Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• there can be only icon, the true inventor of the mumble rap (he didn't even need English)
    [youtube:1aaalf8e]cVikZ8Oe_XA[/youtube:1aaalf8e]
    Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• Re: The Random Thought Thread

Beyoncé wasn’t a thing til about 2001.

Comment

• If we count MJ as 60s even though his solo career began around 1972 and his solo career didn't eclipse his group until around 1979-1980 (Off The Wall), then by all means its fair to count Beyonce as 90s.

I mean, who really thinks of Aretha, Dylan or Dolly (especially in her case as she didn't really break beyond the country market until the 70s) as 50s acts? But it's when they made their first recordings. You actually could count The Beatles for 50s too since their earliest recordings were 58-59

Besides that, Leo's list is pretty definitive... though I suppose I'd replace solo Sting with The Police as Every Breath You Take, Roxanne, Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic and Don't Stand So Close To Me are all probably more iconic than his solo music.

I'd throw in a Stevie Wonder track too because like Paul McCartney (who is represented with The Beatles), Mick Jagger or Bob Dylan, he is the embodiment of a living legend and its arguable without him, we wouldn't have people like Michael, Prince and George Michael who all were largely influenced by him and cited him as a role model.
        My top 100 artists (2018 edition)

Comment

Shape Of My Heart is probably the most iconic Sting song.

Comment

When I think of Beyoncé, I think 2003 (I’m doing her a favour by forgetting Work It Out)

Comment

• Originally posted by NothingFails
              I mean, who really thinks of Aretha, Dylan or Dolly (especially in her case as she didn't really break beyond the country market until the 70s) as 50s acts? But it's when they made their first recordings.
              Exactly its just a reference about what year or decade the artist started, but the list isn't really about the year, its not an important metric in my list (people are giving too much important to the year and not the songs). Its just a big playlist of 50 Icons - 50 Songs.

Originally posted by NothingFails
              Besides that, Leo's list is pretty definitive... though I suppose I'd replace solo Sting with The Police as Every Breath You Take, Roxanne, Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic and Don't Stand So Close To Me are all probably more iconic than his solo music.
              I struggled when deciding if including Sting or The Police, I ultimately decided for Sting because he embodies both acts (The band and his solo work).

I'd throw in a Stevie Wonder track too because like Paul McCartney (who is represented with The Beatles), Mick Jagger or Bob Dylan, he is the embodiment of a living legend and its arguable without him, we wouldn't have people like Michael, Prince and George Michael who all were largely influenced by him and cited him as a role model.
              I've just edited my list tho. I realized that I forgot David Bowie (definately an Icon), I added him and removed Green Day (which were pretty much the weakest link in my list in terms of iconicness).

I wanted to pick "Heroes" as Bowie's emblematic song but I put "Space Oddity" instead because thats seems to be his trademark song on every list and reference.
              Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
              Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix

50 ICONS - 50 TIMELESS SONGS

pro English-language bias. ''Despacito'', ''Macarena'' and ''Gangnam Style'' are more timeless

Comment

But the acts behind them aren’t

Comment

• Originally posted by heppolo
                    Originally posted by MrLeonix

50 ICONS - 50 TIMELESS SONGS

pro English-language bias. ''Despacito'', ''Macarena'' and ''Gangnam Style'' are more timeless

My list was about 50 Icons - 50 songs . . . . . . Not about one hit wonders

Originally posted by biscuits
                    Exactly
                    Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• WE NEED RAVEN SYMONE ON UKMIX

[youtube:1yplvbui]Z5wUaRwcftw[/youtube:1yplvbui]

Comment

So I'm just turning 30 today & I'm already feeling so old

Comment

Happy birthday

Comment

• Originally posted by DOSSOME
                            Happy Birthday

Comment

Happy birthday! I’ll be joining you in less than 2 years.

Comment

Happy birthday love

Comment

• Originally posted by MusicLover88

Happy birthday love
                                  Thanks boo
                                  Originally posted by Wayne
                                  Thank u Wayne, we'll gladly welcome u when the time comes
                                  Originally posted by Nippian93

Happy Birthday
                                  thanks <3333

Originally posted by biscuits
                                  Happy birthday
                                  Thanks hun

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne
                                    Originally posted by DOSSOME
                                    I am joining you in a bit more than 2 years
                                    Happy birthday!

Comment

• Originally posted by biscuits
                                      Aren't Los Del Rio males iconic?

Comment

I mean, who really thinks of Aretha, Dylan or Dolly (especially in her case as she didn't really break beyond the country market until the 70s) as 50s acts? But it's when they made their first recordings.
                                        Exactly its just a reference about what year or decade the artist started, but the list isn't really about the year, its not an important metric in my list (people are giving too much important to the year and not the songs). Its just a big playlist of 50 Icons - 50 Songs.

I struggled when deciding if including Sting or The Police, I ultimately decided for Sting because he embodies both acts (The band and his solo work).

I've just edited my list tho. I realized that I forgot David Bowie (definately an Icon), I added him and removed Green Day (which were pretty much the weakest link in my list in terms of iconicness).

I wanted to pick "Heroes" as Bowie's emblematic song but I put "Space Oddity" instead because thats seems to be his trademark song on every list and reference.
                                        Heroes is the fan favorite (mid to late 70s Bowie is my favorite era and Heroes was in the middle of his greatest run of albums to me) but Space Oddity is the one the general public seems to love best, along with Life On Mars as well as Let's Dance which was rather unrepresentative of his catalog but was a huge hit.

Comment

Happy B-day ,sweetie !
                                          And don't feel old. I'm turning 40 in 10 months

Comment

I used to freak out about age then I realized it only bothers you if you dwell on it. I don't feel any real difference vs. 15 years ago. Your age is in your mind, I know 25 year olds who "seem" older than friends in my age range. It all is about your outlook on your outlook. People who continue to live hold onto their youth longer I notice.

Comment

• Originally posted by MusicLover88
                                              Happy birthday love
                                              Greatest Of All Time

Comment

• Originally posted by BodyShop
                                                Happy B-day ,sweetie !
                                                And don't feel old. I'm turning 40 in 10 months
                                                SIS!
                                                Greatest Of All Time

Comment

• I think it depends on how you feel and of course on how you look. I'm 28 but I've never looked my age (always look younger than I am), I look 20 and people are attracted to me, I feel good about myself both inside and out and I just feel young and cool. On the other hand there are other people who are younger than me (21-24, etc) who actually look older than me and deteriorated, all of the people that graduated with me at school look fat and like 38 now. I look 20 and fit instead.

When you feel good the age doesn't matter, how you feel inside reflects on the way you look outside, of course taking care of yourself is important, I don't smoke, I only drink at social events, I don't do drugs, I brush my teeth about 8 times a day and I never allow myself to party more than once a week and my life is stress-free.

Comment

all of the people that graduated with me at school look fat and like 38 now. I look 20 and fit instead.
                                                    That's because you stan for the best.
                                                    "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Comment

Working...
                                                    X