No announcement yet.

September Shread for Fat loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see new members getting instructed from time to time. Basically they're getting the same treatment as I did back in the day: They start with the circuit, which consists of e-versions of the machines I use. It's a program that measures your ideal working weight (you can also type it in manually) and you need to do a fix number of repetitions before you take a break and move on to the next machine. That's easy and the instructors had supported me in using them, but after half a year, I gradually moved on to the manual machines as I considered them more flexible for my needs. That's probably the case with most of the younger people. Some members, probably for health reasons, have got a proper program, but that's another story.
    There is a space with free weights, where I've been to a few times as I attended a few courses in the past. Basically, you find the more muscular men there, which probably have been training for years at the gym already ;) . I feel like my gym promotes that area in a 'Well, we are bound to have that area and we don't mind you training there, but if you used the other areas, that would be great!' way. I'm a bit insecure about free weights because the wrong use of them can put a lot of damage to your body. However, there's a muscular guy I've had a few random small talks with and maybe I'll be brave enough to ask him whether we'd want to do a workout together someday.
    Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
    and everything you stand for?
    Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
    just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

Instructors in the gym dont really care about you, they just want your money lol. So of course they will throw you the same by the numbers circuit and leave you to rot there as long as they get your money every month!!

Comment

Day 7 of Program - Cardio and Stretching to be done later. I will probably go for an easy 40 min run.

Day 8 - well deserved rest day

Comment

I also did a rest-day today. Regarding the muscle ache thing: I recently read about drop sets. Would you suggest to try them out when I notice that I still have power but am not able to do another rep with the weight I'm currently working with? And if yes, how many sets in total?

Comment

Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
            I also did a rest-day today. Regarding the muscle ache thing: I recently read about drop sets. Would you suggest to try them out when I notice that I still have power but am not able to do another rep with the weight I'm currently working with? And if yes, how many sets in total?
            Yes sure, keep dropping till you cant move your arms. But only do it on the fourth set. And you have to move quickly through the drop, not taking five mins between each one.

I strained a muscle in my back running today so will prob have to rest for a few days.

Comment

Today, I did a mix of upper body exercises (2/3) and lower body exercises (1/3). I noticed that I indeed take long breaks between sets, so I tried to reduce that period of break, and when I felt like I was nearing my peak abilities, I reduced the weight drop set-style (2/3 of the training weight at lowest though). Especially when doing the leg press, I noticed that I give up way too early .
              As arms are my weak spot and I couldn't properly train arms during the last 10 days, I simply took the balls to ask the instructor about ideas and he gave me an appointment where an instructor could show me how to workout my arms properly. In October, I'll have quite a lot of time, so I better use that time wisely .

Comment

^ 3 exercises LOL.

Also you seem to be obsessed with the weight you are using. That makes no difference when it comes to actually forcing change in the body. It's the effect on the muscles that matter.

I would challenge you to set a timer for 20 seconds work and 10 seconds rest for 8 rounds, 4 mins total.
                Pick up 5kg weights and see how many rounds you last like that doing Shoulder Press and Bicep Curls and maybe Chest Press ( go heavier for this) Drop weights when needed. 10 seconds rest ONLY between sets.
                See how your muscles start to feel during it.
                That is the feeling you need to force CHANGE.
                Last edited by InFamous; Wed September 16, 2020, 16:11.

Comment

No, not just 3 exercises, 2/3 as in 66.67% of the training period ;) . Obsessed is a hard word... There was a time when I steadily wanted to increase the weight by all means. I'm not like that anymore. Of course, I want to increase the weight, but rather when I feel like it's the right moment to do so.
                  I think I've written it before, but my endurance is shitty. Your plan sounds great, but no way would a break of 10 seconds between sets be enough for me to actually recover. For a cardio training, that sounds like a plan actually. I usually go for a minute and from what I've seen, that's what other people do.

Comment

No, not just 3 exercises, 2/3 as in 66.67% of the training period ;) . Obsessed is a hard word... There was a time when I steadily wanted to increase the weight by all means. I'm not like that anymore. Of course, I want to increase the weight, but rather when I feel like it's the right moment to do so.
                    I think I've written it before, but my endurance is shitty. Your plan sounds great, but no way would a break of 10 seconds between sets be enough for me to actually recover. For a cardio training, that sounds like a plan actually. I usually go for a minute and from what I've seen, that's what other people do.
                    You're not doing cardio moves. You are doing weighted moves with a light weight to effect muscle breakdown and force change.
                    why don't you try it before saying I can't do it and making excuses about your endurance. Also you're relatively young. Your endurance shouldn't be a limiting factor. And you are not testing endurance in the sets I provided. I want you to do it to see what muscle breakdown feels like.. and to show you that the actual weight doesn't matter.

Comment

I can't promise that I'll instantly put it into action tomorrow, but I'll keep it in mind ;) .

Comment

I can't promise that I'll instantly put it into action tomorrow, but I'll keep it in mind ;) .
                        Enjoy never changing lol, you're one of these people who ask for help and advice then decide actually I'll just do what i have always done. It's literally 4 minutes.

Comment

You're right, I'm definitely the type of person who likes to stick to established formulas and doesn't like to try out new things. It doesn't help that I hate making choices ^^ . But you're actually right: You can't lose anything by trying out a new kind of training.

Comment

Messy day for me: Haven't had to work in job A but instead substitute for job B. That way I haven't had much time for my workout, but I did a bit. My right wrist still hurts when putting a lot of pressure on it, so no pull ups and biceps curls yet. Today, I did triceps, shoulder press, chest press, low row and butterfly. I'm thinking about skipping arms entirely until the appointment in 10 days and focus on the other upper body parties and a bit lower body instead. Recently, I feel like my chest area is actually growing .

Comment

Today: upper body with chest press, low row, butterfly and lat pull. Recently, I can see a lot of gains in the chest area despite not going higher with the weight (It has to be going to the max of power and doing the proper execution). A tight shirt and my pecs are already slightly bulging. That's totally new for me and as someone who's neither received any compliments for his looks nor had sporty ambitions in his younger years, I feel I have the right to brag a little about that ^^ . No seriously, in the beginning, I couldn't see any progress for so long, so it was the motivation in achieving something someday that kept me going, while now it's actually seeing the results and wondering how much more is possible . I'm already quite satisfied with legs and glutes (I don't mind more, especially from the latter, though - obviously ^^ !), the chest is finally starting to take off. I hope that I could make some progress with arms in October, as previously reported, and abs will be my winter project ;) .

Comment

Short leg day (45 minutes): glutes, leg extension, leg curls, abductors and calves. Leg extensions and calves are my favorites; the rest is rather out of necessity than passion ^^ . Out of upper body I, upper body II and lower body, I like the latter the most, but I gotta watch what and when I eat because leg press or glutes can feel uncomfortable with a full-ish belly :/ .

Comment

Hey InFamous ,

any news from your side? I had my appointment today as I told you before. At first, the trainer did a body check with me and although I would've thought that I was making gains in the chest and legs area, the results were pretty meh. It's basically stability for months, which is not the best if your goal is to actually gain muscles. He told me that I definitely have got to eat more and that's funny because I had a calory tracking app on which I entered my daily food intake like half a year ago. That's when I gained mass (too) easily. Ever since, I thought like 'I've got a feeling about what I need to eat for it to be enough.' and skipped the tracking. Recently, I've lost a few pounds and I want to eat them back in a healthy way. The trainer didn't speak about drinking, but I know that I'm definitely not drinking enough. During college days, sitting a lot made it easy to eat and especially drink enough (I told myself: 'At the end of the college days, those two bottles have to be empty.') just to waste time ;) . Not possible because of f-ing Corona :/ . I have got a slow digestion, so the challenge is to eat enough but at the right times in order not to feel full during training or during work.
                                  Then we went on to the training part and, some of the tips are the ones you had given me before ;) , we went through some of the exercises he considers useful for my plans. As you know, I take too long breaks, and he mostly gave me the advice to go for repetitions rather than high weight, watch that my posture is proper and to for breaks of about 45 seconds between sets. Day 1 includes chest press (machine), butterfly (machine), biceps curls and triceps at the cable tower and two shoulder exercises with dumbbells (to the sides and to the top). Taking chest press as an example: I had gone as high as 50kg, but that's the maximum I'm able to and no way could I do 3 sets with 12 repetitions with that ;) . We settled with 35kg and initially it doesn't feel heavy, but after the aforementioned amount of sets, you can tell that you feel done ^^ .
                                  Tomorrow, there's day 2 and the programm is going to focus on back and legs (Well, with the exception of biceps being included as well). The trainer is going to watch over it again and I'm going to give more information tomorrow. I hope that this plan will work off and that I'm finally coming closer to my goals.

Best regards

Comment

!! So basically he told you what I told you for free weeks ago

Comment

Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                      !! So basically he told you what I told you for free weeks ago
                                      First things first, it was a free appointment, so no money spent besides my usual monthly fee I'd pay either way ;) . I never said you're wrong about anything and, in fact, thanked you multiple times. I simply found it hard to put written advice into action, so it helped that the trainer went through each exercise with me.

Comment

First things first, it was a free appointment, so no money spent besides my usual monthly fee I'd pay either way ;) . I never said you're wrong about anything and, in fact, thanked you multiple times. I simply found it hard to put written advice into action, so it helped that the trainer went through each exercise with me.
                                        You found it hard to reduce your rest time to 45 seconds until a trainer told you lol. Chile

Comment

Well, I'm complicated and don't expect you to understand. Weight training is the kind of topic you ask 10 people and get 10 different suggestions what to do and what not to do. I try out all kinds of things and hope to find my way through this jungle somehow ;) .

Comment

Well, I'm complicated and don't expect you to understand. Weight training is the kind of topic you ask 10 people and get 10 different suggestions what to do and what not to do. I try out all kinds of things and hope to find my way through this jungle somehow ;) .
                                            Not really. I gave you different things to try out and you tried none of them and two weeks ago you told me you found it hard to change your methods and liked to stick to the one thing. Now you are saying you try out all kinds of things

I don't think you even remember what you said from one week to the next so let me wish you the best of luck with your journey and move on !!

Comment

Thanks for wishing me good luck! In my own world, what sounds complicated to you makes sense to me, but yeah, I definitely don't expect you to understand ;) .

Comment

You're right, I'm definitely the type of person who likes to stick to established formulas and doesn't like to try out new things.
                                                I try out all kinds of things and hope to find my way through this jungle somehow ;)

Comment

Sounds close but not quite. I prefer consistency and established patterns. In order to get there, I am sometimes bound to try out new things as the previous routine does not help me reach the goal I approach. You see, I don't like it, but I do it whenever it's a necessity.

Comment

Day 2 consists of low row, lat pull, chin up, biceps curls, leg extensions, leg curls and leg press. The trainer came to me at a later point, so initially, I had trained by intuition. He had a look at how I did some of the exercises and he basically repeated the advice he gave me yesterday, so I'll reduce the weight of most of the aforementioned exercises by 10kg (leg press: 20kg). At some points during the training, I felt exhausted, but I assume that it's rather been due to the repetitions than the weight itself. It's obviously not the first time that I've heard that the ideal amount of repetitions to gain muscles is 10x per set, but it somehow competed with the idea that high weight = gain muscles in my head. So I'll stick with the former now throughout October and hope that it'll work for me.
                                                    Regarding rest day: Would day 1 - day 2 - rest day repeat be alright? I've got plenty of time at the moment, so another rest day between day 1 and 2 would seem unnecessary to me at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X