This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NothingFails
    so... if you guys were allowed to save only one person between J. Lo or Nicki, what would you fix for dinner?
    I'm fasting...

Comment

• Anyway, just want to share this.

[youtube:158zpjyd]BiLtJoQ2DPo[/youtube:158zpjyd]

When I first got into K-Pop I was really shocked to find out that most of the Korean celebrities that I admired were much older than they looked, only to find out later that Korean age system is different from the rest of the world. Basically in Korea, you're already 1 year old when you're born. On top of that, instead of becoming older in your birthday, you add another year in your age at the start of each year in Korea. So basically, if you're born on December 30, you're already 2 years old by January 1. That's... interesting.

Comment

• It's like that in alot of 3rd world countries. My parents are from Ethiopia and only have a ballpark of their ages. They used to use new years as a way for them to add a year.

I guess birthdays are just culturally insignificant in some places in the world.
        F*ck off and lose my number.

Comment

• Originally posted by abi
          Anyway, just want to share this.

[youtube:i1fyj4ly]BiLtJoQ2DPo[/youtube:i1fyj4ly]

When I first got into K-Pop I was really shocked to find out that most of the Korean celebrities that I admired were much older than they looked, only to find out later that Korean age system is different from the rest of the world. Basically in Korea, you're already 1 year old when you're born. On top of that, instead of becoming older in your birthday, you add another year in your age at the start of each year in Korea. So basically, if you're born on December 30, you're already 2 years old by January 1. That's... interesting.
          4real?

Comment

• The age thing fascinates me - it's nigh on impossible not to know your birth date in the UK as all births have to be legally registered, as do deaths.

Comment

• Originally posted by EAI
              It's like that in alot of 3rd world countries. My parents are from Ethiopia and only have a ballpark of their ages. They used to use new years as a way for them to add a year.

I guess birthdays are just culturally insignificant in some places in the world.
              Really? I didn't know that.

But the thing is in Korea, you still celebrate your birthday with party & gifts and stuff, just for fun - but still your age increase during the new year, not on your birthday. That's really weird and cool.

Plus apparently in Korea, it's important to know the age of the person you're talking to, because you'll adress them differently based on their age, even if it's just a one year difference. Like for example, if you're 1 year older than me, it means you are my older brother instead of my friend - and I shall treat you differently than how I treat my friends from the same age. So it's normal for you to ask people's age when you first meet them. I think biscuit might explain it better, I believe he lived in Korea for a while.

It just feels fascinating to me to see a country as modern as South Korea still holds their traditional way of a few things. I believe they also have their own calendar or something (?).

Comment

• Re: The Random Thought Thread

That was really interesting, abi. I like how some of the respondents seem conflicted about the tradition. I wonder what is behind assigning a year at birth?

Comment

From what I think I understand, a Korean baby is born as 1 years old (instead of 0). And on the first new year for the baby, it goes up to 2 years old. From then on, they just have normal birthdays on the day they were born.

By this logic, I celebrated my 30th birthday in Seoul even though Iím still 29! (And that was 2 years ago)

Comment

• Originally posted by biscuits
                    From what I think I understand, a Korean baby is born as 1 years old (instead of 0). And on the first new year for the baby, it goes up to 2 years old. From then on, they just have normal birthdays on the day they were born.

By this logic, I celebrated my 30th birthday in Seoul even though Iím still 29! (And that was 2 years ago)
                    Happy 30th!

Comment

• ^

Originally posted by cheapthrills
                      That was really interesting, abi. I like how some of the respondents seem conflicted about the tradition. I wonder what is behind assigning a year at birth?
                      I'm not sure actually, must be something from the tradition they had hundreds years ago in China.

Comment

• When I hear a Dua Lipa song on the radio, I canít help but think of the good sis aRat.
                        Greatest Of All Time

Comment

Bitches ainít sh*t and they ainít sayin nothin
                          A hunnid muthaf*ckas canít tell me nothin
                          I beez in da trap be-beez in da trap

A timeless bop before the trap wave

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRealest

One of the best Nicki songs

I don't noe man I'm shitting on your whole life
                            be kind to every kind (also the unkind kind!!!!! )

Comment

Yeah, when Garbaj was serving some kayute bops but that song sounded alot like Fergilicious tbh

Comment

Garbaj has had only one half-decent song in her entire career, and itís only because Iím a sucker for island dialects.
                                [youtube:2oan76dm]6giXgG6qQzo[/youtube:2oan76dm]
                                Greatest Of All Time

Comment

• Originally posted by DOSSOME
                                  Yeah, when Garbaj was serving some kayute bops but that song sounded alot like Fergilicious tbh
                                  What milisecond of it reminded you of Fergalicious?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRealest

yup
                                    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                                    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

Love that song.
                                      "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Comment

I wonder when will good hugo sis stop pretending there's not a single Rihanna song he likes. With your musical taste, it's impossible.

Comment

Lemme Get That by Rihanna is such an underrated bop!!!!

Queen of having a house but needing a new furniture wondering why should she spends hers when she could spend his.

Comment

UK people, someone please enlight me what is the point of Pierse Morgan? Watched few interviews only and most of the time he's the most annoying person ever and I just wanna enter the screen and slap the shit out of him. why is he even on TV all the time? Eww.

Comment

• Originally posted by Serby
                                              Lemme Get That by Rihanna is such an underrated bop!!!!

Queen of having a house but needing a new furniture wondering why should she spends hers when she could spend his.
                                              !!!!

Comment

When did Beyonce have her last #1 song?
                                                Mustíve been like ten years by now?! Not counting perfect duet ofc

That being sad canít wait for Tuesday when I will see her in Cologne

Comment

• Originally posted by MrDiva
                                                  When did Beyonce have her last #1 song?
                                                  Mustíve been like ten years by now?! Not counting perfect duet ofc

That being sad canít wait for Tuesday when I will see her in Cologne
                                                  "Mi Gente". It went to #1 in Spain. In the US, it's "Single Ladies".

Enjoy the show!

Comment

LeBron to the Lakers...
                                                    Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                                    Diva!!!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X