Top Of The Pops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In a later than usual timeslot tonight:

21/04/88 (Presented by Simon Bates and Peter Powell)
    (03) S-Express – “Theme From S-Express”
    (14) George Michael – “One More Try” (video)
    ( Charts 40 - 31 - Simon Bates / Peter Powell )
    (15) Danny Wilson – “Mary’s Prayer”
    Breakers:
    - (19) Pat & Mick – “Let’s All Chant” (video clip)
    - (21) Will Downing – “A Love Supreme” (video clip)
    - (25) James Brown – “The Payback Mix” (video clip)
    - (24) Patrick Swayze & Wendy Frazer – “She’s Like The Wind” (video clip)
    (17) Jermaine Stewart -“Get Lucky”
    ( Charts 30 - 11 - Simon Bates / Peter Powell )
    (06) Hazell Dean – “Who’s Leaving Who”
    ( Charts 10 - 01 - Simon Bates / Peter Powell )
    (01) Pet Shop Boys – “Heart” (video)
    (10) Michael Jackson & Jackson Five – “I Want You Back ‘88” (video/credits)

While Peter Powell was correct in predicting that S-Express were on their way to number one, Simon
    Bates seems to have also been close in mentioning the length of time it took for "Mary's Prayer" to
    become a significant hit. Its chart runs suggest that it had been released and promoted somewhat
    less successfully on two previous occasions:

From 14.03.1987 : 97 - 86 - 97

From 15.08.1987 : 80 - 66 - 44 - 43 - 44 - 42 - 48 - 63

Now, from 02.04.1988 : 69 - 52 - 35 - 15 - 03 - 03 - 07 - 10 - 20 - 35 - 50

Pat Sharp was, of course, a former Radio One DJ and had previously presented a few editions of "Top Of
    The Pops".....but I'm not at all sure who George Michael's "girlfriend in San Tropez" would have been !

Near enough was good enough for Simon Bates in announcing one title: "She Likes The Wind". Lovely.....

Counting down this week - the UKMixParade Top 200 of 2019

Comment

• Girlfriend by Pebbles is a good track, I hadn’t heard it before - very Janet Jackson.

Thank god for PSB with Heart otherwise that naff Bros track would’ve been #1. Pure example of Smash Hits hysteria creating hits despite the song quality.

Steve Wright is, and always has been, an arsehole. Constantly camera-hogging, trying to get the last word, patronising Bruno Brookes; “doesn’t he count them down well”

Theme From S-Express one of the best tracks of the year for sure, the Rose Royce sample is genius. I thought Sonique was a member of the group but on inspection she didn’t appear until their second album.

One of George Michael’s best songs with One More Try, shame they only gave him 90 seconds!

LOL at She Likes The Wind

Comment

• Pebbles became TLC's manager though they ended up suing her for loss of earnings.
        She's now a gospel singer called Sister Perri.
        Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

• Tonight:

28/04/88 (Presented by Nicky Campbell and Gary Davies)
          (15) Pat and Mick – “Let’s All Chant”
          (14) James Brown – “The Payback Mix” (video)
          ( Charts 40 - 31 - Nicky Campbell )
          (12) Fairground Attraction – “Perfect"
          Breakers
          :
          - (23) Brenda Russell – “Piano In The Dark” (video clip)
          - (26) Primitives – “Out Of Reach” (video clip)
          - (28) Luther Vandross – “I Gave It Up (When I Fell In Love)” (video clip)
          - (29) Joyce Sims – “Walk Away” (video clip)
          (05) Bananarama – “I Want You Back”
          ( Charts 30 - 11 - Nicky Campbell )
          (16) Will Downing – “A Love Supreme”
          ( Charts 10 - 02 - Nicky Campbell )
          (01) S-Express – “Theme From S-Express”
          (not top 100) Scott Fitzgerald – “Go” (and credits)

This was the week I mentioned before in which "Go" dipped out of the top 100 ahead of the Eurovision
          Song Contest. Neither this second "Top Of The Pops" airing nor the contest itself was going to prevent
          it from becoming one of the least successful chart hits to date for the UK's entry.

While I have some recollection of the first breaker this week, I don't really remember the other three at all !

On its way to number one, of course, was a song that Nicky Campbell, when introducing it, said was the
          highest new entry - but it was actually the highest climber in the top forty (up from 35 to 12), as indeed
          he later mentioned duringthe chart run-down..... Decades later, there was an Irish-language re-recording
          of "Perfect" by the lead singer of the group, Eddi Reader- "Foirfe":

Her Wikipedia page indicates that in the intervening years she had been awarded, for various other projects,
          several honorary doctorates and an MBE.

Comment

• Tonight:

05/05/88 (Presented by Bruno Brookes and Adrian John)
            (24) Joyce Sims – “Walk Away”
            (10) New Order – “Blue Monday ‘88” (video)
            ( Charts 40 - 31 - Bruno Brookes / Adrian John )
            (29) Magnum – “Start Talking Love”
            Breakers:
            - (17) Harry Enfield – “Loadsamoney (Doin’ Up The House)” (video clip)
            - (30) The Adventures – “Broken Land” (video clip)
            - (22) Narada – “Divine Emotions” (video clip)
            - (18) Prince – “Alphabet Street” (video clip)
            ( Charts 30 - 11 - Bruno Brookes / Adrian John )
            (26) The Christians – “Born Again”
            (25) Primitives – “Out Of Reach”
            ( Charts 10 - 02 - Bruno Brookes / Adrian John )
            (01) S-Express – “Theme From S-Express”
            (15) Star Turn On 45 Pints – “Pump Up The Bitter” (video/credits)

Adrian John was apparently a regular DJ on Radio One for over five years, but hardly ever presented
            "Top Of The Pops". This was his last show - and, I think, his first since 1983!

The shorter version of "Blue Monday", released on a seven-inch single for the first time in the UK, was
            about as good as it got this week. Although I'm often a fan of the more "novelty" records, neither
            "Loadsamoney" nor "Pump Up The Bitter" did anything for me.....
            Last edited by CZB; Fri August 9, 2019, 18:57.

Comment

• It's perhaps not surprising that there were no comments on last week's two shows, as I struggled to find
              anything very positive to say about them - elsewhere, they both seem to have gone down like the proverbial
              buckets of cold sick.....

Tonight, in a later time-slot and with a studio audience that seemed rather rowdy:

12/05/88 (Presented by Simon Mayo and Mike Read)
              (04) Harry Enfield – “Loadsamoney (Doin’ Up The House)”
              (09) Prince – “Alphabet Street” (video)
              ( Charts 40 - 31 - Mike Read / Simon Mayo )
              (23) The Adventures – “Broken Land”
              (16) Narada – “Divine Emotions”
              Breakers:
              - (13) Liverpool FC – “Anfield Rap (Red Machine In Full Effect)” (video clip)
              - (31) Belinda Carlisle – “Circle In The Sand” (video clip)
              - (26) Derek B – “Bad Young Brother” (video clip)
              - (28) Prefab Sprout – “The King Of Rock ‘N’ Roll” (video clip)
              (12) Star Turn On 45 Pints – “Pump Up The Bitter”
              ( Charts 30 - 11 - Mike Read / Simon Mayo )
              (05) Wet Wet Wet – “With A Little Help From My Friends”
              ( Charts 10 - 02 - Mike Read / Simon Mayo )
              (01) Fairground Attraction – “Perfect”
              (15) Kylie Minogue – “Got To Be Certain” (video/credits)

Hearing more fully the "Loadsamoney" and "Pump Up The Bitter" singles, probably for the first time since
              1988, has reminded me of how truly dreadful they both were!

I preferred "Got To Be Certain" over "I Should Be So Lucky", but it wasn't going to give Kylie Minogue a
              second number one. The next chart-topper was elsewhere in this week's line-up.....

Comment

• Originally posted by CZB View Post
                Although I'm often a fan of the more "novelty" records, neither
                "Loadsamoney" nor "Pump Up The Bitter" did anything for me.....
                God what dross! People really bought anything in the 80s didn’t they and there seemed to be a culture of jumping on to the latest fad, i.e. house and jacking, to make a quick buck.

You’re dead right about this time of 1988 being a bit of a ghost town in the way of good songs. I did really like that Adventures song though, the crowd seemed to really like it too!

It says something when Pat & Mick are one of the better acts

Comment

• Tonight:

19/05/88 (Presented by Simon Bates and Gary Davies)
                  (14) Prefab Sprout – “The King Of Rock ‘N’ Roll”
                  (04) Kylie Minogue – “Got To Be Certain” (video)
                  ( Charts 40 - 31 - Gary Davies )
                  (16) Derek B – “Bad Young Brother”
                  Breakers:
                  - (19) Heart – “What About Love” (video clip)
                  - (25) Ofra Haza – “Im Nin’Alu” (video clip)
                  - (22) Hothouse Flowers – “Don’t Go” (video clip)
                  - (27) Debbie Gibson – “Out Of The Blue” (video clip)
                  (17) Aztec Camera – “Somewhere In My Heart”
                  ( Charts 30 - 11 - Gary Davies )
                  (12) Belinda Carlisle – “Circle In The Sand” (video)
                  ( Charts 10 - 02 - Gary Davies )
                  (01) Billy Bragg with Cara Tivey – “She’s Leaving Home”
                  (01) Wet Wet Wet – “With A Little Help From My Friends” (part of the previous week's performance)
                  (03) Liverpool FC – “Anfield Rap (Red Machine In Full Effect)” (video/credits)

There's a connection between two of the breakers this week - Eurovision! Ofra Haza, who died in 2000 at
                  the age of 42, had finished second for Israel in the 1983 contest - while Hothouse Flowers had performed
                  "Don't Go", a big hit in their Irish homeland in 1987, as the interval act in the recent 1988 contest.

A rare occasion this week in which both sides of the number one single were featured - and there can't
                  have been many other chart-toppers in which the two sides were by different performers. I think the only
                  time it (kind of) happened since then would be in 2002, when "The Long And Winding Road" by Will
                  Young and Gareth Gates was coupled with "Suspicious Minds" by Gareth Gates on his own.....

Also a rare week in which Popscene has things listed in slightly the wrong order - the above is a
                  corrected version.
                  Last edited by CZB; Sat August 24, 2019, 21:53.

Comment

• I think they only added a cursory small part of Wet Wet Wet to acknowledge that it was by far the main reason the record was selling.
                    Cara Tivey - the least famous number one artist ever.
                    That was one of the best shows in a while, only marred by the awful Anfield (C)Rap. Derek B was responsible for that, too. I liked his own records - he's now dead.

Hilarious that despite being on the show two weeks running and including live appearances both Enfield and Star Turn dropped the next week!
                    Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Blondini View Post
                      I think they only added a cursory small part of Wet Wet Wet to acknowledge that it was by far the main reason the record was selling.
                      Yes, I realised that when watching the late-night repeat - I've added an appropriate note into the above line-up now.

Comment

• Tonight:

26/05/88 (Presented by Mark Goodier and Steve Wright)
                        (19) Debbie Gibson – “Out Of The Blue”
                        (13) LA Mix – “Check This Out” (video)
                        ( Charts 40 - 31 - Mark Goodier )
                        (15) Ofra Haza – “Im Nin’Alu”
                        Breakers:
                        - (22) Climie Fisher – “This Is Me” (video clip)
                        - (23) Aswad – “Give A Little Love” (video clip)
                        - (28) The Style Council – “Life At A Top People’s Health Farm” (video clip)
                        (11) Hothouse Flowers – “Don’t Go”
                        ( Charts 30 - 11 - Mark Goodier )
                        (17) Mica Paris – “My One Temptation”
                        (18) Scritti Politti – “Oh Patti (Don’t Feel Sorry For Loverboy)”
                        ( Charts 10 - 01 - Mark Goodier )
                        (01) Wet Wet Wet – “With A Little Help From My Friends”
                        (14) Heart – “What About Love” (video/credits)

I only bought two of the hits featured in this edition, both songs that I had been aware of before 1988:

- Hothouse Flowers had returned to the Irish charts with "Don't Go", as well as doing well in the UK
                        and several other countries, having been one of the best Eurovision Song Contest interval acts of
                        the decade. Perhaps surprisingly, however, their only number one in Ireland had been the much less
                        memorable "Feet On The Ground", a few months earlier:

- while "Give A Little Love" had been a Dutch top ten hit for Albert Hammond and Albert West in 1986:

The first Albert had previously had a top twenty hit in the UK in 1973 with "The Free Electric Band", but
                        the second, who died in 2015, doesn't seem to have had any chart appearances here - with the possible
                        exception of some of the later and less successful "Stars On 45" releases on which he may have participated.

Comment

• Out of the Blue is one of my all time favorite Debbie Gibson songs. Yeah!
                          My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Average show, Mica Paris being the highlight. I don’t remember most of the other songs.

Comment

• Tonight, a strange and essentially videos-only edition.....

02/06/88 (Presented by Nicky Campbell and Peter Powell)
                              (18) Aswad – “Give A Little Love” (video)
                              (14) Desireless – “Voyage Voyage” (video)
                              ( Charts 40 - 31 - Peter Powell / Nicky Campbell )
                              (23) Tiffany – “I Saw Him Standing There” (video)
                              Breakers:
                              - (22) The Timelords – “Doctorin’ The Tardis” (video clip)
                              - (27) Voice Of The Beehive – “Don’t Call Me Baby” (video clip)
                              - (25) Five Star – “Another Weekend” (video clip)
                              (05) Aztec Camera – “Somewhere In My Heart” (repeat of 19/05/88 studio performance)
                              ( Charts 30 - 11 - Peter Powell / Nicky Campbell )
                              (21) Rod Stewart – “Lost In You” (video)
                              ( Charts 10 - 01 - Peter Powell / Nicky Campbell )
                              (01) Wet Wet Wet – “With A Little Help From My Friends” (repeat of 12/05/88 studio performance)
                              (04) Belinda Carlisle – “Circle In The Sand” (video/credits)

I suppose Nicky Campbell's opening comment about Aswad having had "two hits in as many months" was
                              just about correct, as the former number one "Don't Turn Around" had still been at the bottom end of
                              the top forty in April.

I initially struggled to find the "three" Lennon and McCartney songs that he mentioned were in the chart
                              when introducing the one sung by Tiffany - but of course the other two are together on the same single
                              at number one!

Great to see the arrival of Desireless with the first French-language hit in the UK since.....well, "Joe Le Taxi"
                              not very much earlier! "Voyage Voyage" had been previously released first, though, in October 1987, but
                              only reached number 53 in the closing weeks of that year. I think it was a so-called "remix" in mid-1988 -
                              but, if so, not one that sounded much different from the original.

At the time, it may have been relatively difficult to spot the future number one in this week's line-up.....

Comment

• According to Top Of The Pops Facts there was asbestos discovered in Television Centre so they had to abandon the studio and present it from a corridor.

Comment

• No episode last week? Have they also cut down to one a week permanently?

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                                    No episode last week? Have they also cut down to one a week permanently?
                                    No, it's just the occasional slots given over to other programmes regularly or less regularly - I think last
                                    week it was the monthly "The Sky At Night" and the annual (?) "Proms". There will be two episodes this
                                    week, although there appears to be slight, surprising, uncertainty at the moment regarding which
                                    they will be.....

Comment

• Tonight:

09/06/88 (Presented by Simon Mayo and Peter Powell)
                                      (04) The Timelords – “Doctorin’ The Tardis”
                                      (18) Five Star – “Another Weekend” (video)
                                      (23) Voice Of The Beehive – “Don’t Call Me Baby”
                                      ( Charts 40 - 31 - Simon Mayo / Peter Powell )
                                      (07) Mica Paris – “My One Temptation”
                                      Breakers:
                                      - (28) Fields Of The Nephilim – “Moonchild” (video clip)
                                      - (24) Sabrina – “Boys (Summertime Love)” (video clip)
                                      - (31) James Brown – “I’m Real” (video clip)
                                      (15) Maxi Priest – “Wild World”
                                      ( Charts 30 - 11 - Simon Mayo / Peter Powell )
                                      (12) Morrissey – “Everyday Is Like Sunday”
                                      ( Charts 10 - 01 - Simon Mayo / Peter Powell )
                                      (01) Wet Wet Wet – “With A Little Help From My Friends”
                                      (19) Erasure – “Chains Of Love” (video/credits)

Having watched "Doctor Who" from a very young age, I was very pleased to see its theme
                                      tune making an impact in the charts for the first time - albeit integrated with a former hit
                                      that I doubt I was even aware of at the time. I also bought the current hits from Maxi Priest
                                      and by Sabrina - I knew "Boys (Summertime Love)" from its success in various other countries
                                      and the Europarade, although I probably hadn't yet seen the video that had no doubt been
                                      very popular too. Sabrina's death at the age of 51 was apparently reported very recently -
                                      but thankfully this was "fake news", she is still alive and well!
                                      Last edited by CZB; Thu September 19, 2019, 18:57.

Comment

• ^ I was surprised to see a censored version of Sabrina's Boys. Although I should have known BBC would never play the real version.

Comment

• I believe they did probably edit out a couple of.....seconds in the breakers clip - I thought the video
                                          had been shown in full in another programme, but it seems that I must have been mistaken. The only
                                          other time "Boys" was featured was in the live performance beginning tonight's edition:

16/06/88 (Presented by Gary Davies and Mike Read)
                                          (04) Sabrina – “Boys (Summertime Love)”
                                          (11) Erasure – “Chains Of Love”
                                          ( Charts 40 - 31 - Mike Read )
                                          (20) The Sisters Of Mercy – “Lucretia My Reflection”
                                          Breakers:
                                          - (19) The Fat Boys & Chubby Checker – “The Twist (Yo Twist)” (video clip)
                                          - (25) Eurythmics – “You Have Placed A Chill In My Heart” (video clip)
                                          - (26) A-ha – “The Blood That Moves The Body” (video clip)
                                          - (29) Sade – “Paradise” (video clip)
                                          (21) Matt Bianco – “Don’t Blame It On That Girl”
                                          ( Charts 30 - 11 - Mike Read )
                                          (02) Bros – “I Owe You Nothing”
                                          ( Charts 10 - 02 - Mike Read )
                                          (01) The Timelords – “Doctorin’ The Tardis”
                                          (16) The Pasadenas – “Tribute (Right On)” (video/credits)

After the bouncy opening number, things inevitably went downhill - with even the most
                                          well-known acts generally not performing one of their most successful or well-known hits!
                                          I didn't really recall the latest from A-Ha at all - probably because it came and went extremely
                                          quickly ( 26 - 25 - 42 - 64 ), the only one of their first thirteen singles missing the top twenty.

Comment

• The last I heard, the sound of the archive recording of the 23/06/88 episode was incomplete, inadequate
                                            or otherwise unfit for broadcasting, and attempts were being made to find a separate recording of the
                                            soundtrack that could be used to create a sufficiently good copy - as happened at least one time before!
                                            However, it would seem that this has not yet been achieved, so we advance a fortnight tonight:

30/06/88 (Presented by Gary Davies and Peter Powell)
                                            (18) Hazell Dean – “Maybe (We Should Call It A Day)”
                                            (15) Bruce Springsteen – “Tougher Than The Rest” (video)
                                            ( Charts 40 - 31 - Peter Powell )
                                            (10) Tracy Chapman – “Fast Car” (video)
                                            (14) Matt Bianco – “Don’t Blame It On That Girl”
                                            ( Charts 30 - 11 - Peter Powell )
                                            (07) Salt ‘N’ Pepa – “Push It” (video)
                                            (17) T’Pau – “I Will Be With You”
                                            (02) The Fat Boys & Chubby Checker – “The Twist (Yo Twist)” (video)
                                            ( Charts 10 - 01 - Peter Powell )
                                            (01) Bros – “I Owe You Nothing”
                                            (11) Glenn Medeiros – “Nothing’s Gonna Change My Love For You” (video/credits)

No breakers this time, but nine hits from the top twenty more fully played - five on video, four in the studio.

The only ones I bought topped and tailed the edition. Another fair effort from Hazell Dean, but not in the
                                            same league as some of her other singles - while I had become aware of the Glen Medeiros song quite some
                                            time earlier when it originally charted in other countries. That, of course, was the one that was going to go
                                            on to become the next UK number one for the eighteen-year-old that Wikipedia now describes as a "former
                                            singer and songwriter"
                                            - but it would be another two years before he would have his only other top forty
                                            hit in the UK, with a Bobby Brown collaboration.

So what became of him after that? As so often happens, surprising developments can emerge from
                                            Wikipedia. In this instance:

" After his musical career peaked, he taught and was vice-principal at the Maryknoll School,
                                            a parochial school in Honolulu, Hawaii, and as a Professor at Chaminade University, a well-
                                            established private Marianist University which shares grounds with Saint Louis School. On
                                            July 1, 2015, Medeiros became the Head of School/Principal of Saint Louis School in Honolulu
                                            and in 2017 its President/CEO. "

Comment

• ^ Who would have thought! He never sings anymore?

I still love his song. He had another hit here as follow up to his #1 smash: Long and Lasting Love.

Comment

• Just catching up - Doctorin’ The Tardis is definitely one of the better novelty songs of this era but it sounds really dated for 1988 - it sounds more like 1978 to me. Good show all round on 9th June actually, especially Voice Of The Beehive and Mica Paris. Just a shame that crap from Wet Wet Wet is still #1!

Comment

• The Chart Show played the Sabrina video uncut by mistake - at least once! Several nipslips made this teenage boy very happy.

A great bit of trivia from our trusty Twitter page:

Can't believe they listed "Chubbie" Checker on the first week rundown.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blondini View Post
                                                    The Chart Show played the Sabrina video uncut by mistake - at least once! Several nipslips made this teenage boy very happy.
                                                    Ah - that's almost certainly how I recalled seeing more than in the "Top Of The Pops" clip!

Originally posted by Blondini View Post
                                                    Glenn Medeiros has two kids: a son called Chord and a daughter called Lyric. No, really, he does. Seriously. Scout's honour
                                                    So he didn't completely turn his back on music, then.....

Originally posted by RayRay
                                                    I still love his song. He had another hit here as follow up to his #1 smash: Long and Lasting Love.
                                                    Indeed - I remember hearing that in the Dutch charts, it was an Alarmschijf and peaked at number ten:

https://www.top40.nl/top40/1988/week-39

.....but in the UK, it ground to a halt at number 42!

Tonight, just four performances, three videos and four breakers:

07/07/88 (Presented by Janice Long and Simon Mayo)
                                                    (20) The Communards – “There’s More To Love”
                                                    (16) The Mac Band featuring the McCampbell Brothers – “Roses Are Red” (video)
                                                    ( Charts 40 - 31 - Janice Long / Simon Mayo )
                                                    (23) Everything But The Girl – “I Don’t Want To Talk About It”
                                                    Breakers:
                                                    - (34) Debbie Gibson - "Foolish Beat"
                                                    - (33) Magnum - "It Must Have Been Love"
                                                    - (21) Eric B and Rakim "Follow the Leader"
                                                    - (28) Natalie Cole "Everlasting"
                                                    (24) INXS – “Never Tear Us Apart” (video)
                                                    ( Charts 30 - 11 - Janice Long / Simon Mayo )
                                                    (22) Eighth Wonder – “Cross My Heart”
                                                    ( Charts 10 - 02 - Janice Long / Simon Mayo )
                                                    (01) Glenn Medeiros – “Nothing’s Gonna Change My Love For You”
                                                    (32) Transvision Vamp – “I Want Your Love” (video/credits)

Perhaps surprisingly, this was the first time Janice Long had presented in 1988. Less surprisingly,
                                                    Everything But The Girl were on their way to a peak of number three with one of their best releases.
                                                    ("Missing" would reach the same position in the next decade.) "I Don't Want To Talk About It",
                                                    previously a number one hit for Rod Stewart, was my highlight of this edition.

Oddly, the breakers were omitted from the Popscene listing for this week - but no doubt they will be
                                                    added at some point.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X