Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Murat
    Originally posted by Rutter
    the Academy awards have something against "singers-turned-actresses" :x Screw them
    *cough* Jennifer Hudson *cough*
    Cher, Bette Midler...

Comment

Originally posted by FadingLight
      Mariah for the Oscars

Comment

Originally posted by 04wayne
        the Academy awards have something against "singers-turned-actresses" :x Screw them
        Cher, Bette Midler...
        ...Bing Crosby, Barbara Streisand...
        Maz fans are maybe forgetting that the actor/ress has to be half-decent before they can be nominated!

This months Empire magazine has a huge feature on Precious. I'll have a read as I think it looks good.

Comment

Is it out in the U.K yet?! I got a copy and I'm going to watch Wish me luck and pass me the tissues
          "I can feel it when your holding me close

You're like your one of the world wonders

I know I’m going under..."

Comment

Originally posted by Dru4life
            Is it out in the U.K yet?!
            January 29th.

Comment

Originally posted by Plym
              Originally posted by 04wayne
              Cher, Bette Midler...
              ...Bing Crosby, Barbara Streisand...
              Maz fans are maybe forgetting that the actor/ress has to be half-decent before they can be nominated!

lol non of them are the same things. Jen didn't have an album out we're talking about somone who has had a 20 year music career. The others were always all rounders. And people have always questioned that Cher award anyway lol (not me)

Comment

Mo'nique for the oscars!
                Beyoncé - 6 Grammys 2010!!!!

Female Artist Of The Decade

U Mad???

Comment

Watched this last night.Great performances all round!Mo'nique was brilliant!Hope she gets an oscar .Some scenes had me on the edge of my seat,in particular the scene when Precious returned home from having her baby and her mum asked to hold it

Comment

Monique responds to criticism at the Critics Choice Awards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhpMTiz4Oqw

I love her. I love this film.
                    Originally posted by Thriller
                    Not a real song, post it in one of your hit This N That threads

Comment

^ Thank you brother.

I just saw the trailer. I didn't cry!

Can't wait to watch it. But who to go with... :-?

Comment

I saw a poster for this on the tube today! Jan 29th... ahhh I'm so excited to go see.

I'mma drag my Mum along with me.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycool
                          I saw a poster for this on the tube today! Jan 29th... ahhh I'm so excited to go see.

I'mma drag my Mum along with me.
                          Yeah I've noticed them around for the last week or so Some of them are huge!

I'm really glad it's got into a major cinema like Vue, not just small independents.

Comment

Saw this tonight. It was just wonderful. Moving, harrowing, funny... I was really blown away. I got myself a copy of the book earlier this year and I'm so glad that, bar a few details, it was faithful to the text.

Mariah was OK, not like amazing but she did a good job. It's easy to totally forget you're watching her. Also her character of Miss Weiss is quite different to the book; in the film she's more empathtic and emotional whereas in the book she's more matter-of-fact and cold.

Mo'Nique and Paula Patton were fantastic, they really nailed their characters. Some of the other supporting characters were good too, like Sherri Shepherd and Precious' classmates. But the girl who played Precious was outstanding.

The only downside was the crowd at the cinema drove me crazy. People kept laughing at totally inappropriate moments. Like a really powerful scene at the beginning when Precious' mother yelled abuse at her at the bottom of the stairs then chased her and hit her, and people started laughing. It was like "WTF are these fools laughing at?!" And some other parts where the Jamaican girl spoke. I wondered if a lot of it was nervous laughter because they didn't know how the react to some parts.

But that aside this is highly recommended, definitely worth seeing and the book is worth reading too if you can get hold of a copy.

My favourite quote:

"You gotta nasty ass mouth"
                            "You gotta nasty ass hat!"

Comment

In fact I enjoyed it so much I saw it again last night...

Comment

Precious nominated for 6 Academy Awards

Best Picture
                                Best Director
                                (Lee Daniels)
                                Best Actress (Gabourey Sidibe)
                                Best Supporting Actress (Mo'Nique)
                                Best Editing
                                Best Adapted Screenplay

Shame I Can See In Color missed out on a nomination for Best Song from all the awards.

Comment

Originally posted by kushi
                                  Monique responds to criticism at the Critics Choice Awards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhpMTiz4Oqw

I love her. I love this film.
                                  Ah I love Mo'Nique! I've been a fan of hers now for years I love how upfront yet patient she is with all the questions. Some interviews I've seen the actors can be so defensive, like everyone is out to get them or something.
                                  My Last.fm

Comment

I saw it tonight and enjoyed it alot too!
                                    The scene where her mother meets her newborn baby for the first time is shocking! My hand was over my mouth for a good 10 minutes after that...
                                    The soundtrack is fantastic too.

Comment

Is this being shown in every cinema? My local cinema, which is an Empire and is HUGE, doesn't seem to be showing it. Is it only in smaller theatres?

Comment

in the Czech republic also no plans to screen it in a couple of weeks!! so i was obliged to download it and i saw it yesterday, simply breathtaking, i just figured out that last year there were so many good movies! the battle of Academy's Best picture is going to be very interesting and thrillin'

Comment

what a sad but good movie!I really enjoyed it! Mariah finally seems to have learnt to act! good for her

I cant stop thinking about how sad this movie was... the girl was just 16 and had all her life ****ed up
                                          Scholasboy is the nicest person in the entire world

Comment

Originally posted by firefly_86

Shame I Can See In Color missed out on a nomination for Best Song from all the awards.
                                            I don't know how that happened because that song is beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by alxx
                                              Originally posted by firefly_86

I don't know how that happened because that song is beautiful.
                                              best from the soundtrack, again totally overlooked heaven quality :evil:

Comment

I saw it last night, it was good. mariah carey is better in acting than in singing

Comment

Mo'Nique got a BAFTA! I wish this was playing at more cinemas. You'd think a film with this much acclaim would get a wider release. It's only playing on 46 screens. So i've not got chance to see it.
                                                  Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (23rd May 20) - Charli XCX, Foxes, Sol Seppy, Moby, Ellie Goulding, Maya Hawke, Tove Lo, Sparks, Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit, Einstürzende Neubauten, Carly Rae Jepsen, Perfume Genius, The Dears, Sara Evans, Transglobal Underground, The Vapors, Alma, Noah Cyrus, Jess Williamson, Ilse DeLange

Comment

Working...
                                                  X