• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonight, and Saturday:

9-3-78: Presenter: Tony Blackburn

(11) FREE – All Right Now (and charts)
    (49) GENERATION X – Ready Steady Go
    (22) ELKIE BROOKS – Lilac Wine
    (27) HOT CHOCOLATE – Every 1’s A Winner (video)
    (43) TINA CHARLES – I’ll Go Where Your Music Takes Me
    (18) BRIAN & MICHAEL – Matchstalk Men And Matchstalk Cats And Dogs
    (5) BLONDIE – Denis (video)
    (21) ANDY CAMERON – Ally’s Tartan Army
    (7) ERUPTION – I Can’t Stand The Rain (danced to by Legs & Co)
    (38) THE JAM – News Of The World
    (1) KATE BUSH – Wuthering Heights
    (24) NOTTINGHAM FOREST & PAPER LACE – We’ve Got The Whole World In Our Hands (and credits)

It was revealed later - as if it wasn't already obvious, even from their minimal involvement here - that, partly
    due to age restrictions, the performance of the future number one by Brian and Michael featured a stand-in
    choir with Equity cards, probably for acting rather than singing !

Someone seemed to be yelling out "SCOTLAND" at far too high a volume throughout the Andy Cameron
    performance - the song is much better on the record, one of five (almost all consecutive) that I bought that
    were included in this show. Googling led to a "popular" suggestion ANDY CAMERON HEART ATTACK - but
    apparently someone similarly well-known of the same name died following one about a year ago, and the
    entertainer / one-hit wonder is still alive, now 72, and an after-dinner speaker / mainly retired.

Tony Blackburn seemed to be tipping the Tina Charles release for rather greater things - but it ground to a
    halt at number 27 . . . . .
    Counting down this week - the UKMixParade Top 200 of 2020

Comment

• The actual choir on Matchstalk was St Winifred's - yes, them!
      Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

• An enjoyable TOTP tonight, despite the football songs! My favourite is 'Lilac Wine' by Elkie Brooks, a brilliant song.

Two former chart topping bands were featured as backing bands tonight - Paper Lace (Nottingham Forest) and Pilot (Kate Bush). One backing band was featured on the better song...

Comment

• Generation X were singing about the rival show to Top of The Pops that was on ITV, during the 60's. It was very much aimed at the Mod movement which at that time in 78-79 was being revived. Cathy was the presenter who the singer was in love with. The record went down a place on the BMRB chart following that performance!

Island records released a number of EP's around this time. Free being the first one. Chart books tend to list only that track rather than the title of the EP which was the Free EP. Traffic Hole In My Shoe was also issued at this time as another of the EPs.

My mum claimed that when she heard the Hot Chocolate track that she would win at the Bingo! But she did go a lot

I wonder if Andy Cameron went to number one in Scotland?
          Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!

Comment

• ^
            Cheers Graham for explaining why Free were back in the charts in 1978, someone at the TOTP thread at Digital Spy asked why they were back in the charts in 1978 and no-one knew the answer. I didn't know Island were issuing EPs by their old acts at the time.

As for Andy Cameron: I'd imagine it was a number 1 in Scotland!

Comment

• Originally posted by Robbie
              I'm sure too that it would have been, had a Scotland-only chart been compiled and/or broadcast in 1978 ? There was definitely a separate chart show on BBC Radio Scotland in the early 1980s - I tuned in for their 90-minute top 40 virtually every Friday late-night from when I first discovered it in late 1980, until at least early 1983, and noted down the chart positions. This period included the next World Cup - and while the Scottish song "We Have A Dream" moved 24-13-05-06-13-18-36 in the UK Top 40, its run in the Scottish chart was 01-01-01-01-01-01-02 (then followed by -06-09-27-out) !

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham76man
                Island records released a number of EP's around this time. Free being the first one. Chart books tend to list only that track rather than the title of the EP which was the Free EP. Traffic Hole In My Shoe was also issued at this time as another of the EPs.
                My Guinness and Virgin books both list the Free EP - the Guinness one lists the tracks - All Right Now is a "long version".
                The EP charted again in 1982, peaking at 56. All Right Now charted again on its own in 1991 (#8), having already charted in 1970 (#2) and 1973 (#15)!
                Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

• Great episode!
                  My tits are made of silicone, just like the Earth and sea...

Comment

• Originally posted by CZB
                    Originally posted by Robbie
                    I'm sure too that it would have been, had a Scotland-only chart been compiled and/or broadcast in 1978 ? There was definitely a separate chart show on BBC Radio Scotland in the early 1980s - I tuned in for their 90-minute top 40 virtually every Friday late-night from when I first discovered it in late 1980, until at least early 1983, and noted down the chart positions. This period included the next World Cup - and while the Scottish song "We Have A Dream" moved 24-13-05-06-13-18-36 in the UK Top 40, its run in the Scottish chart was 01-01-01-01-01-01-02 (then followed by -06-09-27-out) !
                    Yes I tuned into that too. Being miles away from Scotland I was lucky to pick it up, it was on the AM band and prone to drifting off-tune! I believe it was on late Friday night. It used Tangerine Dream as the theme music! I remember that track being number one too. It was still top when it had dropped out of the official chart, which at the time I thought was odd! But it wasn't just Scottish acts that did better there. Frida - I know there's something going on was in the top ten I think. Generally it seemed faster and better than the Official UK chart.

Comment

a separate chart show on BBC Radio Scotland . . . . .
                      I believe it was on late Friday night. It used Tangerine Dream as the theme music!
                      I'm almost certain it was 10.30pm to midnight, Fridays . . . . . do you by any chance know which Tangerine
                      Dream track it was ? I'd be interested to track it down, but there seem to be dozens of possibilities !

Back to TOTP - and tonight, several lower-ranking hits, but almost all of them would go on to make
                      reasonable advances on their current position - even the dubiously-named Vibrators. But an
                      entirely different song with the same title as theirs is soon to be a much bigger success . . . . .

16-3-78: Presenter: Peter Powell

(29) THE REAL THING – Whenever You Want My Love (and charts)
                      (42) SUZI QUATRO – If You Can’t Give Me Love
                      (6) GERRY RAFFERTY – Baker Street (video)
                      (11) BOB MARLEY & THE WAILERS – Is This Love (danced to by Legs & Co)
                      (37) DAN HILL – Sometimes When We Touch
                      (14) EARTH, WIND & FIRE – Fantasy (video)
                      (31) ELVIS COSTELLO & THE ATTRACTIONS – (I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea
                      (26) MANHATTAN TRANSFER – Walk In Love
                      (49) THE VIBRATORS – Automatic Lover
                      (19) DONNA SUMMER – Rumour Has It (and credits)

Despite what Peter Powell said, I wouldn't have thought anyone would still have been wondering if Kate
                      Bush was still at number one - unless they missed the chart rundown at the beginning of the programme . . . . .

Comment

• Loved it again tonight!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by CZB
                          Originally posted by Graham76man
                          a separate chart show on BBC Radio Scotland . . . . .
                          I believe it was on late Friday night. It used Tangerine Dream as the theme music!
                          I'm almost certain it was 10.30pm to midnight, Fridays . . . . . do you by any chance know which Tangerine
                          Dream track it was ? I'd be interested to track it down, but there seem to be dozens of possibilities !

After a bit of searching on I-Tunes - not knowing the name of the track I struck gold with "Choronzon".

Youtube video of it
                          http://youtu.be/ALLy61XKdSM

Comment

• Gerry Rafferty Baker Street on Amazon downloads has shot up (as a direct result of TOTP) from 1,741 to 344!

Comment

After a bit of searching on I-Tunes - not knowing the name of the track I struck gold with "Choronzon".

Youtube video of it
                              http://youtu.be/ALLy61XKdSM
                              Many thanks for investigating . . . . . but I've listened, and I'm not at all convinced that this is the track I remembered !
                              It was, more specifically, the music used for the chart run-down that I was seeking - although I think this and the
                              opening theme were one and the same ? Unfortunately, I can only fairly clearly recall about seven notes of it now . . . . .
                              Although I'm a little further north than you, reception wasn't exactly crystal clear here either, and I recorded very little
                              from any of the shows I heard - indeed, perhaps the only time I did so was when I was name-checked among twenty-one
                              listeners who correctly predicted Scotland's top seller of 1981, with this music in the background ! Whether I can find the
                              right cassette now, over thirty-one years later, however, remains to be seen . . . . . I checked brief snippets of several other
                              Tangerine Dream tracks, and I felt that there were a few other possibles - but it may well be that there was more than
                              one track used, especially if you discovered the chart show earlier, or later, than I did.

Anyway . . . . . Andy Cameron, who first led to this diversion, is back in tonight's repeat, along with several others we also saw
                              last week, because another DLT-hosted edition from in between has been skipped as more charges are brought against him:

30-3-78: Presenter: David Jensen

(3) GERRY RAFFERTY – Baker Street (and charts)
                              (NEW) MUD – Cut Across Shorty
                              (28) TINA CHARLES – I’ll Go Where Your Music Takes Me
                              (17) ELVIS COSTELLO & THE ATTRACTIONS – (I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea
                              (49) RICHARD MYHILL – It Takes Two To Tango
                              (29) TAVARES – The Ghost Of Love (danced to by Legs & Co)
                              (26) DAN HILL – Sometimes When We Touch
                              (10) SUZI QUATRO – If You Can’t Give Me Love
                              (6) ANDY CAMERON – Ally’s Tartan Army
                              (NEW) DON WILLIAMS – I’ve Got A Winner In You
                              (9) BOB MARLEY & THE WAILERS – Is This Love (and credits)

The two non-chart picks this week were both destined to always remain so . . . . . the latter certainly not living up to
                              the subliminal message in its lyrics !

Comment

• The DLT hosted edition from 23/03/78 that was skipped this week has been uploaded in its entirety to vimeo.com (youtube and dailymotion apparently blocked it due to a rights issue over at least one of the tracks featured). The recording is taken from UK Gold from about the mid 90s, back in the days when it was a decent channel and used to show Top Of The Pops on a regular basis.

http://vimeo.com/62537656

Comment

• Originally posted by Robbie
                                  Thanks for that link - I've just watched this show again now too. The full line-up:

23-3-78: Presenter: Dave Lee Travis

(28) TINA CHARLES – I’ll Go Where Your Music Takes Me (and charts)
                                  (25) SHOWADDYWADDY – I Wonder Why
                                  (45) DAVID ESSEX – Stay With Me Baby
                                  (5) ERUPTION – I Can’t Stand The Rain (clip from "Musik Laden")
                                  (49) DR. HOOK – More Like The Movies
                                  (2) BLONDIE – Denis (video)
                                  (3) BRIAN & MICHAEL – Matchstalk Men And Matchstalk Cats And Dogs
                                  (19) DONNA SUMMER – Rumour Has It (danced to by Legs & Co)
                                  (22) GENESIS – Follow You Follow Me (video)
                                  (18) THE REAL THING – Whenever You Want My Love
                                  (14) HOT CHOCOLATE – Every 1’s A Winner (and credits)

The David Essex song didn't seem at all familiar to me . . . . . probably because it was, this week, at its chart peak !

DLT predicted that the Brian and Michael track could go on to climb from number three to number one - but, as
                                  could be seen from the chart countdown on BBC FOUR tonight, it would actually fall back to number four . . . . .

From the file marked "this really must have seemed like a good idea at the time", Legs & Co all seemed to be
                                  dressed up as "Coronation Street"'s Hilda Ogden for their "Rumour Has It" routine !

From next week, it looks as if we enter a lengthy period in which most editions of "Top of the Pops" were significantly
                                  longer than half an hour - so no doubt they will be edited down at 7.30pm, but hopefully air in full in the late night slots.

Comment

Gerry Rafferty Baker Street on Amazon downloads has shot up (as a direct result of TOTP) from 1,741 to 344!
                                    One of those is me! ;)

Comment

• Seems I was buying a stack of these records at that time!
                                      Eruption, Dr Hook, Brian & Michael ( gone mad there!) , Donna Summer, Genesis, Real Thing, Hot Chocolate.
                                      Richard Myhill, Tavares, Suzi Quatro.

Richard Myhill's record was the first "square" shaped disc you could buy. But not all were square hence it's first high sales. I couldn't get the square disc in Sheffield, so I suspect it must be rare now. It's still a great record
                                      The Tavares single is good, but runs to 5:40 so you only got a bit on TOTP!

I do remember the Mud track getting played on the radio, which is a first for these "so called" miss hits! But the Don Williams nope!

You can download the AVI of that missing TOTP, since it seems a bit jumpy on the link. Takes about 11 minutes though!!!

On the Scotland theme, it was that tune, but I know what you mean it doesn't sound right So I'm just wondering if so "disco" act did a version of it?

Comment

• Co-Co feature a pre-Bucks Fizz Cheryl Baker.

Cheryl Baker’s real name is Rita Crudgington. #TOTP

The song was written by Stephanie de Sykes (who had a no 2 hit in ’74 with "Born With A Smile On My Face") & husband Stuart Slater.

“The Bad Old Days” finished 11th in the 1978 Eurovision Song Contest. At the time, that was the UK’s worst ever showing. #TOTP

Coco (then called Mother’s Pride) came 2nd in the 1976 final of A Song For Europe, and (as The Main Event) last in the 1979 final. #TOTP
                                        Expand
                                        Top Of The Pops Fax Top Of The Pops Fax ?@TOTP1978 2m
                                        One-hit-wonders Brian & Michael were Brian Burke and Mick Coleman. #TOTP

However, this is actually Kevin (Parrott – the producer) and Michael. Brian Burke left the act shortly after the single was released. #TOTP
                                        Expand
                                        Top Of The Pops Fax Top Of The Pops Fax ?@TOTP1978 4m
                                        Co-Co was the usual ghastly affair walking the line between amazing and disastrous!

Squeeze making their debut with a cigar-puffing Jools Holland! Brilliant!

Nothing major in the missed songs - Manhattan Transfer, 'Waddy, Stylistics. *yawn*

Comment

On the Scotland theme, it was that tune, but I know what you mean it doesn't
                                          sound right So I'm just wondering if so "disco" act did a version of it?
                                          Quite possible . . . . . I will have to investigate this further when time permits !

Now, I was definitely tuning in to the to the weekly top twenty on Radio One on Sunday evenings by thirty-five
                                          years ago - more recently (well, within the last decade or so ! ) I found cassette recordings I had made of parts of this
                                          week's edition. These were mainly tracks that I would buy on 7" single sooner or later, and would further obtain on
                                          CD compilations in the nineties / noughties. Five such tracks were in this week's "Top Of The Pops" - and they all
                                          survived the early-evening editor's scissors, as (most of) this edition gets its first repeat since 1978:

6-4-78: Presenter: Noel Edmonds

(8) GENESIS – Follow You Follow Me (and charts)
                                          (NEW) THE BOOMTOWN RATS – She’s So Modern
                                          (16) MANHATTAN TRANSFER – Walk In Love
                                          (12) HOT CHOCOLATE – Every 1’s A Winner
                                          (11) ANDREW GOLD – Never Let Her Slip Away (danced to by Legs & Co)
                                          (44) SQUEEZE – Take Me I’m Yours
                                          (13) WINGS – With A Little Luck (video)
                                          (5) SHOWADDYWADDY – I Wonder Why
                                          (NEW) THE STYLISTICS – Wonder Woman

(30) SHEILA B. DEVOTION – Singin’ In The Rain Part 1 (video)
                                          (NEW) ANDY GIBB – Shadow Dancing
                                          (NEW) CO-CO – The Bad Old Days
                                          (1) BRIAN & MICHAEL – Matchstalk Men And Matchstalk Cats And Dogs
                                          (2) BLONDIE – Denis [ previously unknown on PopScene ! ]

The full version should turn up at 1.00 am, and on Saturday night, hopefully !

I'm still not sure that the "real" St Winifred's Choir appeared here - some of them looked as if they were just miming ! - so,
                                          further to Blondini's observation above, Michael might have been the only member present who was actually on the single.

I had the mistaken impression that it wasn't long after this that Andy Gibb died - but apparently he was then
                                          only 20 years old, and only just reached his 30th birthday, ten years later, in 1988 . . . . .

Comment

• The choir on the record is The St Winifred’s School Choir. Yes, them of “There’s No One Quite Like Grandma” fame. #TOTP

Unfortunately, the St Winifred’s kids (who were around 9/10 years old) were too young to work late in the #TOTP studio…
                                            Expand
                                            Top Of The Pops Fax Top Of The Pops Fax ?@TOTP1978 12m

Comment

• Thought so !

You'd think they would have made an effort to do a recording during daylight hours with the real singers,
                                              maybe at a weekend - as if wasn't as if the show went out "live". But perhaps it was a slight surprise that it
                                              reached number one this week, because (as exaggerated by Noel Edmonds in introducing it) the single had
                                              progressed 45 - 37 - 18 - 10 - 03 - 04 - 01 .

Comment

• And more song info on Wiki:

"Matchstalk Men and Matchstalk Cats and Dogs"[5] was a tribute to the artist L. S. Lowry, who had died two years previously. For the song, Coleman drew on his own memories of Salford and Ancoats as well as the paintings of Lowry. St Winifred's School Choir appeared on the record, singing the children's song "The Big Ship Sails on the Alley-Alley-O". The single spent three weeks at the top of the UK Singles Chart. The b-side of the record was entitled "The Old Rocking Chair".

The tune of the song has been adapted into a song sung by fans of Scottish football club Celtic FC, entitled Willie Maley, who was a prominent figure in the early history of the club. The song can be heard on a weekly basis sung by fans, and played over the loudspeaker system at Celtic Park.

The tune of the song has also been adapted by The Lancashire Hotpots in the song "Dolby 5.1".
                                                Coleman and Parrott remain in the music industry as songwriters and record producers for themselves and other acts. Other chart success as writers/producers were with "The Sparrow" (The Ramblers, No 11 in 1979), and Claire and Friends' "It's 'Orrible Being in Love when You're Eight and a Half" (Number 13 in 1986). Coleman also wrote the hit song "Hold My Hand" for Ken Dodd.
                                                I loved that song!

The original Brian/ Michael duo were called Burke and Jerk before they wised up and changed it!

Comment

• Did you spot that Shelia was wearing the same hot pants that those 3 girls wear in the slimming add that's been on recently

Update
                                                  March to April 2 - 1978 charts now on blog site

Comment

• Next week's extended edition is 50 minutes long!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X