Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serby
    Originally posted by keks
    I love the word "Habseligkeiten" (speak in English: Hub-seh-lish-ky-ten). It means something like "belongings".
    why the sh though, shouldn't it be either lich or lig?
    Everyone in Germany says it differently, i don't even know if it's a regional thing as i have people in my city saying it in a different way, too. Also with numbers.(drei-ßig or drei-ßish)
    ¡Eh, mamá!
    Me quiero matar
    El mundo se va a la mierda
    Y no he hecho nada

Comment

I always thought it was pronounced "dreißish".

It used to really irritate me at school that everyone used to say "Ick bin" instead of "Ich bin", but apparently it's pronounced like that in Berlin. :-?

Comment

@fpfbm54: Words ending with -ig are pronounced like they'd end with -ich. Sounds weird, but that's how it is... E.g. "König" is pronounced as "Könich".

@Airwrecka: Yeah, that's typical Berlin dialect, they usually say "icke" instead of "ich" .

What I can't stand by the way is if people pronounce "China" like "Kina" . Or something very sensitive, "ch" instead of "sch", recto verso. Or if people pronounce "Fisch" like "Füsch", that sounds horrible to my ears .
        Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

Timmy is totally right with the -ig thing pronounced as -ich.

Same goes with Honig/honey.

I love how smooth that sounds.

Comment

I know i was just saying it's kinda weird how everyone says it differently. (at least in my region)

Originally posted by Timmy94
            What I can't stand by the way is if people pronounce "China" like "Kina"
            Uggh i hate that, like why would you even do that? I had loads of teachers who used to say Kemie.. it's Chemie goddamit! :x
            ¡Eh, mamá!
            Me quiero matar
            El mundo se va a la mierda
            Y no he hecho nada

Comment

@keks: Our German teacher told us about it in class 10. The thing is that we didn't believe her at first, but apparently it's true!
              @fpfbm54: Gosh, I can't stand that sound either :x . Apparently they do it a lot in Bavaria .
              Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

@fpfbm54: Words ending with -ig are pronounced like they'd end with -ich. Sounds weird, but that's how it is... E.g. "König" is pronounced as "Könich".
                Yes but not in South Germany. Well, yes, in High German which origins around Hannover, right? It's a regional thing. I tend to say "König", "Kina", Kemie".
                last.fm
                Chun's monthly most listened

Comment

Wait, so if I pronounce Hönig as -ich and König as -ig, am I wrong then? Cos that's how I have been pronouncing them all along.
                  Dans ce convoi de larmes
                  Je te dédie ma mort
                  Et je saigne, saigne encore...

Comment

Tragödie and Komödie remains the top10 awful words in German. So ugly that it makes them be evil.

In Austria, you'd pronounce Hönig with g sound, while my Gemran flatmate says it as -ch.
                    be kind to every kind (also the unkind kind!!!!! )

Comment

Originally posted by lundpop
                      Wait, so if I pronounce Hönig as -ich and König as -ig, am I wrong then? Cos that's how I have been pronouncing them all along.
                      they both should be -ich

Comment

Originally posted by lundpop
                        I think one is supposed to pronounce them all either with -ich or -ig, tho I bet that lots of us, foreigners, mix it. I use both, depending on the word,

Comment

What is Hönig? I only know Honig and König.
                          last.fm

Comment

@Chun: You really say Kina? Oh my god... I live in the south of Germany, too, though, even if you might live even more southwards...

@lundpop: What's Hönig by the way? Just keep in mind from now on that every word ending with -ig is prounced like it'd end with -ich .

Say no to streaming!

Comment

now i mix them letters too. When I think of it, Honig should be Hönig.

Are there a simple word you guy hate? Like, the way they sound and everything. For me, möde sounds like angry/mad. Ich bin möde...meh.

Comment

It's "müde" though . Of course there are words I can't stand, but at the moment none wants to come to my mind...

Say no to streaming!

Comment

Müde not möde.
                                  last.fm

Comment

At school, a lot of people found Fuchs (fox) funny for obvious reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Airwrecka
                                      What's funny about it?

Say no to streaming!

Comment

What's funny about it?
                                        HE FUCHS YOU !!

Comment

What's funny about it?
                                          Because it looks / sounds a bit like a swear word. Vater and Vati used to amuse people too. As did "Ich bin gross und dick". We also used to get a lot of sniggers at the pronunciation of Geographie, so we got told to use Erdkunde.

It was a very immature class.

Comment

What's funny about it?
                                            making love without emotion don't pretend timmy, don't...

btw I'm such a flop. Möde. :-? How on Earth did that happen?

Comment

We also used to get a lot of sniggers at the pronunciation of Geographie, so we got told to use Erdkunde.

It was a very immature class.
                                              Gee-ou-gray-peeP?

Comment

This might help you to see what Learning German is like for non native speakers. They're ordinary words to you guys, but they amuse us.

Comment

Serby, maybe by möde you meant you are tired of möses, the German word for vagina?

Comment

@theArmy: That only sounds like a swear word if you go by British English instead of American English. British English sometimes sounds a bit like German because they don't say dance like däns but dans .
                                                    @Airwrecka: Sounds pretty immature indeed! Reminds me a bit of that one by the way .

Say no to streaming!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X