No announcement yet.

Top Of The Pops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Day episode for this year was pretty dire, I think the BBC are trying to kill it off by moving it earlier too.

Comment

• setlist for the Christmas episode, anyone?
      My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• It’s on the last page, well, the artists anyway. You can probably guess the songs.

Comment

• which were the "Golden years" of this show in your opinion guys?

Comment

• Originally posted by AndiIversen View Post
            which were the "Golden years" of this show in your opinion guys?
            Late 80s to late 90s for me. I used to live for it when I was in primary school.

Comment

• Not content with repeating performers, they’ve actually repeated performances by showing Joel Corry on both Christmas Day and today...

Comment

• Ratings were down for Top Of The Pops, which returned for its festive and New Year outing.

The one-hour specials were again hosted by BBC Radio 1’s Clara Amfo and TV and radio presenter Fearne Cotton. They were filmed in front of a live audience at the BBC’s Elstree Studios

The Christmas Day special featured a line-up including AJ Tracey and Jorja Smith, Dermot Kennedy, Freya Ridings Jack Savoretti, James Blunt, Jax Jones & Ella Henderson, Labrinth, Lewis Capaldi, Mabel, Sigala feat. Becky Hill, The Script and Tom Walker.

The New Year edition featured Blossoms, Celeste, Joel Corry & Hayley May, Lily Moore & Dan Caplen and Regard and Jay Sean, alongside further performances from Capaldi, Kennedy, Mabel, Ridings and Walker.

For the Christmas Day edition, overnight ratings were down from 2.3 million in 2018 to 1.8m (19.3% share) in 2019. The 2019 show’s ratings went up to 1.9m when figures for BBC iPlayer are included.

The December 25 show lost around 500,000 viewers, although it aired an hour earlier than the previous year at 11.35am.

The teatime New Year edition on December 30 reached 1.5m viewers (12.4%), down from 2.2m in the previous year. The consolidated figure including iPlayer streams is 1.6m.

Comment

• I doubt that they could have expected better ratings than that in the rather less than prime-time slots
                  those shows were in, bearing in mind too the not particularly good line-up of performers.....

Tonight, BBC FOUR begins 1989, with episode 1300:

05/01/89 (Presented by Andy Crane and Mark Goodier)
                  (02) Erasure – “Stop”
                  (09) Kim Wilde – “Four Letter Word”
                  ( Charts 40 - 31 - Mark Goodier / Andy Crane )
                  (15) A-ha – “You Are The One” (video)
                  Breakers:
                  - (25) Duran Duran – “All She Wants Is” (video clip)
                  - (31) Boy Meets Girl – “Waiting For A Star To Fall” (video clip)
                  - (28) Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine – “Rhythm Is Gonna Get You” (video clip)
                  (37) Climie Fisher – “Love Like A River”
                  ( Charts 30 - 11 - Mark Goodier / Andy Crane )
                  (04) Inner City – “Good Life”
                  (06) Neneh Cherry – “Buffalo Stance”
                  ( Charts 10 - 02 - Mark Goodier / Andy Crane )
                  (01) Kylie Minogue & Jason Donovan – “Especially For You”
                  (07) The Four Tops – “Loco In Acapulco” (video/credits)

The "new look" mentioned by the presenters is essentially limited to a new opening titles sequence, new
                  graphics for the captions and countdowns (trendy entirely lower-case lettering for the song titles!), and
                  the breakers moving back into a random order - the basic format is still pretty much unchanged from 1988,
                  and Paul Hardcastle's theme tune is still being used.

With not many new releases right at the beginning of a new year, most of this edition consisted of songs we
                  had already seen in the closing weeks of 1988. Nothing very interesting to highlight at all in this one, really!

Counting down this week - the UKMixParade Top 200 of 2019

Comment

• Ah.....there's more of a change of style (and not necessarily in a good way) in tonight's second episode:

12/01/89 (Presented by Simon Mayo, Sybil Ruscoe and Rod McKenzie)
                    (33) The Darling Buds – “Hit The Ground”
                    (10) Will To Power – “Baby I Love Your Way-Freebird” (video)
                    ( Charts 40 - 31 - Sybil Ruscoe / Simon Mayo )
                    (22) Milli Vanilli – “Baby Don’t Forget My Number”
                    (09) Duran Duran – “All She Wants Is” (video)
                    (12) Boy Meets Girl – “Waiting For A Star To Fall”
                    Breakers:
                    - (19) Marc Almond & Gene Pitney – “Something’s Gotten Hold Of My Heart” (video clip)
                    - (30) Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock – “Get On The Dance Floor” (video clip)
                    - (17) Mike & The Mechanics – “The Living Years” (video clip)
                    - (31) Roachford – “Cuddly Toy” (video clip)
                    - (08) Fine Young Cannibals – “She Drives Me Crazy” (video clip)
                    - (24) Roy Orbison – “You Got It” (video clip)
                    (14) Freiheit – “Keeping The Dream Alive”
                    ( Charts 30 -11 - Sybil Ruscoe / Simon Mayo )
                    (29) Cookie Crew – “Born This Way (Let’s Dance)”
                    ( Charts 10 - 02 - Sybil Ruscoe / Simon Mayo )
                    (01) Kylie Minogue & Jason Donovan – “Especially For You” (video)
                    ( Brief chat with Jason Donovan )
                    (16) Gloria Estefan & Miami Sound Machine – “Rhythm Is Gonna Get You” (video/credits)

So perhaps the plan is now to have shorter clips (barely thirty seconds each) from more "breakers" - I don't
                    think there had ever been as many as six before. And.....more presenters? I've never ever listened to Radio
                    One except for the weekly chart show - but from what is said at the beginning, presumably this particular
                    trio were all part of the breakfast show programme that aired at this time, even though the Radio Times
                    would probably only have credited Simon Mayo as the presenter. Perhaps Rod McKenzie typically contributed
                    as little to that programme as he did to this one.....

Hmm.....I'm getting the impression that the videos are being cut a bit short too, perhaps as part of a new
                    policy to pack more bits of songs in. That had been tried before - it didn't continue..... Meanwhile, I had
                    forgotten that there was a full performance of the beautiful, albeit perhaps a bit Christmassy-sounding,
                    Freiheit hit as it reached a new peak in the new year (arguably as a direct result of the two real seasonal
                    songs that had been in the top ten now crashing down past it!) - certainly this once again was my highlight
                    of the episode. ( Hey! That was about ninety seconds shorter than the single too ! )

"You Got It" was the first posthumous hit for Roy Orbison - who had died five weeks earlier, aged 52.
                    It was covered by other acts later on - including, in Germany and in German, by Juliane Werding:

Last edited by CZB; Fri January 10, 2020, 21:30.

Comment

• These are the first TOTP titles I remember as a child, used to make me think of a pinball machine. The updated fonts and effects are much better.

Andy Crane made a mistake; “A-ha there with All She Wants Is”... obviously thinking about his next link.

Yes quite a repetitive time of year, I thought Kim’s single was insipid at first but it’s a little grower, as is the A-ha one.

Comment

• I prefer the Big Mountain hit from 1994 but I do really like Will To Power’s version of that song - shame they cut it off so early.

I’m surprised Milli Vanilli got away with those tight pants

Freiheit and Boy Meets Girl my highlight of the episode, love those songs. In fact, loads of great songs in the breakers too - namely Roachford.

Comment

• In the two episodes that were on last night while the forum was offline, which are being repeated again at the moment, a reasonable number one is replaced by a rather better one.....

19/01/89 (Presented by Bruno Brookes and Richard Skinner)
                          (11) Roachford – “Cuddly Toy”
                          (07) Roy Orbison – “You Got It” (TV show clip)
                          ( Charts 40 - 31 - Bruno Brookes)
                          (22) Robert Howard and Kym Mazelle – “Wait”
                          (10) Marc Almond and Gene Pitney – “Something’s Gotten Hold Of My Heart”
                          Breakers:
                          - (33) Ten City – “That’s The Way Love Is” (video clip)
                          - (28) Mica Paris & Will Downing – “Where Is The Love?” (video clip)
                          - (31) New Model Army – “Stupid Questions” (video clip)
                          - (29) Brother Beyond – “Be My Twin” (video clip)
                          - (30) Natalie Cole – “I Live For Your Love” (video clip)
                          (04) Mike & The Mechanics – “The Living Years” (video)
                          ( Charts 30 - 11 - Bruno Brookes)
                          (23) Holly Johnson – “Love Train”
                          (05) Fine Young Cannibals – “She Drives Me Crazy”
                          ( Charts 10 - 01 - Bruno Brookes)
                          (01) Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan – “Especially For You”
                          (17) Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock – “Get On The Dance Floor” (video/credits)

26/01/89 (Presented by Gary Davies and Anthea Turner)
                          (21) Then Jerico – “Big Area”
                          (20) Adeva – “Respect”
                          ( Charts 40 - 31 - Gary Davies / Anthea Turner)
                          (14) Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock – “Get On The Dance Floor”
                          (19) Mica Paris and Will Downing – “Where Is The Love?”
                          Breakers:
                          - (27) Bobby Brown – “My Prerogative” (video clip)
                          - (28) Level 42 – “Tracie” (video clip)
                          - (34) Sheena Easton – “The Lover In Me” (video clip)
                          (17) Ten City – “That’s The Way Love Is”
                          ( Charts 30 - 11 - Gary Davies / Anthea Turner)
                          (15) Brother Beyond – “Be My Twin”
                          ( Charts 10 - 02 - Gary Davies / Anthea Turner)
                          (01) Marc Almond and Gene Pitney – “Something’s Gotten Hold Of My Heart”
                          (16) Milli Vanilli – “Baby Don’t Forget My Number” (video/credits)

Nothing I bought here except the two chart-toppers! After another very "bitty" edition that had me reaching for a stop-watch for the two highest-ranking songs - not much more than two minutes of the number one, only about a minute and a quarter of the number four! - the total number of tracks featured stabilises at twelve for a while. I'd still prefer a return to more full performances.....

Comment

• So many great songs about in this era, not least Roachford and the fantastic Cuddly Toy and Adeva’s funky and quirky take on Respect.

Hadn’t heard the Kym Mazelle one, pretty good!

Comment

• Oh and Ten City! Gorgeous house track, like Promised Land by Joe Smooth.

Comment

• The first one tonight::

02/02/89 (Presented by Simon Mayo and Steve Wright)
                                (05) Holly Johnson – “Love Train”
                                (03) Roy Orbison – “You Got It” (TV show clip)
                                ( Charts 40 - 31 - Steve Wright / Simon Mayo )
                                (10) Robert Howard & Kym Mazelle – “Wait”
                                (23) Sheena Easton – “The Lover In Me”
                                Breakers:
                                - (24) Michael Ball – “Love Changes Everything” (video clip)
                                - (27) Yazz – “Fine Time” (video clip)
                                - (31) Hue & Cry – “Looking For Linda” (video clip)
                                - (29) Samantha Fox – “I Only Wanna Be With You” (video clip)
                                (22) Simply Red – “It’s Only Love”
                                ( Charts 30 - 11 - Steve Wright / Simon Mayo )
                                (04) Roachford – “Cuddly Toy”
                                ( Charts 10 - 01 - Steve Wright / Simon Mayo )
                                (01) Marc Almond and Gene Pitney – “Something’s Gotten Hold Of My Heart” (video)
                                (18) Bobby Brown – “My Prerogative” (video/credits)

My two favourites this time were both in the breakers - the Michael Ball single was on its way to a peak of number two,
                                performing considerably better than any of his many other releases (the only one that later scraped into the top twenty
                                for him was his 1992 Eurovision entry) while I felt that Samantha Fox's cover version of a song that had been a hit
                                several times before improved on them all, benefiting from Stock, Aitken and Waterman on production. It would give
                                her a fourth, final, and least successful, top twenty entry - peaking at number sixteen.

While checking the Official Chart's Roachford page to see how high "Cuddly Toy" had gone on its previous release (the
                                answer - number 61 during mid 1988) I fould a curious error - it says that the 1989 version entered on 01.07.1989 (1st
                                July) when it should actually have been 07.01.1989 (7th January):

https://www.officialcharts.com/artist/24967/roachford/

.....actually, the first single's date is similarly wrong too - 06.11.1988 instead of 11.06.1988 - although it's still in
                                chronologically the right order.....

Comment

• And in the second one tonight, full performances of all four of the previous week's breakers.....

09/02/89 (Presented by Mike Read and Sybil Ruscoe)
                                  (20) Samantha Fox – “I Only Wanna Be With You”
                                  (26) Rick Astley – “Hold Me In Your Arms”
                                  ( Charts 40 - 31 - Sybil Ruscoe / Mike Read )
                                  (11) Yazz – “Fine Time”
                                  (23) Hue and Cry – “Looking For Linda”
                                  Breakers:
                                  - (31) Def Leppard – “Rocket” (video clip)
                                  - (33) Poison – “Every Rose Has Its Thorn” (video clip)
                                  - (32) Texas – “I Don’t Want A Lover” (video clip)
                                  (12) Michael Ball – “Love Changes Everything”
                                  (09) Bobby Brown – “My Prerogative” (video)
                                  ( Charts 30 - 11 - Sybil Ruscoe / Mike Read )
                                  (06) Morrissey – “The Last Of The Famous International Playboys”
                                  ( Charts 10 - 01 - Sybil Ruscoe / Mike Read )
                                  (01) Marc Almond and Gene Pitney – “Something’s Gotten Hold Of My Heart”
                                  (02) Mike & The Mechanics – “The Living Years” (video/credits)

.....and what seemed like a REALLY dull Rick Astley single, compared with much of what had gone before.
                                  But it went on to give him the seventh of a run of eight consecutive top ten hits, after which all of his further
                                  releases peaked much lower down, generally not even reaching the top forty.

The Texas breaker would go on to be the most successful of this week's, peaking at number eight - but
                                  the next five singles from the rock band from Glasgow would then all miss the top forty completely!

I was a bit surprised to hear the usually accurate Mike Read describe the Will To Power hit as a "double-A-side"
                                  in the chart rundown - surely "Baby I Love Your Way / Freebird" was actually a medley of the two songs?

Comment

• Loving Wait more and more.

That Sam Fox song was a terrible version.

Comment

• Tonight's first one:

16/02/89 (Presented by Andy Crane and Mark Goodier)
                                      (20) Def Leppard – “Rocket”
                                      (02) Simple Minds – “Belfast Child” (video)
                                      ( Charts 40 - 31 - Mark Goodier / Andy Crane )
                                      (33) Gloria Estefan – “Can’t Stay Away From You”
                                      (24) Poison – “Every Rose Has Its Thorn” (video)
                                      Breakers:
                                      - (37) Edie Brickell & The New Bohemians – “What I Am” (video clip)
                                      - (38) Pop Will Eat Itself – “Can U Dig It?” (video clip)
                                      - (34) Debbie Gibson – “Lost In Your Eyes” (video clip)
                                      (21) Texas – “I Don’t Want A Lover”

( Charts 30 - 11 - Mark Goodier / Andy Crane )
                                      (17) Sam Brown – “Stop”
                                      (32) The Style Council – “Promised Land”

( Charts 10 - 01 - Mark Goodier / Andy Crane )
                                      (01) Marc Almond & Gene Pitney – “Something’s Gotten Hold Of My Heart” (video)
                                      (29) S’Express – “Hey Music Lover” (video/credits)

In another "packed" programme, there was less than two minutes played from the video of the considerably
                                      longer highest new entry, which wasn't going to climb to number one in the UK but did get there a few weeks
                                      later in the Netherlands. Elsewhere, there was a single that had already been a number one there, five
                                      months earlier in September 1988! Sam Brown's "Stop" had only reached number 52, spending five weeks
                                      in the top 100 when first released in the UK - but was now on its way to a much-improved peak of number
                                      four here. Certainly one of the best songs in this show for me.

Comment

• And the second one tonight:

23/02/89 (Presented by Bruno Brookes and Susie Mathis)
                                        (14) S’Express – “Hey Music Lover”
                                        (04) Michael Jackson – “Leave Me Alone” (video)
                                        ( Charts 40 - 31 - Susie Mathis / Bruno Brookes )
                                        (32) Edie Brickell and The New Bohemians – “What I Am”
                                        (10) Rick Astley – “Hold Me In Your Arms”
                                        Breakers:
                                        - (33) Tyree featuring Kool Rock Steady – “Turn Up The Bass” (video clip)
                                        - (31) Living In A Box – “Blow The House Down” (video clip)
                                        - (30) Tone Loc – “Wild Thing” (video clip)
                                        - (28) Dusty Springfield – “Nothing Has Been Proved” (video clip)
                                        (16) Hue and Cry – “Looking For Linda”
                                        ( Charts 30 - 11 - Susie Mathis / Bruno Brookes )
                                        (02) Michael Ball – “Love Changes Everything”
                                        ( Charts 10 - 02 - Susie Mathis / Bruno Brookes )
                                        (01) Simple Minds – “Belfast Child” (video)
                                        (12) Bananarama and Lananeeneenoonoo – “Help” (video/credits)

Ah.....my memory was somewhat flawed above - the Simple Minds single did climb to number one in the UK! That still only apparently entitled it to less than two and a half minutes of this week's show.

Also suffering from temporary memory loss, "Nothing To Prove" was as close as Bruno Brookes got to the actual title of the Dusty Springfield clip!

Not much that I liked enough to buy here - I did buy the Comic Relief single that was the playout, but I much preferred the version that was just by Bananarama. I didn't really find the contributions of "Lananeenenoonoo" very entertaining. They were, of course, Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders, together with.....who? Until I checked just now, I don't think I ever previously knew that the third member was.....

Spoiler!

Comment

• Tonight's first.....

02/03/89 (Presented by Gary Davies and Anthea Turner)
                                          (17) Living In A Box – “Blow The House Down”
                                          (04) Sam Brown – “Stop”
                                          ( Charts 40 - 31 - Gary Davies / Anthea Turner )
                                          (09) Jason Donovan – “Too Many Broken Hearts” (video)
                                          Breakers:
                                          - (23) Depeche Mode – “Everything Counts” (live) (video clip)
                                          - (26) Deacon Blue – “Wages Day” (video clip)
                                          - (30) Donna Summer – “This Time I Know It’s For Real” (video clip)
                                          - (28) WASP – “Mean Man” (video clip)

(16) Tyree featuring Kool Rock Steady – “Turn Up The Bass”
                                          ( Charts 30 - 11 - Gary Davies / Anthea Turner )
                                          (10) Gloria Estefan – “Can’t Stay Away From You”
                                          (08) Texas – “I Don’t Want A Lover”
                                          ( Charts 10 - 01 - Gary Davies / Anthea Turner )
                                          (01) Simple Minds – “Belfast Child” (video)
                                          (14) Poison – “Every Rose Has Its Thorn” (video/credits)

Anthea Turner began by mentioning the various acts that were "in the studio" - although some of
                                          them had actually been in the studio in earlier weeks, and those performances were being repeated
                                          in this one!

Not for the first time, the involvement of Stock/Aitken /Waterman resulted in one of my favourite releases by
                                          an already well-known artist - in this instance, the hit by Donna Summer. "This Time I Know It's For Real"
                                          was going on to give her a seventh top five success - more than thirteen years after the first, and nine
                                          years after the sixth (her duet with Barbra Streisand, "No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)")..

The Popscene archive lists Tyree as arriving just before the breakers - but I have moved this one to its
                                          correct position, just after them.

Comment

• And the second one tonight was a "Comic Relief" edition.....

09/03/89 (Presented by Nicky Campbell, with Lenny Henry,
                                            plus Gareth Hale and Norman Pace as "The Two Rons")

(17) The Reynolds Girls – “I’d Rather Jack”
                                            (16) Dusty Springfield – “Nothing Has Been Proved”
                                            ( Charts 40 - 31 - Nicky Campbell )
                                            (24) Womack & Womack – “Celebrate The World”
                                            (18) Deacon Blue – “Wages Day”

( Charts 30 - 11 - Nicky Campbell )
                                            (15) Paula Abdul – “Straight Up”
                                            (03) Bananarama & Lananeeneenoonoo – “Help” (video)
                                            (11) Donna Summer – “This Time I Know It’s For Real”

( Charts 10 - 02 - Nicky Campbell )
                                            (01) Jason Donovan – “Too Many Broken Hearts” (video)
                                            (21) WASP – “Mean Man” (video/credits)

No breakers this time - and nothing that I liked very much that hasn't already been mentioned
                                            when seen in recent shows. I did buy the Reynolds Girls single, but most likely when it reached
                                            the bargain bin. This went on to peak at number eight - but was the one and only hit for the
                                            teenage duo from Liverpool.

Comment

• Alexia Sayle was on Sunday Brunch yesterday and he was saying that the reason a lot of comedians had hits was because TOTP was run by the Light Entertainment Department of the BBC. So when a comedian brought out a record it was easy for the department to get them a slot on TOTP. Hence why Russ Abbot and the rest had big hits!
                                              Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham76man View Post
                                                Alexia Sayle was on Sunday Brunch yesterday and he was saying that the reason a lot of comedians had hits was because TOTP was run by the Light Entertainment Department of the BBC. So when a comedian brought out a record it was easy for the department to get them a slot on TOTP. Hence why Russ Abbot and the rest had big hits!
                                                Back in the 70s even the likes of Bruce Forsyth and Ronnie Corbett used to get onto TOTP, performing singles that mercifully weren't hits.

Comment

• Anthea cocking up with Jason’s hit in the first show, referring to it as Too Many Lonely Hearts.

Love Gloria, her songs remind me of being a child - I prefer Anything For You but they’re both gorgeous ballads.

Deacon Blue back with another great song but Texas are ruling the roost at the moment - it’s odd they never had another big hit until 8 years later!

Reynolds Girls looking like extras from Brookside, with what is considered as a low point for SAW - sounds like it was made for Mel and Kim? I’d have probably bought it had I been old enough at the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                                                    Reynolds Girls looking like extras from Brookside, with what is considered as a low point for SAW - sounds like it was made for Mel and Kim?
                                                    It could indeed have been meant for Mel and Kim - maybe they rejected it!

Oddly enough, there's another "Reynolds Girl" - the duo's younger sister Debbie - who initially played Katie Rogers in "Brookside" before the role was taken over for the rest of the series by Diane Burke! A few months before Linda and Aisling sang their hit single on "Top Of The Pops", Debbie had already made a brief appearance on prime-time BBC ONE, interviewed by Terry Wogan at about 6m15s into this clip from 1988's "Children In Need":

Comment

Working...
                                                    X