Top Of The Pops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first of two tonight:

03/11/88 (Presented by Nicky Campbell and Mark Goodier)
    (24) Gloria Estefan & Miami Sound Machine – “1-2-3”
    (08) Robert Palmer – “She Makes My Day” (8)
    ( Charts 40 - 31 - Mark Goodier / Nicky Campbell )
    (26) Tanita Tikaram – “Twist In My Sobriety”
    Breakers:
    - (28) Bryan Ferry – “Let’s Stick Together” (video clip)
    - (17) Robin Beck – “The First Time” (video clip)
    (02) Kylie Minogue – “Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi” (video)
    ( Charts 30 - 11 - Mark Goodier / Nicky Campbell )
    (04) Yazz – “Stand Up For Your Love Rights”
    ( Charts 10 - 01 - Mark Goodier / Nicky Campbell )
    (01) Enya – “Orinoco Flow”
    (25) Guns N’ Roses – “Welcome To The Jungle” (video/credits)

Another future number one in tonight's line-up - unfortunately not Tanita Tikaram, but still
    a good song, heard in a well-known commercial of the era.....

Not much else i liked in this one - while I had bought the recent Yazz number one, I felt that
    the follow-up was more shouty and less tuneful. Maybe radio programmers nowadays think
    likewise - as I still hear "The Only Way Is Up" quite often, "Stand Up..." almost never! But it
    was going on to a number two peak in the UK, and indeed gave her a second number one in
    Ireland.
    Last edited by CZB; Fri November 22nd, 2019, 20:55.

Counting down this week - the UKMixParade Top 200 of 2019

Comment

• Another new presenter in the second show tonight:

10/11/88 (Presented by Bruno Brookes and Sybil Ruscoe)
      (08) Brother Beyond – “He Ain’t No Competition”
      (12) Bryan Ferry – “Let’s Stick Together” (video)
      ( Charts 40 - 31 - Bruno Brookes / Sybil Ruscoe )
      (05) Robin Beck – “The First Time”
      Breakers:
      - (22) Salt ‘N’ Pepa – “Twist & Shout” (video clip)
      -(18) INXS – “Need You Tonight” (video clip)
      (15) Chris De Burgh – “Missing You”
      ( Charts 30 - 11 - Bruno Brookes / Sybil Ruscoe )
      (10) Deacon Blue – “Real Gone Kid”
      ( Charts 10 - 01 - Bruno Brookes / Sybil Ruscoe )
      (01) Enya – “Orinoco Flow”
      ( Brief appearance by Donny Osmond )
      (26) Prince – “I Wish U Heaven” (video/credits)

I have absolutely no memory of Sybil Ruscoe, and would have probably have been equally unable
      to pick her out of a line-up then as now! I wondered if this was a one-off appearance for her -
      but no, she is back for six more programmes in 1989.

Another Irish number one in this edition - not surprisingly, Chris De Burgh's "Missing You", which
      was going to peak at number three in the UK.

Following what was apparently quite a backlash, the title of the D Mob featuring Gary Haisman hit
      continues to go deliberately unmentioned in tonight's episodes.....

The single just released by Donny Osmond wasn't going to reach the top forty, next week or ever -
      It ground to a halt at number 70.
      Last edited by CZB; Fri November 22nd, 2019, 22:35.

Comment

• Originally posted by CZB View Post
        I have absolutely no memory of Sybil Ruscoe, and would have probably have been equally unable
        to pick her out of a line-up then as now! I wondered if this was a one-off appearance for her -
        but no, she is back for six more programmes in 1989.

Following what was apparently quite a backlash, the title of the D Mob featuring Gary Haisman hit
        continues to go deliberately unmentioned in tonight's episodes.....
        As does Acid Man by Jolly Roger. Till they both dropped off the chart.

I'd forgotten about Sybil Ruscoe but do remember her now as a sidekick on Simon Mayo's breakfast show. I don't remember the co-host of the next show - Susie Mathis. She was a BBC Radio Manchester presenter who had made the charts as a member of Paper Dolls in 1968. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susie_Mathis

The Robin Beck song is called First Time officially (as displayed on the sleeve and her subsequent album) but the UK single says The First Time on the label.
        https://www.discogs.com/Robin-Beck-F.../master/175751

She deserved more success - she had another hit in Europe with Save Up All Your Tears (later covered by Cher). But is unknown in her homeland the US. Maybe the Coke ad wasn't shown over there, unlike the famous I'd Like To Teach The World one.
        Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (18th Jan 20) - JessiePaege, Pigsx7, Shires, Selena, GlantisCharli, Lane 8, Al Savior, Grgia

Comment

• Seeing these dance performances, such as Royal House, makes me sad I missed the acid house era. What an exciting time for the charts, and to be a teenager.

Comment

• I notice Yazz had a few more top 20 hits but it’s a shame she couldn’t keep the momentum going into the 90s, great popstar. I haven’t heard anything from her outside of three big hits but I always imagined she would’ve done well with stuff like Don’t Worry by Kim Appleby.

Surprised to see that Tanita song didn’t even make it into the top 20, it feels much more well known than the chart position suggests.

Robin Beck’s next appearance would be 18 years later, just before the show ended! Shame she was a one-hit wonder, cracking voice.

JNSPP’s video was really high quality for the era, you can tell the label were heavily investing in Kylie by this point.

Great songs by INXS and especially Deacon Blue, Real Gone Kid would be in my top list of the decade.

Comment

• Well, Popscene had a very short listing for tonight's first show - so I wondered if perhaps, as had
              happened very occasionally in the past, they had omitted the breakers or one or two singles.....

17/11/88 (Presented by Gary Davies and Susie Mathis)
              (02) Yazz – “Stand Up For Your Love Rights”
              ( Charts 40 - 31 - Gary Davies / Susie Mathis )
              (29) All About Eve – “What Kind Of Fool”
              (04) INXS – “Need You Tonight” (video)
              ( Charts 30 - 11 - Gary Davies / Susie Mathis )
              (28) Mica Paris – “Breathe Life Into Me”
              (22) Tanita Tikaram – “Twist In My Sobriety”
              ( Charts 10 - 02 - Gary Davies / Susie Mathis )
              (01) Robin Beck – “The First Time”
              (12) Salt ‘N’ Pepa – “Twist & Shout” (video/credits)

.....but no, that was the complete content - just seven songs and six links, three of them
              including the chart countdown. Gary Davies should surely have been able to manage this one
              on his own - rather than needing a new co-presenter! Hardly one of the new "younger" hosts
              that might have been expected, Susie Mathis was forty-one years old at this time (just a few
              months younger than Simon Bates!) and is now 75. Blondini has already mentioned probably
              anything else that anybody might need to know about her, except that.....she is back for one
              more edition, in early 1989.

"Save Up All Your Tears" was released in the UK as the follow-up to "(The) First Time" (I tend
              to agree that the title shouldn't really include "The"!) but flopped. Its main success in continental
              Europe was in Germany and Switzerland - in both of which it reached the top ten. But the only
              other single from her in my collection was the one after that, which didn't quite get to the top
              twenty in either of those countries, and didn't do anything anywhere else:

In the next post I'll reveal who else had a hit in the same countries with a cover version of the
              same song a few years later.....

( Edit - I have just looked at the Wikipedia page Blondini linked, and it gives Susie Mathis's date
              of birth as 29 April 1947 and 29 April 1944 - so, depending on which is right, she is now either
              72 or 75, and either a few months younger or a few years older than Simon Bates! )
              Last edited by CZB; Fri November 29th, 2019, 21:09.

Comment

• And Mathis (or the researcher) made an error calling First Time her first single. She actually made disco music back in 1979 and scored her only American chart entry on their club charts with this (verified as a UK release on Discogs):

Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (18th Jan 20) - JessiePaege, Pigsx7, Shires, Selena, GlantisCharli, Lane 8, Al Savior, Grgia

Comment

• It might have been too obvious if I had mentioned that the other singer who charted in parts of
                  Europe with "Tears In The Rain" had also had a number one, and not very much else, in the UK.....

I should have checked earlier..... "Save Up All Your Tears" did achieve some sales in the UK,
                  it spent two weeks in the top 100 and peaked at number 84!

Tonight's second episode:

24/11/88 (Presented by Andy Crane and Simon Mayo)
                  (21) Tiffany – “Radio Romance”
                  (19) Bomb The Bass featuring Maureen – “I Say A Little Prayer”
                  ( Charts 40 - 31 - Simon Mayo / Andy Crane )
                  (08) Deacon Blue – “Real Gone Kid”
                  Breakers:
                  - (12) Michael Jackson – “Smooth Criminal” (video clip)
                  - (07) Pet Shop Boys – “Left To My Own Devices” (video clip)
                  - (06) Iron Maiden – “The Clairvoyant” (video clip)
                  (20) Bananarama – “Nathan Jones”
                  ( Charts 30 - 11 - Simon Mayo / Andy Crane )
                  (03) Chris De Burgh – “Missing You” (video)
                  ( Charts 10 - 01 - Simon Mayo / Andy Crane )
                  (25) Hithouse – “Jack To The Sound Of The Underground” (video/credits)

All three of the "breakers" were already pretty high in the chart - but two would climb
                  to their peaks in the following week. Michael Jackson would go to number eight, and my
                  favourite this time from the Pet Shop Boys would rise to number four. The latest Iron
                  Maiden hit, however, would rapidly sink to 20, 39 and out of the top forty three weeks
                  later. By this point, chart watchers could probably have seen this sort of quick descent
                  and exit coming for that group's singles!

Among other acts following up number ones in this edition, Tiffany would get a fourth
                  and final top twenty entry, peaking at number thirteen. Since her previous three bigger
                  hits, she had missed the top forty by twelve places with "Feelings of Forever" - and a
                  few months later, "All This Time" would grind to a halt at 47. Neither of those ring even
                  the slightest of bells with me.....

Comment

• 3 very brief "breakers" between 6 and 12. Pointless. They should have aired some of Sigue Sigue Sputnik (their best single) last week as well as Maiden.

Another presenter correction: Humanoid (act) and Stakker Humanoid (track). There's a complicated history behind the artist and track name but on white labels it was initially called Humanoid by Stakker. And club shows on Radio 1 had called it this for weeks so that explains the error. Humanoid being Brian Dougan who later was one half of The Future Sound Of London. Thankfully it didn't have acid in the title (the main sample is from a video game called Berzerk)!
                    I bought my first batch of singles 31 years ago with my birthday money. Erasure's Crackers International EP (brand new), Humanoid's Stakker Humanoid and Londonbeat's 9AM (The Comfort Zone). (though i'd already bought Whitesnake's album that January on cassette, i've not revisited that as much as those vinyl singles)
                    Last edited by Blondini; Fri November 29th, 2019, 22:40.

Comment

• It’s at this point that the breakers segment is starting to feel slightly irrelevant - when did it disappear?

That Tiffany song was crap. Never heard it before. Bananarama also beginning to hit the skids (excuse the pun) musically now too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                        It’s at this point that the breakers segment is starting to feel slightly irrelevant - when did it disappear?
                        This segment continued for a lot longer than I would ever have thought or remembered - it didn't
                        disappear until March 1994!

Comment

• ^ Agreed. That's absurd given that songs started debuting and peaking regularly in the first week as early as 1991 - U2's The Fly seemed to be one that started it with the deliberate "limited edition" status. (Bros already had the dubious honour of regular instant dropping in 88 but it wasn't a regular occurence for most acts til the 90s).
                          There were virtually no climbers by 93! So a "breaker" would never be seen again! There was the practice of releasing another format in week two to boost the record but it would still divebomb in the 3rd week. Then eventually that trick stopped.
                          Last edited by Blondini; Sat November 30th, 2019, 18:36.

Comment

• Susie Mathers “see you in 2008”... sadly not!

Comment

• So, we're into December of 1988 tonight - and there weren't as many Christmas songs in the chart then
                              as there are now.....

01/12/88 (Presented by Bruno Brookes and Mike Read)
                              (12) Rick Astley – “Take Me To Your Heart”
                              ( Charts 40 -31 - Bruno Brookes / Mike Read )
                              (08) Michael Jackson – “Smooth Criminal” (video)
                              Breakers:
                              - (24) George Michael – “Kissing A Fool” (video clip)
                              - (16) Angry Anderson – “Suddenly” (video clip)
                              - (07) Cliff Richard – “Mistletoe And Wine” (video clip)
                              - (06) Phil Collins – “Two Hearts” (video clip)
                              (04) Pet Shop Boys – “Left To My Own Devices”
                              ( Charts 30 - 11 - Bruno Brookes / Mike Read )
                              (02) Bros – “Cat Among The Pigeons”
                              ( Charts 10 - 01 - Bruno Brookes / Mike Read )
                              (18) Humanoid – “Stakker Humanoid” (and credits)

Perhaps helped by what I seem to recall was a rather insipid version of "Silent Night" as a double-A-side,
                              the latest Bros single would stay in the top ten for another five weeks - but it was moving downwards
                              throughout that period.

The latest George Michael breaker was going to give him his worst solo single peak to date, only rising six
                              places to number eighteen - while the other three were already higher than that! One of the others would
                              soon go all the way to number one.....

Comment

• The confusion over the Humanoid act name on TOTP is down to a dispute between the video men (Stakker) and the musician Brian Dougans (Humanoid) brought in to soundtrack their work - the label changed the name to Humanoid right on the eve of release for copyright reasons. The piece was a video before it was a record and was known as Stakker - Humanoid. Including Stakker in the track name was a way of crediting the video guys by not actually crediting them.
                                Even this YT upload still gets the act name wrong:

Comment

• And the second one tonight:

08/12/88 (Presented by Nicky Campbell and Caron Keating)
                                  (20) Status Quo – “Burning Bridges (On And Off And On Again)”
                                  ( Charts 40 - 31 - Nicky Campbell / Caron Keating)
                                  (03) Angry Anderson – “Suddenly”
                                  (06) Phil Collins – “Two Hearts” (video)
                                  Breakers:
                                  - (24) Petula Clark – “Downtown ‘88” (video clip)
                                  - (23) New Order – “Fine Time” (video clip)
                                  - (22) Inner City – “Good Life” (video clip)
                                  - (07) Erasure – “Stop” (video clip)
                                  ( Charts 30 - 11 - Nicky Campbell / Caron Keating)
                                  (02) Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan – “Especially For You” (video)
                                  ( Charts 10 - 02 - Nicky Campbell / Caron Keating)
                                  (01) Cliff Richard – “Mistletoe And Wine”
                                  (15) Bananarama – “Nathan Jones” (and credits)

Perhaps surprisingly, my favourite from this edition was.......the opening number from Status Quo! I had
                                  liked very few of their many previous hits, but this one seemed to have a much better melody/tune than
                                  most. It wasn't going to give them their second number one.......until a few years later when it was reworked
                                  with added footballers. That chart-topper doesn't come up when the Official Chart website is searched:

https://www.officialcharts.com/artist/17941/status-quo/

probably because it's only "produced by" Status Quo, and just credited to "Manchester United Football
                                  Squad":

https://www.officialcharts.com/searc...e-on-you-reds/

I thought that they at least contibuted the backing track - but maybe they didn't join in with the vocals.
                                  Either way, it doesn't appear to be regarded as a second number one for the group.
                                  Last edited by CZB; Fri December 6th, 2019, 22:25.

Comment

• Still anoys me that they only credit Stop! and not the Crackers International EP. It was at least 4 tracks on every format. But they cut it short to save time like they did with The Specials - Too Much Too Young (Special AKA! Live EP)

Comment

• Angry Anderson looked like that?! His performance was bizarre, it was like they'd dragged Dave from the local boozer to come and mime to it on stage. Such a contrast to the sentiment of Scott & Charlene's wedding.

That Bros song is the worst I've heard from them yet, if any other act had recorded that it wouldn't have gone top 20.

Loved that Humanoid performance! Another banger from the era I'd not heard before. Inner City's Good Life also a highlight of the back end of this decade.

Comment

• The Christmas and New Year episode line-ups have been announced, Christmas Day is the earliest I can ever remember!

Christmas Day - 11:35am
                                        Lewis Capaldi
                                        AJ Tracey
                                        Jorja Smith
                                        Freya Ridings
                                        Tom Walker
                                        Labrinth
                                        Jax Jones (feat. Ella Henderson)
                                        Dermot Kennedy
                                        Jack Savoretti
                                        Sigala (feat. Becky Hill)
                                        The Script
                                        Mabel
                                        James Blunt

30 December - 4:45pm
                                        Mabel
                                        Lewis Capaldi
                                        Dermot Kennedy
                                        Blossoms
                                        Sigma (feat. Jack Savoretti)
                                        Regard (feat. Jay Sean)
                                        Freya Ridings
                                        Celeste [BRITs Rising Star]
                                        Joel Corry (feat. Hayley May)
                                        Tom Walker
                                        Lily Moore & Dan Caplen

Very British, predictable and repetitive! Some of those acts haven’t even had a chart hit this year. As usual I’m most looking forward to the dance tracks. I really don’t get the obsession with Tom Walker, he must be a cheap gig.

Comment

• Just the one 1988 episode this week - as there aren't many left now!

15/12/88 (Presented by Gary Davies and Mark Goodier)
                                          (22) Bon Jovi – “Born To Be My Baby”
                                          (13) Petula Clark – “Downtown ‘88”
                                          ( Charts 40 - 31 - Gary Davies )
                                          (10) U2 – “Angel Of Harlem” (video)
                                          (15) New Order – “Fine Time”
                                          ( Charts 30 - 11 - Gary Davies )
                                          (04) Erasure – “Stop”

Breakers:
                                          - (23) The Four Tops – “Loco In Acapulco” (video clip)
                                          - (28) Kim Wilde – “Four Letter Word” (video clip)
                                          - (29) Londonbeat – “9 AM (The Comfort Zone)” (video clip)
                                          (06) Inner City – “Good Life”
                                          ( Charts 10 - 01 - Gary Davies )
                                          (01) Cliff Richard – “Mistletoe And Wine” (video)
                                          (25) A-ha – “You Are The One” (video/credits)

The Popscene listing has some of these elements in a slightly different order, but it seems clear from the
                                          links that the amended version I have posted here is the correct one.

Nothing that I especially liked this week, apart from the closing video. On its way to a peak of number
                                          thirteen, "You Are The One" is certainly not one of the A-ha tracks still played often nowadays, but it's
                                          one of my favourites of all their singles. In places it reminded me just a little of an earlier European hit by
                                          the Austrian group Erste Algemeine Verunsicherung, "Fata Morgana":

Earlier in the episode,as we get near to the end of 1988, there's still time for yet another remake of a hit
                                          originally from many years previously..... I consulted the Wikipedia page for this song, hoping to find out,
                                          or be reminded if I had ever known before, why this one was back in the charts in that year. Unfortunately,
                                          there's no answer there - but there is an interesting quote from the singer herself:

"The first time I heard the '88 remix of 'Downtown' I was in my car. I thought: 'This sounds
                                          familiar. I wonder who's singing this?' and it turned out to be me! They'd wiped out the
                                          orchestra and put on some kind of ticka-ticka-tick thing. I don't know what the hell it was,
                                          but it turned into a hit. They don't have to ask my permission, if you know what I mean. But
                                          it's fine. I find it rather flattering, actually. And quite amusing."

Comment

• Bless Petula, that performance was pure karaoke not helped by the awful remix.

Inner City the clear highlight of the episode for me.

Comment

• The last two repeatable editions of 1988 tonight, but not in the original transmission order. First:

25/12/88 (Presented by Bruno Brookes, Gary Davies and Anthea Turner)
                                              S-Express – “Theme From S-Express”
                                              - Milli Vanilli – brief Christmas message
                                              Pet Shop Boys – “Always On My Mind”
                                              Christmas Crackers (female):
                                              - Belinda Carlisle – “Heaven Is A Place On Earth” (video clip)
                                              - Tiffany – “I Think We’re Alone Now” (video clip)
                                              - Kylie Minogue – “I Should Be So Lucky” (video clip)
                                              - Whitney Houston – “One Moment In Time” (video clip)
                                              Enya – “Orinoco Flow” (as seen on 20/10/88)
                                              Aswad – “Don’t Turn Around”
                                              - Yazz – brief Christmas message
                                              Fairground Attraction – “Perfect”
                                              Christmas Crackers (male - number twos):
                                              - Climie Fisher – “Love Changes (Everything)” (video clip)
                                              - Bros – “When Will I Be Famous?” (video clip)
                                              - Rick Astley – “Together Forever” (video clip)
                                              - Bobby McFerrin – “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” (video clip)
                                              - Brother Beyond – “The Harder I Try” (video clip)
                                              Pet Shop Boys – “Heart”
                                              - Brother Beyond – brief interview
                                              Yazz – ”The Only Way Is Up”
                                              - Climie Fisher – brief interview
                                              The Timelords & Gary Glitter – “Doctorin’ The Tardis

Christmas Crackers (male - number ones):
                                              - Bros – “I Owe You Nothing” (video clip)
                                              - Glenn Medeiros – “Nothing’s Gonna Change My Love For You” (video clip)
                                              - Phil Collins – “Groovy Kind Of Love” (08/09/88 clip)
                                              Robin Beck – “The First Time” (10/11/88)
                                              - Robin Gibb – brief interview
                                              Wet Wet Wet – “With A Little Help From My Friends”
                                              - Breathe – brief Christmas message
                                              The Hollies – “He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother”
                                              (Christmas number one) Cliff Richard – “Mistletoe And Wine”
                                              Bros – “Silent Night” (with credits)

Originally an hour long, now this one has had to become just a little bit shorter because Gary Gliiter
                                              joined the Timelords for this performance of "Doctorin' The Tardis"!

This, of course, was from a time when the programme tried to live up to its name - everything here
                                              peaked either at number one or number two during 1988. Quite a contrast from the line-up for the
                                              2019 Christmas Day show, which seems to be dominated by artists that only had minor successes
                                              at best this year. There are ten singles in the 1988 show that I bought - all of which I'm sure I've
                                              mentioned here as we've progressed through the year - and nothing at all that has impressed me by
                                              any of the 2019 Christmas artists.

Next - the last weekly edition of 1988, from 22nd December.....

Comment

• And finally for this year.....

22/12/88 (Presented by Nicky Campbell and Steve Wright)
                                                (15) The Four Tops – “Loco In Acapulco”
                                                (20) A-ha – “You Are The One”
                                                ( Charts 40 - 31 - Steve Wright / Nicky Campbell )
                                                (19) Kim Wilde – “Four Letter Word”
                                                Breakers:
                                                - (28) Shakin’ Stevens – “True Love” (video clip)
                                                - (27) Freiheit – “Keeping The Dream Alive” (video clip)
                                                (13) Neneh Cherry – “Buffalo Stance”
                                                ( Charts 30 - 11 - Steve Wright / Nicky Campbell )
                                                (02) Kylie Minogue & Jason Donovan – “Especially For You”
                                                ( Charts 10 - 01 - Steve Wright / Nicky Campbell )
                                                (01) Cliff Richard – “Mistletoe & Wine”
                                                (07) Status Quo – “Burning Bridges (On & Off & On Again)” (and credits)

My highlight by a long way this time - German group (Munchener) Freiheit, who had peaked at number two
                                                in their German homeland the previous Christmas with the original release of the song in German, "So lang'
                                                man Träume noch leben kann":

Very high in my own all-time chart, the UK 12" release featured an "extended version" which is actually the
                                                4m13 seven-inch version in full, followed by 2m21 of its instrumental backing, provided by the London
                                                Symphony Orchestra:

Comment

• If you are wondering why I'm not following this thread anymore... BBC4 is no longer available for us.
                                                  My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Seems weird that Loco In Acapulco was a Christmas hit, it always felt summery to me for obvious reasons!

Keeping The Dream Alive is a great forgotten hit, I don’t know where I discovered it but I’ve enjoyed it for a good few years now.

Neneh Cherry the highlight of the episode for me, especially at eight months pregnant!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X