No announcement yet.

Learning To Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@samra: Is it allowed to drive around just with your parent if you're a learner driver in Australia? In Germany, it's not, you're only allowed to drive with the instructor by your side, which has the disadvantage that you can't exercise apart from those lessons that cost (a lot of) money. There are certain places you can go with your parent (known as Verkehrsübungsplätze and I've also been to one, but I'm not sure how realistic it is when being considered a preparation for the "real" traffic.
    Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

People up the wall lol
      You can never have enough luxury lemon drizzle cake

Comment

Originally posted by Serby
        Driving is just the most boring thing ever. :x And it's not our fault that Aussie has shit public transport, oops.

I got my license 2 years ago or so, had around 40h or practice (that's enough and I didn't know how to start a car back then lol). Anyway, 2 years later, having moved to big city with amazing public transport, and well, not having a car, I think I forgot absoultely everything. Passed both theory and practical part from first try and managed to forget everything. Ugh.
        Gurl bye! Driving is everything!!! The freedom, the convenience, the fun! Getting to go for Maccas runs, blasting music #truthlessstyle, etc.

I do wish our public transport wasn't such a mess tho!

Originally posted by Timmy94
        @samra: Is it allowed to drive around just with your parent if you're a learner driver in Australia? In Germany, it's not, you're only allowed to drive with the constructor by your side, which has the disadvantage that you can't exercise apart from those lessons that cost (a lot of) money. There are certain places you can go with your parent (known as Verkehrsübungsplätze and I've also been to one, but I'm not sure how realistic it is when being considered a preparation for the "real" traffic.
        Yep, as long as you're under the supervision of a fully licensed driver, it's all good. You don't need any official lessons to get a driver's license. However, for the first 10 hours of driving you do with an instructor, each hour counts as 3 hours so that's a benefit but still not really worth the cost. IDK about other states but that's how NSW works.

That rule in Germany is dumb. After a certain number of lessons, you should be allowed to drive under the supervision of fully licensed drivers so you can practice. And that Verwidbwvaassdfggkrlpdcb thingy does not look like it prepares you for the real world at all.

Actually NSW is kinda dumb too. After you turn 25, you don't need to complete a minimum number of hours. I think you just need to be able to pass the driving test. They should have to do like 50hrs at least.
        Listen to my 2016 Eurovision Song Contest entry: MIRACLE

Comment

Gas prices, getting stuck in traffic jam, someone almost killing you while casually driving. etc. Yeah, driving is quite meh.
          be kind to every kind (also the unkind kind!!!!! )

Comment

Gas prices, getting stuck in traffic jam, someone almost killing you while casually driving. etc. Yeah, driving is quite meh.
            Ever increasing cigarette prices, getting stuck in designated smoking areas while the rest of society watches you, killing yourself slowly with every inhale. Yeh smoking is quite meh.

Comment

Originally posted by samra
              Ever increasing cigarette prices, getting stuck in designated smoking areas while the rest of society watches you, killing yourself slowly with every inhale. Yeh smoking is quite meh.
              lmao, "i've no arguments, so lemme come back with argument about totally unrelated topic"

step up your game, samra, c'mon! after all, you're coming from a country where cangaroos are heavily used for transport, so you know cars are not needed in Oz.

Comment

No sis, the point I'm basically making is how your arguments against cars are as meaningless to me as my arguments against smoking are to you!

Comment

@samra: But keep in mind that Germany is the country of bureaucracy. At least I had to pass a certain minimum of theoretical lessons and had to hand in quite a lot of information of me and my parents. You're supposed to do multiple choice tests until you have most of the answers correct. After you've done a first aid course (that one goes on for a whole day and passport photographs and a visual test are taken as well) and handed in your confirmations, you can apply for the theoretical test. Your instructor finds you an ideal date and then you go to the central auditing agency where you do a multiple choice test on a PC. It's basically the same type of test than the one you did as exercises. If you've passed it, then you can go on with the practical part; if not, your instructor has to find a new date. In the practical part, you have a minimum of hours to drive including different types of streets (e.g. highway by night). In my case, you usually had two learners in the car and after one of them drove for like 3/4 of an hour, the other one continued and the first one observed the driver from the outside. Everything you learned before in a theoretical way (e.g. traffic signs, all kinds of rules, the single parts of a car) is what you learn in an applied way now and you concretely learn what to do when in your car. If the instructor thinks you're fine, he/she will apply for a date for you to do the practical test. And again, you come to that auditing agency, you have to pay a certain fee and then you have a usual driving lesson with the exception that an additional examiner is in the car and tells you what to do. If the examiner is pleased, you've passed the test, you have to sign a few more papers and that's it. If not, your instructor has to apply for another date and the whole thing starts again.
                  My personal record during the practical test was that I failed after less than 5 minutes, shame on me .
                  Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

Well, smoking in bioth Serbia and Austria is very common thing and especially in S you can smoke about everywhere (some restaurants and bars having separated areas).

Well, okay. I was kinda joking, ofc I get why people like cars, but it's often slow, costly and requieres concentration, whereas public trasport is carefree.

Comment

Well, okay. I was kinda joking, ofc I get why people like cars, but it's often slow, costly and requieres concentration, whereas public trasport is carefree.
                      Definitely, the right word is carefree! You always need to be fully concentrated when driving a car, while you can always use public transports, no matter if you're ill/sleepy/whatever, and be sure that you reach your goal because someone else has to take care of you (= the driver). Public transports are environmentally-friendly since many people use them at the same time instead of one using a vehicle each and cost-efficient (I don't have to pay anything due to a season ticket already being included in my college fee, but even if you no longer go to college, a season ticket is very affordable in the long run).

What matters is if you're living on the countryside or in the city. If you're living in the city, you arrive at your target much faster with public transports due to the busy traffic. On the countryside, it heavily depends since not every village has a railroad station and buses only drive every now and then.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

@samra: Is it allowed to drive around just with your parent if you're a learner driver in Australia? In Germany, it's not, you're only allowed to drive with the instructor by your side
                        my dad taught me how to drive in the vineyard

I hate being dependent on public transport, with a car you can go where you like, when you like. It's just not the same if you have to look for bus connections or call a taxi first. And most public transport system don't operate 24/7, there's nothing worse than missing the last train home or being stuck at home because of holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by Rihab95
                          @samra: Is it allowed to drive around just with your parent if you're a learner driver in Australia? In Germany, it's not, you're only allowed to drive with the instructor by your side
                          my dad taught me how to drive in the vineyard

I hate being dependent on public transport, with a car you can go where you like, when you like. It's just not the same if you have to look for bus connections or call a taxi first. And most public transport system don't operate 24/7, there's nothing worse than missing the last train home or being stuck at home because of holidays.
                          And what you do when you lose the last train? Sleep in subway?

Comment

Nnnn DB is a mess, we all know that, but ÖBB is better. #oop

Idk, public transport goes every 2-10 minutes during the day, depending in the line and time of the day line, during the night there are busses every 30 mins or taxis that drive you free of costs if there's no bus covering that area of the city. I do think cars ar epractical for far away journey (not always, though), but for everyday stuff for the life in the city, cars are awful. I forgot to mention the thing that is no parking place to be found anywhere near and the super expensive hour rates.

Comment

But then again, you have to add that you live in Austria's capital and of course public transport works there. But how about the public transport in some Austrian villages (= less than 10k inhabitants)?

Say no to streaming!

Comment

Originally posted by Bhaggers
                                Wayne you're not alone! I had a traumatic lesson at age 17 and haven't touched a steering wheel since. Nearly 24 now!
                                I had a traumatic experience the 2nd time I got behind the wheel at 19 and haven't touched a steering wheel since then either....and I'll be 31 at the end of this year. My experience wasn't with an instructor, but with my Mum out on the open road and it had been quite a while since my first lesson as well.

Got no plans to get my L's again either at present - as shite as Sydney's public transport system is/can be (which samra will attest to), I can still get around if I want to. It sucks not being able to drive sometimes, but given my anxious tendencies, I'd rather not give myself a coronary behind the wheel...plus I'm on the heavy-handed side.
                                Let's embrace the point of no return.

Comment

But then again, you have to add that you live in Austria's capital and of course public transport works there. But how about the public transport in some Austrian villages (= less than 10k inhabitants)?
                                  I was kinda talking about life in city. Ofc, when living in small places, car is kinda a must, but in capital, there's no need for the car when wanting to got to work, friends, going out etc.

Comment

I was kinda talking about life in city. Ofc, when living in small places, car is kinda a must, but in capital, there's no need for the car when wanting to got to work, friends, going out etc.
                                    That's not an Austrian phenomenon though. I guess it's the same with every bigger city (100k+ inhabitants) in 1st World Countries.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

Speaking of traumatic experience..

I got my license before I turned 21 after like a month of classes from a driving school. Over a year later, I got into a car accident that almost killed me and my brother. Never renewed my license again! Now I have to take the cab or have someone drive me because I could never see myself behind the steering wheel again because of that traumatic experience.

Comment

I would recommend learning over a longer period of time. I find driving quite tiring, what with all the variables on the road that compete for your attention, so spreading it out over a few months would probably prove more effective than draining yourself mentally and physically to finish speedily.

Of course, sometimes when you do that, you end up like me and lose all motivation to actually get through the process, or life gets in the way and you push the license hustle back. There are pros and cons to both, but, ultimately, you have to go with what works best for you.
                                        Akini's Top 400 Songs of the 2010s: [Starting soon]

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Comment

A lot of kids at my school drive with just a permit lol. Once they tell me they don't got a licence, I immediately put on my seat belt and hold onto something.
                                          CATCH YA IN 2017

Comment

Working...
                                          X