No announcement yet.

Top Of The Pops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have missed two episodes now! The 27 July by JS and the 3 August by DLT. I can't find them on YouTube, are they still available anywhere?

That of course makes us way ahead of when these should have been shown back in 1978.

The other side of the Boney M record now getting played. It's no wonder a lot of people went out and bought the same record twice with introductions like that from Noel!

The Cerrone track is sort of a re-issue as it was out earlier in the year. But it's back in the charts all thanks to Kenny Everet and his "naughty bits" with the superior dancing of Hot Gossip! All done in the best possible taste on his ITV video show.
    Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!

Comment

• More great info from https://twitter.com/TOTP1978

Supernature was co-written by Lene Lovich who made her own version in 1986 which i think is even better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9VSenIBRcE

The Stranglers had a temporary ban after that performance
      after JJ Burnel kicked in the door of Child’s dressing room.
      JJ: ""I heard noises in my brain. They said that I should go to this other dressing-room that belongs to someone else. And enter. So I did
      Yet this door seemed to be in the way and then it wasn't and then I saw light. The door was not opened conventionally."
      Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham76man
        We have missed two episodes now! The 27 July by JS and the 3 August by DLT. I can't find them on YouTube, are they still available anywhere?
        Apparently those two episodes were never shown on UK Gold and so aren't available anywhere. I think they may be the first two we haven't been able to view this year, which is a shame. I'd like to have seen them both.

Comment

• Originally posted by CZB
          Originally posted by Robbie
          including the wonderful 'Stay With Me Tonight' by Judie Tzuke.
          Or even the possibly more optimistic "Stay With Me Till Dawn" !
          Oops, yes, 'Stay With Me Til Dawn'! I'm getting the title mixed up with the Jeffrey Osborne song from 5 years later!

Comment

• Tonight:

24-8-78: Presenter: Kid Jensen

(25) ANDY GIBB – Everlasting Love (and charts)
            (53) BILBO – She’s Gonna Win
            (12) DAVID ESSEX – Oh What A Circus (video)
            (61) BLONDIE – Picture This
            (10) JILTED JOHN – Jilted John
            (31) THE MOTORS – Forget About You
            (24) FOREIGNER – Cold As Ice (video)
            (27) HI-TENSION – British Hustle
            (4) BONEY M – Brown Girl In The Ring (danced to by Legs & Co)
            (32) THE JAM – David Watts
            (1) THE COMMODORES – Three Times A Lady (video)
            (26) THE REZILLOS – Top Of The Pops (and credits)

I had no recollection at all of the opening track from Bilbo - perhaps because it would only go on to advance a further eleven places beyond its current position of number 53 . . . . .

I'm sure I was by no means alone in seeing a certain similarity between the backing track of the second hit by the Motors to the theme tune of the BBC Saturday afternoon sports programme "Grandstand" !

I'm struggling to think of any other instance of a single being "flipped" and the second A-side then enjoying almost as much success as the first apart from the Boney M hit, currently less than half-way through its long stay in the top 75. At around this time in 1978, "Rivers Of Babylon" / "Brown Girl In The Ring" was the first single I ever bought !
            Counting down this week - the UKMixParade Top 200 of 2020

Comment

• That Motors song is a part rip-off of the theme from Grandstand!
              I checked and there's no co-author of both and the theme started in 1975.

Blondie - just awesome. That one is so hard to sing Debbie doesn't do it now in her old age.

A rare Jam song that doesn't have a lead vocal by Weller.

Bilbo was formerly known as Bilbo Baggins and they were first due to be on the show in 1974 but a BBC strike "put paid to that", says TOTP Fax.
              Singer Colin Chisholm auditioned for The Voice this year and failed.
              Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

• I always thought that the Bilbo track at that time could either have been hyped, as it never got past 42, or it was a radio one backed song, which at that time I believed was the kiss of death to a track. Despite reaching 42, it never made the Hallam top 40, generally a 41 to 45 record would often get in at the lower end of that chart. I don't recall hearing it on Radio Hallam either! I only knew of it because of Record Mirror publishing the top 75. It did however get on a K-Tel 20 hits track album (equivalent back then of a Now album). A girl friend of mine bought that album and showed it me. She asked me if that track was a hit, because she had never heard of it!

The Jam song wasn't one of their own, but is a Kinks song. It was a AA side with A Bomb In Wardour Street, that also I don't recall getting played much on Hallam either!

Comment

• Motor's song Forget About You up from 63,845 to 369 on the Amazon bestselling downloads!

Comment

• This week:

31-8-78: Presenter: Tony Blackburn

(27) HERBIE HANCOCK – I Thought It Was You (and charts)
                    (62) THE DOOLEYS – A Rose Has To Die
                    (25) SIOUXSIE & THE BANSHEES – Hong Kong Garden (video)
                    (4) 10cc – Dreadlock Holiday
                    (54) KLARK KENT – Don’t Care
                    (19) ANDY GIBB – Everlasting Love (danced to by Legs & Co)
                    (33) EXILE – Kiss You All Over
                    (24) THE REZILLOS – Top Of The Pops
                    (2) DARTS – It’s Raining
                    (NEW) CLIFF RICHARD – Please Remember Me
                    (17) HI-TENSION – British Hustle (and credits)

With no recollection of "Klark Kent" at all, I looked up the chart peak of "Don't Care" in one of the Hit Singles books - it limped up only a further six places to number 48 - in which the true identity of the performer was revealed. He's much more well-known for other things, such as being a member of a group who had five UK number ones !

Despite this week's "Top Of The Pops" performance, 1978 would only be the second year since the beginning of his career two decades earlier in which Cliff Richard had NO hit singles at all in the UK . . . . .

From this line-up, just the hits from the Dooleys and the Commodores are in my own singles collection - and I only have them rated in 81st and 94th place for the year, and at 3538 and 3833 of all time.

Comment

• Yes, Klark Kent was Stewart Copeland - drummer of The Police. The Kent songs were meant to be for The Police originally but ultimately didn't suit. He played all the instruments on that. The Police had already released two singles by this point, including the first flop release of Roxanne.

Comment

• It has been suggested elsewhere - indeed, I get the impression that it had been admitted to some fans, in the expectation that it would never be seen again ! - that the other members of the Police also participated in this "Top of the Pops" performance even more heavily disguised, including Sting in a gorilla mask . . . . .

Meanwhile, it doesn't look as if Dave Lee Travis-hosted editions will reappear any time soon, as it has been reported today on the news programmes that he is now facing (and will deny) eleven or twelve assault charges.

Comment

• Originally posted by CZB
                          It has been suggested elsewhere - indeed, I get the impression that it had been admitted to some fans, in the expectation that it would never be seen again ! - that the other members of the Police also participated in this "Top of the Pops" performance even more heavily disguised, including Sting in a gorilla mask . . . . .

Meanwhile, it doesn't look as if Dave Lee Travis-hosted editions will reappear any time soon, as it has been reported today on the news programmes that he is now facing (and will deny) eleven or twelve assault charges.
                          His case has been referred to a Crown Court as the magistrate has ruled that the charges are too serious to be dealt with in a Magistrates Court.

Although he is due in court in September, unless he pleads Guilty the actual court case is not expected to start until next year.

There's only another 2 Top Of The Pops from 1978 that he presented. However, if we continue into 1979 there are 10 programmes that he presented that year. There's also 8 Jimmy Savile hosted editions so I have feeling that BBC4 may just end the run with the last programme from 1978. Hopefully not but there would be so many editions that could have to be skipped - over a third in fact.

Comment

• This week:

7-9-78: Presenter: Peter Powell

(24) FRANKIE VALLI – Grease (and charts)
                            (26) THE JAM – David Watts
                            (NEW) LEO SAYER – I Can’t Stop Loving You (Though I Try)
                            (2) BONEY M – Brown Girl In The Ring (video)
                            (13) THE MOTORS – Forget About You
                            (65) DEE D. JACKSON – Meteor Man
                            (5) DAVID ESSEX – Oh What A Circus (video)

(25) HERBIE HANCOCK – I Thought It Was You (danced to by Legs & Co)
                            (30) SYLVESTER – You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real) (video)
                            (NEW) MANHATTAN TRANSFER – Where Did Our Love Go
                            (9) HI-TENSION – British Hustle
                            (50) ARTHUR MULLARD & HYLDA BAKER – You’re The One That I Want
                            (29) CROWN HEIGHTS AFFAIR – Galaxy Of Love (and credits)

I can't recall anything of the flop follow-up to the major hit "Automatic Lover" from earlier in 1978 - but hopefully it will turn up in the full-length repeat later on and on Saturday. * * *

It might be thought that this performance of the former "Grease" chart-topper by Hylda Baker and Arthur Mullard would have been more likely to discourage buyers (it's nowhere near as dire on the 7" single, which also features their attempt at "Save Your Kisses For Me") but it actually rose right to its number 22 peak in the following week !

* * * Later: not only was the rather third-rate remake of "Automatic Lover" (without robotic voice) included in the late repeat, but so was a further track straight after it, not mentioned in the archive listing, but which I have now edited into the above list.

Comment

• More unsavoury info regarding a person on this show:

Top Of The Pops Fax ?@TOTP1978 5h

If you’re thinking what a loveable oaf Arthur Mullard was, unfortunately we have to bring you crashing down to Earth.
                              In 1996, Arthur Mullard’s daughter Barbara told the Sunday Mirror that he sexually abused her for years, from the age of 13.
                              Mullard’s wife, Flo, died of an overdose in 1961. According to Barbara, she left a suicide note citing the abuse as the cause
                              story source

Weirdly, because of complaints previously when Jonathan King and Gary Glitter were edited out the BBC are keeping in performances by people associated with such cases (Glitter, King and people i've mentioned in previous posts) but actual presenters like Saville can't be shown. This makes no sense. DLT is an ongoing case so that's understandable. Maybe it's that watching Saville with his arms round young girls leaves a rather bad taste now?

Comment

• This week - and returning to Thursdays now that summer is over - one of only eight editions
                                (and only three now surviving) which the then Radio One weekday lunchtime DJ ever hosted:

21-9-78: Presenter: Paul Burnett

(15) THE MOTORS – Forget About You (and charts)
                                (49) BUZZCOCKS – Ever Fallen In Love (With Someone You Shouldn’t’ve)
                                (11) JOHN TRAVOLTA & OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN – Summer Nights (video)
                                (NEW) BROTHERHOOD OF MAN – Middle Of The Night
                                (25) THE JAM – David Watts

(29) LEO SAYER – I Can’t Stop Loving You (Though I Try)
                                (7) ABBA – Summer Night City (video)
                                (NEW) STEPHEN BISHOP – Looking For The Right One
                                (20) SYLVESTER – You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real) (danced to by Legs & Co)
                                (3) DAVID ESSEX – Oh What A Circus (video)
                                (NEW) THE THREE DEGREES – Giving Up, Giving In
                                (1) 10cc – Dreadlock Holiday
                                (17) ROSE ROYCE – Love Don’t Live Here Anymore (and credits)

If "Summer Nights" is included in the late night repeats, we can probably expect the "Grease" clip
                                to be replaced again with a Legs & Co performance from this year's Christmas special . . . . .

The track by Stephen Bishop (who?) didn't turn out to be quite as "chartbound" as predicted !

Comment

• Stephen Bishop was quite popular with some radio programmers in the UK in the mid to late 70s with songs such as 'Save It For A Rainy Day', 'On And On' and 'Little Italy' but he could never translate radio popularity into sales. The first two songs I mentioned were US top 40 hits as was the one he performed on TOTP tonight.

'Little Italy' still gets played to this day. I've heard it being played on Radio 2 a few times over the past couple of years.

Comment

• Bishop's Wiki is quite interesting. You may not have heard of him but you have heard him.

Bishop was born in San Diego, California, and attended Will C. Crawford High School.[1] He had a major hit in 1977 with the song "On and On", which was a Number 11 hit in the U.S.; his other hits include "Save It for a Rainy Day", "Everybody Needs Love", "Something New in My Life" and "It Might Be You", the theme from the movie Tootsie. He has also performed many movie themes, including the theme from National Lampoon's Animal House which he sang in falsetto. He also provided his talent to the theme song in the Christmas movie All I Want for Christmas.

His song "Separate Lives", sung by Phil Collins and Marilyn Martin from the movie White Nights, was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1986, losing to "Say You, Say Me" from the same film. Bishop wrote the song about his breakup with actress Karen Allen, who also appeared in Animal House. Bishop said: "I write much better when I'm heartbroken and sad or melancholy."[2]

Comment

• Passing over a DLT-presented week (in which, incredibly, Crystal Gayle's current hit was
                                      featured even though it was falling one place to number 29), tonight we return to:

5-10-78: Presenter: Kid Jensen

(5) ABBA – Summer Night City (and charts)
                                      (32) MICK JACKSON – Blame It On The Boogie
                                      (6) DEAN FRIEDMAN – Lucky Stars (video)
                                      (18) THIRD WORLD – Now That We’ve Found Love (danced to by Legs & Co)
                                      (30) BUZZCOCKS – Ever Fallen In Love (With Someone You Shouldn’t’ve)
                                      (NEW) ELAINE PAIGE – Don’t Walk Away Till I Touch You

(9) BONEY M – Rasputin (video)
                                      (NEW) MARSHALL HAIN – Coming Home
                                      (NEW) SHAM 69 – Hurry Up Harry
                                      (7) LEO SAYER – I Can’t Stop Loving You (Though I Try)
                                      (NEW) THE BOOMTOWN RATS – Rat Trap
                                      (1) JOHN TRAVOLTA AND OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN – Summer Nights (video)
                                      (17) ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA – Sweet Talkin’ Woman (and credits)

The Legs & Co performance edited in to replace the "Grease" clip here - as it will no doubt also be for
                                      the other repeats in which "Summer Nights" remains at number one - apparently comes from the
                                      Christmas 1978 "Top Of The Pops" ( not that there seemed to be anything very seasonal about it ! )

Comment

• Leo Sayer was cut out, too.

And there's this banned single at 22 by the future Doc Cox from That's Life: The Winker's Song (Misprint)

#pervwatch latest: Jimmy Pursey of Sham 69 was cautioned in 2002 for forcibly kissing a 16-year old girl.

Next week is a cut Saville episode that also happens to feature Jonathan King.

Oh, yes. Newcomers may be shocked to learn BIOTB was written and first recorded by ANOTHER Michael Jackson! The Jacksons cover was hot on its heels and peaked at #8 while Brit Mick's original got to #15.

Comment

• I was still buying singles at this time, but it's getting close to when I purchased my first stereo cassette deck. One of them was Mick Jackson!
                                          I remember Kid Jenson doing the Sunday night top 20 on Radio One. That's before it became a top 40. The two Jacksons later on ended up side by side in the top 20. And I remember Kid calling it "the battle of the boogies"
                                          Mick of course lost, perhaps because he did not have a flash video. My local Radio Station Hallam had a top 40 sales chart and oddly and quiet rarely Mick Jackson's version never entered the top 40 there. Hallam's chart being very conservative to other chart's such as Bradford's Pennine Radio chart. Hallam's chart being very near the official chart, but just a bit quicker. It was therefore highly unusual for a record that spent several weeks in the official top 40 not to make Hallam's.
                                          Independent Radio were less likely to ban records then the BBC radio. But even Ivor Biggin was too much for them! The sales of the record must have been based only on the fact that to hear it you had to buy it!

When we reach the TOTP after I got my cassette recorder I'll put the first top 40 tape I recorded on it on YouTube for you all to hear!

Comment

• Sales increases on Amazon for two of yesterday's performances.
                                            MARSHALL HAIN – Coming Home = up from 12,228 to 360!
                                            DEAN FRIEDMAN – Lucky Stars = up from 4,643 to 311.

Forgot to mention about the Lucky Stars track. To this day I still don't know who the female vocalist is on the track. I never ever heard a DJ mention her name so I assume it's not on the 45 label.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham76man
                                              Sales increases on Amazon for two of yesterday's performances.
                                              MARSHALL HAIN – Coming Home = up from 12,228 to 360!
                                              DEAN FRIEDMAN – Lucky Stars = up from 4,643 to 311.

Forgot to mention about the Lucky Stars track. To this day I still don't know who the female vocalist is on the track. I never ever heard a DJ mention her name so I assume it's not on the 45 label.
                                              The uncredited female singer is Denise Marsa.

Here they are singing the song in October 2012 in Islington in London

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoY6z6zp0rk

He still sounds half asleep!

Incidentally Kid Jensen never presented the Sunday chart show on Radio 1. Back when it was a top 20 it was presented by Tom Browne from October 1972 until March 1978. Simon Bates then took over and remained on the show beyond it expanding to a top 40 in November 1978 until Tony Blackburn took over in late 1979. It's possible that Kid Jensen may have stood in for one or two shows though I can't recall it happening. Which isn't to say that it didn't happen of course.

Comment

• Just to put you out of your misery, it was Simon Bates who presented that particular show

I remember it well.

Sure I've still got it on cassette (somewhere)

Comment

• Thanks Robbie & Jaygreen
                                                  It would have been Bates. I always had the tendency to mix him and the Kid up!
                                                  Mind you we are all wrong since it was on Radio 2 in FM stereo, just high jacked by Radio One! I'm certain nobody recorded the medium wave version!

I was never a fan of Radio One though.
                                                  I was always a fan of the joke announcement which went like this: " There's no truth in the rumour that Radio One is a recording recording recording...."
                                                  It probably still is

I was watching the recording of the TOTP show today and noticed that the picture quality on the legs performance doing the number one was more "blocky" then the rest. Further proof that it's a copy from another show. Even the BBC can't afford HD recorders!

Comment

• Graham, as CZB posted above, the Legs & Co performance of 'Summer Nights' is taken from the Christmas 1978 edition of TOTP. It's possibly one of their worst dance routines - in fact it's pretty dreadful.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X