Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Top Of The Pops

Still behind...

That Marillion performance! I love Lavender, always reminds me of Nighty Night.

Comment

When does Mike Smith disappear? I’m getting fed up of them jumping so many weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller
        When does Mike Smith disappear? I’m getting fed up of them jumping so many weeks.
        Unfortunately, he continued to be a regular presenter - indeed, I would say, probably more regular than many of the others - for another two and a quarter years. This will mean that sixteen episodes from 1986, another sixteen from 1987 and four from the first three months of 1988 can't be repeated.

Counting down this week - the UKMixParade Top 200 of 2019

Comment

• So . . . . . passing by another of the Mike Smith shows, tonight we reach episode 1141 :

16/01/86 (Presented by Dixie Peach and Mike Read)
          (17) Fine Young Cannibals – “Suspicious Minds”
          (04) Dire Straits – “Walk Of Life” (video)
          (06) Cherrelle & Alexander O’Neal – “Saturday Love”
          Philip Lynott - "Yellow Pearl" (with various British Record Industry Awards Video of 1985 nominations)
          (02) A-ha – “The Sun Always Shines On TV”
          ( Charts 40 -11 - Mike Read / Dixie Peach )
          (08) Mr Mister – “Broken Wings”
          ( Charts 10 - 01 - Mike Read / Dixie Peach )
          (01) Pet Shop Boys – “West End Girls” (video)
          (03) Bronski Beat – “Hit That Perfect Beat” (audience dancing/credits)

No "breakers" this week, unusually - indeed, only one hit not already in the top ten was featured ! - although this section will be back next week, and in most (but not all) other weeks of 1986.

"Walk Of Life" had previously been the B-side of "So Far Away", which peaked at number 20 for Dire Straits - but now it was already at number four, and would climb two more places to the runner-up spot, caught behind "The Sun Always Shines On TV". Mike Read was correct in predicting that would get to number one for A-ha !

Comment

• The 30 minute episodes were criticised at the time. I have come across a reader's letter in the Number One Magazine (issue 139) complaining about the reduced episodes of Top of The Pops. Plus cutting the front of the A-Ha video!
            Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!

Comment

• Two weeks later (and two hours later than usual on BBC FOUR tonight), episode 1143:

30/01/86 (Presented by Gary Davies & Janice Long)
              (06) Billy Ocean – “When The Going Gets Tough The Tough Get Going”
              (04) Madonna – “Borderline” (video)
              (22) Talk Talk – “Life’s What You Make It”
              ( Charts 40 - 11 - Gary Davies / Janice Long )
              Breakers:
              - (19) James Brown – “Living In America” (video clip)
              - (17) Simple Minds – “Sanctify Yourself” (video clip)
              (15) Grace Jones – “Pull Up To The Bumper” (video)
              (08) Fine Young Cannibals – “Suspicious Minds”
              ( Charts 10 - 01 - Gary Davies / Janice Long )
              (01) A-ha – “The Sun Always Shines On TV” (video)
              (30) Kurtis Blow – “If I Ruled The World” (audience dancing/credits)

The playout track spent five weeks in the top forty, peaking at number 24 - but I had absolutely no recollection of this one at all . . . . .

I don't think the double-A-side of "Pull Up To The Bumper", "La Vie En Rose", got much UK radio airplay - but two and a half years earlier it had peaked at number four in its own right in the Netherlands ( in the same weeks as one of my all-time favourite singles, a flute concerto composed in the early nineteenth century, was at number one there! )

https://www.top40.nl/top40/1983/week-35

Comment

You are right about the Grace Jones track. I never heard it played, even on Radio Hallam. They only played Pull Up To The Bumper. At the time I remember thinking why was this old track doing back in the chart? Radio of course knows what it likes and putting the more commercial track as an A side killed any chances of the other record getting airplay.

The A-ha video starts really good, with a sort of continuation of the narrative from the Take One Me video. Where Morten turns back into the drawing. Or perhaps it was before? Never quite certain on that one. However the rest of the video is just the band playing in black and white with a bunch of store dummies! Don't get the concept of that.

The 1986 chart I put on blog yesterday is the following week showing the effect of these Top of The Pops performances. If they put two on next week they will jump ahead of the blog. Or if the miss any several weeks ahead.

Comment

• Tonight, as part of a "Mick Jagger night", probably the oldest edition of "Top Of The Pops" that BBC FOUR have ever shown:

27-12-71 (Presented by Tony Blackburn)
                  (-) T-REX – Get It On
                  (-) THE TAMS – Hey Girl Don’t Bother Me
                  (01) BENNY HILL – Ernie (The Fastest Milkman In The West) (video)
                  (14) SLADE – Coz I Luv You
                  (-) GEORGE HARRISON – My Sweet Lord (danced to by Pan’s People)
                  (-) THE ROLLING STONES – Brown Sugar
                  (-) ASHTON, GARDNER & DYKE – Resurrection Shuffle
                  (-) DIANA ROSS – I’m Still Waiting (video)
                  (-) THE NEW SEEKERS – Never Ending Song Of Love

(35) ROD STEWART – Maggie May

I was just seven years old when this one first aired, and didn't start buying records until around this time in 1978 - so the only one here that I bought, following the much later death of its performer, was "Ernie...".

Among several repeats here of performances from the weekly shows, the closing one was famous for including John Peel as one of the backing instrumentalists.

The only scheduled broadcast of a (hopefully) unedited version is at ten past three this coming morning !

Comment

• Back to 1986 tonight, and episode 1144 :

06/02/86 (Presented by Simon Bates and Paul Jordan)
                    (18) The Damned – “Eloise”
                    (06) Five Star – “System Addict” (video)
                    (21) Ozzy Osbourne – “Shot In The Dark”
                    ( Charts 40 - 11 - Simon Bates / Paul Jordan )
                    Breakers:
                    - (25) Belouis Some – “Imagination” (video clip)
                    - (20) Public Image Ltd – “Rise” (video clip)
                    - (19) Whitney Houston – “How Will I Know?” (video clip)
                    (14) Double – “The Captain Of Her Heart”
                    ( Charts 10 - 01 - Simon Bates / Paul Jordan )
                    (01) Billy Ocean – “When The Going Gets Tough The Tough Get Going” (video)
                    (08) James Brown – “Living In America” (audience dancing/credits)

For me, the best of this bunch was the rare appearance of a Swiss act in the UK chart - the duo Double. According to Wikipedia, their name should be pronounced "doo-blay", but I'm sure I most often heard it as "doo-bleh". This single would climb to a peak of number eight a week later - but a follow-up would only reach number 71.

We were told during the chart rundown that Diana Ross married in this week of 1986 - Wikipedia elaborates as follows:

Ross met her second husband, Norwegian shipping magnate Arne Næss Jr., in 1985, and married him the following year. She became stepmother to his three elder children; Katinka, Christoffer, and folk singer Leona Naess. They have two sons together: Ross Arne (born in 1987) and Evan Olav (born in 1988). Ross and Næss divorced in 2000, after press reports revealed that Naess had fathered a child with another woman in Norway. Ross considers Næss the love of her life. Næss was later killed in a South African mountain climbing accident in 2004. Ross remains close with her three ex-stepchildren.

Comment

• Tonight, episode 1145 :

13/02/86 (Presented by Gary Davies and Steve Wright)
                      (22) Belouis Some – “Imagination”
                      (10) Whitney Houston – “How Will I Know?” (video)
                      (24) Latin Quarter – “Radio Africa”
                      (09) Su Pollard – “Starting Together” (video)
                      ( Charts 40 - 11 - Gary Davies )
                      Breakers:
                      - (25) Paul Hardcastle & Carol Kenyon – “Don’t Waste My Time” (video clip)
                      - (15) Survivor – “Burning Heart” (video clip)
                      - (14) Diana Ross – “Chain Reaction” (video clip)
                      (23) Shakin’ Stevens – “Turning Away”
                      ( Charts 10 - 01 - Gary Davies )
                      (01) Billy Ocean – “When The Going Gets Tough The Tough Get Going”
                      (02) Madonna – “Borderline” (audience dancing/credits)

Quite a few songs in this edition that, as the presenters observed, had taken a while to become big hits !

Su Pollard would have been well-known for playing the role of Peggy in "Hi-De-Hi". Her only major hit was written by former "That's Life" presenter Bill Buckley and was the theme from perhaps one of the first "reality tv" shows - the six-part "The Marriage", featuring the months leading up to the wedding of Marc and Karen Adams-Jones. I had forgotten that they appeared with Su in specially shot-scenes as part of the video - as well as being in clips from the series included in it.

Comment

I have posted the Real Chart on my blog that matches up that chart used by TOTP and calculated the following chart from the effect of this show. If I remember the details correctly then Diana Ross hit the top and knocked Billy to 3 and Sue went to number two.
                        Oddly the Network Chart had Sue a lot lower down the charts then both the Gallup and Real Charts.
                        Though Radio Africa had been in the Gallup charts a good few week before gaining the TOTP coverage. On the Real Chart it had only just shot up from 91 to 30 when it was 24 on the Gallup Chart. This to me means that the record was hyped into the Gallup and Network Charts and didn't start really selling till it made the Gallup Top 40, which was broadcast by Radio One. A total of 9 weeks in the Gallup charts without notching hardly any actual sales at all.

Other records which are dodgy from the same Gallup chart broadcast that week.
                        4 - 53 - 60 - Ladies Choice - FUNKY SENSATION
                        05 - 79 - 67 - Drum Theatre - LIVING IN THE PAST
                        10 - 64 - 71 - Masquerade - ONE NATION

Comment

• Tonight, episode 1146 - another one without a "breakers" section :

20/02/86 (Presented by Janice Long and Mike Read)
                          (13) Paul Hardcastle and Carol Kenyon – “Don’t Waste My Time”
                          (04) Diana Ross – “Chain Reaction” (video)
                          (23) Depeche Mode – “Stripped”
                          (08) Survivor – “Burning Heart” (video)
                          ( Charts 40 - 11 - Janice Long / Mike Read )
                          (11) Public Image Ltd – “Rise”
                          ( Charts 10 - 01 - Janice Long / Mike Read )
                          (03) The Damned – “Eloise” (audience dancing/credits)

On its way to number one, "Chain Reaction" was the only one I liked from this bunch.

It was mentioned more that once that it was Carol Kenyon singing the opening number - but this isn't recognised as one of her chart appearances on the Official Chart website. Although the sleeve of the record does have a footnote "Lead Vocals: Carol Kenyon", its label doesn't mention her at all. Indeed, it says there (below the main PAUL HARDCASTLE credit) "Produced, Written & Performed by Paul Hardcastle".

Comment

• Tonight, episode 1147 :

27/02/86 (Presented by Paul Jordan and Steve Wright)
                            (07) Sigue Sigue Sputnik – “Love Missile F1-11”
                            (19) Talking Heads – “And She Was” (video)
                            (27) Audrey Hall – “One Dance Won’t Do”
                            ( Charts 40 - 11 - Paul Jordan )
                            (24) Alexander O’Neal – “If You Were Here Tonight”
                            Breakers:
                            - (26) Kate Bush – “Hounds Of Love” (video clip)
                            - (25) Tavares – “Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel” (video clip)
                            (10) Bangles – “Manic Monday”
                            ( Charts 10 - 01 - Paul Jordan )
                            (01) Billy Ocean – “When The Going Gets Tough The Tough Get Going” (video)
                            (29) Colonel Abrams – “I’m Not Gonna Let You” (audience dancing/credits)

I bought three of these - the hit by Tavares which had already done very well in the previous decade, the first Sigue Sigue Sputnik release (although I thought two of their later singles were better), and what became one of the Bangles' biggest hits. At the time, I believe I thought "Manic Monday" had a better chance of going on to number one than "Love Missile..." - but it wasn't to be for either of them.

It looked as if something had to be edited out between the breakers and the Bangles, but I don't know what it could have been . . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by CZB
                              Tonight, episode 1145 :

13/02/86 (Presented by Gary Davies and Steve Wright)
                              (22) Belouis Some – “Imagination”
                              (10) Whitney Houston – “How Will I Know?” (video)
                              (24) Latin Quarter – “Radio Africa”
                              (09) Su Pollard – “Starting Together” (video)
                              ( Charts 40 - 11 - Gary Davies )
                              Breakers:
                              - (25) Paul Hardcastle & Carol Kenyon – “Don’t Waste My Time” (video clip)
                              - (15) Survivor – “Burning Heart” (video clip)
                              - (14) Diana Ross – “Chain Reaction” (video clip)
                              (23) Shakin’ Stevens – “Turning Away”
                              ( Charts 10 - 01 - Gary Davies )
                              (02) Madonna – “Borderline” (audience dancing/credits)

Quite a few songs in this edition that, as the presenters observed, had taken a while to become big hits !

Su Pollard would have been well-known for playing the role of Peggy in "Hi-De-Hi". Her only major hit was written by former "That's Life" presenter Bill Buckley and was the theme from perhaps one of the first "reality tv" shows - the six-part "The Marriage", featuring the months leading up to the wedding of Marc and Karen Adams-Jones. I had forgotten that they appeared with Su in specially shot-scenes as part of the video - as well as being in clips from the series included in it.
                              Only got here because I searched "su pollard ukmix" on Google. I am so surprised about how the hell a #2 song could be so forgotten. You see, Starting Together has so few listeners on last.fm, and she has so few listeners that one of her related artists on last.fm is some novelty act that almost no one has heard of.
                              My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcr4ZT ... 8X1VrJlr0g

Comment

• ^ If it was a "novelty act", I may well have heard of it !

By episode 1148, tonight, "Starting Together" was on the way down . . . . .

06/03/86 (Presented by Gary Davies and Dixie Peach)
                                (25) Mike & The Mechanics – “Silent Running (On Dangerous Ground)”
                                (12) Tavares – “Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel” (video, and chart 40 - 11 - Gary Davies )
                                (18) Kate Bush – “Hounds Of Love”
                                (10) Frank Sinatra – “Theme From New York New York” (live clip)
                                (16) Jim Diamond – “Hi Ho Silver”
                                Breakers:
                                - (29) Mr Mister – “Kyrie” (video clip)
                                - (27) Prince – “Kiss” (video clip)
                                (14) Whistle – “(Nothing Serious) Just Buggin’”
                                ( Charts 10 - 01 - Dixie Peach / Gary Davies )
                                (01) Diana Ross – “Chain Reaction” (video)
                                (11) Huey Lewis & The News – “Power Of Love” (video/audience dancing/credits)

Another short-lived innovation arrived this week - for the first of just seven weeks (three of which we'll not see) most of the top forty numbers and artists are rolled over the video of one of the hits. I think this would have been okay if the music had continued uninterrupted - indeed, I recall a 1990's German television chart show (on RTL2, I think) which displayed the top 100 countdown, one hit at a time, at the bottom of the screen while a selection of videos played on the rest of of it - but unfortunately here they had one of the presenters reading out the titles and acts of hits heading in the right direction, without mentioning the others at all ! Far too confusing for viewers to easily take in, I think.

Frank Sinatra achieved a top ten this week at the age of seventy - not many other acts can have reached the top ten in the UK while older than this. One who did at the end of 2017, however - and for the first time ever ! - was 73-year-old Brenda Lee, with "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree".

Comment

• Originally posted by CZB
                                  ^ If it was a "novelty act", I may well have heard of it !

No I'm serious.

https://www.last.fm/music/Su+Pollard
                                  My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcr4ZT ... 8X1VrJlr0g

Comment

• Tonight, episode 1150 :

20/03/86 (Presented by Simon Bates and Janice Long)
                                    (05) Jim Diamond – “Hi Ho Silver”
                                    (13) The Rolling Stones – “Harlem Shuffle” (video and charts 40 -11 - Janice Long / Simon Bates )
                                    ( Radio One's newest recruit, Simon Mayo, is introduced )
                                    (21) Pet Shop Boys – “Love Comes Quickly”
                                    Breakers:
                                    - (36) Stevie Wonder – “Overjoyed” (video clip)
                                    - (34) Siouxsie & The Banshees – “Candyman” (video clip)
                                    (04) Cliff Richard & The Young Ones – “Living Doll” (video)
                                    (19) The Real Thing – “You To Me Are Everything”
                                    ( Charts 10 - 01 - Janice Long / Simon Bates )
                                    (01) Diana Ross – “Chain Reaction” (video)
                                    (15) Mr Mister – “Kyrie” (video/audience dancing/credits)

- Only just arriving at Radio One, Simon Mayo was promoted to the breakfast show not much more than two years later. . . . .

- By now, complaints were surely flooding in about this really dreadful new approach to the 40-11 part of the chart countdown.

- Not hard to predict what was about to replace Diana Ross at number one !

Comment

• Tonight, episode 1152 :

03/04/86 (Presented by Janice Long and John Peel)
                                      (20) Big Audio Dynamite – “E=MC²”
                                      (04) George Michael – “A Different Corner” (video)
                                      (23) A-ha – “Train Of Thought”
                                      ( Interview with Paul Hardcastle, performer of the new theme tune ! )
                                      (05) The Real Thing – “You To Me Are Everything”
                                      ( Charts 40 - 11 - Janice Long / John Peel )
                                      (10) Falco – “Rock Me Amadeus”
                                      ( Charts 10 - 01 - Janice Long / John Peel )
                                      (01) Cliff Richard & The Young Ones – “Living Doll” (video)
                                      (27) The Style Council – “Have You Ever Had It Blue?” (video/audience dancing/credits)

- The new theme tune, "The Wizard", also used for the chart countdowns, has now arrived !

- Two future number ones ( and a past one ! ) among this week's line up.

- As I type, I'm wondering whether the little superscript "2" I found elsewhere and included in the title of the opening number will display properly . . . . .

Comment

• ( Interview with Paul Hardcastle, performer of the new theme tune ! )
                                        I remember TOTP trying to push it towards commercial relevance.
                                        Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

I’m a few behind, but I’m loving the Billy Ocean video with Kathleen, Danny and Michael on backing vocals and dancing - never seen that before

Paul Hardcastle’s new one is pretty cool actually. I’m surprised by how fast West End Girls plummeted after its #1 spell while other tracks hung around for ages, stocking issues?

Comment

West End Girls had been in the charts for many weeks, so the record dealers would simply stop stocking it. As a result it would fall off.

The Cliff record was the biggest selling number one of the year so far on Gallup's figures.

Comment

That Big Audio Dynamite is sampled in Song 4 Mutya right? If not, they ripped it right off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller
                                                That Big Audio Dynamite is sampled in Song 4 Mutya right? If not, they ripped it right off.
                                                Well I think they would have got away with NOT paying for it. It's not actually using the tune itself.

I always thought B A D were copying Squeeze anyway with that song.

Comment

• From tonight's episode (1154) onwards it was, as often as not, a return to just one single presenter . . . . . .

17/04/86 (Presented by Gary Davies)
                                                  (10) Big Country – “Look Away”
                                                  (03) Falco – “Rock Me Amadeus” (video and charts 40 - 11 )
                                                  (08) A-ha – “Train Of Thought”
                                                  Breakers:
                                                  - (27) Suzanne Vega – “Marlene On The Wall” (video clip)
                                                  - (26) Grange Hill Cast – “Just Say No” (video clip)
                                                  (16) Janet Jackson – “What Have You Done For Me Lately?” (video)
                                                  (28) It’s Immaterial – “Driving Away From Home (Jim’s Tune)”
                                                  ( Charts 10 - 01 )
                                                  (01) George Michael – “A Different Corner”
                                                  (33) Whitney Houston – “The Greatest Love Of All” (video/audience dancing/credits)

. . . . . unfortunately, that single presenter was Mike Smith on about as many occasions as all of the others combined! This week, Gary Davies at least read out all of the acts charting, albeit tending not to mention the titles of the hits on the way down, during the Falco video - but "normal service" was soon to be resumed.

I don't recall ever being previously aware of the subtitle of the It's Immaterial hit - but it seems that " (Jim's Tune)" does indeed appear on the sleeve and label of the 7" and 12" single releases. There was also, interestingly, a 3-inch mini-CD single version - surely a relatively new innovation at that time - made available in 1988.

Comment

• Tonight, episode 1155:

24/04/86 (Presented by Janice Long and Dixie Peach)
                                                    (17) The SOS Band – “The Finest”
                                                    (05) Grange Hill Cast – “Just Say No” (video)
                                                    (08) Five Star – “Can’t Wait Another Minute”
                                                    ( Chart 40 - 11 - Janice Long / Dixie Peach )
                                                    Breakers:
                                                    - (26) Princess – “I’ll Keep On Loving You” (video clip)
                                                    - (23) Level 42 – “Lessons In Love” (video clip)
                                                    - (10) Madonna – “Live To Tell” (video clip)
                                                    (20) Aurra – “You & Me Tonight”
                                                    ( Chart 10 - 01 - Dixie Peach / Janice Long )
                                                    (01) George Michael – “A Different Corner” (video)
                                                    (03) Queen – “A Kind Of Magic” (video/audience dancing/credits)

I don't recall ever knowing that the initials of the opening act stood for "Sounds Of Success" ! I'm not sure that they were ever credited that way on any of their UK hits.

Despite being a big climber to number five this week, the Grange Hill single was not going to go any higher . . . . .

That other approach to doing the 40-11 part of the chart has now finally been abandoned - from this week onwards it's back to normal (with, of course, "The Wizard" replacing "Yellow Pearl" as the backing track!).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X