No announcement yet.

Top Of The Pops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It took several attempts for me to record the Cars hit. The problem was that I didn't realise that it actually ends not fade like many records do. The first time I must have faded it. The second time the DJ did. I had a similar problem with the Queen track, it's mostly down to the la la ending! I tried a few times, but either another record started (they were mixed on the Hallam top 40) or Kelly Temple butted in with his time check, the most famous being "ten minutes after two". Three records in a row with the show starting at 2pm! So I never did get a good version of that Queen track. :(
    Incidentally the record is hanging around download sites charts, so that could put it close if not give it a chart position this Sunday or in the weeks to come. It's one of those records that hangs around download sites charts anyway!

Thin Lizzy - he didn't say "Valantino has a bogie snot" did he?

Boney M! Yes I find my self singing that song when I'm decorating

On the missing track Clog Dance. It too has a tricky end, you think it's finished then it starts up again! I had to record that again too. But by then it was falling and it took a massive dive so it got the whistling sound jingle for taking the biggest drop in the 40. A sound like something falling, with a crash on the end. When it's finished there a new entry jingle for the Pointer Sisters and Fire. An arrow sound then hitting the target!
    Such fun was the top 40 then! Radio Hallam even played a very small piece of that Sex Pistols record, Friggin in the riggin, which was the banned by the BBC, good job they had that cover version to play then!
    Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!

Comment

• This week:

9-3-79: Presenter: Kid Jensen

(19) HERBIE HANCOCK – You Bet Your Love (and charts)
      (46) INNER CIRCLE – Everything Is Great
      (2) ELVIS COSTELLO & THE ATTRACTIONS – Oliver’s Army
      (7) THE SEX PISTOLS – Something Else (danced to by Legs & Co)
      (44) BUZZCOCKS – Everybody’s Happy Nowadays
      (26) DENNIS BROWN – Money In My Pocket
      (47) LATE SHOW – Bristol Stomp
      (5) THE REAL THING – Can You Feel The Force
      (NEW) CLIFF RICHARD – Green Light
      (27) THE DOOLEYS – Honey I’m Lost
      (63) MOTÖRHEAD – Overkill
      (11) GENE CHANDLER – Get Down (footage from Soul Train 20-1-79)

(66) LEYTON BUZZARDS – Saturday Night (Beneath The Plastic Palm Trees)
      (1) THE BEE GEES – Tragedy (danced to by Legs & Co)
      (14 ) GARY'S GANG – Keep On Dancing (and credits}

Cliff Richard hadn't had a top forty hit for almost two years at this point - and
      his new release featured here wasn't going to change that, stalling at 57 . . . . .

The Leyton Buzzards wouldn't get to the top forty either, but everything
      else from lower down this week would at least briefly sneak in.

Although I occasionally bought singles from some of tonight's acts, the only hit I liked
      this week was from Elvis Costello. In my all-time chart, "Oliver's Arny" is at . . . . . 26 !

Counting down this week - the UKMixParade Top 200 of 2019

Comment

• Leyton Buzzards really not great.
        The band took their name from their home town of Leyton, an area of east London, punning upon the name of the Bedfordshire town, Leighton Buzzard. They were initially a pub rock band, but soon adapted to punk rock/New Wave.[2] Their debut single, "19 and Mad", was released in 1977 by Small Wonder Records.[2] They won a high-profile "battle of the bands" competition organized by BBC Radio 1 and The Sun, resulting in a major-label deal with Chrysalis Records. the first fruits of this deal, "Saturday Night (Beneath the Plastic Palm Trees)", reached Number 53 in the UK Singles Chart in March 1979, spending five weeks in the chart, and led to an appearance on Top of the Pops.[2][3]

The band shortened their name to The Buzzards for the 1979 single "We Make a Noise" and the album Jellied Eels to Record Deals, before reverting to The Leyton Buzzards for their final single, "Can't Get used to Losing You".[2]

They recorded four sessions for BBC Radio One's John Peel between July 1978 and January 1980.[4]

The band split up in 1980, with Deane and Jaymes going on to greater chart success with salsa-tinged pop act Modern Romance.[
        The lead singer had success in other fields, too:

Top Of The Pops Fax ?@TOTP1979 6h

Geoff Deane later became a TV/film writer. His credits include Birds Of A Feather, May To December and the movie Kinky Boots. #TOTP

Geoff Deane also wrote the Divine hit "You Think You're A Man". #TOTP

Inner Circle singer Jacob Miller was sadly killed in a car accident in March 1980.
        They reformed in 86 with a new singer and had a big hit with Sweat (A La La La La Long) and also did the Bad Boys theme from TV hit Cops. ,

Why did this #TOTP air on a Friday? Cos it was moved to make room for A Song For Europe.
        Motorhead fantastic - not sure the audience agreed!
        Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (11th July 20) - Jessie Ware breaks a record! Plus Jessie Frye, Teenage Joans, AA Williams, Allie X, Samantha Crain, Future Islands, San Cisco, Static-X, Ghum, Liza Owen, Wye Oak, Declan McKenna, Blues Pills, Kid Cudi ft Eminem, Polly Scattergood, Dream Wife, Willie Nelson, Keleketla!...

Comment

• (11) GENE CHANDLER – Get Down (footage from Soul Train 20-1-79)

Unusually, this one was also edited out of the late night repeat.

Perhaps its origination in another earlier broadcast from a different provider
          made it more / too expensive to clear for broadcast again in 2014 . . . . .

Comment

• I do remember seeing the Late Show doing that track on a TOTP, however the drummer was out of sync. So as he was in sync in this performance it must have been a later performance. Hopefully it's not on a cut episode so watch out next time it's played!

That was the last top ten hit by the Real Thing, aside some reissues that make the chart in 1986.

No show next week it's Sky At Night!

Comment

• This week:

15-3-79: Presenter: Peter Powell

(25) PLAYERS ASSOCIATION – Turn The Music Up (and charts)
              (30) THE JAM – Strange Town
              (4) LENE LOVICH – Lucky Number
              (18) TOTO – Hold The Line (video)
              (20) THE CARS – Just What I Needed (video)
              (7) CHIC – I Want Your Love (danced to by Legs & Co)
              (15) THIN LIZZY – Waiting For An Alibi
              (26) VIOLINSKI – Clog Dance
              (13) THE SKIDS – Into The Valley
              (19) HERBIE HANCOCK – You Bet Your Love (video)
              (NEW) BLACK LACE – Mary Ann
              (1) GLORIA GAYNOR – I Will Survive (video)
              (22) QUEEN – Don’t Stop Me Now (and credits)

Whoever put together tonight's early-evening edit doesn't seem to have been a fan of the heavier rock tracks !

It would be a few more years before the performers of our 1979 Eurovision Song Contest entry would enjoy major sales success with . . . . . "Agadoo".

Comment

• Superman would come before that, though - #9 hit autumn 83, on chart for 18 weeks, pretty major to me!
                The line-up changed by then from a four-piece band to a singing duo. Original member Alan Barton later joined Smokie in 1987 as their lead singer - he died in 1995 in a minibus crash, shortly after he recorded vocals on the Chubby Brown assisted version of Living Next Door To Alice. One of the other members stood in for Barton on TOTP.

Apparently Violinski have been trending.
                Top Of The Pops Fax ?@TOTP1979 5h

One hit wonders Violinski were a side project of ELO violinist Mik Kaminski, with ex ELO bassist Mike de Albuquerque on guitar. #TOTP

Keyboard player John Marcangelo was inspired to write the song by a clog shop in his home town of Whitehaven.
                “Clog Dance” went to become a favourite with brass bands, and features in the film Brassed Off.
                According to John Marcangelo, Terry Wogan was interested in recording “The Clog Dance” as a follow up to “The Floral Dance”.
                “His management got in touch, saying, ‘Did I have any words for it?’” But he didn't.
                Peter Powell's "blood-soaked" shirt is a weird design for family TV.
                Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (11th July 20) - Jessie Ware breaks a record! Plus Jessie Frye, Teenage Joans, AA Williams, Allie X, Samantha Crain, Future Islands, San Cisco, Static-X, Ghum, Liza Owen, Wye Oak, Declan McKenna, Blues Pills, Kid Cudi ft Eminem, Polly Scattergood, Dream Wife, Willie Nelson, Keleketla!...

Comment

• Bit more information on Black Lace. They apparently got ripped off by the Record Company and despite the massive success of Agadoo, they got very little money back from it, due to a lousy royalty deal. In fact the only way they could get any money from the record was to re-record it and sell it again. Sadly the re-recordings are not very good and few people want them.
                  In the Real Chart Mary Ann blasted to number 30, then fell back to number 66! It spent 7 weeks bumping up and down the lower end of the 100.

The Smokie link is interesting, because you would have thought it was them doing that record. It's very much a rip off of Oh Carol. Smokie had to change their name from "Smokey" as of course Smokey Robinson (who they named the band after) objected to it!

Herbie Hancock used the voice changing device a lot on his records. Most acts tended to use it as an effect voice such as on the Peter Frampton track from 1976. I believe it was first used in a USA film or TV about a talking Piano called Sparky!

Comment

• Given that Agadoo, and many of their most successful songs, were covers they wouldn't have made as much money as people might think, anyway (though i take it their original songs on the b-sides would recoup some of the sales?). Agadoo was a French song from the 70's called Agadou. Superman was a cover of an Italian hit from 81 - the Gioca Jouer of the subtitle. Hokey Cokey was a traditional song. Not only that, but you could say they lost money through bad luck and bad marketing as they recorded the first English version of The Birdie Dance way before The Tweets (under the name Buzby) but it flopped. They did a version of Cotton Eye(d) Joe before Rednex (under the rework name Bullsh*t). Obviously, Smokie did the original of ...Alice, too but the X version was a cover of Gompie's Dutch version that was initially more successful in UK.

I think Black Lace made most of their money at Butlins and Blackpool and the like! Such a classy name for a group yet they were anything but. With a name like that they should sound smooth and sensual like Hot Chocolate.

Comment

• This week:

29-3-79: Presenter: Mike Read

(06) CHIC – I Want Your Love (and charts)
                      (34) RACEY – Some Girls
                      (30) THE THREE DEGREES – The Runner (video)
                      (42) ROCKY SHARPE & THE REPLAYS – Imagination
                      (28) NEIL DIAMOND – Forever In Blue Jeans (danced to by Legs & Co)
                      (60) GONZALEZ – I Haven’t Stopped Dancing Yet
                      (19) ART GARFUNKEL – Bright Eyes (video)

(69) DANA – Something’s Cookin’ In The Kitchen
                      (70) SHOWADDYWADDY – Remember Then
                      (25) SISTER SLEDGE – He’s The Greatest Dancer (video)
                      (45) KANDIDATE – I Don’t Wanna Lose You
                      (64) BLACK LACE – Mary Ann
                      (01) GLORIA GAYNOR – I Will Survive (video)
                      (26) THE JACKSONS – Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground) (and credits)

I have added the opening and closing tracks, which were missing from the Popscene archive listing - and rearranged the rest a bit, as it had a few of the other hits in completely incorrect places in the running order ! There was definitely only a cut after Neil Diamond and before Dana - although it remains to be seen later tonight whether what originally appeared there is as above . . . . . and it seems likely that if a movie clip was used for "Bright Eyes", it will still be missing !

Comment

• Knowing the Neil Diamond track a great deal, I would say there was a cut inside it, as there is no-way that song was like that.

Hyped record ALERT goes to Rocky Sharpe, who's entry at 42 found no place in the Real Chart for the same week. Thanks to the TOTP appearance it entered the week following, but under 75!

I love the Dana record
                        Probably the first mention of a microwave oven on a record

Comment

• This week:

5-4-79: Presenter: Tony Blackburn

(24) THE SEX PISTOLS – Silly Thing (and charts)
                          (53) M – Pop Muzik
                          (2) VILLAGE PEOPLE – In The Navy (video)
                          (6) SQUEEZE – Cool For Cats
                          (8) DIRE STRAITS – Sultans Of Swing (danced to by Legs & Co)
                          (40) GENERATION X – Valley Of The Dolls
                          (4) CHIC – I Want Your Love

(44) THE MEMBERS – Offshore Banking Business
                          (23) THE JACKSONS – Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground) (from TopPop 24-2-79)
                          (NEW) MILK & HONEY with GALI ATARI – Hallelujah
                          (16) THE JAM – Strange Town
                          (1) GLORIA GAYNOR – I Will Survive (video)
                          (28) SIOUXSIE & THE BANSHEES – The Staircase (Mystery) (and credits)

It's only a week now until we discover what steps will be taken to avoid using the "Watership Down" extract with the next number one - most likely they will find a Legs & Co routine to a song of similar tempo (ideally from a DLT or Jimmy Savile edition) and edit those pictures in instead . . . . .

Comment

• The Village People with their first hit had managed to pull the wool over the eyes over much of the USA, as regards the sexuality of the band and it's associations with gay culture. However "In The Navy" pushed a bit too far and it became obvious! Shortly after this the USA would turn away from anything Disco. Nevertheless it wasn't only the anti-gay and Christian lobby that went off the band. Gay activists themselves didn't like the stereotypes being presented by the band. The band responded with less gay songs - such as Can't Stop The Music, which was also an attack on counter disco culture of the USA, but it was too late. In The Navy did go on to inspire producer Ian Levine, together with FGTH Relax, he put the two together and created the sound of High Energy which was a hit for Evelyn Thomas.
                            The band itself was formed by French producer Jacques Morali, from an assortment of actors, dancers and session singers.

Billy Idol (of Generation X) who's real name was William Broad, was an English Literature student at Sussex University when Punk started. One of the novels he studied was a Douglas Coupland book called Generation X. The Film and novel references continued with that single. The title also happens to be a Russ Meyer film, many of his films being famous for women with big breasts. Beyond The Valley of The Dolls, I believe being one of them.

Jools Holland again appears smoking a cigar on the Squeeze. Even on the video's the band did he smokes the cigar! The two girls reminded me of Sharron and Tracy from Birds of A Feather!

The Jam made it's mark on Paul Weller's school, quite literally! The word could be seen carved in school desks all over the place! Paul says the name came from Jam sessions he used to do with lads at school and saying that to his mother! But when you consider that the bands Bread and Marmalade were big at that time, it doesn't take much to put Jam in-between them
                            By 1975 they had been working the club circuit and one such club performance saw the wife of one of the chaps from EMI put them in touch with her husband at EMI. However it all came to nothing. It wasn't till the Sex Pistols broke when the record company A&R people became interested in this type of band. Chris Parry of Polydor was after the Clash, but CBS offered them a better deal. So Chris went with the Jam.
                            Paul clearly used to much polish on his mirror in that song Strange Town, for he sings " I look in the mirror and what do I see? A great big layer of Mr Sheen starring back at me".

Comment

• Dire Straits up from 1,722 to 354 on Amazon downloads as a direct result of last nights show!

Comment

• This week:

12-4-79: Presenter: Peter Powell

(10) THE THREE DEGREES – The Runner (and charts)
                                (75) LIGHT OF THE WORLD – Swingin’
                                (14) KATE BUSH – Wow
                                (27) SHOWADDYWADDY – Remember Then
                                (11) THE SEX PISTOLS – Silly Thing (danced to by Legs & Co)
                                (26) NEIL DIAMOND – Forever In Blue Jeans (video)
                                (3) RACEY – Some Girls
                                (24) SUPERTRAMP – The Logical Song (video)
                                (20) SHAM 69 – Questions And Answers
                                (22) KANDIDATE – I Don’t Wanna Lose You
                                (6) SISTER SLEDGE – He’s The Greatest Dancer (video)
                                (1) ART GARFUNKEL – Bright Eyes (video)
                                (25) WINGS – Goodnight Tonight (and credits)

I had no recollection at all of the Light Of The World track, which moved from 75 to a peak of 45 the following week, but then swung downwards only . . . . .

So the number one was edited right down to "fair use" length, avoiding the need for payment - quite an ingenious approach, which I really didn't expect ! Presumably, as the late night repeat slots are 35 minutes, there will be no more there then than now - with the reinstatement of Showaddywaddy and a bit more of the playout from Wings being the only differences.

Comment

• I didn't know there was such a rule. I thought ALL uses of music had to be paid for - isn't that why Big Brother uses birdsong on live feeds and people are told not to sing on live shows when they haven't prepared for it?

Silly Thing was purely Steve Jones and Paul Cook and was a blueprint for their band The Professionals. The song is about Sid Vicious and was originally called Silly C**t until they changed it for mainstream consumption. On the rundown they used a pic from the sleeve of the single at 7 - the AA flip Friggin' In The Riggin'. Same sleeve used in both cases, i think.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blondini
                                    I didn't know there was such a rule. I thought ALL uses of music had to be paid for - isn't that why Big Brother uses birdsong on live feeds and people are told not to sing on live shows when they haven't prepared for it?
                                    You are quite right Tony the BBC would have had to pay for that bit. Though there is in UK copyright law "fair dealing" this would not apply to TOTP. By cutting it down they saved some money!

These are the rules regarding it :
                                    6.What is fair dealing?
                                    Fair dealing is a term used to describe some limited activities that are allowed without infringing copyright. Briefly these are as follows:
                                    i.Research and private study
                                    Copying parts of a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work or of a typographical arrangement of a published edition for the purpose of research or private study is allowed under the following conditions:
                                    •The copy is made for the purposes of research or private study.
                                    •The copy is made for non-commercial purposes.
                                    •The source of the material is acknowledged.
                                    •The person making the copy does not make copies of the material available for a number of people.

ii.Instruction or examination
                                    Copying parts of a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work or a sound recording, film or broadcast for the purpose of instruction or examination is allowed under the following conditions:
                                    •The copying is done by the student or the person giving instruction.
                                    •The copying is not done via a reprographic process.
                                    •The instruction is for a non-commercial purpose.

iii.Criticism or review
                                    Quoting parts of a work for the purpose of criticism or review is permitted provided that:
                                    •The work has been made available to the public.
                                    •The material quoted must be accompanied by some actual discussion or assessment (to warrant the criticism or review classification).
                                    •The amount of the material quoted is no more than is necessary for the purpose of the review.

iv.News reporting
                                    Using material for the purpose of reporting current events is permitted provided that:
                                    •The work is not a photograph.
                                    •The amount of the material quoted is no more than is necessary for the purpose.

v.Incidental inclusion
                                    Incidental inclusion is where part of one work is unintentionally included in another. The incidental inclusion of a work in an artistic work, sound recording, film or broadcast is not an infringement.

A typical example of this would be a case where a news broadcast inadvertently captured part of a copyright work, such as some background music, or a poster that just happened to on a wall in the background.

vi.Accessibility for someone with a visual impairment
                                    It is considered fair dealing to make an accessible copy of a work for someone with an visual impairment if a suitable accessible version is not already available.
                                    Website for info:
                                    http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/co...s#fair_dealing

Comment

• Supertramp up from 5,935 to 370 on Amazon Downloads!

Comment

• I think this instance was the use of film footage more than the music that CZB is referring to. They would have to pay both the composer/publishers and the film producers, wouldn't they? I get the part about incidental use on news programmes but this wouldn't apply. It was at least a minute of footage. Is there no footage of Art actually singing it that they could use?

Comment

• Originally posted by Blondini
                                          I think this instance was the use of film footage more than the music that CZB is referring to.
                                          Absolutely / entirely - the moving pictures from the film were the only contentious issue. A full three to four minutes of them in this and in three further editions, each broadcast three times, would apparently have been far too expensive for BBC FOUR's budget - just as week after week of "Grease" extracts would have been in the 1978 repeats.

Originally posted by Blondini
                                          They would have to pay both the composer/publishers and the film producers, wouldn't they?
                                          Yes indeed - the music was not any more of a problem than the many other tracks that are being aired again now, As you and Graham have both already outlined, they certainly would be paying the going rate for all of that anyway,

I get the part about incidental use on news programmes but this wouldn't apply. It was at least a minute of footage.
                                          No - it has been timed by others elsewhere, and been found to be ( possibly critically, and certainly suspiciously? ) only just LESS than sixty seconds. I may be wrong in assuming that this would totally avoid any need for payment - it could alternatively have been the maximum amount of the film clip that BBC FOUR could afford to pay for ! In the weeks ahead, it may become apparent which theory is correct - the former is more likely if a different 58-59 seconds is used each week ( we could gradually see the whole video, in four bits ! ) while the latter is more likely if it's the same segment that turns up every time.

Is there no footage of Art actually singing it that they could use?
                                          If there was, it would have almost certainly have been a simpler and cheaper solution to slip that in instead - or, as I suggested previously, any even reasonably suitable Legs & Co performance of similar length that originally accompanied another song. So I strongly suspect that they have searched for either or both of these alternatives, but found nothing they could use . . . . .

Comment

• There is footage of him singing it!
                                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGyTGP5q_q4

No - it has been timed by others elsewhere, and been found to be ( possibly critically, and certainly suspiciously? ) only just LESS than sixty seconds. I may be wrong in assuming that this would totally avoid any need for payment - it could alternatively have been the maximum amount of the film clip that BBC FOUR could afford to pay for ! In the weeks ahead, it may become apparent which theory is correct - the former is more likely if a different 58-59 seconds is used each week ( we could gradually see the whole video, in four bits ! ) while the latter is more likely if it's the same segment that turns up every time.
                                            There is no fixed time limit for fair use. As the film is on DVD the BBC would have to pay for it, because to show excerpts from the film would break the rule on copyright.

At one time TV stations paid nothing for the music videos shown on TV. They argued they were just promo films. Later on when music videos were all over the screen the record companies objected and TOTP stopped showing them. The ITV chart show was on at the time and that was taken off air. The BBC then decided to pay them for showing music videos and they returned to TOTP. However the ITV held out, but eventually agreed to a fee and the Chart Show came back on air.

Comment

• ^I checked Wiki, it was Channel 4, not ITV. ITV didn't get it and rename it The ITV Chart Show till much later. I didn't know that, regardless. Didn't start watching religiously until late 86, don't remember Rewind at all.

Shortly after launching, The Chart Show found itself being taken off air during a dispute with the Musicians' Union over the showing of music videos on ITV & Channel 4 which lasted throughout the summer of 1986. During this time, a show called Rewind, made by the same production team, was aired. This consisted of performances from other music shows. The dispute was resolved by the end of the summer, and The Chart Show returned at the end of August.
                                              BTW, the list you posted is wrong. Silly Thing by Sex Pistols is this week's #7, the other single is at 11.
                                              http://scans.chartarchive.org/UK/1979/1 ... Albums.jpg
                                              This explains why i thought i saw the wrong cover for #11.

There's also a video for it but it may not have been ready in time (there's nothing obscene in it like some other vids): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jz5A51ttTQ

Comment

• I loved the Chart Show (although they were cutting all the videos short)... I was so faithfully watching it in the early '90s (the fact that we were getting it 3 weeks late over here always p*ssed me off). We never had Top of the Pops shown here but I'd agree it was the better show.

Btw on what charts the chart show was based on? Because those certainly weren't the official charts.
                                                jio CHARTS NOW:6/7/2020:https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...2#post10427172

Comment

• The chart show used the MRIB chart for a time, then I think they had it independently done. It's reported to be done by Dave Howling, or at least he is credit to be in charge of them. Since it was broadcast Friday then Saturday it would have been faster than the BBC top of the pops chart, since TOTP was still using the chart for the previous week. And later on it was still broadcasting itself as the fastest chart on TV.
                                                  I liked it a lot since you could get it in Nicam stereo (near digital quality) fantastic compared to FM stereo of the radio.

Some of the Rock Bands would not let their videos to be shown. One argued they should have been full length. On the Paul Young video collection, he says that his number one Wherever I lay My Hat That's My Home was made as a short film with a course a plot. But shows like the chart show would cut of the start and end, so viewers didn't know that the two-timing rat got his come-uppance in the end!

Comment

• I thought it was more to do with the "intrusive" info graphics that covered the screen. The Verve famously banned them from showing Lucky Man and the show had to put up sarcastic comments on screen in the Indie and Top Tens. Oasis took the piss with one of their videos where they made their own block graphic to cover the screen. They didn't cut off that much - only the intro and end of most clips - some were played virtually uncut - they premiered Jacko's epic Leave Me Alone uncut i remember. In the specialist charts they cut things off more but they had to for time. The videos outside of the charts were usually 80% shown.

Comment

• The Oasis one was more to with MTV. On the the Go Let It Out video, they used the same caption type as MTV did with a White box. They also put on the words "the best videos have the largest captions".
                                                      MTV responded to this by making the caption of the track details very tiny
                                                      MTV were more angry that they were using there graphic style rather than the caption thing itself.

Several bands were funny about doing Top of The Pops itself. Wasn't the Clash one of them?

The Chart Show only showed about 3 minutes of some tracks. It had numorous make-overs of the graphic styles. I used to hate the mouse pointer one!

Comment

• 26-4-79: Presenter: Kid Jensen

(16) NEIL DIAMOND – Forever In Blue Jeans (and charts)
                                                        (23) GENERATION X – Valley Of The Dolls
                                                        (7) SUPERTRAMP – The Logical Song (video)
                                                        (28) ERUPTION – One Way Ticket
                                                        (24) SIOUXSIE & THE BANSHEES – The Staircase (Mystery) (video)
                                                        (2) RACEY – Some Girls
                                                        (20) AMII STEWART – Knock On Wood (footage from Snowtime Special: Disco In The Snow 9-4-79)
                                                        (18) SHAM 69 – Questions And Answers
                                                        (19) BONEY M – Hooray Hooray It’s A Holi-Holiday (footage from Snowtime Special: Disco In The Snow 9-4-79)
                                                        (43) MONKS – Nice Legs Shame About Her Face
                                                        (21) THE BEE GEES – Love You Inside Out (danced to by Legs & Co)
                                                        (1) ART GARFUNKEL – Bright Eyes (just the same 58-59 seconds piece of the video as last time)
                                                        (17) SHOWADDYWADDY – Remember Then (and credits)

I've now read elsewhere that apparently Art Garfunkel hadn't been able to record a performance of one of his previous hits for "Top Of The Pops", so they filmed him wandering around picturesque external locations and just played the record, accompanied by an edited collection of those images. So an even simpler solution than others previously suggested / adopted would surely have been to use them again now with "Bright Eyes" !

Although I don't remember exactly why, I recall reading much longer ago a theory that the future top twenty track by the "Monks" - whose previous successes were credited to Hudson-Ford, its two main performers - was one of the cheapest hits ever to be recorded . . . . .

Comment

Working...
                                                        X