Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woo PCD!

Comment

Some performances for the show were recorded yesterday at BBC Television Centre. Further recording will take place on December 14th. The show will feature exclusive performances from some of the year's biggest stars and will include the all important Christmas Number One.

Comment

Will they know on December 14 who the X Factor winner is?

(I don't have ITV over here and don't follow X Factor so have no clue if it wraps this weekend - though, I guess they can just record all the remaining acts singing "Hallelujah" anyway, and play the correct one on the day!!!)

Thanks Star...you weren't at any of the tapings, were you?

Comment

I don't know about that. I wasn't there. I found out through a site that were giving away tickets. But you have to subscribe to apply. And I found out too late.

Edit: The X Factor final is on the 13th - so yeah

Comment

I hope the X Factor winner appears on the show, I'm sure the last few years we've just ended up with the video? :-?

Comment

Pretty great show overall I thought - a good mix of genres and stuff really. I wish they'd bring it back full time... long live TOTP!
              "This time I'm gonna get it right. I'm gonna paint my face like the Guggenheim!"

Comment

It was a very good show I liked almsot every act who performed. I was glad to see Alexandra performing instead of just the video and she did a very good job Leona was amazing as usual and Girls Aloud were also fantastic. Duffy was also good, but I cringed at bit at the little dance she did with her arms.
                Other good performances: Sam Sparro, Adele, Coldplay and Take That.
                i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging

Comment

Originally posted by topopMAC1
                  Pretty great show overall I thought - a good mix of genres and stuff really. I wish they'd bring it back full time... long live TOTP!
                  I agree! It was much better than last year's.

They still annoyed me a little though showing Vampire Weekend's "A Punk" as a highlight from the first 6 months of the year - that song didn't even make the Top 40 so they should never have included it, out of all the songs released between January and June they could've at least showed a clip of a genuine hit. This is just another example of TOTP trying to appeal to the indie kids when TOTP should never ever be that sort of show, it's a show appealing to the masses and should stay true to the "Pop" tag that its name includes.

Apart from that though good mix of music and a lot of big names.

Comment

I was glad to see A=Punk, the rest were tired, overplayed monster hits, A-Punk was not massivr but indicative of a different but popular musical genre!
                    Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

But Christmas TOTP is always about playing those massive, tired hits that you've heard all year round, for exactly that reason - it's not about pandering to the slightly obscure in the hope that some indie kids mention how cool Christmas TOTP was! If they wanted to display that genre they could've had a clip of Hot Chip or Wombats.

Comment

Well I was glad of it, and that PCD did I Hate This Part and not When I Grow Up, I iPlayered and skipped most performances as it was.
                        Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller
                          Originally posted by topopMAC1
                          I agree! It was much better than last year's.

They still annoyed me a little though showing Vampire Weekend's "A Punk" as a highlight from the first 6 months of the year - that song didn't even make the Top 40 so they should never have included it, out of all the songs released between January and June they could've at least showed a clip of a genuine hit. This is just another example of TOTP trying to appeal to the indie kids when TOTP should never ever be that sort of show, it's a show appealing to the masses and should stay true to the "Pop" tag that its name includes.

Apart from that though good mix of music and a lot of big names.
                          I totally agree with you! Whilst it was a good song, it was no WAY one of the biggest hits of the year... I was like HUH when it came up on screen!
                          "This time I'm gonna get it right. I'm gonna paint my face like the Guggenheim!"

Comment

It was really good - glad that loads of my favourite songs of the year were played. I'm surprised the line up was so strong and glad they virtually all sang live.

Another amazing Leona performance too!
                            Ste's Personal Chart 2020

Comment

Be curious to see what the NYE special is like - apparently it's a review of the year but I've always thought of Christmas TOTP as that. Maybe it'll be more like a magazine with coverage of music events rather than just performances?

Comment

More info on the NY special:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00gh64m

TOTP New Year's Eve Special
                                31 Dec 2008, 17:35 on BBC One

Synopsis:

The Top Of The Pops New Year's Eve Special is a brand new one-off special that will review the year in music.

Fearne Cotton and Reggie Yates look back at the year in music, with performances in the studio and highlights from Coldplay at the BBC, and festival performances such as Madonna at Radio 1's Big Weekend and Kings of Leon at Glastonbury.

Comment

I thought the show was quite good, that confetti machine got a good use!

Alexandra and Leona were both great, Girls Aloud were my favourite though.

I wish they'd have had Estelle and The Ting Tings on, though. :(
                                  MadeOfBricks Chart of All Time.

Comment

TOTP is back again!

Fearne Cotton will host a Comic Relief special during Red Nose Day on Friday 13th March.

Hope it's good! No doubt The Saturdays will perform during the slot?

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller
                                      TOTP is back again!

Fearne Cotton will host a Comic Relief special during Red Nose Day on Friday 13th March.

Hope it's good! No doubt The Saturdays will perform during the slot?
                                      Yay!

Comment

Can´t wait ...
                                        nekoo.cz - follow me

Comment

Woop!

Comment

6.7m tuned in the for the Comic Relief special on BBC2 Friday night at 10pm, it was the highest rating programme in that slot and surely must the highest rating TOTP episode in many years?!

They should definitely look at bringing it back now, the demand is obvious.

Comment

It's a pity the demand wasn't obvious when it was axed in 2006. As much as I loved the show I think it holds little relevance today. The last few years that it was on air were quite dreadful to be honest with annoying celebrity presenters and always getting shifted about in the schedules. Fact is people have a huge choice when it comes to accessing music and music info on tv these days. The only justifiable reason to resurrect TOTP is for nostalgia sake and at the end of the day that isn't reason enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Music Week
                                                PLUGGER DYLAN WHITE’S
                                                CAMPAIGN to bring back Top of the
                                                Pops has moved forward, with the
                                                launch on an online petition
                                                demanding a “tween-friendly” time
                                                slot for the iconic show.
                                                White’s petition, one of a
                                                number calling for the programme
                                                to be reinstated on the television
                                                schedules, is unique as it specifically
                                                targets the music industry, but he
                                                also has plans to reach out to the
                                                public in the near future.
                                                The plugger gathered hundreds
                                                of signatures at the recent Music
                                                Week Awards and says that his bid
                                                to revive TOTP in a post-Blue Peter
                                                slot that appeals to a young
                                                audience was warmly received by
                                                the Grosvenor House crowd.
                                                He claims only a lack of
                                                resources prevented him from
                                                gathering more signatures. “On the
                                                night I had no problem getting
                                                people to sign it. I just ran out of
                                                time and clipboards to get round
                                                the whole room. I ended up with
                                                just under 500 signatures, which at
                                                least is a start,” he says. “A
                                                marketing executive said to me, ‘I
                                                see you’re targeting tweens’, which
                                                he then explained was the new
                                                phrase for eight- to 12-year-olds, to
                                                which I replied, ‘Exactly’ as this is
                                                the next generation discovering
                                                music.”
                                                White is also calling for the
                                                regular return of sister programme
                                                TOTP2, which currently appears
                                                sporadically on the schedules, most
                                                recently throughout 2008’s
                                                Christmas holiday period.
                                                “TOTP2 would, of course, be
                                                targeting ageing teenyboppers,
                                                punks, new romantics and, dare I
                                                say it, Britpoppers all now serving
                                                the tweens their tea but still loving
                                                music, old and new,” he adds.
                                                White, who runs Dylan White
                                                Promotion and Management, did
                                                not reveal who had signed his
                                                petition at the awards ceremony,
                                                although he says he has the support
                                                of some very high-profile executives.
                                                The petition is now online at
                                                http://www.gopetition.co.uk/online/27165.html and White is
                                                encouraging the rest of the music
                                                industry to get behind his crusade.
                                                “I’ve put the petition online for
                                                all of us in the industry to sign first
                                                before we go public, which we can
                                                do in due course,” he explains.
                                                The petition states, “We the
                                                undersigned would like to see
                                                TOTP brought back on BBC1 as a
                                                teatime kids programme aimed at
                                                readers of Top of the Pops magazine
                                                and listeners to the Radio One Top
                                                40 show.
                                                “We would also like to see
                                                TOTP2 brought back on BBC2 as
                                                an evening programme for adults
                                                featuring new artists alongside
                                                archive clips.”
                                                White’s efforts to revive TOTP
                                                have already seen him contact BBC
                                                Vision director Jana Bennett, the
                                                executive with overall creative
                                                responsibility for BBC1, BBC2,
                                                BBC3 and BBC4, who explained the
                                                Corporation’s plans for the iconic
                                                music show are not quite dead and
                                                buried. He has also received a letter
                                                of support from Culture Secretary
                                                Andy Burnham.
                                                “Once the tweens are in bed, the
                                                parents could enjoy a later evening
                                                TOTP2,” White says, adding that he
                                                estimates the combined weekly
                                                audience of the two shows at being
                                                between 4-6m if broadcast at his
                                                suggested times. “That is millions
                                                more than are currently being
                                                exposed to music on the BBC.”
                                                Since the BBC axed Top of the
                                                Pops in 2006, the iconic programme
                                                has returned for one-off specials,
                                                notably around Christmas and New
                                                Year last December.
                                                While the BBC has long resisted
                                                calls to bring the show back in a
                                                regular slot, Bennett explained to
                                                White in an email, “We are still
                                                considering occasional specials and
                                                our wider popular music strategy,
                                                so we will stay in touch.”

Comment

Originally posted by NME
                                                  Pet Shop Boys: 'Bring back Top Of The Pops'

Neil Tennant joins campaign for return of BBC music show

Pet Shop Boys frontman Neil Tennant has urged the BBC to bring back 'Top Of The Pops'.

The music TV show, which ran for 42 years, was axed in 2006.

"I don't see why Top Of The Pops isn't on," he said. "I think it's a shame. I think it was defeatist to get rid of it.

"I think it must be really strange to be a new artist. Like if JLS are Number One on Sunday, they won't have that great moment of being crowned that week's Kings Of Pop."

The Ting Tings have already campaigned for the show's return as has former Culture minister Andy Burnham.

Responding to Tennant's comments, a BBC spokesman said there were no plans to bring back the programme, reports BBC News.

"Top Of The Pops was decommissioned in 2006 as it became clear that the ever increasing competition from multimedia and niche musical outlets meant it no longer occupied the central role it once did," he said.

Comment

• Shitty excuse. Even if it's only at 10PM on BBC2 it should still be on. The charts are no longer represented by terrestrial TV. If we can have Jools Holland why can't we have TOTP?
                                                    Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X