Top Of The Pops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Madgefan View Post
    A question for all the TOTP's experts. I just wanted to ask did Michael Jackson ever appear on the show ? I can only ever remember video appearances when I used to watch as a teen.
    Yes there's a video of him singing Rocking Robin live on the show!
    Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham76man View Post
      I must admit, that's the only one I could remember too! There may be few or no
      others - I don't recall him ever appearing to perform any of his later solo hits.

Tonight:

03/03/88 (Presented by Gary Davies and Simon Mayo)
      (09) Coldcut featuring Yazz & The Plastic Population – “Doctorin’ The House”
      (04) Rick Astley – “Together Forever” (video)
      ( Charts 40 - 31 - Simon Mayo )
      (13) The Sisters Of Mercy – “Dominion”
      Breakers
      :
      - (17) Belinda Carlisle – “I Get Weak” (video clip)
      - (32) Johnny Hates Jazz – “Heart Of Gold” (video clip)
      - (28) Taja Sevelle – “Love Is Contagious” (video clip)
      - (33) Aztec Camera – “How Men Are” (video clip)
      (20) Erasure – “Ship Of Fools”
      ( Charts 30 - 11- Simon Mayo )
      (19) Derek B – “Goodgroove”
      ( Charts 10 - 01 - Simon Mayo )
      (01) Kylie Minogue – “I Should Be So Lucky” (BBC video)

(16) Mel & Kim – “That’s The Way It Is” (video/credits)

I didn't recall this Aztec Camera single at all - perhaps because it only spent four weeks in the top forty (33-25-26-35). But I hadn't remembered either that the breakers went into a random order in early 1988, and continued this way for about eight months. At that point, they returned to the previous (and much more logical) ascending order.

Counting down this week - the UKMixParade Top 200 of 2019

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham76man View Post
        Thanks Graham A bit before my time(I existed, just ), so probably why I never saw him perform on the show when he was an adult.
        It might sound like I'm an unapologetic bitch
        But sometimes you know I gotta call it like it is

Comment

• He also appeared on the 1977 Jacksons - Show Me The Way and also Destiny in 1979.
          After that he could get away with sending videos. He did send some exclusive messages, but they were on video too.
          Elvis was the only major star never to appear in the flesh on TOTP.

Comment

• Just caught up with the last half a dozen episodes. 1988 really was the explosion of teen pop from the first week! I've also noticed that this is where songs are starting to enter in a high position rather than climb up the charts, i.e. Bomb The Bass straight in at #5.

Tiffany sounded dreadful live on the US TOTP.

House Arrest by Krush is a tune! Interesting to find out one of the producers, Mark Brydon, went on to be half of Moloko.

Awful miming skills from Matt Goss

I actually don't hate that Dollar cover of Erasure but I had no idea the Erasure version flopped originally!

Shame we missed two weeks - I wanted to see Kylie's first ever mention at #31. She has since commented on how she hated making that special video in Australia because her hair was all over the place in the car scenes

Joe Le Taxi really is a dreadful song.

That Taja Sevelle song sounds familiar but I feel like I recognise her voice more from a sample?

I thought I remembered MJ on TOTP in the mid 90s from his You Are Not Alone/Earth Song era but I'm probably mistaken. I'm guessing his only UK performance around that time was the BRITs.

Comment

• Tonight:

17/03/88 (Presented by Gary Davies and Mike Read)
              (17) Bros – “Drop The Boy”
              (12) Heart – “These Dreams” (video)
              ( Charts 40 - 31 - Mike Read )
              (06) Erasure – “Ship Of Fools”
              Breakers
              :
              - (30) Sinitta – “Cross My Broken Heart” (video clip)
              - (29) Simon Harris – “Bass (How Low Can You Go)” (video clip)
              - (31) Keith Sweat – “I Want Her” (video clip)
              - (27) David Lee Roth – “Just Like Paradise” (video clip)
              (20) Eighth Wonder – “I’m Not Scared”
              ( Charts 30 - 11 - Mike Read )
              (04) Aswad – “Don’t Turn Around”
              ( Charts 10 - 01 - Mike Read )
              (01) Kylie Minogue – “I Should Be So Lucky” (video)
              (13) Eric B & Rakim – “I Know You Got Soul” (video/credits)

The highlight by a long way this week - "I'm Not Scared", sung by Patsy Kensit and written - according to
              Wikipedia, "unmistakably", by Pet Shop Boys Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe. On its way to a number seven
              peak in the UK, it went higher in several other European countries. Just one more top twenty hit - which I
              don't remember at all! - would follow here a few months later. Patsy Kensit went on to become probably
              much more well-known as an actress, and was married and divorced four times.....

Comment

• I remember I absolutely hated that Taja Sevelle song, it was so incredibly repetitious.

I've been Sky+'ing these so got a few to catch up on now But it is really weird seeing songs that were part of growing up that are now part of music history.

17/3/88 for me is a pretty strong episode. Quite a few tracks I liked then and still do.

Bros - One of their songs I really liked at the time. No I wasn't a Brosette though

Heart - video clip but a great song.
                Erasure - another of their classic songs.
                OK Sinitta -- I did love this at the time , not so much now

Patsy Kensit in Eighth Wonder I still remember that performance , she was always very 'sultry' is the best word I think. Listening to it now it very much has that Pet Shop Boys feel to it.

Aswad - Really great version of the song. I also like the Ace of Base cover.

Kylie - What can we say .. this is where it all started on the UK charts. The song was OK but it was her 'Neighbours' stardom that helped propel it to Number 1. Looking back now it's so 'squeaky clean' which I suppose was her image as Charlene in Neighbours. And yes, I did buy it

Comment

• Tonight:

24/03/88 (Presented by Simon Bates and Peter Powell)
                  (14) Sinitta – “Cross My Broken Heart”
                  (18) A-ha – “Stay On These Roads”
                  ( Charts 40 - 31 - Peter Powell / Simon Bates )
                  (16) Simon Harris – “Bass (How Low Can You Go)”
                  Breakers:
                  - (25) Wet Wet Wet – “Temptation” (video clip)
                  - (22) Debbie Gibson – “Only In My Dreams” (video clip)
                  - (26) Climie Fisher – “Love Changes (Everything)” (video clip)
                  - (04) Iron Maiden – “Can I Play With Madness?” (video)
                  ( Charts 30 - 11 - Peter Powell / Simon Bates )
                  (05) Tiffany – “Could’ve Been” (video)
                  ( Charts 10 - 02 - Peter Powell / Simon Bates )
                  (01) Aswad – “Don’t Turn Around”
                  (15) Whitney Houston – “Where Do Broken Hearts Go?” (video/credits)

Probably the best one of 1988 so far for me - despite some of the other featured hits not being to
                  my tastes at all, I bought those by Sinitta, A-ha, Debbie Gibson and the follow-up to the recent
                  number one by Tiffany. I preferred "Could've Been" over "I Think We're Alone Now" - and although
                  it ground to a halt at number four in the UK, it gave her a second chart-topper in the US, Canada
                  and Ireland.

Comment

• Loved seeing Tiffany singing Could've Been live. I love that song so much. Is that really the video though? I thought it was done especially for TOTP with those London scenes and it being live.

And it's always great to see Debbie Gibson of course. Only In My Dreams is such a classic.
                    My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• By this time the BBC and other stations were using NICAM stereo on transmissions, but I checked the sound on the 17 March episode and it was clearly mono.

The actual number ones in the UK were
                      Belinda 1 week
                      Tiffany 2 weeks
                      Bros 1 week
                      Kylie 6 weeks
                      Change Tiffany 2 weeks - No Aswad
                      Pet Shop Boys - Heart!

Comment

• Quite a few rubbish songs in the charts at the moment - not a fan of that A-Ha song especially and no wonder I’d never heard of Drop The Boy by Bros! Eighth Wonder definitely a highlight.

Could’ve Been is a new one to my ears, in fact I don’t know any Tiffany songs bar ITWAN. Her career was so short-lived!

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post

Could’ve Been is a new one to my ears, in fact I don’t know any Tiffany songs bar ITWAN. Her career was so short-lived!
                          Tiffany also had hits in the UK with I Saw Him Standing There (Beatles cover) and Radio Romance (from her second album).

Comment

Quite a few rubbish songs in the charts at the moment - not a fan of that A-Ha song especially and no wonder I’d never heard of Drop The Boy by Bros! Eighth Wonder definitely a highlight.

I loved that A-Ha song back then, I would even have called it one of their most memorable, so slightly surprised you aren't keen on it

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                              Tiffany also had hits in the UK with I Saw Him Standing There (Beatles cover) and Radio Romance (from her second album).
                              Yep but disappeared almost exactly a year since her debut! She’s lucky ITWAN is so memorable... her career was shorter than Lolly’s

Comment

• Originally posted by Madgefan View Post
                                I loved that A-Ha song back then, I would even have called it one of their most memorable, so slightly surprised you aren't keen on it

It bored me!

Comment

• I love me some a-ha, but Stay On These Roads is not a favorite of mine either.

Comment

Yep but disappeared almost exactly a year since her debut! She’s lucky ITWAN is so memorable... her career was shorter than Lolly’s
                                    Her latest album is surprisingly good - very rock, like a grungy Bangles. I hated everything she did before bar ITWAN.
                                    I've been bigging it up since last year but barely anyone - bar Bry - cares.

Much better than Debbie Gibson's new song that Ray has spammed.

The rest of Eighth Wonder not even turning up to pretend they're on the record! (a la Frankie)
                                    Early example of Sinitta almost wearing clothes.

Apparently the next Mike Smith episode is the final one. So no more banned editions after the next chart gap.
                                    I hope this is correct?
                                    Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Blondini View Post
                                      H
                                      Much better than Debbie Gibson's new song that Ray has spammed.
                                      No way! I have Tiffany's first two CD's. I have listened to a lot of her later songs on Spotify, but the music she releases now is not for me. I'll stick to the excellent songwriting of Debbie Gibson.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blondini View Post
                                        Apparently the next Mike Smith episode is the final one. So no more banned editions after the next chart gap.
                                        I hope this is correct?
                                        31st March 1988 was indeed the last Mike Smith appearance - so unless any issues emerge around any
                                        other presenters already seen or yet to be seen, we should indeed be okay as far as the regular weekly
                                        editions are concerned.

At the end of 1988, however, there was a Christmas edition which will hopefully air without the appearance
                                        of Gary Glitter on the Timelords's number one - but also a New Year's eve "25th Anniversary" episode which
                                        we probably won't see, as a lot of DJs appear together, including Jimmy Savile and Dave Lee Travis. I doubt
                                        that it will be possible to edit them out with the relative ease that they could remove Jonathan King from that
                                        other Christmas show.

Comment

• Tonight:

07/04/88 (Presented by Gary Davies and Simon Mayo)
                                          (15) Taylor Dayne – “Prove Your Love”
                                          (13) Fleetwood Mac – “Everywhere”
                                          ( Charts 40 - 31 - Simon Mayo )
                                          (16) Glen Goldsmith – “Dreaming”
                                          Breakers:
                                          - (24) Natalie Cole – “Pink Cadillac” (video clip)
                                          - (22) AC/DC – “That’s The Way I Wanna Rock ‘N’ Roll” (video clip)
                                          - (23) Pebbles – “Girlfriend” (video clip)
                                          (20) Hazell Dean – “Who’s Leaving Who”
                                          ( Charts 30 - 11 - Simon Mayo )
                                          (Eurovision entry) Scott Fitzgerald – “Go”
                                          ( Charts 10 - 02 - Simon Mayo )
                                          (1) Pet Shop Boys – “Heart”
                                          (21) Jellybean featuring Adele Bertei – “Just A Mirage” (video/credits)

Curiously, the Popscene archive listed some of the above in the wrong order - this is a corrected version.

My favourite this week was the Hazell Dean single, one of her best and most successful, on its way to
                                          spending two weeks at number four.

Although it was one of many UK Eurovision entries that earned a very respectable second place in the
                                          contest (it may be hard for younger fans of the show to imagine that this used to happen, now that we
                                          can almost count on a position way, way down the overall ranking!) "Go" performed poorly over the next
                                          six weeks, going no higher than number 52 and even briefly dipping out of the top 100 ahead of the
                                          contest, held in Ireland. Perhaps this was a little surprising, as it was the only the second* time in the
                                          1980s that the UK was represented by anyone who had previously had any UK chart success! Scott
                                          Fitzgerald had reached number three ten years earlier - round about the time I first started to listen
                                          to the weekly top twenty on Radio One - together with future "Star Sister" Yvonne Keeley, on "If I Had Words".

* So who was the other one that I very nearly overlooked.....?

Spoiler!

Comment

• Latest episode to me is very good. Liked most of the tracks back then. Well, maybe not the Eurovision one i particularly liked the Jellybean track, seem to remember playing that one a lot.

Comment

• The song by Scott Fitzgerald was even worse than I remembered. So glad Celine Dion won.

Comment

• I came across some Hazel Dean records in my 1976 search for records. They are quite rare now. I didn't think it was the same one that we saw on the TOTP 1988. But it is and she was 36 when that was broadcast! Though she doesn't look it!!

Pebbles was very sexy!! Named after the Flintstones young girl!! But on my wall back then was Debbie in blue and Wendy James in pink both from Number One Magazine

I still remember the breathless voices of the "ho" going from left to right on the stereo version of Fleetwood Mac's hit.

Pet Shop Boys is still great, can't wait for the video version to be shown!

Comment

• Yes, 1976 was the first of two years in which Hazell Dean had taken part in the "Song For Europe" final - the
                                                  other was 1984. But, of course, she lost out in both, to Brotherhood of Man and Belle and the Devotions.

Tonight:

14/04/88 (Presented by Bruno Brookes and Steve Wright)
                                                  (14) Bananarama – “I Want You Back”
                                                  (11) Natalie Cole – “Pink Cadillac” (video)
                                                  ( Charts 40 - 31 - Bruno Brookes )
                                                  (03) Climie Fisher – “Love Changes (Everything)”
                                                  Breakers:
                                                  - (20) Def Leppard – “Armageddon It” (video clip)
                                                  - (25) S-Express – “Theme From S-Express” (video clip)
                                                  - (23) T’Pau – “Sex Talk” (video clip)
                                                  - (22) Jermaine Stewart -“Get Lucky” (video clip)
                                                  (15) Jellybean featuring Adele Bertei – “Just A Mirage”
                                                  ( Charts 30 - 11 - Bruno Brookes )
                                                  (13) Pebbles – “Girlfriend”
                                                  ( Charts 10 - 01 - Bruno Brookes )
                                                  (01) Pet Shop Boys – “Heart”
                                                  (02) Bros – “Drop The Boy” (video/credits)

An unusual instance of two completely different songs with the same title in the charts at the same time -
                                                  the Jacksons' "I Want You Back" had already peaked at number two in 1970, but Bananarama's would fare
                                                  better than the remix in 1988, reaching the top five. It's one of my favourites from them, and the only
                                                  single I bought that was on this week's show!

I had the vague recollection that the T'Pau single had to go under another name in the US, as there was
                                                  even more of a dislike for songs with certain words in their titles there than here at this time - but I can
                                                  find no alternative title it seems to have been released as, nor indeed anything else backing this up now.
                                                  So I suspect that I was mistaken, or I'm confusing it with some other sex-related song.....

A little strange to feature the Bros track as it spent a fourth week at number two - could it have been
                                                  thought that it still stood a chance of making that final step to the top? Not a hope - it only then moved
                                                  -09-20-31-43-63 and was gone forever, not one of theirs that tends to be played at all these days.

Comment

• Glen Goldsmith, who featured with Dreaming, went on to co-write lots of songs in the 90s - namely Peter Andre’s Mysterious Girl (amongst other Peter Andre singles). His brother was also one of the members of MN8.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X