Top Of The Pops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Radio Times:

"Fearne Cotton and Reggie Yates present performances by Robbie Williams, Emeli Sande, Jay-Z, Rita Ora, Carly Rae Jepsen, Paloma Faith, Florence and the Machine and Conor Maynard. Plus, Rudimental, Sam and the Womp! and Wiley showcase their hits of the summer and Girls Aloud celebrate 10 years in showbusiness. There is also an appearance by the latest X Factor winner and exclusive footage of Coldplay performing their smash hit Paradise, before the duo reveal which song is this year's Christmas number one."
    I hope Emeli doesn't do "RAAI", soooo sick of it. Jay-Z? Take it that won't be live in the studio! Wiley

Comment

• Both of tonight's double-bill had one song chopped out (the latter edit was particularly obvious) - possibly just to allow for countless Christmas promos before, between and after. There was certainly no need for both cuts, as the second programme finished at about three minutes to nine!

8-12-77: Presenter: Tony Blackburn

(16) DONNA SUMMER – Love’s Unkind (and charts)
      (NEW) GENERATION X – Wild Youth
      (12) HOT CHOCOLATE – Put Your Love In Me
      (22) CHIC – Dance Dance Dance (Yowsah Yowsah Yowsah) (danced to by Legs & Co)
      (NEW) MANFRED MANN’S EARTH BAND – California
      (19) BONNIE TYLER – It’s A Heartache
      (3) THE BEE GEES – How Deep Is Your Love (video)
      (NEW) GRAHAM PARKER & THE RUMOUR – New York Shuffle
      (25) BING CROSBY – White Christmas (video)
      (NEW) THE BANNED – Little Girl
      (1) WINGS – Mull Of Kintyre (video)
      (10) BONEY M – Belfast (and credits)

15-12-77: Presenter: Elton John

(25) DONNA SUMMER – I Love You (and charts)
      (9) THE DOOLEYS – Love Of My Life
      (5) JONATHAN RICHMAN & THE MODERN LOVERS – Egyptian Reggae (danced to by Legs & Co)
      (30) CARL DOUGLAS – Run Back
      (29) DOOLEY WILSON – As Time Goes By (video)
      (26) JULIE COVINGTON – Only Women Bleed (video)
      (6) DARTS – Daddy Cool/The Girl Can’t Help It
      (19) ELVIS PRESLEY – My Way (danced to by Legs & Co)
      (27) JOHN OTWAY & WILD WILLY BARRETT – Really Free
      (NEW) THE EMOTIONS – I Don’t Wanna Lose Your Love
      (2) BRIGHOUSE & RASTRICK BRASS BAND – The Floral Dance (and credits)

I fell asleep during Bonnie Tyler and woke up during Graham Parker, but checked from the "replay" on I-player than the Bee Gees song in between was indeed present, even though the two highlighted ones weren't. It remains to be seen if the programmes are any more complete at 2.00 tonight / this morning.....

Counting down this week - the UKMixParade Top 200 of 2019

Comment

• Both songs that were cut are from the same year, 1942. Unbelievable to think that both songs were from 35 years prior to this edition of TOTP and this edition of TOTP is from 35 years ago.

'As Time Goes By' famously lacks a verse, the song was recorded during a US musicians union strike which prevented songs from being recorded unless they were featured in a film. As only the chorus of 'As Time Goes By' was featured in Casablanca that was all that could be recorded. Dooley Wilson is seen playing a piano throughout the film but as he'd never played the piano before, his music was played by a studio musician.

Humphrey Bogart has a strange claim to fame, dialogue from two of his films were featured on two songs that peaked at number 15 in the singles chart, the first being 'As Time Goes By' in 1977 from "Casablanca" and the second being 'Paid In Full' by Eric B and Rakim from 1987, the second featuring dialogue from his 1946 film "The Big Sleep".

Comment

• They're cut because of rights issues, apparently. Both are film clips, not videos.

The Emotions' hit was later used in Primal Scream's Loaded.
          Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

• You would think the film clips wouldn't be too expensive for the BBC to pay seeing they are that old :-? They could have just blanked the screen and played the sound too!

Bing was making it big because he had just popped his clogs that year. I believe while playing Golf!!

There were too records I detested on these shows at the time. Julie's record and the Really Free. Both of which I thought crap! And in the case of Really Free still is :x

Did they mention that Paul McCartney was the best selling single yet?
            The Real Chart clocked it at 2.008 million at the end of the year

There's a JS one after these two that won't be shown and the Christmas edition which is being aired.
            And that's it for 1977
            Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham76man
              You would think the film clips wouldn't be too expensive for the BBC to pay seeing they are that old :-? They could have just blanked the screen and played the sound too!
              If they're continuing with 1978, I hope they can afford to pay for the clips from "Grease" which appeared in eighteen editions, mostly when one of the duets was occupying the number one position.....

Comment

• I missed it. Any good?
                Ste's Personal Chart 2020

Comment

• Yeah it was, much better than last year's anyway! Great mix of music, the line-up was:

Robbie Williams - Candy
                  Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe
                  Conor Maynard - Turn Around
                  Paloma Faith - Never Tear Us Apart
                  Sam And The Womp - Bom Bom
                  Florence + The Machine - Spectrum [original version]
                  Psy - Gangnam Style [short video with audience members dancing in the middle]
                  Rita Ora - How We Do (Party)
                  Rudimental - Feel The Love (ft. John Newman)
                  Gabrielle Aplin - The Power Of Love
                  Girls Aloud - Beautiful 'Cause You Love Me
                  Emeli Sandι - Next To Me
                  James Arthur - Impossible
                  The Justice Collective - He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother [video, cut the last minute off]

Might have missed someone... but Rita Ora was terrible anyway, I've yet to see a good live performance from her yet! My favourites were Carly Rae Jepsen, Sam And The Womp, Rudimental and Girls Aloud.

Comment

• I wouldn't have found as much to like in that 2012 edition as I did in the unseen-since-1977 one that aired twice yesterday evening, and again tonight, on BBC FOUR:

25-12-77: Presenters: Noel Edmonds and Kid Jensen

SHOWADDYWADDY – You Got What It Takes
                    DENIECE WILLIAMS – Free
                    BRIGHOUSE & RASTRICK BRASS BAND – The Floral Dance
                    EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER – Fanfare For The Common Man (danced to by Legs & Co)
                    LEO SAYER – When I Need You
                    MANHATTAN TRANSFER – Chanson D’Amour (video)
                    HOT CHOCOLATE – So You Win Again
                    DAVID SOUL – Don’t Give Up On Us (video)
                    ABBA – Knowing Me Knowing You (video)
                    SPACE – Magic Fly (video)
                    JOHNNY MATHIS – When A Child Is Born (Soleado) (video)
                    STEVIE WONDER – Sir Duke (danced to by Legs & Co as reindeers, plus Floyd)
                    KENNY ROGERS – Lucille
                    BACCARA – Yes Sir I Can Boogie
                    WINGS – Mull Of Kintyre (video)
                    BING CROSBY – White Christmas (and credits)

As all the acts featured in the opening credits turned up in the same order, I don't think anything was cut. It should available on the I-player for the rest of the week.

Comment

• Average of 3.88m watched, same as last year.

Comment

• It was a terrible episode.

Comment

• Cut a minute off TJC?? Not on the catch-up version they didn't.

It was the usual averageness. Random non-hit from Girls Aloud - which was OK but wasn't it meant to be hits of the year not promo for a current single?

Aside from Sam ATW and Aplin there was nothing we haven't seen elsewhere.
                          Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Blondini
                            Cut a minute off TJC?? Not on the catch-up version they didn't.

It was the usual averageness. Random non-hit from Girls Aloud - which was OK but wasn't it meant to be hits of the year not promo for a current single?

Aside from Sam ATW and Aplin there was nothing we haven't seen elsewhere.
                            I saw the X-mass day one (live) and I didn't see any cut on the TJC. It even had a quick flash of the 96 names! Thriller must have had to much wine by that point!
                            As far as I can tell it didn't make a lot of differance to I-Tunes buyers the Girls Aloud promotion of a new track, as even now it's not in the I-Tunes 100.
                            It looked to me as if James Arthur was miming! As it was too like the single and no ad-libs such as "thank you" or "Merry X-Mass" from him.

Comment

• It cut off a good chunk, just after Paul McCartney and Shane MacGowan and right before the final "he's my brotherrrr" lines. We didn't see any of the football pundits/John Bishop etc. They just edited the names in early!

James wasn't miming, I heard him on the radio the day after he'd recorded it and he said he wasn't happy with the performance cos he thought he sang badly as his voice was shot from so much X Factor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller
                                ...he said he wasn't happy...
                                James Arthur's never happy. He might be a good singer, but he looks like a miserable sod
                                That's why that songs suits him!
                                It's a miserable song too!!!

Comment

• I meant to post this yesterday but forgot.

It's on to 1978 as tonight (on Friday) BBC4 are showing:

9.00pm: Top of the Pops: The Story of 1978

In 1978, despite the biggest-selling singles coming from the likes of Boney M and Rod Stewart, Top of the Pops turned the credibility corner and showed punk and new wave bands.

9.50pm: Top of the Pops: 1978 - Big Hits

Top of the Pops performances from 1978, including Sham 69, Ian Dury, Elvis Costello, Blondie, Boomtown Rats, Kate Bush, Dan Hill, Boney M, Bob Marley, 10cc, ELO and Manfred Mann.

Comment

• Watched them both!
                                    I'm a bit sick of all this stuff about the "kids" music wasn't getting on TOTP as though punk was the only thing that young people bought. Speaking as someone who WAS buying records - punk was the last thing I bought during 1978. In fact only a few weird kids were really into it and middle class students who would do it to upset their parents for attention and some rich kids who had nothing better to do with their money. There was one shop in Sheffield that sold punk clothes and that was in Ecclesall Road, the posh end of town! That says a lot!!!
                                    I bet many more of them had Boney M records or even the Smurfs then Sham 69 and the Skids!
                                    If you ask me that's why the things are so expensive to buy on E-Bay now. Loads of former kids who WISHED they bought the Buzzcocks but instead have Terry Wogan in the collection.

I wished that show had been on the other day
                                    :-? For I was trying to get several Boomtown Rats videos in sync and Bob Geldof kept going out all the time and then coming back in :-? Then a band mate on the show said about the miming that Bob would deliberately on purpose go out of sync
                                    Well I can tell he also did it on the music videos they made! Thanks a lot BOB :x

PS caption on the second show says Bob Marley went to Number One! Well it went to 21 (OCC chart).

Comment

• The inaccuracies are infuriating! TOTP did not "gradually allow" more punks/ new wavers on the show. We've all seen the 76/77 shows - where they "allowed" The Saints, Eddie and The Hotrods, Generation X (none of them even breaking the top 30 so it was hardly grudging forced inclusion), The Jam, The Stranglers, The Boomtown Rats.

The reason more of these acts were on was simply because the scene crossed over naturally into the mainstream - just like Britpop and House music (due in large part to genre-busters like Blondie and The Police). TOTP simply played what was in the charts - the only punk thing they "disallowed" was God Save The Queen (and Peaches but they opted to play the "b-side").

And that snobby 40-something woman moaning about "my music". I agree with a lot of her tastes but we all know that the Christmas edition was the very biggest hits of that year. The Buzzcocks and Undertones did not have GIANT hits to get on the show. Blondie, The Police, Rats DID. Simple as that - don't blame the show, blame yourselves for not buying them!!
                                      This is why it looks so bloody stupid now when you see The Vaccines and The Maccabees on the Christmas TOTP! They do it as a token gesture for variety, but it's ridiculous.

And saying Cilla, Lulu and Dusty had hits this year!! Er, no, they were on as Breakers but none of them made the published top 50.

I liked the Skids/ Richard Jobson and Squeeze/ Chris Difford interviews.

And Debbie looking awesome on Picture This (second show). I have it on DVD.

Doesn't Yvonne Elliman look like Kimberley Walsh after a good hard ****?

Comment

And that snobby 40-something woman moaning about "my music". I agree with a lot of her tastes but we all know that the Christmas edition was the very biggest hits of that year. The Buzzcocks and Undertones did not have GIANT hits to get on the show. Blondie, The Police, Rats DID.
                                        In addition to that I believe a strike at the BBC knocked out one of the two planned Christmas shows. Perhaps something she did approve of would have been on the other show.

Comment

• New episode tonight, but no late night repeat.
                                          Just done a quick count of the will be missing episodes IE:JS presented, of which there are only 6. However if the DLT are missing too (have they sorted him out yet?) then you can add 8 more to that total.

Comment

• Well, against all the odds, we've reached the first "Top Of The Pops" of 1978 on BBC FOUR tonight - although it seems clear that at least six still-existing editions will not be considered suitable for re-broadcast.....ever!......for reasons already well-documented here and elsewhere, primarily related to the new theory that, as long as enough people suddenly come forward to make similar claims about events of many, many years ago, it can just be assumed that most of them are correct.

5-1-78: Presenter: Peter Powell

(22) ODYSSEY – Native New Yorker (and charts)
                                            (NEW) EDDIE & THE HOTRODS – Quit This Town
                                            (19) JULIE COVINGTON – Only Women Bleed (video)
                                            (NEW) LONG TALL ERNIE & THE SHAKERS – Do You Remember
                                            (13) DAVID SOUL – Let’s Have A Quiet Night In (danced to by Legs & Co)
                                            (NEW) THE BABYS – Isn’t It Time
                                            (28) TERRY WOGAN – The Floral Dance
                                            (NEW) TONIGHT - Drummer Man
                                            (23) BOB MARLEY & THE WAILERS – Jamming (video)
                                            (NEW) BROTHERHOOD OF MAN – Figaro
                                            (2) ALTHEA AND DONNA - Uptown Top Ranking

This week was just a few months too early for me to be familiar with the new releases featured - apart, of course, from "Figaro" - which was the only one of them that would go on to reach the top ten in later weeks.....

I'm not sure that I've ever endured such a full-length version of Terry Wogan's interpretation of "The Floral Dance" before - but I've certainly no desire to experience it again any time soon!

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham76man
                                              New episode tonight, but no late night repeat.
                                              Just done a quick count of the will be missing episodes IE:JS presented, of which there are only 6. However if the DLT are missing too (have they sorted him out yet?) then you can add 8 more to that total.
                                              Strange - that post didn't seem to be there as I prepared mine, but it apparently arrived almost an hour ago!

Yes, those numbers look correct to me. Oddly, the first Jimmy Savile edition wasn't till April - so it'll be a while until we see whether they'll just go really late-night, have all of his links removed, or just disappear entirely. However, the first DLT one of 1978 is the second of the year! I haven't seen the programme guides for next week yet - the weather here is too bad for me to venture out - but, as nothing seems to have been resolved yet about the allegations made against him, perhaps for now they will move on to the Kid Jensen-hosted edition of the week after.

Comment

• Powell's prediction that the Babys would be big, like most of the presenter predictions turned out false. The Single stalled at 45 on the BMRB chart! It's a record that has not traveled in time popularity wise and perhaps explains why it did flop.

Terry wogan :x Yes but his stint on Radio two fighting the flab made him very popular. He could also break records and he had done so in 1976. The Floral Dance was also released that year, by the Brass Band, but wasn't a hit. Still available Wogan got behind it on his radio show and made it a hit. Why he then went on to record it himself is a bit of a mystery to me. But I take comfort in knowing my local Radio station Radio Hallam DJ Mike Rouse BLEW IT UP. Well he used to play the record then put the sound of an explosion over it! Still got the recording of the explosion he used. It's the only record though I remember him blowing up though he did several. By the way the records chosen were by the listeners, I seem to recall the got a lot of request for that to be blown up!

Legs and co tonight!!!!! SEXY

Comment

• Info from TOTP Fax Twitter page:

Wogan ad-libbed the vocals over the tune on radio and his listeners loved it so much they demanded it be recorded and released.

The Babys were a UK band but only had a huge hit in US (#13) - however singer John Waite had a transatlantic smash with Missing You in 84. This was the only half-decent thing on a dreadful show (Marley repeat notwithstanding).

The next show will be the 26th Jan edition (the 12th one was cancelled as there was a BBC strike, the 19th one has DLT on it).

Comment

The next show will be the 26th Jan edition (the 12th one was cancelled as there was a BBC strike, the 19th one has DLT on it).
                                                    Yes indeed....finishing at the moment, repeated again later tonight and on Saturday night:

26-1-78: Presenter: David Jensen

(3) DONNA SUMMER – Love’s Unkind (and charts)
                                                    (29) RICH KIDS – Rich Kids
                                                    (2) ALTHIA & DONNA – Uptown Top Ranking
                                                    (30) GORDON GILTRAP – Heartsong
                                                    (8) BILL WITHERS – Lovely Day (danced to by Legs & Co)
                                                    (21) TERRY WOGAN – The Floral Dance
                                                    (11) BOB MARLEY & THE WAILERS – Jamming (video)
                                                    (NEW) YELLOW DOG – Just One More Night
                                                    (22) BACCARA – Sorry I’m A Lady
                                                    (NEW) GALLAGHER & LYLE – Showdown
                                                    (16) T-CONNECTION – On Fire (and credits)

A variation of that Gordon Giltrap track would probably already have been familiar to many viewers as the theme from a television series about holidays?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X