Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your living situation?

What's your living situation?

It was revealed that July 2020 saw the highest average property price since records began in the UK, with the average sale price for property coming in at 241,604 - even with the coronavirus pandemic. Despite government intervention via various schemes (e.g. Help to Buy scheme, where the British government contribute up to 20% in depositf or first time buyers via an equity loan that has to be repaid by the buyer after 5 years), it is arguably as challenging as it ever has been for buyers to get a foot onto the housing ladder. Therefore, more younger people are either renting or living at home than ever before.

So, what's your situation? I'm fascinated by what the situation is in other countries - in the UK, there is definitely a "work hard to buy your own house" ethos.
    I own my house outright or have paid off my mortgage
    0%
    I own my house, but still paying off mortgage
    23.08%
    I rent but will be ready to buy within 1-3 years
    30.77%
    I rent but buying is currently out of my reach
    15.38%
    I rent but don't have any aspirations to buy
    15.38%
    I live with my parents
    7.69%
    Other (specify in topic)
    7.69%

I chose I rent but buying is currently out of my reach. I don‘t live in the UK though, and buying houses is extremely expensive in the Switzerland.

Comment

I have my own luxury sewer. Poor lessers.
      BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
      98 - OUT

Comment

Turkish economy is so bad, you can't buy a house unless your parents have money or you have some connections to the ruling party and benefit your business thanks to those connections.
        Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

I am in the process of moving to a better flat and to another town... I have found the town, not found the flat yet but I am hoping COVID will bring the prices a bit down
          jio CHARTS NOW: 14/9/2020: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...2#post10465282

Comment

We own our house and have paid some of the mortgage, but not all yet.

I was lucky that my now-husband bought his first house with his then-boyfriend when they moved to the Netherlands. His boyfriend went back to the UK when they broke up and my husband bought his part.
            So when we got together, I moved in with him. After a few years we sold the house and made a lot of profit, so we could buy something better. We bought a brand new apartement and sold it after four years with profit again. We now live in a detached house with a large garden. And as my husband bought his first house when he was just 23, we already paid some of the mortgage.
            My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

@RayRay: Impressive! I haven't got any statistics, but I feel like most people with the aspiration to buy a house start realizing that in their mid-30s around where I live.

I hope that I'll be able to afford a house once I'm in my mid-30s.
              Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
              and everything you stand for?
              Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
              just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

Looks like I've accidentally made poll results uneven=)
                Also, I'm in my 30-s and I do not know anyone from my close friend's circle or even their close friends who managed to take up the loan, buy a house, and already pay out their montage. You have to be either very old or rich but if you are rich you probably wont be taking a loan in the first place!
                Last edited by samlarson; Thu September 10, 2020, 12:42.

Comment

It's funny when you think about the fact that our parents and grandparents could afford to get 3+ children, have stay at home moms, own two cars and buy a house on top all with a sallary for one person. Nowadays if you're lucky you can rent a medium sized flat if you're single, with a child you basically need two people workin if you want to keep some sort of flexibility being able to go on vacations. Nowadays you're probably nearly 40 before you're able to think about owning property if you're parents aren't rich or you inherit something.
                  aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

I lucked out on the location. I'm renting a little house in a more rural environment and have no aspirations to change that within a year or 2 cause I value the calmness and nature a lot, plus I can make noise, play loud music, walk around naked whatever without 10 people seeing me or calling me to be less loud.
                    I've lived here for a few years now and I'll happily tack on a couple more but I do think I might switch to something a little more 'social' later. I love my privacy and the reason I picked this place is cause I needed alone time but now that I got myself a little more together I do spot the difficulties when maintaining a social life. I have to travel for quite some time to meet friends which is starting to become a little bit of an obstacle.

Comment

I rent a studio. I want to attempt to buy my own home in the next 5 years. I would love to buy a property and use it as a rental property for others. That's an eventual goal of mine (if the world doesn't combust)

Comment

I rent but selected the option of buying within 1-3 years - I need to get my savings in order, as key to buying a house in the UK is a very healthy deposit.

Comment

Originally posted by dylonj View Post
                          I rent a studio. I want to attempt to buy my own home in the next 5 years. I would love to buy a property and use it as a rental property for others. That's an eventual goal of mine (if the world doesn't combust)
                          Similar situation here.
                          Akini's Top 100 Albums of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post
                            It's funny when you think about the fact that our parents and grandparents could afford to get 3+ children, have stay at home moms, own two cars and buy a house on top all with a sallary for one person. Nowadays if you're lucky you can rent a medium sized flat if you're single, with a child you basically need two people workin if you want to keep some sort of flexibility being able to go on vacations. Nowadays you're probably nearly 40 before you're able to think about owning property if you're parents aren't rich or you inherit something.
                            In which country do you live? It must be in a very rich country. The Netherlands is a modern European country, but my parents and grandparents couldn't afford two cars. Neither could they afford a lot of stuff we think are basics. My grandmother didn't have a phone, nor a tv for most of her life. My mother's biggest dream was to have a car of her own someday. She mentioned it a few months ago and said she would not have believed she not only would have a car one day, but that it would be a car with all the luxuries that comes with a modern new car.

People here complain sometimes about how both parents "have to" work to have a decent life. But they forget that because the wives stayed at home to look after their 3+ children, there was no money to make faraway trips, no money to buy two cars, no money to have luxury stuff like phones and tv's.

Comment

I feel blessed to own. I was lucky to purchase my place before prices started skyrocketing. I'm not sure if related, but prices blew up not long after pot was legalized here.

It was affordable because it's on the edge of civilization, but the trade-off is my backyard view.
                              20200815_194629-EFFECTS.jpg

Comment

What a gorgeous view cheapthrills!

Comment

I love that view. Can imagine walking the dogs there.

Comment

cheapthrills Great view!

I rent but am thinking of buying a flat of my own in the next year or two. Honestly tired of having my money go to someone else each month, I’d rather pay a loan and end up with the flat later. Not super excited about the loan thing but yeah... this is so far the only way for me to get my own place.
                                    last.fm

Comment

Working...
                                    X