• Show
Clear All

• Airwrecka
    replied
    Originally posted by theArmy
    Originally posted by MusicRecords
    Originally posted by Biebz
    Originally posted by thankfulforkelly
    I just wrote a really long and well written message explaining the positives of the monarchy and why I like having a royal family, but just deleted it by accident
    It was God's way of saying "get a life"
    OMG!
    LMFAO.

Originally posted by Storyteller
    But isn't it a bit dated to still have a monarchy? I mean, they don't really have any power. They're more for show and tourism than anything, these days. I guess if the people are for them then why not but it would be interesting to have a referendum on whether or not to keep it.
    Not fully true. She still gives royal assent to bills and appoints the Prime Minister etc. Yes, perhaps ceremonial / replaceable, but she does still have a significant role behind the scenes.

I don't like Charles much, but I do like having a monarchy. I just think it's part of our heritage and identity as a country. Sure, we could get by without them, but I don't see a particularly strong reason to do so. Yes, the Queen is unelected and in a position of power, but so are the House of Lords. There's so much globalisation in this world, having a monarchy is kind of a cool antiquity IMO.

Leave a comment:

• MusicRecords
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne
    No need to be so defensive, it's only my opinion.
    I'm not being defensive - you're making a comment on a forum and I'm responding, it's how it's meant to work.
    it's quiet over the top how ur defending them tho it's like stanning for a pop girl
    Yeah Wayne, this is some rich family living on taxpayers money we're talking about, not Celine

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    I'm not being defensive - you're making a comment on a forum and I'm responding, it's how it's meant to work.
    Ok

But isn't it a bit dated to still have a monarchy? I mean, they don't really have any power. They're more for show and tourism than anything, these days. I guess if the people are for them then why not but it would be interesting to have a referendum on whether or not to keep it.
    Most people in the Netherlands are for keeping the monarchy. No need for a referendum that will cost a lot of money.
    And no, it's not dated. Being a monarchy for so long is what gives it its charm.
    Why end something that does so much good for the country?

Leave a comment:

• theArmy
    replied
    it's quiet over the top how ur defending them tho it's like stanning for a pop girl

Leave a comment:

• Storyteller
    replied
    Ok

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Storyteller
    replied
    Basically!
    It's a waste of taxpayers money.
    Not that I have anything against Liz, she seems cool.
    There is no single, objective piece of research that states the UK economy or taxpayer would be better off without a monarchy.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Originally posted by ArmyOfMe
    Monarchy itself should not even exist in the 21st century.
    Basically!
    We have a king and queen. I don't think a president is "cheaper".
    Yes, a monarchy cost us money, but they bring in a lot of money too.
    They are way better PR than a president.

Leave a comment:

• theArmy
    replied
    Originally posted by MusicRecords
    I just wrote a really long and well written message explaining the positives of the monarchy and why I like having a royal family, but just deleted it by accident
    OMG!

Leave a comment:

• MusicRecords
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Biebz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AlphaMale
    replied
    Originally posted by Hugo
    Originally posted by Gravity
    Basically!
    Same.
    We'd probably save a lot of money if we had a monarchy. Our politicians are all corrupt and moneybrabbers. We're currently paying 3 ex-Presidents' pensions and the current one's salary.
    Nem mais

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Basically!
    There is no single, objective piece of research that states the UK economy or taxpayer would be better off without a monarchy.
    read her, babe.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Basically!

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Hugo
    replied
    Originally posted by Gravity
    Basically!
    Same.
    We'd probably save a lot of money if we had a monarchy. Our politicians are all corrupt and moneybrabbers. We're currently paying 3 ex-Presidents' pensions and the current one's salary.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    well it is sooooo deeply rooted in the culture of the UK that it's become synonymous with British patriotism. I think it is okay as long as it doesn't impose anything on anyone... and one could say whatever one wants about the British (Dutch, Danish, Swedish and Norwegian) royals, but they do nothing, but good, especially the younger generation... They are kind, sensitive, empathetic, sincere, genuine, understanding, progressive etc...

Having a Monarch in the 21st century means to have a good friend in the upper ranks who cares for the people and who puts the government in place from time to time to remind them who's really important in the land: the people.

I believe this is best exemplified in the countries that I've just quoted.

Leave a comment:

• Serby
    replied
    Trust Wayne to be overly defensive.

First time I heard of him was when he had a kilt with no underwear or sth likke that. Queen is different.

Leave a comment:

• Gravity
    replied
    Basically!
    Same.

Leave a comment:

• Storyteller
    replied
    Basically!

Leave a comment:

• ArmyOfMe
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MusicRecords
    replied
    ^nah I don't know much about him yet really respect and like MJ and the Beatles. It's more that I never cared about the silly monarchy therefore I could care less about the man the Queen married and therefore was lucky to become "important"
    Anyway it makes total sense the old man is reitiring, it's amazing how he can still do things fine at his age. If that were me I would've retired long ago and had the Brits feed me scones

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    In terms of Prince Phillip's relevance outside of the UK, I'd remind you that this is a UK forum...
    We're not wanted here guys
    Well, Prince Philip is highly iconic and legendary in many parts of the world. He is VERY popular in Germany too. People who claim they don't know who he is and what he did and still does (for a living)... are the same people who claim they have never heard a MJ song and think the Beatles were only a band from the 1960's.

His ties to the royalty in Denmark, Greece and Germany make him a highly important and influental (and beloved) public person in many countries.

Some people need to learn about history...

Leave a comment:

• MusicRecords
    replied
    ^

Leave a comment:

• theArmy
    replied
    In terms of Prince Phillip's relevance outside of the UK, I'd remind you that this is a UK forum...
    We're not wanted here guys

Leave a comment:

Working...
X