Top Of The Pops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
    TOTP had a knack of employing irritating presenters - .... Steve Wright... then the inept such as Sybil Ruscoe (who?)
    I should have spotted, and mentioned, that the episodes that were repeated last Friday were the final ones for these two!

Counting down this week - the UKMixParade Top 200 of 2019

Comment

• Great news!
      THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

Comment

• The first one of two tonight, back in the 8pm and 9pm time-slots:

12/10/89 (Presented by Gary Davies)
        (26) Chris Rea – “The Road To Hell”
        (04) Jive Bunny and The Mastermixers – “That’s What I Like” (video)
        ( Charts 40 - 31 )
        (28) Cliff Richard – “Lean On You”
        (14) Belinda Carlisle – “Leave A Light On”
        ( Charts 30 - 11 )
        (10) Milli Vanilli – “Girl I’m Gonna Miss You” (video)
        (23) Sinitta – “Love On A Mountain Top”
        (18) Living In A Box – “Room In Your Heart”
        ( Charts 10 - 01 )
        (01) Black Box – “Ride On Time”
        (22) Fresh 4 featuring Lizz E – “Wishing On A Star” (video/credits)

There was something a bit strange with the picture on the opening performance - it seemed to shrink into a kind of widescreen image, with black bars above and below, rather than filling the screen in the normal way like the rest of the show. Maybe this was intended to obliquely convey the "road" of the song title?

The only new single that I bought from this week's show was the second Jive Bunny medley, soon to be their second UK number one. Although i very much liked quite a few Sinitta's songs, I wasn't keen on this one. None of her later releases that I preferred would reach the top twenty - but this one did, only just!

This seemed like a very quick follow-up to his most recent hit for Cliff Richard - his 102nd hit arrived just seven weeks after the 101st. I can't say that I remembered "Lean On You" at all - maybe because it only climbed to a peak of number seventeen the next week, then quickly dropped down, leaving the top forty four weeks later.

Comment

• And the second one tonight:

19/10/89 (Presented by Mark Goodier)
          (36) D Mob introducing Cathy Dennis – “C’mon & Get My Love”
          (07) Billy Joel – “We Didn’t Start The Fire” (video)
          ( Charts 40 - 31 )
          (33) Martika – “I Feel The Earth Move”
          Breakers:
          - (28) Adeva – “I Thank You” (video clip)
          - (26) Queen – “Scandal” (video clip)
          - (24) De La Soul – “Eye Know” (video clip)
          (09) Cher – “If I Could Turn Back Time” (video)
          (21) Deborah Harry – “I Want That Man”
          ( Charts 30 - 11 )
          (34) Sybil – “Don’t Make Me Over” (video)
          ( Charts 10 - 01 )
          (01) Jive Bunny and The Mastermixers – “That’s What I Like” (video)
          (37) Oh Well – “Oh Well” (video/credits)

I seem to recall that there was much more relatively bare flesh on display in the official video for this song from Cher - it clearly had to be edited a bit to render it more suitable for inclusion in the early-evening time-slot "Top Of The Pops" occupied in 1989.....

A lot from the bottom half of the top forty in this episode - including a closing number in which the title matched the artist name. That happened very occasionally over the many years I had been listening to the chart show - there are no doubt other examples, but the two others that instantly come to my mind were from the first year in which I took an interest in music and the charts - 1978. Those were Hi Tension and Jilted John.

Comment

• Living in a Box....

Talk Talk..

Rich Kids...

Comment

• I love these documentaries on Top of the Pops in the 1980s:

Comment

• Oddly, that album cover for 1980 has nothing to do with the TV series!

Throughout the 70s (and early 80s) Pickwick Records regularly issued budget price albums consisting of cover versions of current hits performed by session musicians.

There was no connection at all to BBC's Top of the Pops....

Comment

• That’s What I Like is quite rubbish compared to Swing The Mood, surprised it also went to #1. Was it all the mobile DJs rushing out to buy it?

Nice to see an early Sybil, loved her 90s stuff! Was that also the first introduction to Cathy Dennis?

Comment

• ^

Agree That's What I Like was weak. The follow up Let's Party was even worse - huge indigestible chunks of classic glam rock Christmas hits - but that also reached Number One, equalling the record set by Gerry and the Pacemakers and Frankie Goes To Hollywood.

Jive Bunny obviously realised if they could get their fourth single to the top they'd be record breakers and upped their game with That Sounds Good To Me in March 1990. It was easily their best effort since Swing the Mood but only reached No.4....

Comment

• The first of two tonight:

26/10/89 (Presented by Bruno Brookes)
                      (03) Rebel MC & Double Trouble – “Street Tuff”
                      (25) Queen – “Scandal” (video)
                      (04) Belinda Carlisle – “Leave A Light On” (video)
                      ( Charts 40 - 31 )
                      (12) Chris Rea – “The Road To Hell” (studio/video}
                      (13) Lisa Stansfield – “All Around The World” (video)
                      (07) Living In A Box – “Room In Your Heart”
                      ( Charts 30 - 11 )
                      (16) De La Soul – “Eye Know” (video)
                      (17) Adeva – “I Thank You”
                      ( Charts 10 - 01 )
                      (01) Jive Bunny and The Mastermixers – “That’s What I Like” (video)
                      (02) Milli Vanilli – “Girl I’m Gonna Miss You” (video/credits)

The future chart-topper from Lisa Stansfield was the only one here that we hadn't already seen quite recently. This time, the Chris Rea performance remained in the normal aspect ratio (full screen) - although widescreen scenes from the video were interspersed with it.....

I thought the most unexpected sample within the second Jive Bunny number one was the "Hawaii Five-O" theme tune - as I was fairly sure that, unlike the others, it hadn't been a chart hit. However, while this is true of the UK, the version by the Ventures that was sampled here actually had been a top five hit in the USA Billboard chart!
                      Last edited by CZB; Fri June 19th, 2020, 20:29.

Comment

• And tonight's second episode:

02/11/89 (Presented by Andy Crane and Anthea Turner)
                        (12) Martika – “I Feel The Earth Move”
                        (19) Luther Vandross – “Never Too Much ‘89” (video)
                        ( Charts 40 - 31 - Andy Crane )
                        (21) D Mob introducing Cathy Dennis – “C’mon And Get My Love” (video)
                        (13) Deborah Harry – “I Want That Man”
                        (02) Milli Vanilli – “Girl I’m Gonna Miss You” (video)
                        ( Charts 30 - 11 - Anthea Turner )
                        (22) Phil Collins – “Another Day In Paradise”
                        Breakers:
                        - (26) The Beloved – “The Sun Rising” (video clip)
                        - (23) Mixmaster – “Grand Piano” (video clip)
                        (17) Kylie Minogue – “Never Too Late”
                        ( Charts 10 - 01 - Andy Crane )
                        (01) Jive Bunny And The Mastermixers – “That’s What I Like” (video)
                        (31) Transvision Vamp – “Born To Be Sold” (video/credits)

Many more tracks making their first appearances in this one - my favourite being the new release by Kylie Minogue. All of her seven previous hits peaked at either number one or number one, so this would become her least successful to date when it only (!) reached number four.

The original version of the George Benson single had stalled at number 44 for him in 1983 - this remix was going to go on to a peak of number 13. If that hadn't been good enough for his record company, perhaps they would have tried a third time - as had happened with another single, "Give Me A Reason". That one reached number 60 in 1986, number 71 in 1987 and finally number 26 in 1988.....

1989 has really continued to be a year in which too many songs were packed in, a lot of them being cut much shorter than I would have liked.

It has been mentioned elsewhere that when the 26th October 1989 edition was originally aired, it was cut short on BBC 1 - losing the last link, the final song and the closing credits because an unexpected news bulletin had left the channel running a few minutes behind schedule, and it was regarded as important to somehow catch up before the main news later that evening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA-egDPjGA0&t=26m10s

Comment

• That’s quite a low debut for Never Too Late! I’m surprised it broke her run of top 2 hits actually.

When you say George Benson do you mean Luther Vandross? it’s odd that Never Too Much wasn’t a hit in its original form but that’s the only one you hear now - the remix is quite crap.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                            When you say George Benson do you mean Luther Vandross?
                            I certainly do! I don't know what happened there. Maybe the two singers had some hits with a few of the same words - like "Never" or "Give" - in their titles, and momentary confusion or distraction somehow led to me not typing the correct name.....

Comment

• Just one this week:

09/11/89 (Presented by Nicky Campbell)
                              (32) Electribe 101 – “Tell Me When The Fever Ended”
                              (29) Eurythmics – “Don’t Ask Me Why” (video)
                              ( Charts 40 - 31 )
                              (25) Linda Ronstadt & Aaron Neville – “Don’t Know Much”
                              (23) New Kids On The Block – “You Got It (The Right Stuff)” (23) (video)
                              (31) The Alarm – “A New South Wales” (video)
                              Breakers:
                              - (38) And Why Not? – “Restless Days (She Screams Out Loud)” (video clip)
                              - (36) Quireboys – “7 O’Clock” (video clip)
                              ( Charts 30 - 11 )
                              (12) Mixmaster – “Grand Piano” (video)
                              (28) Janet Jackson – “Rhythm Nation”
                              ( Charts 10 - 02 )
                              (01) Lisa Stansfield – “All Around The World”
                              (33) The Wonder Stuff – “Golden Green” (video/credits)

Another edition in which the emphasis seemed to be very much on the lower end of the chart instead of what was actually "Top..." - with five singles from the bottom ten of this week's top forty featured. And all of those five turned out to have already achieved their peak positions, disappearing from the top forty after one, two or no further weeks there.

In contrast, my favourite by far of this week was the duet "Don't Know Much" - which would rise rapidly to reach number two. Lisa Stansfield was the new chart-topper this time - but "All Around The World"'s successor was already elsewhere in this week's line-up!

I don't think I've ever heard anyone else describe Mixmaster as "The Pete Waterman of Italy".....

Comment

• The first of two in this hour tonight.....

16/11/89 (Presented by Simon Mayo)
                                (20) 808 State – “Pacific 707”
                                (24) UB40 – “Homely Girl” (video)
                                ( Charts 40 - 31 )
                                (33) Jimmy Somerville and June Miles-Kingston – “Comment Te Dire Adieu”
                                (27) Kaoma – “Lambada” (video)
                                ( Charts 30 - 11 )
                                (15) D Mob introducing Cathy Dennis – “C’mon And Get My Love”
                                (12) Iron Maiden – “Infinite Dreams” (live) (video)
                                Breakers:
                                - (35) Prince and Sheena Easton – “The Arms Of Orion” (video clip)
                                - (34) Fine Young Cannibals – “I’m Not The Man I Used To Be” (video clip)
                                (02) Phil Collins – “Another Day In Paradise” (video)
                                ( Charts 10 - 01 )
                                (01) Lisa Stansfield – “All Around The World”
                                (28) Inner City – “Whatcha Gonna Do With My Lovin’” (video/credits)

I don't suppose many editions of "Top Of The Pops" ever included two songs consecutively in languages other than English - but this one did, with my two favourites of the week. Jimmy Somerville and June Miles-Kingston's duet in French was going to peak at number fourteen in the UK - but, perhaps not surprisingly, reached number three in France! And I became aware quite a bit earlier in 1989 of "Lambada" - Kaoma's version of a song also recorded by many other artists had already become one of the most successful singles sung in Portuguese ever, topping the charts almost everywhere else in Western Europe. That's never been a guarantee of success in the UK, of course - especially for singles with no English version - but this one was going on to peak at number four here.

Comment

• And tonight's second one:

23/11/89 (Presented by Jakki Brambles and Jenny Powell)
                                  (27) Big Fun – “Can’t Shake The Feeling”
                                  (29) Bobby Brown – “Roni” (video)
                                  ( Charts 40 - 31 - Jenny Powell )
                                  (21) Fine Young Cannibals – “I’m Not The Man I Used To Be”
                                  (24) Jeff Wayne – “Eve Of The War” (remix) (video)
                                  (13) The Stone Roses – “Fools Gold”
                                  ( Charts 30 - 11 - Jakki Brambles )
                                  (30) Happy Mondays (with Kirsty MacColl) – “Hallelujah”
                                  (03) Linda Ronstadt and Aaron Neville – “Don’t Know Much”
                                  ( Charts 10 - 02 - Jenny Powell )
                                  (01) New Kids On The Block – “You Got It (The Right Stuff)” (video)
                                  (31) Prince and Sheena Easton – “The Arms Of Orion” (video/credits)

Two hits whose success was strung out over more than a decade in this one! A double-A-side with "What The World Is Waiting For" in this first release (which reached number eight), the Stone Roses' "Fools Gold" would be re-released in 1992, 1995 and 1999 - peaking at 73, 25, and 25 again. And Jeff Wayne's "Eve Of The War" had originally only reached number 36 in 1978 - but this Ben Liebrand remix would vastly improve on that, peaking at number three.

Following in the tradition of other presenters for whom "near enough" was "good enough", Jenny Powell referred to one of tonight's acts as "Happy Monday"....

Comment

• Tonight's two repeats take us into the final month of 1989.....

30/11/89 (Presented by Gary Davies)
                                    (07) Kaoma – “Lambada”
                                    (12) Inner City – “Whatcha Gonna Do With My Lovin’” (video)
                                    ( Charts 40 - 31 )
                                    (10) 808 State – “Pacific 707”
                                    (23) Gloria Estefan – “Get On Your Feet” (video)
                                    (14) Jimmy Somerville & June Miles-Kingston – “Comment Te Dire Adieu”
                                    ( Charts 30 - 11 )
                                    (32) Rob ‘N’ Raz featuring Leila K – “Got To Get”
                                    Breakers:
                                    - (30) Kate Bush – “This Woman’s Work” (video clip)
                                    - (26) Tears For Fears – “Woman In Chains” (video clip)
                                    (33) Tina Turner – “I Don’t Wanna Lose You”
                                    ( Charts 10 - 01 )
                                    (06) UB40 – “Homely Girl” (video/credits)

Everything from the top twenty in this edition has been seen before - and I wasn't tempted to buy any of the five hits featured from the lower half of the top forty, although there were other singles by all of the acts that did impress me! (Well, not Rob 'N' Raz - but their featured singer later did a cover version of probably the only French-language song that had reached the top ten in the UK in 1978.....)

Perhaps Gary Davies was meaning continental Europe in opening the show by saying that "Lambada" had been number one everywhere there. It didn't top the chart in Ireland, where its peak position was the same as in the UK - number four.

Comment

• And tonight's second one:

07/12/89 (Presented by Mark Goodier)
                                      (08) Big Fun – “Can’t Shake The Feeling”
                                      (25) Kate Bush – “This Woman’s Work” (video)
                                      ( Charts 40 - 31 )
                                      (05) Soul II Soul – “Get A Life” (video)
                                      (27) Sydney Youngblood – “Sit & Wait”
                                      (19) Dusty Springfield – “In Private” (video)
                                      ( Charts 30 - 11 )
                                      (03) Jeff Wayne – “Eve Of The War (Ben Liebrand remix)" (video)
                                      Breakers:
                                      - (22) Latino Rave – “Deep Heat ‘89” (video clip)
                                      - (21) Queen – “The Miracle” (video clip)
                                      - (18) Simple Minds – “Sign O’ The Times” (video clip)
                                      (16) Erasure – “You Surround Me” (video)
                                      (07) Jason Donovan – “When You Come Back To Me”
                                      ( Charts 10 - 01 )
                                      (38) Alexander O’Neal – “Hit Mix (Official Bootleg Mega Mix)” (video/credits)

My favourite from this week was the second highest new entry, from Jason Donovan. A few years ago, I was a bit surprised to find this one included in a "Christmas Top 40" aired on several radio stations. Although it was obviously a big hit at Christmas time, it had never struck me as being a particularly seasonal song..... Checking the lyrics fully just now:

Spoiler!

..... I guess it can only have been the reference to "presents" in the third line that made someone think, rather tenuously, that it should qualify!

Comment

• ^
                                        Not just the word "presents" but the first few lines surely?

Yup, it's an Xmas song in my book....
                                        Last edited by Metalweb; Today, 02:43.

Comment

• Originally posted by Metalweb View Post
                                          ^
                                          Not just the word "presents" but the first few lines surely?

Yup, it's an Xmas song in my book....
                                          It was also released in December and had a few xmas bells thrown in here and there in the instrumental

Comment

Working...
                                          X