Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of course Pop is a music genre LOL and "American Top 40 stations" are just that, a Top 40 countdown not a genre specific thing.

But yeah Rock is the best music genre to me, It's the origin of modern mainstream music and the universal musical genre.
    Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
      I also think Ed, Maroon 5 and Coldplay are the Holy Trinity
      And that’s why nobody trust your opinion!
      5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
        Of course Pop is a music genre
        Define/specify it.
        When I think of pop I think of the likes of Britney, boybands, girlbands etc. but let's take any random act:
        Is "We belong together" considered pop? Is "Old town road" considered pop? Is "Boulevard of broken dreams" considered pop? Or any early Taylor song?
        And then there are the obscure hits, like "Secretly" by Skunk Anansie, or "It's oh so quiet" by Bjork....just naming random examples.
        These songs were popular.
        Pop is short for popular, so any popular song is pop.

Pop is not a genre, atleast not a specific one in my opinion.

Comment

• I agree with Spiritboy. Maroon 5 are great. Coldplay, however, are by far the greatest.

I always loved Maroon 5. I mean look at Adam. When Songs About Jane came out I was over the moon. It was instant love which lasted. Red Pill Blues is one of my most played albums ever.

Coldplay had me with Parachutes. This was their debut also. So, it was love right from the start. By the time X&Y came out it was all over. I declared Fix You my Song of the Decade (over We Belong Together).

It's also that Chris Martin wasn't really attractive to me at first... but ... you know he aged like fine wine, also his talent and his vocals made him one of my husbands later on. Up & Up y'all is their latest song which I declared one of the greatest songs of all times. And it is true. The video to the song is the greatest music video ever made.
          My Chart

Comment

• btw, my latest crush is the lead singer of X Ambassadors. He is such a hunk. I can't contain myself.
            My Chart

Comment

• I am fine woth rock and sometimes like some rock influences in pop songs.
              I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hejira View Post
                Define/specify it.
                When I think of pop I think of the likes of Britney, boybands, girlbands etc. but let's take any random act:
                Is "We belong together" considered pop? Is "Old town road" considered pop? Is "Boulevard of broken dreams" considered pop? Or any early Taylor song?
                And then there are the obscure hits, like "Secretly" by Skunk Anansie, or "It's oh so quiet" by Bjork....just naming random examples.
                These songs were popular.
                Pop is short for popular, so any popular song is pop.

Pop is not a genre, atleast not a specific one in my opinion.
                Pop music is a genre of popular music that originated in its modern form in the United States and United Kingdom during the mid-1950s. The terms "popular music" and "pop music" are often used interchangeably, although the former describes all music that is popular and includes many diverse styles. "Pop" and "rock" were roughly synonymous terms until the late 1960s, when they became increasingly differentiated from each other.

Although much of the music that appears on record charts is seen as pop music, the genre is distinguished from chart music. Pop music is eclectic, and often borrows elements from other styles such as urban, dance, rock, Latin, and country; nonetheless, there are core elements that define pop music. Identifying factors include generally short to medium-length songs written in a basic format (often the verse-chorus structure), as well as common use of repeated choruses, melodic tunes, and hooks.

The main medium of pop music is the song, often between two and a half and three and a half minutes in length, generally marked by a consistent and noticeable rhythmic element, a mainstream style and a simple traditional structure. Common variants include the verse-chorus form and the thirty-two-bar form, with a focus on melodies and catchy hooks, and a chorus that contrasts melodically, rhythmically and harmonically with the verse. The beat and the melodies tend to be simple, with limited harmonic accompaniment. The lyrics of modern pop songs typically focus on simple themes – often love and romantic relationships – although there are notable exceptions.

It is a music genre that sometimes people confuse with anything that is "popular" which are two different things, a popular song can be rock, soul, rap, dance, etc and that's popular music but that has nothing to do with the music genre known as pop.

Pop music as an intentional genre is basically a polished stylized rock song designed for mainstream audiences based on simple hooks, catchy melodies and basic musical structure.

Also saying Pop music is not a genre would mean that Katy Perry sings what? Rock music or Blues?
                Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Coldplay>>>>>>>>>>>Maroon 5.

Comment

• The Cranberries >> No Doubt >> Coldplay >> Maroon 5

Comment

Also saying Pop music is not a genre would mean that Katy Perry sings what? Rock music or Blues?
                      This is true, I wouldn't know what to call it besides pure pop. But honestly I feel like pop can be snobby the same amount "alternative" music can be snobby.
                      I guess it's pretty much a conversation with no outcome, which is fine.
                      It takes a purist to get defensive about genre I suppose.

Comment

Pop music as an intentional genre is basically a polished stylized rock song designed for mainstream audiences based on simple hooks, catchy melodies and basic musical structure.
                        I agree MrLeonix. And that's why we love it The music doesn't have to be complex but the songs can still tackle big issues. Most people love more than one genre of music , it depends on mood. However there are some there are just an anathema to me , like Heavy Metal.
                        It might sound like I'm an unapologetic bitch
                        But sometimes you know I gotta call it like it is

Comment

The Cranberries >> No Doubt >> Coldplay >> Maroon 5
                          Tori Amos>>The Cranberries >> No Doubt >> Coldplay >> Maroon 5

Comment

This is true, I wouldn't know what to call it besides pure pop. But honestly I feel like pop can be snobby the same amount "alternative" music can be snobby.
                            I guess it's pretty much a conversation with no outcome, which is fine.
                            It takes a purist to get defensive about genre I suppose.
                            Many people often get confused with the Pop thing and many mistake the recognized musical genre with anything that is popular. They're not correlated, there are pop songs that flop or even Pop artists that never really make it (ask Mandy Moore about that) and are unpopular and there are Country songs that are super popular, being "popular" has nothing to do with a musical genre, being popular is just that, and in that case Metallica is extremely popular.

But pop music as an intentional pursued and studied musical direction does exist in the music industry and many artists purposely make "pop music", also Pop music is officially recognized as a proper music genre inside of the music industry with literally every designed music award in the world presenting awards separated by music genres such as Rock, Pop, Country, R&B, etc categories, Pop being one of the specific genres they award in its exclusive category / field.

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                              Pop is what American Top 40 radio stations play. It's not that deep.
                              Hi [MENTION=4090]stevyy[/MENTION]. I'll miss you xx
                              Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                              Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

Tori Amos>>The Cranberries >> No Doubt >> Coldplay >> Maroon 5
                                Now THIS is some serious tea!
                                The sands of time fade into dark
                                Feel your pulse it's groove o'clock
                                A message to madness
                                Feel music that's realness

Comment

Many people often get confused with the Pop thing and many mistake the recognized musical genre with anything that is popular. They're not correlated, there are pop songs that flop or even Pop artists that never really make it (ask Mandy Moore about that) and are unpopular and there are Country songs that are super popular, being "popular" has nothing to do with a musical genre, being popular is just that, and in that case Metallica is extremely popular.

But pop music as an intentional pursued and studied musical direction does exist in the music industry and many artists purposely make "pop music", also Pop music is officially recognized as a proper music genre inside of the music industry with literally every designed music award in the world presenting awards separated by music genres such as Rock, Pop, Country, R&B, etc categories, Pop being one of the specific genres they award in its exclusive category / field.
                                  I understand what you mean.
                                  I think however..let's take a band like "Coldplay" since that name came up in recent conversations on this board.
                                  This band was once an alternative choice amidst a lot of commercial stuff, to put it bluntly. Atleast with the first 2 albums.
                                  During the success from the 2nd album they became "popular" as in mainstream and they embraced that status ever since. They never looked back and, for me, completely lost the edge.
                                  Duets with Rihanna and Beyonce etc.
                                  You can't deny the change of direction they have had, becoming more 'pop' AKA= being more invested with the charts.

In the case of Mandy, since you mentioned her, she did the opposite thing where she went from being a Britney 2.0 (forced by the label) to a full blown indie act, her latest album "Amanda Leigh" seems to be made without any control from the outside, but I do still consider it to be a pop album obviously.

I just think that people think "Superficial bubblegum" when the term "Pop" is used, which is not the case. Pop is kind of an accumulation of everything popular in any genre and therefor I do think pop is not a specific genre.

Comment

I understand what you mean.
                                    I think however..let's take a band like "Coldplay" since that name came up in recent conversations on this board.
                                    This band was once an alternative choice amidst a lot of commercial stuff, to put it bluntly. Atleast with the first 2 albums.
                                    During the success from the 2nd album they became "popular" as in mainstream and they embraced that status ever since. They never looked back and, for me, completely lost the edge.
                                    Duets with Rihanna and Beyonce etc.
                                    You can't deny the change of direction they have had, becoming more 'pop' AKA= being more invested with the charts.
                                    Well artists can change over time if they want, Bon Jovi even became Country for some of their recent albums. And Coldplay were Alternative Rock but evolved more into Pop music recently.

Originally posted by Hejira View Post
                                    In the case of Mandy, a Britney 2.0
                                    More like Britney 4.0 though

Originally posted by Hejira View Post
                                    I just think that people think "Superficial bubblegum" when the term "Pop" is used, which is not the case. Pop is kind of an accumulation of everything popular in any genre and therefor I do think pop is not a specific genre.
                                    It's no different to other music genres though, every genre has variations, Rock music can be soft, ballad, heavy, progressive, catchy, experimental, calmed, angry, artistic, good or bad.

Same for Pop, it can be soft, bubblegum, refined / sophisticated, progressive, artistic, etc. But it has parameters.

Every genre has parameters and Pop has them too. Nirvana may be popular but they do not sing Pop as a music genre, They are Rock artists and sing rock music in the same way Justin Timberlake sings pop music and he is NOT a rock or blues or whatever singer, he is a Pop artist. It's not really that hard understanding Pop as a music genre form.

Also like I said Pop music is recognized as a proper music genre in the music industry, Even Grammys have categories organized by genres among them the category destined to pop music, in the same way they have for Jazz, Rock, Country, R&B, Rap, Alternative, Gospel, Blues, Reggae, Folk, New Age, etc. . . If pop wasn't an specific music genre then no awards shows would list it as a genre and we wouldn't have Pop categories at the Grammys, AMAs, BBMAs, Brits and VMAs.

Comment

• Since you brought her up in this discussion, I don't view Mandy as a Britney 4.0.

She was branded as a 'Britney' but they both have their space in music and Mandy holds that with her last 2 albums in my opinion.
                                      I wasn't trying to compare though, just carrying some names to back up the discussion.

Comment

Since you brought her up in this discussion, I don't view Mandy as a Britney 4.0.

She was branded as a 'Britney' but they both have their space in music and Mandy holds that with her last 2 albums in my opinion.
                                        I wasn't trying to compare though, just carrying some names to back up the discussion.
                                        And I was joking too, I refered to Mandy as Britney 4.0 because around that time music labels wanted to market their own Britney with similar promotion, fashion, looks and type of music. Xtina was 2.0, Jessica Simpson was 3.0, Mandy was 4.0, Willa was 5.0 and so on. . .

Comment

Every genre has parameters and Pop has them too. Nirvana may be popular but they do not sing Pop as a music genre, They are Rock artists and sing rock music in the same way Justin Timberlake sings pop music and he is NOT a rock or blues or whatever singer, he is a Pop artist. It's not really that hard understanding Pop as a music genre form.

Also like I said Pop music is recognized as a proper music genre in the music industry, Even Grammys have categories organized by genres among them the category destined to pop music, in the same way they have for Jazz, Rock, Country, R&B, Rap, Alternative, Gospel, Blues, Reggae, Folk, New Age, etc. . . If pop wasn't an specific music genre then no awards shows would list it as a genre and we wouldn't have Pop categories at the Grammys, AMAs, BBMAs, Brits and VMAs.

I agree with this!

Comment

And I was joking too, I refered to Mandy as Britney 4.0 because around that time music labels wanted to market their own Britney with similar promotion, fashion, looks and type of music. Xtina was 2.0, Jessica Simpson was 3.0, Mandy was 4.0, Willa was 5.0 and so on. . .
                                            Xtine is a 4.0 for me, if so LOL. I have a well contained dislike for her

Comment

Xtine is a 4.0 for me, if so LOL. I have a well contained dislike for her
                                              Haha, the digit has nothing to do with being better or not though. It was pretty much the chronological order they came out, Mandy came out as the 4th Britney incarnation back in 1999 hence she was Britney 4.0.

All of them evolved very differently after that early face though. Mandy IMO has no real place in the music industry but she did score success in the film industry and acting (by far the most successful in this field) and Jessica had a couple popular moments in the music scene but then transitioned into a business woman selling products and lines and that stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                                Hi [MENTION=4090]stevyy[/MENTION]. I'll miss you xx
                                                Darling, I voiced my opinion of support for you in the THREAD. It might surprise you, but I like you, despite all the differences in opinion that we have.
                                                My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                                                  Darling, I voiced my opinion of support for you in the THREAD. It might surprise you, but I like you, despite all the differences in opinion that we have.
                                                  I know and I do appreciate. however I have been taken out by mob rule and bias.
                                                  Last edited by InFamous; Wed July 17, 2019, 04:22.

Comment

Since you brought her up in this discussion, I don't view Mandy as a Britney 4.0.

Of course pop is a genre . What happens to be. Popular at the time is not the same thing

Comment

Working...
                                                    X