-era rules, Sam Levinson's romantic drama has been praised for its eerie zeitgeist energy - a bottle movie that most viewers took in under lockdown conditions.

It's also been criticised however for the perceived lack of focus in the screenplay and the seeming priority of style over substance. These same critiques, I'll point out, were not at all an issue when a similar story about a relationship breakdown was told by Noah Baumbach and starred Scarlett Johansson and Adam Driver. Pointedly, they were handed plaudit after plaudit.

So why the double standard? And is it maybe just a lacklustre film?

Sure, the fact it takes place over one night and in one house with only two characters gives the film a certain playwright aesthetic. It's gorgeous black-and-white lens gives Old Hollywood and cinema vérité vibes. But take away these elements and Malcolm & Marie is still a captivating watch, and for that, we have the talents of Zendaya (Euphoria) and John David Washington (Da 5 Bloods) to thank.

"You are by far the most excruciating, difficult, stubbornly obnoxious woman I've ever met in my entire life. I ******* love you," claims Washington's film director Malcolm to his recovering-addict-cum-aspiring-actress-girlfriend. Zendaya's Marie eye wanders. She can't believe it. She's only just finished making him mac 'n cheese, for God's sake.

It should have been a no-excuses good night amongst Hollywood's major players but while Malcolm's star ascends, Marie's reticence to play underappreciated muse announces itself. The true nature of their relationship and their individual motivations for love burst through the cracks in shiny, ugly ways.

In less capable hands, watching two beautiful people argue with each other for 100 minutes would be a merciless slog. With Zendaya and JDW infusing the title characters with urgency and reverence, it's a fascinating and worthwhile watch.

Available now on Netflix.
                  Last edited by Rawiri James; Thu April 15, 2021, 00:04.
                  Addict. Advocate. Author. Artist.
                  My journey of R&B, addiction and superheroes....
                  www.rawirijames.com
                  #LostBoy album and novel OUT NOW!

Comment

• Originally posted by Colbie View Post
                    Supposed to be one of the best movies ever, but i thought it wasn't that good. Kane is an unsympathetic cold loveless character who just does whatever he wants.
                    I think that was exactly the intention. His character has been analysed as being one of the first depictions of Narcissistic Personality Disorder in cinema.

Comment

• Finally checked out Promising Young Woman and I'm still sorting out my feelings on it. Carey Mulligan was tremendous and deserves all the praise. But it is very easy to see why the last act is so polarizing, it flatly refuses to give the audience what it's been trained to want. I'll be thinking about it for weeks
                      She's got a cute little voice but she doesn't really have any fans...none that can fight....

Comment

• I'm becoming obsessed with the documentaries on well known evil men.
                        Learning so much!
                        Diva!!!

Comment

• For those who haven't seen it yet, I definitely recommend....

Originally posted by RawiriJames.com
                          Co-written and directed with style and agency by Shaka King, Judas and the Black Messiah is one of the most compelling films of the year, and one whose historic story is only more relevant in the light of 2020's #BlackLivesMatter movement.

Lakeith Stanfield plays Bill O'Neal, a petty crim turned informant for the FBI. His assignment is to infiltrate the Black Panther Party and befriend its leader, Fred Hampton (played by Daniel Kaluuya), in the hopes of bringing down the party, which the FBI believes to be a terrorist group.

Hampton, a man who worked to provide equity and equality for black people through education and social initiatives, is routinely harassed and vilified by corrupt and racist police officers, while the media and brands him a terrorist simply for standing up against the racist institutions of the time.

Since premiering at Sundance 2021, Judas... has been rightly lauded by critics for all aspects of its filmmaking. It's nominated for six Academy Awards this month, including Best Picture, Best Original Screenplay and Best Supporting Actor for both Kaluuya and Stanfield - an interesting move on the Academy's behalf.

Beautifully shot, Judas and the Black Messiah crackles with energy from its first frame, and holds your attention through big moments and small. The script is tight and tense, with winning performances from top to bottom.

Kaluuya as Fred Hampton has received the lion's share of kudos (he's won the Golden Globe, BAFTA and SAG award already) and while he is phenomenal in affect and embodiment, Lakeith Stanfield equally brings astounding presence to the film as Bill: a tortured and beleaguered character who really acts as the audience's lead in.
                          Addict. Advocate. Author. Artist.
                          My journey of R&B, addiction and superheroes....
                          www.rawirijames.com
                          #LostBoy album and novel OUT NOW!

Comment

• This guy was pretty appalled at the fact that I hadn't seen this, so we watched it over the weekend. I actually found it rather meh.

UKMIX Favourite Artists of the Last 20 Years: [#1 - A queen is crowned!]
                            "Your Billboard Top Ten" Game: All-Time Top Scorers Countdown: [#3 revealed!]

Your heart is coloured with the love wrapped in the brilliant blue sky above, the breadth of the jewelled oceans, and the pure heat of the golden sun. And your heart is home to the cosmic creation that is you.

Comment

• The Deer Hunter 10/10

Comment

• Mortal Kombat.
                                Took itself too seriously and was awful. I love the cheesy older films and even the series Conquest. This film had no humour and just should have been on the SyFy Channel.
                                "What goes around comes back around my baby"

Comment

• Originally posted by aaliyahman View Post
                                  Mortal Kombat.
                                  Took itself too seriously and was awful. I love the cheesy older films and even the series Conquest. This film had no humour and just should have been on the SyFy Channel.
                                  Oh I absolutely loved it! I knew the story and acting itself would be atrocious, but the fight scenes were awesome, the little nods to the games were great and the pacing was spot on I felt. Hopefully they do another and are able to develop some of the characters a tad more, but yeah it was everything I expected it to be and I really enjoyed it.
                                  UKMix Best Debut Single - Countdown

Comment

• Nooo, I think it may have to do with me starting the series with MK2 and so Sonya Blade and Kano are just characters I didn't even know/like.Until I got older.
                                    I was expecting to see Kitana (my favourite) and I do hope they get to do a sequel so we can see her and Sindel.
                                    "What goes around comes back around my baby"

Comment

• Just watched this last night and it was pretty damn good.

Your heart is coloured with the love wrapped in the brilliant blue sky above, the breadth of the jewelled oceans, and the pure heat of the golden sun. And your heart is home to the cosmic creation that is you.

Comment

• Frozen, the Disney animated feature. It was cute
                                        She's got a cute little voice but she doesn't really have any fans...none that can fight....

Comment

• Originally posted by NormiMalone View Post
                                          Frozen, the Disney animated feature. It was cute
                                          It's one of my favourite films of all-time! The music is epic.

Comment

• Saw this at the cinema last week:

Far-fetched but a pretty fun ride! Nicholas Hoult and Aiden Gillan played good parts.

Comment

• Just finished Riders of Justice (Retfærdighedens Ryttere) with Mads Mikkelsen
                                              Awesome movie

Comment

• I saw Dream Horse yesterday at the cinema.
                                                Toni Collette (Queen of accents) dons a Welsh accent as a woman who collars her small town to form a syndicate to raise a race horse. Based off a true story and is heartwarming and entertaining.

Comment

• Originally posted by NormiMalone View Post
                                                  Finally checked out Promising Young Woman and I'm still sorting out my feelings on it. Carey Mulligan was tremendous and deserves all the praise. But it is very easy to see why the last act is so polarizing, it flatly refuses to give the audience what it's been trained to want. I'll be thinking about it for weeks
                                                  Just watched it and it devasted me. I actually had plans to go out tonight after so many months but now I can forget it...
                                                  BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
                                                  98 - OUT

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post

Just watched it and it devasted me. I actually had plans to go out tonight after so many months but now I can forget it...
                                                    Oh I have never watched that. Would you recommend ?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X