No announcement yet.

Top Of The Pops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I couldn't find evidence for this online but i'm pretty sure that Hollies performance is exclusive to TOTP - not the 1969 record. It's either a live vocal or a new recording from scratch. As you could probably tell, there were a couple of members that would have been too young to appear on the 69 version.
    I think it was mentioned in the Top Of The Pops - Mishaps, Mimings and Music hardback by Ian Gittins. (it's at the bottom of my book shelf and i can't be bothered to check). EDIT: did a scan and can't find it mentioned - might have been TOTP2
    Last edited by Blondini; Fri November 1st, 2019, 21:29.
    Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (1st August 20) - Black Honey, Sylvan Esso, Flock Of Dimes, Zella Day, Tate McRae, Hurts, Wye Oak, Shlohmo, Sody and Cavetown, Billie Eilish, Kate Rusby, Tim Arnold, Taylor Swift, The Naked and Famous, John Foxx and The Maths, Clan Of Xymox, Dolly Parton, Jessy Lanza, Seasick Steve...

Comment

• I'm not sure if this was still the period when artists were only allowed either to perform live or to mime to
      a newly-recorded backing track (they weren't allowed just to mime to the already-recorded single itself) ?

Anyway, the second one tonight.....

22/09/88 (Presented by Nicky Campbell and Andy Crane)
      (09) Pet Shop Boys – “Domino Dancing”
      (03) Womack & Womack – “Teardrops”
      ( Charts 40 - 31 - Nicky Campbell / Andy Crane )
      (04) Bill Withers – “Lovely Day (Sunshine Mix)”
      - (30) Transvision Vamp – “Revolution Baby” (video clip)
      - (24) Whitney Houston – “One Moment In Time” (video clip)
      - (18) Bon Jovi – “Bad Medicine” (video clip)
      ( Charts 30 - 11 - Nicky Campbell / Andy Crane )
      (16) Rick Astley – “She Wants To Dance With Me”
      ( Charts 10 - 02 - Nicky Campbell / Andy Crane )
      (01) The Hollies – “He Ain’t Heavy He’s My Brother”
      (20) The Pasadenas – “Riding On A Train” (video/credits)

As Andy Crane mentioned, the original version of "Lovely Day" had peaked at number seven in 1978.
      The "Sunshine Mix" was already at its new, improved peak. I think it was claimed for a while that it
      includes the longest continuous note in a hit song, but perhaps this is no longer the case.

Whitney Houston was on the way to the third of her four number ones with "One Moment In Time" -
      but she wasn't going to directly replace the Hollies, something else would sneak in first.....

Counting down this week - the UKMixParade Top 200 of 2019

Comment

• The mime rule was out by this point, as it was a Union thing and by late 80's Thatcher had cut them down to size, even using Saville to do it!
        Wasn't the Hollies hit down to a Guinness advert?
        The song itself came from the boys home in America, which was used in the Cagney moive Boystown. The one where he breaks down in the electric chair at the end. The title being the motto of the home.
        Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!

Comment

• The Hollies re-issue was on the back of a Miller Lite advert. It’s amazing how many songs re-charted or even outperformed themselves in the 80s on the back of adverts. Adverts were the memes/Tik-Tok challenge of the day, even up until the late 00s in some cases.

I enjoy the Sunshine Mix of Lovely Day. A Groovy Kind Of Love has to be one of the most boring #1s for me.

Comment

• My husband is fuming. BBC4 is taken off our tv-package.
            Guess no more Top of the Pops for us.
            My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• The Bill Medley version was from Rambo III - pure coincidence that both came out at the same time. (unless Miller saw the film, similar to what seemed to have happened with the Stand By Me reissue?)
              Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (1st August 20) - Black Honey, Sylvan Esso, Flock Of Dimes, Zella Day, Tate McRae, Hurts, Wye Oak, Shlohmo, Sody and Cavetown, Billie Eilish, Kate Rusby, Tim Arnold, Taylor Swift, The Naked and Famous, John Foxx and The Maths, Clan Of Xymox, Dolly Parton, Jessy Lanza, Seasick Steve...

Comment

• Tonight:

29/09/88 (Presented by Gary Davies and Mark Goodier)
                (38) Sinitta – “I Don’t Believe In Miracles”
                (03) U2 – “Desire” (video)
                ( Charts 40 - 31 - Mark Goodier )
                (29) Hazell Dean – “Turn It Into Love”
                Breakers:
                - (24) Alexander O’Neal – “Fake ‘88” (video clip)
                - (20) Duran Duran – “I Don’t Want Your Love” (video clip)
                - (19) Erasure – “A Little Respect” (video clip)
                (08) Whitney Houston – “One Moment In Time” (video)
                ( Charts 30 - 11 - Mark Goodier )
                (28) Bananarama – “Love, Truth And Honesty”
                ( Charts 10 - 02 - Mark Goodier )
                (01) The Hollies – “He Ain’t Heavy He’s My Brother”
                (37) T’Pau – “Secret Garden” (video/credits)

There were more of the kind of singles I was buying in this edition than usual - the Stock/Aitken/Waterman
                productions sung by Sinitta, Hazell Dean, and Bananarama, plus the bigger hits from Whitney Houston and
                Erasure.

And we have yet another 1988 remake of an earlier hit - fifteen months earlier, the original version of "Fake"
                had spent just two weeks in the top forty, only reaching number 33. Now, this was the second of five weeks
                the new version stayed there - and it was about to climb to a peak of number 16.

Comment

• Very odd to have a number 37 hit as a playout on TOTP. Bobby McFerrin's video not available yet? They even chose this over Duran Duran! (Erasure would have been booked to appear in person, Duran were not appearing by this point, i think - Ordinary World was their comeback performance?)
                  Last edited by Blondini; Thu November 7th, 2019, 21:08.

Comment

• You could be right re "Ordinary World" - Duran Duran's next hit also seems to be seen only on video,
                    at the beginning of 1989, and I don't see any other upcoming inclusions from them. There's a bit
                    more of the current video tonight, though.....

06/10/88 (Presented by Simon Mayo and Richard Skinner)
                    (13) The Pasadenas – “Riding On A Train”
                    (11) Bobby McFerrin – “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” (video)
                    ( Charts 40 - 31 - Simon Mayo / Richard Skinner )
                    (17) The Wee Papa Girl Rappers – “Wee Rule”
                    Breakers:
                    - (36) Spear Of Destiny – “So In Love With You” (video clip)
                    - (35) The Beatmasters and PP Arnold – “Burn It Up” (video clip)
                    - (32) Kim Wilde – “Never Trust A Stranger” (video clip)
                    (12) Erasure – “A Little Respect”
                    ( Charts 30 - 11 - Simon Mayo / Richard Skinner )
                    (07) Rick Astley – “She Wants To Dance With Me”
                    ( Charts 10 - 02 - Simon Mayo / Richard Skinner )
                    (01) U2 – “Desire” (video)
                    (14) Duran Duran – “I Don’t Want Your Love” (video/credits)

Nothing to buy here - except the Erasure single, which was going on to be one of their seventeen top
                    ten hits, but not one of the five that reached the top five (two of them EPs). Wheatus would actually
                    peak higher with a cover version in 2001!

This seems to be Richard Skinner's first time presenting "Top Of The Pops" since 1985 - and he only
                    has one more after this. I thought he had left Radio One suddenly and unexpectedly in March 1986 -
                    but, of course, by this time, there were some presenters that weren't DJs there.....

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                      Just looked for the songs on Spotify. To my surprise Bill Medley's He Ain't Heavy... is not on Spotify.
                      I love that song!
                      "Complaining is an advertisement for stupidity"

Comment

• And the second show tonight.....

13/10/88 (Presented by Bruno Brookes and Gary Davies)
                        (16) The Beatmasters & PP Arnold – “Burn It Up”
                        (31) Sabrina – “All Of Me”
                        ( Charts 40 - 31 - Bruno Brookes )
                        (19) T’Pau – “Secret Garden”
                        Breakers:
                        - (29) Enya – “Orinoco Flow” (video clip)
                        - (21) The Christians – “Harvest For The World” (video clip)
                        - (20) D Mob featuring Gary Haisman – “We Call It Acieed” (video clip)
                        (15) Kim Wilde – “Never Trust A Stranger”
                        ( Charts 30 - 11 - Bruno Brookes )
                        (25) Sinitta – “I Don’t Believe In Miracles”
                        ( Charts 10 - 02 - Bruno Brookes )
                        (01) Whitney Houston – “One Moment In Time” (video)
                        (23) Bananarama – “Love, Truth & Honesty” (and credits)

Now Sabrina has linked up with Stock/Aitken/Waterman for a second UK hit - which I actually preferred
                        over "Boys"! But this follow-up is never ever heard nowadays - it was only going to climb to a peak of
                        number 25 in the following week. There were more of that trio's productions elsewhere in the line-up
                        this time - but the future number one wasn't any of them......

I think it might have been Jonathan King who said of the D Mob hit, or that type of music generally,
                        " They call it 'acieed' - I call it 'sheeeet'. "

Comment

• Tonight's first:

20/10/88 (Presented by Caron Keating and Steve Wright)
                          (03) D Mob featuring Gary Haisman – “We Call It Acieed” (video)
                          (09) The Christians – “Harvest For The World” (video)
                          ( Charts 40 - 31 - Caron Keating / Steve Wright )
                          (05) Enya – “Orinoco Flow”
                          Breakers:
                          - (29) Deacon Blue – “Real Gone Kid” (video clip)
                          - (20) Milli Vanilli – “Girl You Know It’s True” (video clip)
                          (04) Erasure – “A Little Respect”
                          ( Charts 30 - 11 - Caron Keating / Steve Wright )
                          (11) Kylie Minogue – “Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi”
                          ( Charts 10 - 01 - Caron Keating / Steve Wright )
                          (06) The Wee Papa Girl Rappers – “Wee Rule” (and credits)

The first edition co-presented by Caron Keating, who at this time also presented "Blue Peter" -
                          hence the opening quip "Here's a presenter I met earlier". She died in 2004, aged 41.

It's been noted elsewhere that it's most unusual for the programme to start with a video rather than
                          a performance - perhaps the band were expected to be in the studio instead, but couldn't make it?

It's even more unusual for Steve Wright to read any of the chart countdown - apparently these
                          segments were generally recorded in the afternoon, during the hours in which he would almost
                          always have been busy presenting his show on Radio One.

Erasure weren't exactly "live on this week's 'Top Of The Pops'" - it was a repeat of a perfomance
                          that had first been seen in an earlier edition.....

The Kylie Minogue singles were being released in pretty quick succession in 1988 - this one wasn't
                          really among my favourites, I think I waited for it to reach the bargain bins.

I later bought one single each by the two acts featured in this week's breakers, but not these songs!

Comment

• It looks like one of those editions where the presenters are in a different studio (or on a different day?) to the performances. The Enya one didn't look connected to the link to it - the fact they started with a video and followed with another.

We Call It Acieed was soon banned by Radio 1 along with every other acid house track.

Comment

• U2 Desire, one of the worst #1s of the decade.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blondini View Post
                                It looks like one of those editions where the presenters are in a different studio (or
                                on a different day?) to the performances. The Enya one didn't look connected to the link to it - the fact they started with a video and followed with another.
                                Yes, very likely. The Enya and Kylie performances could have been recorded earlier, in the reasonable
                                expectation that they would go on to become very big hits, while those of Erasure and Wee Papa Girl
                                Rappers were repeats from earlier programmes.

Originally posted by Blondini View Post
                                We Call It Acieed was soon banned by Radio 1 along with every other acid house track.
                                It continued to be played on Radio One's Sunday evening "Top 40" while fairly high in the chart -
                                but quite possibly never otherwise!

Tonight's second show.....

27/10/88 (Presented by Simon Mayo and Anthea Turner)
                                (10) Milli Vanilli – “Girl You Know It’s True”
                                (19) The Art Of Noise & Tom Jones – “Kiss”
                                ( Charts 40 - 31 - Simon Mayo / Anthea Turner )
                                (17) Royal House – “Can You Party?”
                                Breakers:
                                - (29) Tanita Tikaram – “Twist In My Sobriety” (video clip)
                                - (18) Robert Palmer – “She Makes My Day” (video clip)
                                - (11) Yazz – “Stand Up For Your Love Rights” (video clip)
                                ( Charts 30 - 11 - Simon Mayo / Anthea Turner )
                                (21) Deacon Blue – “Real Gone Kid”
                                ( Charts 10 - 02 - Simon Mayo / Anthea Turner )
                                (01) Enya – “Orinoco Flow” (video)
                                (14) The Beatmasters & PP Arnold – “Burn It Up” (video/credits)

Another debut, this time for someone that would continue to present regularly for the next two and a
                                half years and then later go on to present "Blue Peter". Anthea Turner was married to the former Radio
                                One DJ Peter Powell for much of the 1990s, but never presented on that station herself. Her Wikipedia
                                page somewhat tactfully says that "Turner's private life has led the tabloids to take a continuing
                                interest in her"
                                .....and then has four paragraphs explaining why.

Unfortunately, I can't currently locate the notes I made at the time of the original broadcast of this one -
                                but I suspect that they would confirm that the order shown above (as per the Popscene listing) is correct.
                                It felt as if something was edited from the opening link into Milli Vanilli - although it seemed unlikely that it
                                could have been anything other than the song title? - and out of it, with the breakers moved to before
                                "Kiss" in tonight's repeat in order to try to conceal this..... While I'm generally opposed to any kind of
                                editing, in this instance at least we might have been spared some of Anthea Turner's shouting. I hope it's
                                just an over-excited first-time - if not, she has the potential to be even more irritating than Nicky Campbell.

The highlight for me this time, of course, was Tanita Tikaram's second hit - which, as has been previously
                                mentioned, didn't go on to as much UK success as "Good Tradition" but was by far the more popular in
                                other countries.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                                  U2 Desire, one of the worst #1s of the decade.
                                  Absolutely - and, mercifully, one of the very quickest to arrive and disappear from the top forty
                                  ( 03 - 01 - 02 - 17 - 30 - 37 ).

Comment

• Originally posted by CZB View Post

It continued to be played on Radio One's Sunday evening "Top 40" while fairly high in the chart -
                                    but quite possibly never otherwise!

As you can see, they daren't even mention the titles a week later!

From Wikipedia:

Because the song seemed to be condoning drug use (despite Danny D's claim that the song was about the music and points that out in the lyrics; Poku also notes that he does not smoke, drink, or take drugs), in October 1988, the BBC removed the song from their playlists. The decision to ban the song came especially after Caron Keating and a smiley face T-shirted Steve Wright enthusiastically introduced the video for the song on the 20 October 1988 edition of Top of the Pops during an acid house backlash from tabloids, and this lead for an absence of acid house tracks on the show until "Stakker Humanoid" by Humanoid two months later.
                                    I don't think they ever technically banned an acid track from the top 40 countdown. Even Ebeneezer Goode continued to be played after a similar belated outcry from the tabloids after TOTP had already aired it.

So this edition also started with a controversial act - Milli Vanilli. After they had their Grammy removed numerous disgruntled customers sued them for falsehoods perpetrated at gigs and even the actual records. The gig one i get but the album is still the same music regardless of who is singing! Frank Farian did the same con-trick by making Boney M fans think Bobby Farrell was singing when he wasn't. This was only one member but the same con. EDIT: two members - Maizie Williams was a fake singer, too. It seems MV were simply victims of their own success. If the Grammy award never happened, the thing might never have blown up.

While it had never been a secret that Bobby Farrell never sang on the group's records (Farian did the male vocals in the studio), in 1978 it became public knowledge that Maizie Williams did not sing on the studio recordings either, since "her voice wasn't suited for this kind of music" as Farian stated in an interview with German teen magazine Bravo. Since this had become common practice within the disco genre of the late 1970s, few people cared – unlike when Farian did the same thing with Milli Vanilli in the late 1980s. While only two of Boney M.'s official members actually contributed to the band's records, all four members of the group, including Williams and Farrell, performed the vocals live at Boney M. concerts. The band's live sound was also augmented by several backing vocalists, which served to mitigate any vocal deficiencies the group may have had compared with the studio productions.
                                    Yes, Anthea's VERY excited here! But nobody could be as annoying as Nicky Campbell. He even admits it himself on Twitter.
                                    Last edited by Blondini; Fri November 15th, 2019, 22:43.

Comment

• It's been remembered and discovered elsewhere exactly what was edited out at the beginning of tonight's second episode:

.....the explanation being that the telephone number is apparently now used by a different organisation!

( They could have just "whited out" that part of the screen rather than making such a clunky edit, though! )

Comment

[b]13/10/88 (Presented by Bruno Brookes and Gary Davies)
                                        (16) The Beatmasters & PP Arnold – “Burn It Up”
                                        (19) T’Pau – “Secret Garden”
                                        The three best from this week, I didn’t know the Beatmasters or T’Pau songs before. PP Arnold getting her life on that stage, and notice how Bruno introduced T’Pau as the song and Secret Garden as the artist?

Comment

• The first of two tonight:

03/11/88 (Presented by Nicky Campbell and Mark Goodier)
                                          (24) Gloria Estefan & Miami Sound Machine – “1-2-3”
                                          (08) Robert Palmer – “She Makes My Day” (8)
                                          ( Charts 40 - 31 - Mark Goodier / Nicky Campbell )
                                          (26) Tanita Tikaram – “Twist In My Sobriety”
                                          Breakers:
                                          - (28) Bryan Ferry – “Let’s Stick Together” (video clip)
                                          - (17) Robin Beck – “The First Time” (video clip)
                                          (02) Kylie Minogue – “Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi” (video)
                                          ( Charts 30 - 11 - Mark Goodier / Nicky Campbell )
                                          (04) Yazz – “Stand Up For Your Love Rights”
                                          ( Charts 10 - 01 - Mark Goodier / Nicky Campbell )
                                          (01) Enya – “Orinoco Flow”
                                          (25) Guns N’ Roses – “Welcome To The Jungle” (video/credits)

Another future number one in tonight's line-up - unfortunately not Tanita Tikaram, but still
                                          a good song, heard in a well-known commercial of the era.....

Not much else i liked in this one - while I had bought the recent Yazz number one, I felt that
                                          the follow-up was more shouty and less tuneful. Maybe radio programmers nowadays think
                                          likewise - as I still hear "The Only Way Is Up" quite often, "Stand Up..." almost never! But it
                                          was going on to a number two peak in the UK, and indeed gave her a second number one in
                                          Ireland.
                                          Last edited by CZB; Fri November 22nd, 2019, 20:55.

Comment

• Another new presenter in the second show tonight:

10/11/88 (Presented by Bruno Brookes and Sybil Ruscoe)
                                            (08) Brother Beyond – “He Ain’t No Competition”
                                            (12) Bryan Ferry – “Let’s Stick Together” (video)
                                            ( Charts 40 - 31 - Bruno Brookes / Sybil Ruscoe )
                                            (05) Robin Beck – “The First Time”
                                            Breakers:
                                            - (22) Salt ‘N’ Pepa – “Twist & Shout” (video clip)
                                            -(18) INXS – “Need You Tonight” (video clip)
                                            (15) Chris De Burgh – “Missing You”
                                            ( Charts 30 - 11 - Bruno Brookes / Sybil Ruscoe )
                                            (10) Deacon Blue – “Real Gone Kid”
                                            ( Charts 10 - 01 - Bruno Brookes / Sybil Ruscoe )
                                            (01) Enya – “Orinoco Flow”
                                            ( Brief appearance by Donny Osmond )
                                            (26) Prince – “I Wish U Heaven” (video/credits)

I have absolutely no memory of Sybil Ruscoe, and would have probably have been equally unable
                                            to pick her out of a line-up then as now! I wondered if this was a one-off appearance for her -
                                            but no, she is back for six more programmes in 1989.

Another Irish number one in this edition - not surprisingly, Chris De Burgh's "Missing You", which
                                            was going to peak at number three in the UK.

Following what was apparently quite a backlash, the title of the D Mob featuring Gary Haisman hit
                                            continues to go deliberately unmentioned in tonight's episodes.....

The single just released by Donny Osmond wasn't going to reach the top forty, next week or ever -
                                            It ground to a halt at number 70.
                                            Last edited by CZB; Fri November 22nd, 2019, 22:35.

Comment

I have absolutely no memory of Sybil Ruscoe, and would have probably have been equally unable
                                              to pick her out of a line-up then as now! I wondered if this was a one-off appearance for her -
                                              but no, she is back for six more programmes in 1989.

Following what was apparently quite a backlash, the title of the D Mob featuring Gary Haisman hit
                                              continues to go deliberately unmentioned in tonight's episodes.....
                                              As does Acid Man by Jolly Roger. Till they both dropped off the chart.

I'd forgotten about Sybil Ruscoe but do remember her now as a sidekick on Simon Mayo's breakfast show. I don't remember the co-host of the next show - Susie Mathis. She was a BBC Radio Manchester presenter who had made the charts as a member of Paper Dolls in 1968. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susie_Mathis

The Robin Beck song is called First Time officially (as displayed on the sleeve and her subsequent album) but the UK single says The First Time on the label.
                                              https://www.discogs.com/Robin-Beck-F.../master/175751

She deserved more success - she had another hit in Europe with Save Up All Your Tears (later covered by Cher). But is unknown in her homeland the US. Maybe the Coke ad wasn't shown over there, unlike the famous I'd Like To Teach The World one.

Comment

• Seeing these dance performances, such as Royal House, makes me sad I missed the acid house era. What an exciting time for the charts, and to be a teenager.

Comment

• I notice Yazz had a few more top 20 hits but it’s a shame she couldn’t keep the momentum going into the 90s, great popstar. I haven’t heard anything from her outside of three big hits but I always imagined she would’ve done well with stuff like Don’t Worry by Kim Appleby.

Surprised to see that Tanita song didn’t even make it into the top 20, it feels much more well known than the chart position suggests.

Robin Beck’s next appearance would be 18 years later, just before the show ended! Shame she was a one-hit wonder, cracking voice.

JNSPP’s video was really high quality for the era, you can tell the label were heavily investing in Kylie by this point.

Great songs by INXS and especially Deacon Blue, Real Gone Kid would be in my top list of the decade.

Comment

• Well, Popscene had a very short listing for tonight's first show - so I wondered if perhaps, as had
                                                    happened very occasionally in the past, they had omitted the breakers or one or two singles.....

17/11/88 (Presented by Gary Davies and Susie Mathis)
                                                    (02) Yazz – “Stand Up For Your Love Rights”
                                                    ( Charts 40 - 31 - Gary Davies / Susie Mathis )
                                                    (29) All About Eve – “What Kind Of Fool”
                                                    (04) INXS – “Need You Tonight” (video)
                                                    ( Charts 30 - 11 - Gary Davies / Susie Mathis )
                                                    (28) Mica Paris – “Breathe Life Into Me”
                                                    (22) Tanita Tikaram – “Twist In My Sobriety”
                                                    ( Charts 10 - 02 - Gary Davies / Susie Mathis )
                                                    (01) Robin Beck – “The First Time”
                                                    (12) Salt ‘N’ Pepa – “Twist & Shout” (video/credits)

.....but no, that was the complete content - just seven songs and six links, three of them
                                                    including the chart countdown. Gary Davies should surely have been able to manage this one
                                                    on his own - rather than needing a new co-presenter! Hardly one of the new "younger" hosts
                                                    that might have been expected, Susie Mathis was forty-one years old at this time (just a few
                                                    months younger than Simon Bates!) and is now 75. Blondini has already mentioned probably
                                                    anything else that anybody might need to know about her, except that.....she is back for one
                                                    more edition, in early 1989.

"Save Up All Your Tears" was released in the UK as the follow-up to "(The) First Time" (I tend
                                                    to agree that the title shouldn't really include "The"!) but flopped. Its main success in continental
                                                    Europe was in Germany and Switzerland - in both of which it reached the top ten. But the only
                                                    other single from her in my collection was the one after that, which didn't quite get to the top
                                                    twenty in either of those countries, and didn't do anything anywhere else:

In the next post I'll reveal who else had a hit in the same countries with a cover version of the
                                                    same song a few years later.....

( Edit - I have just looked at the Wikipedia page Blondini linked, and it gives Susie Mathis's date
                                                    of birth as 29 April 1947 and 29 April 1944 - so, depending on which is right, she is now either
                                                    72 or 75, and either a few months younger or a few years older than Simon Bates! )
                                                    Last edited by CZB; Fri November 29th, 2019, 21:09.

Comment

• And Mathis (or the researcher) made an error calling First Time her first single. She actually made disco music back in 1979 and scored her only American chart entry on their club charts with this (verified as a UK release on Discogs):

Comment

• It might have been too obvious if I had mentioned that the other singer who charted in parts of
                                                        Europe with "Tears In The Rain" had also had a number one, and not very much else, in the UK.....

I should have checked earlier..... "Save Up All Your Tears" did achieve some sales in the UK,
                                                        it spent two weeks in the top 100 and peaked at number 84!

Tonight's second episode:

24/11/88 (Presented by Andy Crane and Simon Mayo)
                                                        (21) Tiffany – “Radio Romance”
                                                        (19) Bomb The Bass featuring Maureen – “I Say A Little Prayer”
                                                        ( Charts 40 - 31 - Simon Mayo / Andy Crane )
                                                        (08) Deacon Blue – “Real Gone Kid”
                                                        Breakers:
                                                        - (12) Michael Jackson – “Smooth Criminal” (video clip)
                                                        - (07) Pet Shop Boys – “Left To My Own Devices” (video clip)
                                                        - (06) Iron Maiden – “The Clairvoyant” (video clip)
                                                        (20) Bananarama – “Nathan Jones”
                                                        ( Charts 30 - 11 - Simon Mayo / Andy Crane )
                                                        (03) Chris De Burgh – “Missing You” (video)
                                                        ( Charts 10 - 01 - Simon Mayo / Andy Crane )
                                                        (01) Robin Beck – “The First Time”
                                                        (25) Hithouse – “Jack To The Sound Of The Underground” (video/credits)

All three of the "breakers" were already pretty high in the chart - but two would climb
                                                        to their peaks in the following week. Michael Jackson would go to number eight, and my
                                                        favourite this time from the Pet Shop Boys would rise to number four. The latest Iron
                                                        Maiden hit, however, would rapidly sink to 20, 39 and out of the top forty three weeks
                                                        later. By this point, chart watchers could probably have seen this sort of quick descent
                                                        and exit coming for that group's singles!

Among other acts following up number ones in this edition, Tiffany would get a fourth
                                                        and final top twenty entry, peaking at number thirteen. Since her previous three bigger
                                                        hits, she had missed the top forty by twelve places with "Feelings of Forever" - and a
                                                        few months later, "All This Time" would grind to a halt at 47. Neither of those ring even
                                                        the slightest of bells with me.....

Comment

• 3 very brief "breakers" between 6 and 12. Pointless. They should have aired some of Sigue Sigue Sputnik (their best single) last week as well as Maiden.

Another presenter correction: Humanoid (act) and Stakker Humanoid (track). There's a complicated history behind the artist and track name but on white labels it was initially called Humanoid by Stakker. And club shows on Radio 1 had called it this for weeks so that explains the error. Humanoid being Brian Dougan who later was one half of The Future Sound Of London. Thankfully it didn't have acid in the title (the main sample is from a video game called Berzerk)!
                                                          I bought my first batch of singles 31 years ago with my birthday money. Erasure's Crackers International EP (brand new), Humanoid's Stakker Humanoid and Londonbeat's 9AM (The Comfort Zone). (though i'd already bought Whitesnake's album that January on cassette, i've not revisited that as much as those vinyl singles)
                                                          Last edited by Blondini; Fri November 29th, 2019, 22:40.

Comment

• It’s at this point that the breakers segment is starting to feel slightly irrelevant - when did it disappear?

That Tiffany song was crap. Never heard it before. Bananarama also beginning to hit the skids (excuse the pun) musically now too.

Comment

Working...
                                                            X