X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And the second one this week:

06/07/89 (Presented by Nicky Campbell)
    (12) Sonia – “You’ll Never Stop Me Loving You”
    (06) Gladys Knight – “Licence To Kill” (video)
    ( Charts 40 - 31 )
    (22) Monie Love – “Grandpa’s Party”
    (21) Karyn White – “Superwoman” (video)
    Breakers:
    - (30) Bette Midler – "The Wind Beneath My Wings"
    - (32) Danny Wilson – "The Second Summer Of Love"
    - (33) De La Soul – "Say No Go"
    (02) The Beautiful South – “Song For Whoever”
    ( Charts 30 - 11 )
    (05) Pet Shop Boys – “It’s Alright” (video)
    (18) (Rufus and) Chaka Khan – “Ain’t Nobody” (remix) [ Rufus not present! ]
    ( Charts 10 - 02 )
    (01) Soul II Soul – “Back To Life (However Do You Want Me)” (video)
    (26) A Guy Called Gerald – “Voodoo Ray” (video/credits)

An especially rowdy studio audience appeared to drown out quite a bit of Sonia's singing of the opening number - which, I suppose, for some of the audience at home, might actually have seemed like a good thing!

Chaka Khan quickly followed up her remix of her very first hit with.....a remix of her second hit! Another improved peak resulted - "Ain't Nobody" had reached number eight in 1984, but was on the way to number six in 1989. So it must have seemed like a really good idea to follow that up with a remix of her third top forty hit, the chart-topper "I Feel For You", a little later in 1989. But that one ground to a halt at number 45.

Featured for the second and third times respectively, my two favourites of this edition had now reached their peak positions - number six and number two - for Gladys Knight and The Beautiful South.

Another of those weeks for which Popscene didn't list the breakers - I've added them in above as usual.

[ Edited later to correct the title of the Danny Wilson breaker - I misguidedly believed Nicky Campbell without checking, when he called it "The First Summer Of Love" ! ]
    Last edited by CZB; Fri April 10, 2020, 21:20.

Counting down this week - the UKMixParade Top 200 of 2019

Comment

• Living In A Box - Gatecrashing had its airplay stifled after Hillsborough. Though that didn't mean it was banned from TV. Might have gone top 30 with full radio support.

Nicky Campbell so in love with the sound of his own voice he almost forgets Holly Johnson's song title during the countdown.
      Last edited by Blondini; Fri April 17, 2020, 19:09.
      Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

• The first of two tonight:

13/07/89 (Presented by Jakki Brambles and Bruno Brookes)
        (27) Danny Wilson – “The Second Summer Of Love”
        (09) Bette Midler – “Wind Beneath My Wings” (video)
        (22) De La Soul – “Say No Go” (video)
        ( Charts 40 - 31 - Jakki Brambles / Bruno Brookes )
        (18) Michael Jackson – “Liberian Girl” (video)
        (25) Waterfront – “Cry”
        (30) Gloria Estefan – “Don’t Wanna Lose You” (video)
        ( Charts 30 - 11 - Jakki Brambles / Bruno Brookes )
        (31) Norman Cook – “Blame It On The Bassline” (video)
        (28) Kirsty MacColl – “Days” (video)
        (29) LA Mix – “Get Loose” (video)
        (33) Simply Red – “A New Flame” (video)
        ( Charts 10 - 01 - Jakki Brambles / Bruno Brookes )
        (01) Soul II Soul – “Back To Life (However Do You Want Me)” (video)
        (08) Bobby Brown – “On Our Own” (video/credits)

Another new presenter in the form of Jakki Brambles - whose name later seems to have been altered and rebranded following a couple of marriages and with a view to helping to move her career in other directions! She was twenty-two years old at the time of this edition, the first of five in which she appeared in 1989.

Strangely, just two studio performances this time - and otherwise an all-cut-down-video episode! My favourite by far was Kirsty MacColl's version of "Days" - that was on its way to a peak of number twelve, exactly the same position that the original by the Kinks had reached twenty-one years earlier.....

Comment

• Jakki Brambles was/is a stunner. Must have been a strike among musicians or technicians that week? I can't believe Mick Hucknall refused to turn up.
          Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

• And the second tonight.....

20/07/89 (Presented by Gary Davies)
            (02) London Boys – “London Nights”
            (39) Eartha Kitt and Bronski Beat – “Cha Cha Heels” (video)
            (16) Monie Love – “Grandpa’s Party”
            ( Charts 40 - 31 )
            (31) Jive Bunny and The Mastermixers – “Swing The Mood” (video)
            (27) The Blow Monkeys featuring Sylvia Tella – “Choice?”
            ( Charts 30 - 11 )
            (04) Bobby Brown – “On Our Own” (video)
            (36) Doug Lazy – “Let It Roll” (video)
            (06) Rufus and Chaka Khan – “Ain’t Nobody” (remix) (video)
            ( Charts 10 - 02 )
            (01) Sonia – “You’ll Never Stop Me Loving You”
            (32) The Cult – “Edie (Ciao Baby)” (video/credits)

Whoever would have thought that this edition included only the third act that would reach number one with all of their first three hits?!

Gary Davies referred to the London Boys' album release - that matched the peak of this single, number two.

Comment

• I’m playing catch up since the 15/06 episode!
              • I didn’t realise Orange Crush was from the 80s, nor did I know Michael Stipe had long hair once!
              • Sinitta completely pointless at this point
              • Whoever Simon Parkin was, he was very amateur
              • Donna Allen’s second hit was a new one for me - I remember her most for her vocal on the ‘97 hit Saturday which has gone on to be re-recorded as one of the most famous TV theme songs in the UK
              • Sealed With A Kiss must be one of the worst #1s of all time, just dreadful
              • Batdance a real low point for Prince
              • Licence To Kill one of my favourite Bond themes
              • Some great dance music around this summer in the form of Soul II Soul and Black Box
              • Was that weird effect at the end of Holly Johnson to cover up how quickly he walked off stage?
              • Love Beautiful South, loads of great songs to come from them over the next decade
              • Didn’t see much point in Sonia, as enthusiastic as she was she was basically a vehicle for Kylie’s cast-offs
              • London Boys were briefly brilliant, I’d have loved them had I been old enough at the time
              • Didn’t know the Monie Love song, quite fun - a bit Azealia Banks
              • Karyn White - a little bit ahead of its time, lots of similar stuff came in the five years after
              • Voodoo Ray... the epitome of acid house, genius
              • The Chaka Khan remixes are really crap
              • I wasn’t aware Norman Cook had a hit under his own name!
              One criticism of this era of TOTP - too many videos and too many songs crammed into one episode.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                • Whoever Simon Parkin was, he was very amateur
                He's back in tonight's only episode.....

27/07/89 (Presented by Mark Goodier and Simon Parkin)
                (33) The Primitives – “Sick Of It”
                (06) Gloria Estefan – “Don’t Wanna Lose You” (video)
                ( Charts 40 - 31 - Mark Goodier / Simon Parkin )
                (28) Inner City – “Do You Love What You Feel?” (video)
                (14) Kirsty MacColl – “Days”
                Breakers:
                - (35) Gun – “Better Days” (video clip)
                - (37) Paul McCartney – “This One” (video clip)
                - (36) The Stone Roses – “She Bangs The Drums” (video clip)
                (23) Simple Minds – “Kick It In” (video)
                (02) Bros – “Too Much”
                ( Charts 30 - 11 - Mark Goodier / Simon Parkin )
                (17) Simply Red – “A New Flame” (video)
                ( Charts 10 - 02 - Mark Goodier / Simon Parkin )
                (01) Sonia – “You’ll Never Stop Me Loving You”
                (34) Alice Cooper – “Poison” (video/credits)

It looks as it the repeats may be back down to one per week for the foreseeable future - the quite plausible reason I have heard suggested elsewhere is that the "Story Of 1990" programme is not yet completed, and present circumstances mean that it will take longer to do this. Therefore, the rest of 1989's episodes will be spread more thinly so that we don't reach the beginning of1990 as quickly as we might otherwise have done.....

Simon Parkin on Bros: "Next week's number one, I reckon!". No - it would fall to number four the following week, and would then keep going in the same direction for only five more weeks in the top 100.

Nothing of much interest to me in this one except the Kirsty MacColl performance, I'm afraid!

Comment

• That Bros song was awful! Kirsty MacColl and Simply Red the best of the bunch.

Can’t wait for Black Box.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                    Can’t wait for Black Box.
                    Their first appearance is just a fortnight away - but tonight.....

03/08/89 (Presented by Jenny Powell and Steve Wright)
                    (33) Gun – “Better Days”
                    (27) Martika – “Toy Soldiers” (video)
                    ( Charts 40 - 31 - Steve Wright / Jenny Powell )
                    (30) Paul McCartney – “This One”
                    (13) Alice Cooper – “Poison” (video)
                    (19) Transvision Vamp – “Landslide Of Love”
                    ( Charts 30 - 11 - Steve Wright / Jenny Powell )
                    (34) Wendy and Lisa – “Satisfaction”
                    (32) Lightning Seeds – “Pure” (video)
                    (02) Kylie Minogue – “Wouldn’t Change A Thing”
                    ( Charts 10 - 02 - Steve Wright / Jenny Powell )
                    (01) Jive Bunny and The Mastermixers – “Swing The Mood” (video)
                    (26) Shakespear’s Sister – “You’re History” (video/credits)

My favourite of this one was the Transvision Vamp song - the only single by them that I ever bought! I also liked the hits by Martika, Lightning Seeds, Shakespear's Sister and.....Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers! Perhaps surprisingly, as I was very impressed by the first three Kylie Minogue singles that peaked at number two in the UK, I wasn't at all keen on this fourth one.....

Meanwhile, Jenny Powell predicted "a big hit" for opening performers Gun - but this one wasn't going to rise any higher than the position it already occupied! However, they would reach the top ten five years later, with their cover version of Cameo's "Word Up".

Steve Wright described "Poison" as a "surprise hit" for Alice Cooper - which is certainly more concise and polite than saying, however truthfully, "all of the many singles this guy has released in the past fifteen years haven't sold well enough to reach the top forty".

Comment

• Tonight:

10/08/89 (Presented by Bruno Brookes and Sybil Ruscoe)
                      (25) Big Fun – “Blame It On The Boogie”
                      (37) Lisa Stansfield – “This Is The Right Time” (video)
                      ( Charts 40 - 31 - Bruno Brookes / Sybil Ruscoe )
                      (26) Dogs D’Amour – “Satellite Kid”
                      (23) Redhead Kingpin & The FBI – “Do The Right Thing” (video)
                      (13) Shakespear’s Sister – “You’re History”
                      ( Charts 30 - 11 - Bruno Brookes / Sybil Ruscoe )
                      (32) Aswad – “On And On”
                      (35) The Beatmasters featuring Betty Boo – “Hey DJ I Can’t Dance To That Music You’re Playing” (video)
                      (24) Liza Minnelli – “Losing My Mind”
                      ( Charts 10 - 01 - Bruno Brookes / Sybil Ruscoe )
                      (03) Lil Louis – “French Kiss” (video/credits)

The highlight for me by a long way in this edition - one of my favourite singles of 1989, the only top forty hit for Liza Minnelli. Over the next eight months, three follow-ups would miss out, stalling at 46, 62 and 41.....

Sybil Ruscoe correctly mentioned that the opening number previously been a hit for the Jacksons - but, confusingly, at the same time in 1978 it had also been a hit for Mick Jackson (no relation). The description of that chart battle here is, I fear, much more interesting than anything else in this edition of "Top Of The Pops" !

Comment

• Black Box featuring a model pretending to sing Loleatta Holloway's vocals. This is an early version of the record before they were forced to redo the vocal - with Heather Small!
                        French Kiss was infamous for featuring a woman in the throes of pleasure as the tracks slowed down then sped up again. TOTP of course cut it off right at the crucial point.
                        I bought the Gun single - fantastic stuff and better than their higher charting singles.

Fuzzbox's best single Self! (featuring Brian May)
                        Last edited by Blondini; Fri May 15, 2020, 20:16.

Comment

17/08/89 (Presented by Nicky Campbell and Anthea Turner)
                          (11) Black Box – “Ride On Time”
                          (31) Jody Watley with Eric B and Rakim – “Friends” (video)
                          ( Charts 40 - 31 - Nicky Campbell / Anthea Turner )
                          (05) Martika – “Toy Soldiers”
                          (04) Alice Cooper – “Poison” (video)
                          Breakers:
                          - (39) Starlight – “Numero Uno” (video clip)
                          - (40) Alyson Williams – “I Need Your Lovin’” (
                          video clip)
                          - (38) Then Jerico – “Sugar Box” (
                          video clip)
                          (24) Fuzzbox – “Self”

( Charts 30 - 11 - Nicky Campbell / Anthea Turner )
                          (23) Neneh Cherry – “Kisses On The Wind”
                          (26) Queen – “The Invisible Man” (video)
                          ( Charts 10 - 01 - Nicky Campbell / Anthea Turner )

(36) Adeva – “Warning” (video/credits)

Starting off with the single that, in the last five months of 1989, was going to sell more copies than any other in the whole of that year.....and then a performer who Nicky Campbell said was in the running for a major film role. It turned out that.....

Spoiler!

A lot of songs from the lower end of the top forty this week - but, looking further up in the chart, there wasn't actually very much climbing that hadn't been featured in the previous show!
                          Last edited by CZB; Fri May 15, 2020, 20:38.

Comment

• And the second - with an infinitely more preferable presenting duo.....

24/08/89 (Presented by Jakki Brambles and Mark Goodier)
                            (11) The Beatmasters featuring Betty Boo – “Hey DJ I Can’t Dance To That Music You’re Playing”
                            (13) Lisa Stansfield – “This Is The Right Time”
                            ( Charts 40 - 31 - Mark Goodier / Jakki Brambles )
                            (19) Alyson Williams – “I Need Your Lovin’”
                            (17) Starlight – “Numero Uno” (video)
                            (24) Then Jerico – “Sugar Box”
                            ( Charts 30 - 11 - Mark Goodier / Jakki Brambles )
                            (23) Bon Jovi – “Lay Your Hands On Me” (video)
                            (18) Adeva – “Warning” (video)
                            (10) Cliff Richard – “I Just Don’t Have The Heart” (video)
                            ( Charts 10 - 01 - Mark Goodier / Jakki Brambles )
                            (28) Donna Summer – “Love’s About To Change My Heart” (video/credits)

It seems a bit strange to have almost all the studio performances at or near the beginning of the show, so that from about the half-way mark onwards it's videos all the way.....

I bought the Lisa Stansfield single when it reached the bargain bins, although it's far from her best - but nothing else in this one appealed to me at all.

I oouldn't remember how Cliff Richard's 101st single had fared chartwise - I suspected that, like the 100th, its entry position was also its peak. But no - it was about to move up seven places to peak at number three.

Comment

• This is where the next decade of dance domination starts with Black Box. For me it’s the song that kicked off the whole ‘club classics’ era.

Lisa Stansfield also really hitting her stride now. Mad how much Jive Bunny dominated the last six months of ‘89!

Comment

• Wow, Cliff Richard with Pete Waterman on tambourine - what a nightmare

Comment

• Tonight's first:

31/08/89 (Presented by Gary Davies)
                                  (06) Big Fun – “Blame It On The Boogie”
                                  (27) Debbie Gibson – “We Could Be Together” (video)
                                  (26) Guns N’ Roses – “Nightrain” (video)
                                  ( Charts 40 - 31 )
                                  (02) Black Box – “Ride On Time”
                                  (31) Tina Turner – “The Best” (video)
                                  (30) Eurythmics – “Revival”
                                  ( Charts 30 - 11 )
                                  (20) Donna Summer – “Love’s About To Change My Heart” (video)
                                  (09) Tears For Fears – “Sowing The Seeds Of Love” (video)
                                  (21) Damian – “The Time Warp”
                                  ( Charts 10 - 01 )
                                  (29) Malcolm McLaren – “Something’s Jumpin’ In Your Shirt” (video/credits)

Three singles on for the first time this week that I bought - "The Best" (when it reached the bargain bin), "The Time Warp", and the closing number. Unlike the other two, Malcolm McLaren's latest hit wasn't going to go on to reach the top ten in the UK - indeed, it wasn't even going to go any higher than the position it held this week! - but it did reach the top ten in the Netherlands, and fell just a few places short of achieving that in Belgium too. A few years later, it regularly reached a new audience in the UK (along with several impressive continental hits with "memorable" videos....) as part of the Lifestyle Satellite Jukebox.

I noticed that the Lil Louis track was labelled "A French Kiss" in the top ten run-down - I'm pretty sure it was just "French Kiss" everywhere else.

Comment

• And the second:

07/09/89 (Presented by Bruno Brookes)
                                    (32) Marillion – “Hooks In You”
                                    (15) Richard Marx – “Right Here Waiting” (video)
                                    (09) Starlight – “Numero Uno” (video)
                                    ( Charts 40 - 31 )
                                    (20) Prince – “Partyman” (video)
                                    (11) Alyson Williams – “I Need Your Lovin’”
                                    (25) Depeche Mode – “Personal Jesus” (video)
                                    ( Charts 30 - 11 )
                                    (30) Janet Jackson – “Miss You Much” (video)
                                    (03) Jason Donovan – “Everyday (I Love You More)”
                                    ( Charts 10 - 02 )
                                    (01) Black Box – “Ride On Time”
                                    (33) The Cure – “Lovesong (video/credits)

Only one that I bought this time - the Richard Marx single, the second of three popular tracks that Black Box were about to prevent from getting to number one. The first was the new Jason Donovan hit - rather poorer than several of his others, I thought, but at this time he had enough of a fanbase to achieve a number three debut.

Comment

• Black Box at #1 woo!

No recollection of the Jason Donovan one either.

The Best always feels like a 90s song to me, it stood the test of time for so long.

Comment

14/09/89 (Presented by Andy Crane and Simon Mayo)
                                        (07) Damian – “The Time Warp”
                                        (16) Madonna – “Cherish” (video)
                                        ( Charts 40 - 31 - Andy Crane )
                                        (19) Technotronic featuring Felly – “Pump Up The Jam”
                                        (05) Tears For Fears – “Sowing The Seeds Of Love” (video)
                                        ( Charts 30 - 11 - Simon Mayo )
                                        (17) Sydney Youngblood – “If Only I Could”
                                        Breakers:
                                        - (37) London Boys – “Harlem Desire” (video clip)
                                        - (36) Rolling Stones – “Mixed Emotions” (video clip)
                                        - (35) WASP – “Forever Free” (video clip)
                                        (10) Tina Turner – “The Best”
                                        ( Charts 10 - 02 - Andy Crane )
                                        (23) Aerosmith – “Love In An Elevator” (video/credits)

My highlight from this one was the third and final top forty hit for the London Boys, which was on its way to a peak of number 17. That's where the Sydney Youngblood hit was this week - this was going to peak at number three a few weeks later, and I was going to buy it from the bargain bin several weeks after that.

Comment

• And the second....

21/09/89 (Presented by Nicky Campbell)
                                          (21) London Boys – “Harlem Desire”
                                          (17) Aerosmith – “Love In An Elevator” (video)
                                          ( Charts 40 - 31 )
                                          (24) S’Express – “Mantra For A State Of Mind”
                                          (02) Richard Marx – “Right Here Waiting” (video)
                                          ( Charts 30 - 11 )
                                          (19) The Wonder Stuff – “Don’t Let Me Down, Gently”
                                          Breakers:
                                          - (31) The Beautiful South – “You Keep It All In” (video clip)
                                          - (30) Gloria Estefan – “Oye Mi Canto (Hear My Voice)” (video clip)
                                          - (29) Aretha Franklin and Whitney Houston – “It Isn’t, It Wasn’t, It Ain’t Never Gonna Be” (video clip)
                                          - (28) Deacon Blue – “Love And Regret” (video clip)
                                          (25) WASP – “Forever Free” (video)
                                          ( Charts 10 - 02 )
                                          (22) Janet Jackson – “Miss You Much” (video/credits)

For the foreseeable future, the breakers section has now returned to ascending order (especially so this week!) Although I remember everything that was there, my memory of some of the songs performed more fully is much more hazy. I don't suppose that these hits by WASP, the Wonder Stuff or even S'Express really get any airplay nowadays - but I certainly wouldn't recognise them if they did.....

Comment

• Two episodes back-to-back tonight - this is the first:

28/09/89 (Presented by Jenny Powell and Sybil Ruscoe)
                                            (04) Sydney Youngblood – “If Only I Could”
                                            (12) Kate Bush – “The Sensual World” (video)
                                            ( Charts 40 - 31 - Sybil Ruscoe )
                                            (09) The Beautiful South – “You Keep It All In”
                                            (03) Technotronic featuring Felly – “Pump Up The Jam” (video)
                                            ( Charts 30 - 11 - Jenny Powell )
                                            (14) Wet Wet Wet – “Sweet Surrender”
                                            Breakers:
                                            - (29) Billy Joel – “We Didn’t Start The Fire” (video clip)
                                            - (27) Curiosity Killed The Cat – “Name & Number” (video clip)
                                            (06) Erasure – “Drama!” (video)
                                            (23) Gloria Estefan – “Oye Mi Canto (Hear My Voice)”
                                            ( Charts 10 - 01 - Sybil Ruscoe )
                                            (34) Karyn White – “Secret Rendezvous” (video/credits)

Already the second of six top ten hits for the Beautiful South, "You Keep It All In" was my favourite from this
                                            edition. It's one of twelve singles I bought by that group - not all of which were their biggest sales successes!

I didn't recall Jenny Powell normally being quite so irritating as I'm finding her in this one.....

Comment

• And the second:

05/10/89 (Presented by Jakki Brambles and Steve Wright)
                                              (12) Rebel MC and Double Trouble – “Street Tuff”
                                              (18) Cher – “If I Could Turn Back Time” (video)
                                              ( Charts 40 - 31 - Jakki Brambles )
                                              (14) Curiosity Killed The Cat – “Name And Number”
                                              (11) Billy Joel – “We Didn’t Start The Fire” (video)
                                              ( Charts 30 - 11 - Jakki Brambles )
                                              (27) Sonia – “Can’t Forget You”
                                              Breakers:
                                              - (31) Living In A Box – “Room In Your Heart” (video clip)
                                              - (28) Belinda Carlisle – “Leave A Light On” (video clip)
                                              - (24) Milli Vanilli – “Girl I’m Gonna Miss You” (video clip)
                                              (09) Bros – “Chocolate Box” (video)
                                              ( Charts 10 - 01 - Jakki Brambles )
                                              (21) S’Express – “Mantra For A State Of Mind” (video/credits)

The breakers for Milli Vanilli and Belinda Carlisle were my highlights of this one - my favourite singles by both acts. "Girl I'm Gonna Miss You" would beat their previous best success in the UK, peaking at number two - while "Leave A Light On" would reach number four, a considerable improvement on the three previous releases which had ground to a halt at 67, 34 and 54.....

In contrast, another truly dreadful Bros record which wasn't going to improve on its new entry position, and would be gone from the top forty a month later!

A World Cup-themed remake of the Billy Joel hit would be a number one in Ireland the following year:

Comment

• Great to see Sydney Youngblood in the charts now, one of the best songs of that year.

Comment

• 3 records with fake "vocalists" in 1 night! Felly on Pump Up The Jam - was actually Ya Kid K but she didn't want to promote it as it wasn't her usual style - until it became huge and then she became interested in being associated with Technotronic!

And of course Black Box and Milli Vanilli.

Comment

• Pump Up The Jam is also an evergreen tune, never fails to pack a dancefloor even now, alongside Ride On Time.

TOTP had a knack of employing irritating presenters - Anthea Turner, Jenny Powell, Steve Wright... then the inept such as Sybil Ruscoe (who?) and the faceless blonde guys from a few months back. Janice Long and John Peel were the best of the 80s crop by a mile.

In my earliest memories of TOTP (probably 1994) the presenters were random TV personalities or popstars but then they deviated towards more regular faces like Jayne Middlemiss and Jamie Theakston towards the end of the decade.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X