Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Halo" was a hit without a doubt, it received a lot of rotation on Radio, music channels and sold lots of digital copies back in 2009, it pretty much smashed and I remember it that way. But I admit that I never imagined that the song would become so big and such catalogue staple and modern classic 10 years later.

It was a cool surprise to see how it ended turning out.
    Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Halo is indeed doing extraordinarily well for a song that was basically just a medium-sized Top 10 hit in most countries when it was originally released. Could be due to the fact that Bey managed to remain relevant despite scoring relatively few big hits over the years. This leads to most of her streams getting 'concentrated' on like 3-4 career highlights (Crazy In Love, Single Ladies, Halo, Irreplaceable), while for the other 'main' pop girls streams are much more evenly distributed between 10, 20 or more hits.

This doesn't necessarily mean that Halo is more of a classic than Hips Don't Lie, Umbrella, Gimme More, Hung Up, Bad Romance or Empire State Of Mind though. I don't even think it's more of a classic than Crazy In Love or Single Ladies globally.

I wouldn't be surprised if some random ass country like Brazil or Korea was solely responsible for it getting more streams than those two.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rihab View Post
        Halo is indeed doing extraordinarily well for a song that was basically just a medium-sized Top 10 hit in most countries when it was originally released. Could be due to the fact that Bey managed to remain relevant despite scoring relatively few big hits over the years. This leads to most of her streams getting 'concentrated' on like 3-4 career highlights (Crazy In Love, Single Ladies, Halo, Irreplaceable), while for the other 'main' pop girls streams are much more evenly distributed between 10, 20 or more hits.

This doesn't necessarily mean that Halo is more of a classic than Hips Don't Lie, Umbrella, Gimme More, Hung Up, Bad Romance or Empire State Of Mind though. I don't even think it's more of a classic than Crazy In Love or Single Ladies globally.

I wouldn't be surprised if some random ass country like Brazil or Korea was solely responsible for it getting more streams than those two.
        I haven't looked up these stats to see if they are true, but as far as I remember Halo was a big hot even in the US. It charted for a very long time and took many weeks to reach top 5 or something. I also remember that it was huge in Brazil, so I guess that has to have something to do with it being so big in streaming still. But not solely responsible. You can check how Halo is doing by country I believe.

But Run The World is the ultimate flop song that became a hit afterwards. I guess it's a bit of a gimmick song, but it worked.
        I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
        I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

• Will Adele slay with her next album? What do you guys think?
          Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by Rihab View Post
            Could be due to the fact that Bey managed to remain relevant despite scoring relatively few big hits over the years. This leads to most of her streams getting 'concentrated' on like 3-4 career highlights (Crazy In Love, Single Ladies, Halo, Irreplaceable), while for the other 'main' pop girls streams are much more evenly distributed between 10, 20 or more hits.

That's a fun thing to say, since she just exactly crossed her 20th (23 with DC) song with Baby Boy with over 100m streams on Spotify alone. Only 3 other women did that. Same for 3 albums over 1 billion streams.
            You can also look into the YouTube or Spotify streams to see where streams come from. The latter being pretty much non existing in Korea for example. It's doesn't even have its own country chart
            aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
              Will Adele slay with her next album? What do you guys think?
              She will do great yes. Her numbers will definitely be nowhere near what she did with the last two albums though I guess. It also depends on the singles but I already know people will call it a flop. Sales are dead. It will already be a great result if she tops 2m hard sales and that's usually her strong point. I'm going for a wild guess of 4m/5m US SpS total and I can already see the essays about how that's disappointing
              Last edited by BeeBoy; Tue March 19, 2019, 09:31. Reason: Typing with the phone is painful
              aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• Originally posted by Colbie View Post
                Ahh Fearless! Childhood memories, used to spin that record alot 10 years ago!
                You were a child in 2009?

Comment

• ^ i was 13, am 23 now!

Comment

• Yeah ... "people focussing on 3-4 Beyoncé songs" is not really accurate

20 songs with over 100million on Spotify
                    27 music videos (as a lead artist) with over 100million views on Youtube
                    3 albums with over 1Billion streams
                    Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• It probably depends on the country you're looking at: In central Europe, 'Drunk In Love' or 'Hold Up' are not very well known outside of her fanbase, while the chance is high that the average person on the street has heard of 'Crazy In Love', 'Single Ladies' or 'Listen' before.
                      Pro: freedom of speech
                      Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post
                        She will do great yes. Her numbers will definitely be nowhere near what she did with the last two albums though I guess. It also depends on the singles but I already know people will call it a flop. Sales are dead. It will already be a great result if she tops 2m hard sales and that's usually her strong point. I'm going for a wild guess of 4m/5m US SpS total and I can already see the essays about how that's disappointing
                        I'm still yet to meet someone who bought 25

Comment

• After some time that she avoided doing it, Ariana sounds once again exactly like Mariah on "Rule The World"...
                          jio CHARTS NOW: 26/10/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...0#post10775300

Comment

• Ariana >>>> Maria
                            DUA LIPA - RIHANNA - THE WEEKND - DOJA CAT
                            98 - OUT

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post
                              Ariana >>>> Maria
                              But how can a Kia be better than an Aston Martin?

Comment

• Originally posted by DOSSOME View Post
                                Are there really people out there that don't have it?
                                My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Anyone remembering this amazing song?

Comment

• Originally posted by DOSSOME View Post
                                    There's more people in my village than there are people who bought Mariah's latest flop in the UK.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
                                      Yeah ... "people focussing on 3-4 Beyoncé songs" is not really accurate

20 songs with over 100million on Spotify
                                      27 music videos (as a lead artist) with over 100million views on Youtube
                                      3 albums with over 1Billion streams

Her streaming numbers are reflection of her current popularity. Nothing else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Westen View Post
                                        Her streaming numbers are reflection of her current popularity. Nothing else.
                                        Sales are a reflection of popularity. Oh and a circle is round. Nothing else.
                                        aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

Sales are a reflection of popularity. Oh and a circle is round. Nothing else.
                                          No, it makes no sense.

Comment

• Of course it makes sense. Songs are popular and then get streamed/bought. That's how it works, which is why I said and a circle is round.
                                            I don't know what you're trying to imply? People just stream her stuff to stream Beyonce and don't care which song it is?
                                            aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

Of course it makes sense. Songs are popular and then get streamed/bought. That's how it works, which is why I said and a circle is round.
                                              I don't know what you're trying to imply? People just stream her stuff to stream Beyonce and don't care which song it is?
                                              No it doesn't make sense. Sales and streams are totally different markets. Not to mention that streams and views can easily be manipulated by putting auto play on, or playing random playlists etc.

For example Beyonce is popular right now, so people who want to stream her music on Spotify they can stream whatever the want and listen to it how many time they want to, if that happened in digital era they would've either purchased few popular songs or one album, so you get the picture hopefully.

Comparison is meaningless because album tracks by Rihanna, Taylor and Ariana can easily hit 100m streams.

Comment

• One of my favourite live performances of ALL-TIME - it is so damn impressive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Westen View Post
                                                  For example Beyonce is popular right now, so people who want to stream her music on Spotify they can stream whatever the want and listen to it how many time they want to, if that happened in digital era they would've either purchased few popular songs or one album, so you get the picture hopefully.

Comparison is meaningless because album tracks by Rihanna, Taylor and Ariana can easily hit 100m streams.
                                                  Of course it helps that she is still popular right now, but so are others. Pink, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry,Shakira all had hits in the 00s and were still popular afterwards while streaming became a thing. We were talking about past hits, and that Halo is the most streamed female song released in the 00s. Not about albums/songs released now where the standard is different. Why is comparison meaningless there? If you compare songs from different decades yes it's meaningless but not if you compare like we did. Afterwards someone said her streams are concentrated on 3/4 hits, which is also not true. That's just how it evolved. Cyndi Lauper is also not popular anymore and has two of the most streamed hits released in the 80s one nearing 300m and the other one 200 and Madonna is nowhere close despite still being much more popular, Whitney also only has one, so it's also about the songs.
                                                  Oh and Taylor doesn't have a single album track that's above 100m streams btw...
                                                  But I don't think this needs to be discussed further I don't want to start any fights..everyone thinks there are different reasons for the streaming numbers, that's fine but the original point still stands and that's all we were discussing initially.
                                                  aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

Oh and Taylor doesn't have a single album track that's above 100m streams btw...
                                                    Weren't her albums unavailable up until mid 2017? At least 1989 would have a couple of album tracks over 100 million if it was available during its heyday. Even its hits are "low" (still big streaming numbers, but not as what you'd expect them to be) when you think how massive they were.
                                                    I have received many gifts from God,
                                                    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

Working...
                                                    X