No announcement yet.

German language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@keks: Our German teacher told us about it in class 10. The thing is that we didn't believe her at first, but apparently it's true!
    @fpfbm54: Gosh, I can't stand that sound either :x . Apparently they do it a lot in Bavaria .
    Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy94
      @fpfbm54: Words ending with -ig are pronounced like they'd end with -ich. Sounds weird, but that's how it is... E.g. "König" is pronounced as "Könich".
      Yes but not in South Germany. Well, yes, in High German which origins around Hannover, right? It's a regional thing. I tend to say "König", "Kina", Kemie".
      last.fm
      Chun's monthly most listened

Comment

Wait, so if I pronounce Hönig as -ich and König as -ig, am I wrong then? Cos that's how I have been pronouncing them all along.
        Dans ce convoi de larmes
        Je te dédie ma mort
        Et je saigne, saigne encore...

Comment

Tragödie and Komödie remains the top10 awful words in German. So ugly that it makes them be evil.

In Austria, you'd pronounce Hönig with g sound, while my Gemran flatmate says it as -ch.
          be kind to every kind (also the unkind kind!!!!! )

Comment

Originally posted by lundpop
            Wait, so if I pronounce Hönig as -ich and König as -ig, am I wrong then? Cos that's how I have been pronouncing them all along.
            they both should be -ich

Comment

Originally posted by lundpop
              I think one is supposed to pronounce them all either with -ich or -ig, tho I bet that lots of us, foreigners, mix it. I use both, depending on the word,

Comment

What is Hönig? I only know Honig and König.
                last.fm

Comment

@Chun: You really say Kina? Oh my god... I live in the south of Germany, too, though, even if you might live even more southwards...

@lundpop: What's Hönig by the way? Just keep in mind from now on that every word ending with -ig is prounced like it'd end with -ich .
                  Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

now i mix them letters too. When I think of it, Honig should be Hönig.

Are there a simple word you guy hate? Like, the way they sound and everything. For me, möde sounds like angry/mad. Ich bin möde...meh.

Comment

It's "müde" though . Of course there are words I can't stand, but at the moment none wants to come to my mind...

Say no to streaming!

Comment

Müde not möde.
                        last.fm

Comment

At school, a lot of people found Fuchs (fox) funny for obvious reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Airwrecka
                            What's funny about it?

Say no to streaming!

Comment

What's funny about it?
                              HE FUCHS YOU !!

Comment

What's funny about it?
                                Because it looks / sounds a bit like a swear word. Vater and Vati used to amuse people too. As did "Ich bin gross und dick". We also used to get a lot of sniggers at the pronunciation of Geographie, so we got told to use Erdkunde.

It was a very immature class.

Comment

What's funny about it?
                                  making love without emotion don't pretend timmy, don't...

btw I'm such a flop. Möde. :-? How on Earth did that happen?

Comment

We also used to get a lot of sniggers at the pronunciation of Geographie, so we got told to use Erdkunde.

Gee-ou-gray-peeP?

Comment

This might help you to see what Learning German is like for non native speakers. They're ordinary words to you guys, but they amuse us.

Comment

Serby, maybe by möde you meant you are tired of möses, the German word for vagina?

Comment

@theArmy: That only sounds like a swear word if you go by British English instead of American English. British English sometimes sounds a bit like German because they don't say dance like däns but dans .
                                          @Airwrecka: Sounds pretty immature indeed! Reminds me a bit of that one by the way .

Say no to streaming!

Comment

Originally posted by keks
                                            Serby, maybe by möde you meant you are tired of möses, the German word for vagina?
                                            Was thinking about that one too tbh
                                            ¡Eh, mamá!
                                            Me quiero matar
                                            El mundo se va a la mierda
                                            Y no he hecho nada

Comment

Originally posted by Serby
                                              We also used to get a lot of sniggers at the pronunciation of Geographie, so we got told to use Erdkunde.

Gee-ou-gray-peeP?
                                              Well, to English school kids it sounds like gayography, and obviously that was mighty hilarious.

Disclaimer: I loved German, but I had an extremely disruptive and immature class who used to just mess about the whole time (as is sadly a very common attitude to most Modern Language classrooms in the Uk). I'm sure if the class had settled down we'd have progressed much quicker, although I did get an A* in my GCSE because I genuinely enjoy languages.

Comment

This might help you to see what Learning German is like for non native speakers. They're ordinary words to you guys, but they amuse us.
                                                don't get the issues with hören, it's normal word. Oh, and it so soesn't sound like gayography, but whatevz.

Originally posted by fpfbm54
                                                Eww, nooo. I only know about muschi or something like that.

Comment

What's funny about it?
                                                  making love without emotion don't pretend timmy, don't...
                                                  I really didn't know. How could I figure out that Fuchs sounds like "f*ck" for non-native speakers? I disn't even get the connection between both .

This sounds like you people are easy to amuse... But then again, we actually laughed when we were taught that you give someone a gift if you have got good intentions .

Originally posted by fpfbm54
                                                  Didn't get that one either... I was like "möde" as in "öde" (=lame) ?

@Airwrecka: Gayography? What a silly class ... Especially since the word exists more or less in your mother tongue as well.

@Serby: Muschi is probably the most popular word to use when refering to the vagina in a not so formal way. Less common ones are Möse, Fotze or of course Scheide. Don't get the fuss with hören either ... And up to now I didn't get why people laughed at the word "dick" !

Say no to streaming!

Comment

Why is "hören" funny for the English?
                                                    last.fm

Comment

don't get the issues with hören, it's normal word. Oh, and it so soesn't sound like gayography, but whatevz.
                                                      I'm guessing it's the similarity to whore. Don't forget a lot of English people are too lazy to actually pronounce the words properly.

Comment

And up to now I didn't get why people laughed at the word "dick" !
                                                        Really though??
                                                        ¡Eh, mamá!
                                                        Me quiero matar
                                                        El mundo se va a la mierda
                                                        Y no he hecho nada

Comment

Dick like in "Oh Timmy you're such a dick."
                                                          last.fm

Comment

I'm guessing it's the similarity to whore. Don't forget a lot of English people are too lazy to actually pronounce the words properly.
                                                            If that's really the case, then you can make a funny word out of almost everything, like seriously ... But then again, I also used to laugh when I read about the French expression "kiffe, kiffe" for the first time .

@fpfbm54: Of course, I mean how should I get the connection ?

Say no to streaming!

Comment

@fpfbm54: Of course, I mean how should I get the connection ?
                                                              http://en-de.dict.cc/?s=dick
                                                              last.fm

Comment

Working...
                                                              X