X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NothingFails
    replied
    Originally posted by TIfan
    Can some explain how Whoopi Goldberg lost the Oscar for the Color Purple?
    I think it had to do with the fact that in 1985, she was solely known as a stand up comedian and the Oscarpeople were known to be uppity snobs. Very rarely will they give an award to an "outsider" first time actress, especially one who was associated mainly for her comedy until the movie.

Her win for Ghost is widely agreed to be a belated apology prize for not winning for The Color Purple because they pretty much came to terms that she had one of the best performances of the entire decade but lost because at the time they didn't view her as "Hollywood establishment" enough. Plus like said above, Geraldine Page won one of those "Lifetime apology awards" over Whoopi, just like how Paul Newman or Al Pacino's Oscars weren't so much for the movies in question but for all the times they lost in the past.

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied
    Tom Hanks was everything in Cast Away. He should have won Oscar.

Leave a comment:

• Serby
    replied
    Please be nice to jacket keepers in clubs.

I am one now and I thought it was easy peasy job before taking this job Hell naw!!!!! I am stressed like the second b in bomb. So stressed that I don't even exist, I am not. to make it worse (or better), the money is reeeeaaally great so I'd never quit.

Leave a comment:

• Serby
    replied
    BB is overrated, was disapointed after watching it.

Leave a comment:

• cheapthrills
    replied
    The history of the Oscars is riddled with situations like that. I'm still annoyed that Brokeback Mountain lost.
    And how the hell did Gwyneth Paltrow win over Cate? I love the Oscars, but we are talking about the opinions of a few thousand elderly people.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    ^^ that's no excuse. Whoopi's was the best performance that year. Nothing compared and still doesn't compare.

Leave a comment:

• cheapthrills
    replied
    There was a lot of uproar over Purple not winning ANY Oscars - some thought it might be racism, some thought it was jealousy or dislike of Spielberg. It holds the records for most noms without winning. :(

The person she lost to though, Geraldine Page, had been nominated a bunch of times previously and probably people felt she was overdue. So while Whoopi should have won, Geraldine's was more of a Lifetime achievement Oscar. And then they would make it up to Whoopi with Ghost

I just looked. That was Geraldine's 8th nomination before they finally gave her one. She died the following year.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    there is literally no excuse for this. Whoopi's performance in the movie (as well as the supporting cast - especially Oprah and the movie itself, as well as the music) is one of the 3 best of ALL TIMES.

Maybe there is one Meryl and one Katherine Hepburn performance better than Whoopi's, but that's about it.

I will never get over it. The film is a treasure, it should be shown at school. Her winning for ghost was kind of the Academy saying: "Sorry, that we screwed you over before"

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied
    Whitney's "Welcome Home Heroes" concert has to be one of the greatest concerts ever. Such an outstanding performer.

I've grown to really appreciate Celine performance skills as well. They might not have been top dancers but I think they put on shows just as good as Janet and Madonna.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    I've just seen a recent picture of Susanna Hoffs (The Bangles, 57)

the woman looks no older than 30.

Leave a comment:

• Nippian93
    replied
    Originally posted by stevyy
    well, every artist has haters... .
    +1, With so many people adding posts online, it is obvious that some of them will not be positive.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    well, every artist has haters... but male artists seem to have the most, hence they are basically ignored here.

I'm just listening to Five Years by Bowie and man.. that song sh!ts all over the divas. (literally and metaphorically).

Leave a comment:

• Nippian93
    replied
    Originally posted by stevyy
    Originally posted by Nippian93
    I do not see this discrediting or downplaying on UKMix or any other forum.
    well open your eyes then.
    I need some receipts of downplaying or discrediting those two on UKMix, I am not talking about Mariah.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by Nippian93
    well open your eyes then.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by MrLeonix
    People always seem to call anything that is successful or acclaimed "overrated" / "overhyped".

It seems to be really hard for other people to accept and recognizing when its due.

aren't you and your squad doing the same to Mariah Carey tho?

Leave a comment:

• Nippian93
    replied

Leave a comment:

• EAI
    replied
    Originally posted by MrLeonix
    People always seem to call anything that is successful or acclaimed "overrated" / "overhyped". First its Adele who is constantly downplayed and discredited to the pits on forums. And now it seems like its happening to Beyonce, despite her evident acclaim, and talent, she seems to be gaining devoted haters lately, the typical ... many people on forums saying she's "overrated".

It seems to be really hard for other people to accept and recognizing when its due.
    In my opinion,
    The only thing that would leave me to believe that she's overrated are the overly aggressive Beyhivers who look at her like a God that can do no wrong and drag other artists in return. Other than that, I feel like Beyoncé deserves most of the attention she gets. As for Adel, she's a great vocalist but isn't as good as the Greats that came before her. She's less capable, but that doesn't take away from her as an artist. She still makes great music and she is a great person so I feel like she deserves the success that she has.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    People always seem to call anything that is successful or acclaimed "overrated" / "overhyped". First its Adele who is constantly downplayed and discredited to the pits on forums. And now it seems like its happening to Beyonce, despite her evident acclaim, and talent, she seems to be gaining devoted haters lately, the typical ... many people on forums saying she's "overrated".

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied
    Originally posted by Crackiswack
    Originally posted by NothingFails
    ^ True. But I look at the way they didn't even accept Caitlyn Jenner despite being the most high profile trans celebrity on the planet being on their side politically. D-list actors who were third billed on a tv show 25 years ago on their side? Oh my god we're rolling with the big stars. High profile trans celebrity on their side? Hell no, don't want her.

Those people are vile in general though, but it does shock me that they love a self-professed "gay Jew who loves black cock" as long as his views are as warped as theirs... it's like they're making progress since it wasn't long ago when "the only good f*g is a dead f*g".
    Sure but what happens when Milo stops talking about the political subjects and converses about his life, and usual love for BBC? They wouldn't like it then because they don't accept it. Milo serves their purpose as being an exception for him, but once Milo is done talking trash, they would dislike him as much as the rest.
    I decided to look on his Instagram just for the hell of it, and I did see the type of post that annoys me... "Even though you're a homosexual (ever notice the uber-right's obsession with using that term instead of Gay?), you're a true American even though you weren't born here". Because god forbid, you're not a real American if you're gay?

Oh well, still hasn't convinced Michelle Bachmann though lol.

Leave a comment:

• Crackiswack
    replied
    On another note,
    What's this mess about black people cant be racist????? Definitely wrong and misinformed

Leave a comment:

• Crackiswack
    replied
    ^ True. But I look at the way they didn't even accept Caitlyn Jenner despite being the most high profile trans celebrity on the planet being on their side politically. D-list actors who were third billed on a tv show 25 years ago on their side? Oh my god we're rolling with the big stars. High profile trans celebrity on their side? Hell no, don't want her.

Those people are vile in general though, but it does shock me that they love a self-professed "gay Jew who loves black cock" as long as his views are as warped as theirs... it's like they're making progress since it wasn't long ago when "the only good f*g is a dead f*g".
    Sure but what happens when Milo stops talking about the political subjects and converses about his life, and usual love for BBC? They wouldn't like it then because they don't accept it. Milo serves their purpose as being an exception for him, but once Milo is done talking trash, they would dislike him as much as the rest.

Leave a comment:

• Crackiswack
    replied
    On that note, I hate when people say "Why are black folks so mad, slavery ended 152 years ago, stop making excuses!" Really?? Last time I checked slavery in its name ended, but it continued in other firms, in a disguise. Sharecropping tied former slaves to lands, once again being slaves. Many men were thrown in jail, thus making them slaves again (Watch the 13TH on Netflix). This continued until the 1940s. And many believe that the mass incarceration of today is a successful attempt at making sure this blind slavery continues.

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Crackiswack
    replied
    I think the guy is a total absolute piece of garbage, but I will admit I'm almost impressed with the way so many extremists on the conservative side actually respect and accept Milo Yiannopoulos as one of their own given that he's a very flamboyant gay man and the uber-right is notorious for its homophobia yet will actually accept someone who is a major bigot as long as he's on their side.... kinda like how they hate the Obamas for being black but accept Ben Carson. It's almost like twisted baby steps for them and I will admit while Milo is the worst gay man on the planet, it does give me hope that the radical alt-right actually does accept him even though he's unapologetically gay.
    I don't see it that way. It's more that if he wasn't spewing out hatred and bigotry, he'd just be another fag to them. Just like some black folks on their side, if they weren't agreeing, they'd just be a couple of welfare niqqer thugs . It's their exception, I don't have hope for them at all, as they'll be using that excuse "I have gay/black friends!" when their friends are the exception to their bigotry, not the whole

Leave a comment:

Working...
X