Learning To Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning To Drive

There is possibly another topic on this, but can't search it out properly as posting on my phone.

Anyway, learning to drive! I am ashamed to say that at the princely age of 25, I have still not learned. Although my job isn't field based, I do feel as though I am held back my not being able to drive and I do also feel as though there will be financial benefits to learning [I spend £250 per month on taxis - that would essentially cover my insurance and possibly some petrol too]. I have therefore decided that I will be taking the plunge next month and will be learning. What I cannot decide on is whether or not to go for the intense course [over 2 weeks - 30 hours of learning with the test at the end = £650] or whether to learn over a longer period of time. Any advice?

What about you guys? How did y'all learn?

I'm currently doing my license

Comment

Better late than never .

Why do you ride by taxi though? Wouldn't it be much cheaper to use public transports instead? I have got a car, but since I have a season ticket due to my studies (automatically included in the costs I have to pay each semester), I of course try to take advantage of that as often as possible.

I took ages to do my license though, shame on me . I had to take looooots of theoretical and practical lessons and failed the theoretical test once and the practical one four times. Spongebob, who ? But what matters is that I got my license in the end
      Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy94
        Why do you ride by taxi though?
        I can't travel by bus.

Comment

Wayne you're not alone! I had a traumatic lesson at age 17 and haven't touched a steering wheel since. Nearly 24 now!
          tell the others you've gone to sea...

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne
            Why do you ride by taxi though?
            I can't travel by bus.
            Why can't you?
            Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

It's never too late. You don't have to be ashamed either. My mother received her driving license with 40.

I received my driving license over two years ago. I mean, it's no biggie at all. It all depends on your driving teacher (Not sure if its called like that in English). Some people just have bad luck with their teachers. They might turn out to be big a** who just want your money. My teacher was alright I guess. We, at times, yelled at each other, but I think he teached me well enough.. So that I could take on the practical part.

Intense course for the theoretical part? I'm not sure, how it works in the UK. Does it mean, that you will receive your driving license after the intense course? Does it contain practical training too? Like driving etc.? If yes... 2 weeks might be a little hasty... I got in touch with all the stuff just after a few weeks or so. Driving surely isn't as easy as some people might think. Obviously, over two years passed since I received my driving license.. So it's pretty much easy for me to drive. But take your time with it IMO. Surely, you won't be perfect after you received the license either. But with time, you will be good.

Comment

Originally posted by truthless
                Intense course for the theoretical part? I'm not sure, how it works in the UK. Does it mean, that you will receive your driving license after the intense course? Does it contain practical training too? Like driving etc.? If yes... 2 weeks might be little hasty... I got in touch with all the stuff just after a few weeks or so. Driving surely isn't as easy as some people might think. Obviously, over two years passed since I received my driving license.. So it's pretty much easy for me to drive. But take your time with it IMO. Surely, you won't be perfect after you received the license either. But with time, you will be good.
                Great advice, truth!

I think "ashamed" was the wrong word, I meant more regretful. All of my friends learned at a young age, I was too busy working and getting drunk.

In terms of the intensive, you basically have 4 months worth of learning crammed into 2 weeks - you have to sit your theory test during this time, so that you can then complete your actual driving test at the end.

Comment

I plan to do it in about 2 years, when I'm 24. just see no particular reason to do it now. I have too much stuff on my hands, no time to attend lessons etc., I live in a city where it's way more practical to use public transport (or walk cause I'm a cheap bastard), and most of all I wouldn't even have a car to drive.

in 2 years most of my college work will be gone, and I'll have more time to dedicate myself to the driving exams

it's so darn expensive tho but my parents are gonna pay so idc #yolo, nah just kidding I will really appreciate it and try to pay at least a part of it with my own money. or at least pay all the extra tests when I fail consistently
                  last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne
                    Originally posted by truthless
                    Intense course for the theoretical part? I'm not sure, how it works in the UK. Does it mean, that you will receive your driving license after the intense course? Does it contain practical training too? Like driving etc.? If yes... 2 weeks might be little hasty... I got in touch with all the stuff just after a few weeks or so. Driving surely isn't as easy as some people might think. Obviously, over two years passed since I received my driving license.. So it's pretty much easy for me to drive. But take your time with it IMO. Surely, you won't be perfect after you received the license either. But with time, you will be good.
                    Great advice, truth!

I think "ashamed" was the wrong word, I meant more regretful. All of my friends learned at a young age, I was too busy working and getting drunk.

In terms of the intensive, you basically have 4 months worth of learning crammed into 2 weeks - you have to sit your theory test during this time, so that you can then complete your actual driving test at the end.
                    Glad I could help you.

Ah got ya. Oh well .

So thats how it would work? As I said. I don't know, if its good that way. I think I did my license in like 3 months or a little less. After I passed the theoretical part, I basically had 2-3 times a week driving lessons with my teacher, untill I was ready. I think I drove like 21 times in total or so. Then my teacher talked with me about to do the practical exam. It all pretty much took me just 20 minutes. Then I was told to park to the side. And basically yeah, I was told that I passed and I directly received my driving license. Best feeling ever, trust me haha.

Take your time. So you won't be in danger of being overexposed to the driving rules etc. In such a short time frame, I'm sure you won't be that focused, when you're driving. Everything will be all over the place. And thats not a good thing. There's no need to do it in 2 weeks. Especially if such a hasty service would cost you more than the normal thing.

Comment

It went that fast in your case, truthless? It was much more of an (also bureaucratic) effort in my case, but then again, I was a pretty bad learner driver, so I don't know .

Passing it all in 2 weeks could be possible, but I definitely wouldn't suggest it. It would be a horror for you since you have to learn so much in such little time. It would only work if you have no commitments at all (job etc.) and even then, it would probably still overexpose you. In the beginning, you don't understand anything at all, but everything starts making sense after some time.

4 months sounds ideal if you're willing to learn to drive and progress fast.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

I don't know how I feel about the intensive driving courses, they seem too rushed to me!

I learned over a period of 5 months then took my test, failed first time on a major due to not putting my handbrake on when I reached a STOP sign written on the road with a big white line above it. Apparently you're meant to fully stop, apply the handbrake, check and then go but my damn instructor had never taught me that so I just braked and didn't apply to handbrake and because the examiner was new and being observed by the head examiner (who was sat in the back) he had to fail me as it counted as a major! So it was bad luck I guess, as I only incurred three minors.

Anyway, I re-booked immediately and 6 weeks later passed on my second time with five minors. I had to take it in my own car as the examiner's broke down that morning and I stalled twice on a hill start but luckily was fine on the third go so I escaped another major!

My friend passed 7th time and she's a terrible driver. Some people just aren't meant to be behind the wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller
                          I don't know how I feel about the intensive driving courses, they seem too rushed to me!

I learned over a period of 5 months then took my test, failed first time on a major due to not putting my handbrake on when I reached a STOP sign written on the road with a big white line above it. Apparently you're meant to fully stop, apply the handbrake, check and then go but my damn instructor had never taught me that so I just braked and didn't apply to handbrake and because the examiner was new and being observed by the head examiner (who was sat in the back) he had to fail me as it counted as a major! So it was bad luck I guess, as I only incurred three minors.

Anyway, I re-booked immediately and 6 weeks later passed on my second time with five minors. I had to take it in my own car as the examiner's broke down that morning and I stalled twice on a hill start but luckily was fine on the third go so I escaped another major!

My friend passed 7th time and she's a terrible driver. Some people just aren't meant to be behind the wheel.
                          7th time?! I didn't knew that a person could have so many chances.

Glad you passed, so you can take me for a drive when I visit there.

Comment

I learnt to drive in a paddock in the bush in a ute

Anyways, I grew up in the country and people would laugh at you if you were 18 years old and didn't have a licence and your own car. You got heckled even more if you only knew how to drive automatic. Little did I know when I moved to the city, it was pretty common for people to either a) not know how to drive; b) not have a car or; c) only know how to drive automatic.

I learnt over 12 months, it was compulsory to log 100 hours or something, it was worthwhile.
                            Come Play: GUESS THE VIDEO!

Comment

Originally posted by JimJim
                              I learnt to drive in a paddock in the bush in a ute

Anyways, I grew up in the country and people would laugh at you if you were 18 years old and didn't have a licence and your own car. You got heckled even more if you only knew how to drive automatic. Little did I know when I moved to the city, it was pretty common for people to either a) not know how to drive; b) not have a car or; c) only know how to drive automatic.

I learnt over 12 months, it was compulsory to log 100 hours or something, it was worthwhile.
                              I'm not sure about A and B. C is common.
                              Originally posted by Thriller
                              Not a real song, post it in one of your hit This N That threads

Comment

I started lessons a few years ago when I was 17 and although I didn't get on very well with my instructor and was pretty anxious most of the time I think I made decent progress over the few months. I was insured on my mum's car and I'd go out driving with her now and again for extra practice. One of these occasions ended in a bit of a disaster and I crashed her car quite badly.

I was paying for my lessons and, on top of the money I had to cough up to fix the car, I couldn't afford to continue lessons and I haven't been behind the wheel since.

I mainly walk everywhere at the moment but I know I'll need to sort out getting my license before I finish Uni since the job at the end of my degree can require a lot of driving. I've thought about the intense courses for when the time comes!

Comment

Can't understand people who have all the resources available to them and just get too lazy to get a license. I was tooooooooo excited to finally drive after 16 long years. I passed the theoretical exam and got my Learner license 3 days after I turned 16.

My dad taught me how to drive. For my first ever lesson, we went to a newly subdivided area near our house where they had only built the streets and no houses and I drove around there for like 30mins before he got bored and told me to drive home. I was like whaaaat, I can't drive on proper roads yet and he was like you'll be fine and he was right.

When I had my L's, you had to do 150hrs of driving and wait a year before you could take the test. I got lazy with logging my hours so I ended up taking a bit longer than a year. I only spent an hour with an instructor and that was before my exam to get all the little technical things down. The rest of my hours were all with my parents. Like 70hrs were made up from a 30minute round trip I used to do to work. Ain't nobody got like $50 or whatever it was per lesson.

Anyways, I passed my practical driving test on first go and got my Provisional license. I should have my full license by the end of the year.

I only know how to drive an automatic tho, I've mucked around with a manual for a bit but I really wanna learn properly.

I can't believe you can get a license in 2 weeks!! 150hrs was also a bit extreme which is why they've cut it back down now but there's no way you can be a safe driver after a 2 week crash course.
                                  Listen to my 2016 Eurovision Song Contest entry: MIRACLE

Comment

Originally posted by samra
                                    Can't understand people who have all the resources available to them and just get too lazy to get a license. I was tooooooooo excited to finally drive after 16 long years. I passed the theoretical exam and got my Learner license 3 days after I turned 16.
                                    Driving is just the most boring thing ever. :x And it's not our fault that Aussie has shit public transport, oops.

I got my license 2 years ago or so, had around 40h or practice (that's enough and I didn't know how to start a car back then lol). Anyway, 2 years later, having moved to big city with amazing public transport, and well, not having a car, I think I forgot absoultely everything. Passed both theory and practical part from first try and managed to forget everything. Ugh.
                                    be kind to every kind (also the unkind kind!!!!! )

Comment

Wait, driving is not boring :-? It's relaxing, and I love it! I passed my exam right when I turned 18 and have been a driver for 10 years now. It took me that much time to buy myself a car tho'

Comment

Imo you should do the longer course. You don't learn everything you need to by just doing the lessons. You'll need the experience of driving on your own and you'll need to practice what you're learning in the lessons.

The thing with lessons too is that no one actually drives like that. That's something my instructor use to always tell me. He use to say that learning to drive was the easy part but learning to pass your test is a different story completely.

Comment

@samra: Is it allowed to drive around just with your parent if you're a learner driver in Australia? In Germany, it's not, you're only allowed to drive with the instructor by your side, which has the disadvantage that you can't exercise apart from those lessons that cost (a lot of) money. There are certain places you can go with your parent (known as Verkehrsübungsplätze and I've also been to one, but I'm not sure how realistic it is when being considered a preparation for the "real" traffic.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

People up the wall lol
                                            You can never have enough luxury lemon drizzle cake

Comment

Originally posted by Serby
                                              Driving is just the most boring thing ever. :x And it's not our fault that Aussie has shit public transport, oops.

I got my license 2 years ago or so, had around 40h or practice (that's enough and I didn't know how to start a car back then lol). Anyway, 2 years later, having moved to big city with amazing public transport, and well, not having a car, I think I forgot absoultely everything. Passed both theory and practical part from first try and managed to forget everything. Ugh.
                                              Gurl bye! Driving is everything!!! The freedom, the convenience, the fun! Getting to go for Maccas runs, blasting music #truthlessstyle, etc.

I do wish our public transport wasn't such a mess tho!

@samra: Is it allowed to drive around just with your parent if you're a learner driver in Australia? In Germany, it's not, you're only allowed to drive with the constructor by your side, which has the disadvantage that you can't exercise apart from those lessons that cost (a lot of) money. There are certain places you can go with your parent (known as Verkehrsübungsplätze and I've also been to one, but I'm not sure how realistic it is when being considered a preparation for the "real" traffic.
                                              Yep, as long as you're under the supervision of a fully licensed driver, it's all good. You don't need any official lessons to get a driver's license. However, for the first 10 hours of driving you do with an instructor, each hour counts as 3 hours so that's a benefit but still not really worth the cost. IDK about other states but that's how NSW works.

That rule in Germany is dumb. After a certain number of lessons, you should be allowed to drive under the supervision of fully licensed drivers so you can practice. And that Verwidbwvaassdfggkrlpdcb thingy does not look like it prepares you for the real world at all.

Actually NSW is kinda dumb too. After you turn 25, you don't need to complete a minimum number of hours. I think you just need to be able to pass the driving test. They should have to do like 50hrs at least.

Comment

Gas prices, getting stuck in traffic jam, someone almost killing you while casually driving. etc. Yeah, driving is quite meh.
                                                be kind to every kind (also the unkind kind!!!!! )

Comment

Originally posted by Serby
                                                  Gas prices, getting stuck in traffic jam, someone almost killing you while casually driving. etc. Yeah, driving is quite meh.
                                                  Ever increasing cigarette prices, getting stuck in designated smoking areas while the rest of society watches you, killing yourself slowly with every inhale. Yeh smoking is quite meh.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X