Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympics - Tokyo 2020

23rd July 2021 to 8th August 2021
    Havent found a thread for this, but if there is we'll just merge it there.

Tokyo 2020: Up to 10,000 Japanese fans will be permitted at Olympic venues

Up to 10,000 Japanese fans will be permitted at Tokyo 2020 Olympic venues, despite warnings from health bosses.

Overseas spectators are already banned but organisers said domestic fans could attend providing crowds did not exceed 50% of a venue's capacity.

Fans will not be allowed to shout or speak loudly, and must wear face masks at all times while in venues.

The Olympics are scheduled to begin on 23 July, while the Paralympics follow a month later, from 24 August.

Spectator numbers for the Paralympics will be confirmed by 16 July, said a joint statement from the International Olympic Committee (IOC), the International Paralympic Committee (IPC), the Tokyo 2020 organising committee, the Tokyo metropolitan government and the government of Japan.

The decision to allow spectators comes despite the release of a report last week by Japanese medical experts that said holding the Games without spectators was the "least risky" and most desirable option.

"There are so many cases, domestically and internationally [of] sports events with spectators," said Tokyo 2020 organising committee president Seiko Hashimoto.

"By exercising thorough measures and based on the government criteria, we believe we can hold the Games with spectators.

"The entire world is facing the same issues and we have to work together to overcome them."

Delegates and sponsors will be classed as organisers, and therefore will not be included in the 10,000 spectator limit.

Should there be a rapid increase in Covid-19 infections and impact on Japan's healthcare systems, the five parties will consider further restrictions.

This could include further reducing spectator numbers at venues.

Full: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/57550621
    See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
    See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

I think this will be a very low key Olympics. I am nowhere near as interested as usual but I am sure I will watch it once it starts. The athletics and the diving (mens) for sure.
    Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
    Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

Originally posted by InFamous View Post
      The athletics and the diving (mens) for sure.
      Yep I'm here for the usual lycra parade too!
      1 Inna |2 Camila Cabello|3 Wizkid |4 Coldplay |5 Kevin McKay

Comment

Sucks that COVID hit and Japan is lagging far behind in vaccinations because I would love to see the athletes interacting in Japan, soaking in the culture.

Comment

Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post

Yep I'm here for the usual lycra parade too!
          The shorts get smaller every year and I am so here for it. They should just go nude at this stage

Comment

The track queen is safely through to Tokyo, a landmark fifth Olympic Games for her!

Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Good 4 U [15 weeks] + Adele's return

Remember that you are water. Cry. Cleanse. Flow.
            Remember that you are fire. Burn. Tame. Ignite.
            Remember that you are air. Be still. Focus. Decide.
            Remember that you are earth. Ground. Build. Give.

Comment

Go Allyson, love watching her run !

Comment

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                The track queen is safely through to Tokyo, a landmark fifth Olympic Games for her!

I love her! I hope she wins something, but not against any of my Caribbean girls.

I wonder if other stalworths like Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, Elaine Thompson, etc. also running this year?

Comment

Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                  I love her! I hope she wins something, but not against any of my Caribbean girls.

I wonder if other stalworths like Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, Elaine Thompson, etc. also running this year?
                  Barring something extraordinary, the US will definitely win the women's 4x4, but I think Jamaica might take the women's 4x1. Felix qualified for the individual 400, but since Miller-Uibo isn't contesting the event and Naser is a question mark, the fastest woman going into the Tokyo final will likely be the teenage Namibian, Mboma. So no Caribbean athlete will win that event unless Miller-Uibo makes a last-minute change in her plans.

Fraser-Pryce has already run an historic 10.63s for the women's 100m this year. That makes her the fastest woman alive and the second-fastest woman ever in the event. Considering that the world record holder competed during a dubious PED era, most athletics fans are looking at Fraser-Pryce's mark as the legitimate world record performance, so she is likely on her way to an unprecedented third Olympic 100m title.

Thompson, now Thompson-Herah, will probably be there, too. She's had an Achilles injury that's foiled her big championship day performances in recent years, but she seems to be in decent stead this season and will be a contender if healthy.

So, yes, the stalwarts will be there, but the new generation will be in the ascendant. I'm rooting for the established queens, but the young pretenders will be on their heels!

Comment

I know Miller-Uibo expressed wanting to double at the Olympics but moved on from it due to the schedule.

So I think shes firmly in the 200m this year sadly.

I think the world wants to see a rematch between her and Felix.

Comment

This is making waves:

Comment

The Olympics will take place behind closed doors as a state of emergency is declared in.

Olympic venues in Tokyo will not be able to admit spectators for this summer's Games after the coronavirus pandemic forced the declaration of a new state of emergency in the Japanese capital, Tokyo 2020 organising committee president Seiko Hashimoto has said.

Organisers had hoped that Japanese residents would be able to attend the Games, and last month announced that venues could be 50% full, up to a maximum of 10,000 people.

However, a rise in coronavirus infections has forced the Japanese government to reimpose more stringent measures from Monday until 22 August, and organisers have confirmed that Games venues in the Tokyo prefecture would now not be allowed to admit spectators.

Comment

This is making waves:
                          Yeah I don't get why it's an issue? It's definitely not performance-enhancing

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post

Yeah I don't get why it's an issue? It's definitely not performance-enhancing
                            Marijauna has always been on the banned list

Comment

The whole Olympics is set to be a massive fiasco.
                              Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

I'M saddened by the news... The Olympic Games bring so much tourism and $$$ to the hosting cities... and prestige and everything... I tend to believe now, that the OG should have been cancelled... and then held in Japan whenever it was possible again.
                                My Chart

Comment

Yeah. I'm not even that excited about them tbh. I'll still watch but there won't be much atmosphere without spectators.

Comment

Yeah. I'm not even that excited about them tbh. I'll still watch but there won't be much atmosphere without spectators.
                                    I've watched a few other sporting events without fans and it's been okay tbh. You begin watching knowing no one else is there physically, but you still get into it.

Comment

I forget that weed is illegal in most places, but it does feel so minor to me.

Usually, I am geared up for the summer Olympics - especially love the track and field/swimming events where contests are determined by mere seconds. But without an audience, I feel like I'm watching some sort of local meet.

Comment

But weed is still on the banned lists for athletes even if it is not illegal in the country . I mean people smoke weed here on the streets and in parks all the time lol.
                                        But the banned list for athletes is very exhaustive. Like they cant even take certain cough medicines.

Comment

I've watched a few other sporting events without fans and it's been okay tbh. You begin watching knowing no one else is there physically, but you still get into it.
                                          Ive just found the athletics a bit dull this year tbh. The Diamond league set up is so regimented now, the same events, the same running order, the same athletes, in every single competition. Actually the Olympics will prob be better in terms of that - at least there will be some variety.

Comment

I know Miller-Uibo expressed wanting to double at the Olympics but moved on from it due to the schedule.

So I think shes firmly in the 200m this year sadly.

I think the world wants to see a rematch between her and Felix.
                                            I've had some concerns about Miller-Uibo's form ever since she competed at the Adidas Boston Games and commented that she'd been dealing with niggles in training, then promptly disappeared for a good month. Her last two 200m performances suggest that she's not in the shape for a 200m medal so I hope she and her team decide to go for the 400m, which would give us that Felix rematch. However, I suspect that neither of them is in the shape to win that event either so it might be rather anticlimactic. Also, if Miller-Uibo really did have all her eggs in that 200m basket and she's not 400m race sharp, they could both finish outside of the medals.

Ive just found the athletics a bit dull this year tbh. The Diamond league set up is so regimented now, the same events, the same running order, the same athletes, in every single competition. Actually the Olympics will prob be better in terms of that - at least there will be some variety.
                                            While I, too, will miss the crowd, it's been a banner year for athletics in terms of performance. The men's and women's 400m hurdle world records were both rewritten within the space of a week and if we have good conditions in Tokyo, they'll likely fall again. The women's 200 is on a level we haven't seen since the 90s. The women's 100 is on a level we've never before seen, even with Richardson being absent. With Holloway's form, the men's 110m hurdles world record is on borrowed time. There's huge talent spread all over the world so it won't just be the US and one or two other big nations with gold medal contenders. It'll be an even more diverse crop at the top than Rio, so I'm excited. I think the pandemic year 'off' has benefitted more people than it's hurt, form-wise anyway.

Comment

I've had some concerns about Miller-Uibo's form ever since she competed at the Adidas Boston Games and commented that she'd been dealing with niggles in training, then promptly disappeared for a good month. Her last two 200m performances suggest that she's not in the shape for a 200m medal so I hope she and her team decide to go for the 400m, which would give us that Felix rematch. However, I suspect that neither of them is in the shape to win that event either so it might be rather anticlimactic. Also, if Miller-Uibo really did have all her eggs in that 200m basket and she's not 400m race sharp, they could both finish outside of the medals.

While I, too, will miss the crowd, it's been a banner year for athletics in terms of performance. The men's and women's 400m hurdle world records were both rewritten within the space of a week and if we have good conditions in Tokyo, they'll likely fall again. The women's 200 is on a level we haven't seen since the 90s. The women's 100 is on a level we've never before seen, even with Richardson being absent. With Holloway's form, the men's 110m hurdles world record is on borrowed time. There's huge talent spread all over the world so it won't just be the US and one or two other big nations with gold medal contenders. It'll be an even more diverse crop at the top than Rio, so I'm excited. I think the pandemic year 'off' has benefitted more people than it's hurt, form-wise anyway.
                                              I dont really care about any of those events tbh. I like 800 meters up, although I will catch the finals of the shorter stuff !

Comment

It definitely would be anticlimatic, especially since the media will be gunning for a repeat between the two. I do hope they are both in a form to avoid any further injury as it would be amazing to see them go head to head again.

Let's see what happens

Comment

We are officially 1 week from the Opening ceremonies!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X