Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller View Post
      I’m going to watch England v Scotland on Friday in a beer garden but I totally forgot about today’s match which they apparently won
      Question on this: Why are two parts of the same country competing against each other in a supranational battle? I mean, if Belgium is part of the European cup, it's not Flanders vs Wallonia either, is it?
      Pro: freedom of speech
      Contra: cancel culture

Comment

Originally posted by theMathematician View Post

Question on this: Why are two parts of the same country competing against each other in a supranational battle? I mean, if Belgium is part of the European cup, it's not Flanders vs Wallonia either, is it?
        I also find it confusing, but I think it has several reasons, but UK people can correct me. Firstly, International football has its roots in the UK, the first match being between two of the ‘UK teams’. Secondly, before they became a part of the UK, they (also Northern Ireland) were seperate ‘countries’. In a way the UK consists of four constitutional countries. Flanders and Wallonia never existed as separate entities before Belgium, even though some regionalists want to split it up now. They existed as regions before Belgium obviously (so did the language border in a way), but they were always under the reign of another ‘superpower’ (Spain, Low lands, Austria,…), the autonomy had to be sought in cities rather than in regions during most of the pre-Belgium time. In practice nowadays there is probably not that much difference (eg cultural autonomy I suppose is also something that exists to a certain extent in the four ‘regions’ of the UK like in the three regions of Belgium), but their history is very different. Countries who knew similar trends than the UK probably don’t have separate teams, as they don’t have the same history with football or certain other competitive sports probably (eg rugby?). Stil confusing though .
        Last edited by Michiel; Sun June 13, 2021, 21:56.
        Eudaimonia
        Last.fm
        Instagram

Comment

Yeah, it’s always been the case because football started in Britain played between the nations.

Comment

I didn't get to watch the match today as I was working, but I hope to see my husband Kieran Trippier at some point over the coming weeks. Take me back to 2018 and the lucky masseur who was wobbling his bumcheeks about on the pitch. Those were great times.
            1 Coldplay |2 Galantis|3 Sigrid |4 pnau |5 Agnes

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan View Post
              Here in England I feel like most people are quite pumped for the Euros.
              It was bliss delivering this afternoon, the streets and roads were empty.

Comment

Comment

Netherlands - Ukraine was surprisingly good, whereas England - Croatia was a bit of a disappointment.

Originally posted by theMathematician View Post

The Faroe Islands also compete on their own and not as part of the Danish team. They probably could join the Danish Football Association if they wanted to, but why would they. Same country, different nation and very proud of their autonomy.

Comment

England-Croatia wasn’t a great spectacle to watch. Happy for the result though, surprised to see Netherlands barely scraping a win from Ukraine.

Comment

Comment

Poland as usual embarrassment.
                        Xtina / Nathy Peluso / Rosalía / Nina Simone / Lauren Hill

Comment

Poor Scotland, they might leave their first tournament in 23 years early.

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                            Poor Scotland, they might leave their first tournament in 23 years early.
                            Plus they have two arguably trickier games ahead so bye bye Scotland.

Comment

Cristiano = legend

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by likeidogoldlink View Post
                                  Poland as usual embarrassment.
                                  yeah, we should be banned from Euro and Eurovision, just for sake of it
                                  KUBA'S CHART

Comment

Comment

Go Wales! They could go further than England again.

Comment

Aren't the Welsy gorgeous, I might have to switch teams.

Comment

Absolutely spectacular pass by Locatelli to Berardi, run and goal by Locatelli

Comment

Comment

Pleased for Wales and Gareth Bale’s beautiful face.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                    X