The Walking Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Walking Dead

Vampires, you may have noticed, have been having something of a television moment what with Being Human, True Blood and The Vampire Diaries it's been a fangtastic couple of years for viewers who like their TV with extra bite. But now there's some supernatural competition on its way with AMC the US channel that gave us the Emmy award-winning dramas Mad Men and Breaking Bad soon to broadcast the first season of its new zombie apocalypse show The Walking Dead. An adaptation of Robert Kirkman's ongoing comic series, the show will begin a run of six one-hour episodes on US television in October. And the web is already buzzing with anticipation folllowing the recent premiere of the show's trailer at Comic-Con in San Diego.

It's surprisingly rare to see zombie-apocalypse dramas on TV. Unlike vampires, the poor zombie has been too often relegated to a bit player or a figure of fun. Charlie Brooker's Dead Set recently paid homage to the zombie genre, it the show was ultimately a comedy Kirkman's explicit goal has been to make his zombie comic (which has reached an epic 75 issues so far) a more serious piece of work. In fact the comic has won an Eisner award for its serious, social commentary-approach to the zombie apocalypse concept, and focuses with documentary-like detail on the terrifying ordeals of a group of American survivors suffers from one day to the next. The tagline is: "In a world in ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally start living".

The show is set to air in October in the US and AMC has clearly committed to the show, bringing in The Shawshank Redemption director (and professed fan of the comic) Frank Darabont as writer, director and producer, to work with Robert Kirkman as executive producer. At a Comic-Con panel discussion with the show's cast and crew (which was interrupted by constant fan cheering) there were also promises that the show would not shy away from either the comic's serious tone or its willingness to see its characters meet brutal ends and cross moral boundaries.

The first six episodes will focus on the coming together of a mismatched group of individuals around the American city of Atlanta, and their travails as they try to find a safe haven from the 'shuffling variety' of zombie. Continuing the trend of British actors heading up US shows, This Life's Andrew Lincoln stars as small-town police officer Rick Grimes, unwilling leader of the survivors.

So will The Walking Dead prove to be AMC's big new hit, following Mad Men and Breaking Bad onto the awards podium (and, of course, onto UK television)? Surely it's about time zombies got more television airtime: in film they've had successful outings in 28 Weeks Later, Zombieland and the remake of Dawn of the Dead, to name a few. They are conquering the computer games industry the zombie apocalypse Left 4 Dead co-op series of games has been a smash. Perhaps AMC is about to kick-start a new trend, which sees the vampires step aside, and the zombie given its due on television too.

I've always preferred zombies to vampires, in fact I watch anything with zombies in it! Heard a bit about this last week and really looking forward to it, interesting to see Andrew Lincoln star.

Comment

TRAILER

Looks good! I'm gonna watch this!

Comment

And of course it all kicks off on Hallowe'en...

...for Stateside folk, at least.

Comment

interesting..

poster
          I'm the terminator, bitch talk slick, I'm a have to terminate her \_(?)_/

Comment

Okay so I've seen the pilot/first episode for this and they ARE NOT PLAYING AROUND!
            Within the first 10 minutes you see exactly what this show is going to be like and while there is the expected gore and horror element that goes hand in hand with the Zombie genre it's the unexpected humanity of the show that, I think, will keep an audience coming back for more.
            Instead of thinking in terms of black & white , zombies = bad / humans = good, this is a world of shades of grey. The "walkers" at once draw out our fear but also our sympathy and there are some very touching moments of human/undead intereaction.
            Horror fans rest assured though there is more than enough in there to keep you coming back and there were quite a few moments that were "edge of your seat" material.
            If this single episode is anything to go by then the series is of to a fantastic start and I cannot wait to see how the core cast will be drawn together in the fight to survive as their own kind turns against them.
            Happy endings are just stories that haven't finished yet...

Comment

The pilot shows the show is off to a good start. I felt bad for poor Miley Cyrus in her cameo towards the end..... she became food for the zombies.
              My top 100 artists (2018 edition)

Comment

^ Spoiler alert!

Comment

Starts Friday on FX at 10pm here.

Comment

I didn't enjoy the 1st episode that much, but I'm still interested to see how the upcoming episodes will be like
                    I'm the terminator, bitch talk slick, I'm a have to terminate her \_(?)_/

Comment

Originally posted by irishguy28
                      ^ Spoiler alert!
                      ummm, it would only be a spoiler if anyone even knew what I was referring to. Unless you saw it, you wouldn't even know what I was even talking about. You need a sense of humor pronto, it was supposed to be FUNNY.
                      My top 100 artists (2018 edition)

Comment

Hope this is good!! There's not enough series on at the moment that I watch (I don't watch the vampire series' as doesn't interest me)
                        RIP The Queen Of Disco

Comment

Originally posted by NothingFails
                          ummm, it would only be a spoiler if anyone even knew what I was referring to. Unless you saw it, you wouldn't even know what I was even talking about. You need a sense of humor pronto, it was supposed to be FUNNY.
                          I think instead that I need to walk on eggshells around you.

Comment

Originally posted by NothingFails
                            I felt bad for poor Miley Cyrus in her cameo towards the end..... she became food for the zombies.
                            No, it's Leona not Miley!

The pilot is good! I love that it's already about the zombies on episode one.

Comment

It was OK, though a bit unoriginal - i kept thinking of 28 Days Later. Lincoln's Yank accent is taking some getting used to, as well.
                              Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

Loved it although Lincoln as an American isn't so good and at times the Zombies are kind of funny and cheap looking..

Love the twist that his wife has cheated.
                                "What goes around comes back around my baby"

Comment

Originally posted by Blondini
                                  It was OK, though a bit unoriginal - i kept thinking of 28 Days Later. Lincoln's Yank accent is taking some getting used to, as well.
                                  28 Days Later and the original Walking Dead comic came out at almost the same time. The hospital awakening is literally the *only* similarity, and mere coincidence. The Walking Dead comic has been running for 8 years now.

Comment

I have seen so many movies on Zombies that i am not curious anymore for these kind of shows and waiting for reviews then i will decide whether to watch it or not

Comment

I've only seen positive reviews.

Comment

Already been renewd for a 13 episode 2nd season on the basis of the 2nd episode ratings?!

Comment

It's good, but we have seen it all before in Zombie movies.

Comment

Originally posted by PDC1987
                                            Originally posted by Blondini
                                            28 Days Later and the original Walking Dead comic came out at almost the same time. The hospital awakening is literally the *only* similarity, and mere coincidence. The Walking Dead comic has been running for 8 years now.
                                            It's not just that - it's all zombie films are like this - if you've seen Dawn Of The Dead (the original film), you've seen them all. This does nothing new with it. The comic will have been different precisely because it was a comic.
                                            Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by irishguy28
                                              I've only seen positive reviews.
                                              Watch The Review Show on BBC2 if you can access iPlayer.

Comment

No need, I saw it live.

Comment

Well I think it's great (and I have seen other zombie films!!)

Being a series we will get to know the heroes a lot better (unless they decide to give them a horrible early death)

Hope we get to see the father & son in episode 1 again
                                                  RIP The Queen Of Disco

Comment

Working...
                                                  X