^ Jeej k3

Leave a comment:

• Michiel
    replied
    10.000 luchtballlloooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnen

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied
    IMO, Whitney had the biggest song by a female in the last 50 years but Id say Aretha has the most iconic. I will say a few years down the line, I will be saying Whitney's IWALY is the most iconic.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by MrLeonix
    Not necessarily the best, but the most iconic female song of the last 50 years on a worldwide scale is probably Whitney Houston's version of "I will always love you".

I would always place it in the top 10 of such lists, but I doubt it is the most impactful. In the same sense as AIWFCIY isn't the most impactful christmas tune by a female, that crown still belongs to Brenda Lee. The Whitney classic (and Mariah classic) have been mighty successful songs with a legacy and HUGE impact, but aren't the pinnacle yet.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Not necessarily the best, but the most iconic female song of the last 50 years on a worldwide scale is probably Whitney Houston's version of "I will always love you".

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by biscuits
    13. Baby One More Time
    14. Rolling in The Deep
    My chart would continue with Barbra's The Way we were and Roberta Flack's Killing me softly and The First Time Ever I saw your face.

I thought about Dionne.. but I think her evergreen That's what friends are for should be ranked somewhere in the top 30...but not higher.

Leave a comment:

• biscuits
    replied
    13. Baby One More Time
    14. Rolling in The Deep

Leave a comment:

• DOSSOME
    replied
    Originally posted by stevyy
    Originally posted by TIfan
    Wayne,

What female song you would consider the most iconic in the last 50 years?

My Top 10:

1. Proud Mary - Tina Turner
    2. Vogue - Madonna
    3. Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Diana Ross
    4. You're The One that I want - Olivia Newton-John (ft. John Travolta)
    5. All I want for Christmas Is You - Mariah Carey
    6. Respect - Aretha Franklin
    7. Rhythm Nation - Janet Jackson
    8. Stop In The Name of Love - Diana Ross / Supremes
    9. You're so Vain - Carly Simon
    10. I will always love you - Dolly Parton /Whitney Houston
    11.That's What Friends Are For - Dionne Warwick and Friends
    12.Physical - Olivia Newton John

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Wayne,

My Top 10:

1. Proud Mary - Tina Turner
    2. Vogue - Madonna
    3. Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Diana Ross
    4. You're The One that I want - Olivia Newton-John (ft. John Travolta)
    5. All I want for Christmas Is You - Mariah Carey
    6. Respect - Aretha Franklin
    7. Rhythm Nation - Janet Jackson
    8. Stop In The Name of Love - Diana Ross / Supremes
    9. You're so Vain - Carly Simon
    10. I will always love you - Dolly Parton /Whitney Houston

Leave a comment:

• Airwrecka
    replied
    Originally posted by fpfbm54
    waiT, Qween was banned on the 9th yet the last time he was online was on the 18th *x-files theme*
    Lol, I think you can still login and it just says you're banned etc. So maybe he was hoping for a reprieve.

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied
    Wayne,

Leave a comment:

• flopho
    replied
    waiT, Qween was banned on the 9th yet the last time he was online was on the 18th *x-files theme*

Leave a comment:

• HaskaWuga
    replied
    Buy #Storyteller on iTunes

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Wayne,

How can you say Aretha's "Respect" outweighs her but then say Respect is not iconic worldwide? Impact is impact. Aretha has influenced many stars outside of US.
    When and where did I say that?

You called it the most iconic song by a female artist of the last 50 years - and in the USA, that might be the case. But I don't feel it is that way outside of the USA, though that wasn't me saying it isn't iconic.

I love the song - it has an instantly recognisable melody and Aretha sounds immense.

Leave a comment:

• TheRealest
    replied
    Just like tha Calgon commercial I...
    Really gotta get...
    Up outta here
    And go somewhere

Leave a comment:

• Play
    replied
    I really don't feel like sleeping, too much going around in my veins

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied
    Wayne,

How can you say Aretha's "Respect" outweighs her but then say Respect is not iconic worldwide? Impact is impact. Aretha has influenced many stars outside of US.

Leave a comment:

• toni_pest
    replied
    Originally posted by hugo
    Originally posted by Westen
    AL Kylida (fanbase name)
    Genius

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    AL Kylida (fanbase name)
    That is brilliant.

I think MrL has it spot on with his last analysis.

Leave a comment:

• Michiel
    replied
    Originally posted by MrLeonix
    Originally posted by NothingFails
    I see people on other forums claim that Mariah and Janet are "local stars" because they never dominated in Europe the way they did in America.... at the same time claiming that Kylie is a massive worldwide megastar. Honestly when you compare the situations... Janet and Mariah certainly had far more success in Europe compared to Kylie (who is practically a two hit wonder separated by 15 years) in the US.... yet Kylie is the worldwide megastar on par with MJ, Madonna
    I've never seen anyone on any forum claiming Kylie Minogue is on par with MJ or Madonna, if anything I have to recognize Kylie fans are the most mature and they know their fave has had limited success but has been consistent over the years, her fans know that. . . . And about the Europe thing, Kylie is not even that big in Europe (outside UK).

Regarding Mariah, she is a global icon, everyone knows who she is and she reached stardom and a music career everywhere and her sales were huge everywhere as well, however ever since she switched to R&B she did become a little bit more US oriented than the way she was when she was just an AC star.

Janet?, yes she is famous around the world and an icon, but no matter how hard someone tries to debate it, her impact was never close as big as it was in North America, she had her good international career but she was way more US/Can weighted than the rest of any of her main peers
    That's a good and fair analysis in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Storyteller
    replied
    Originally posted by hugo
    AL Kylida (fanbase name)
    OMFG

Leave a comment:

• Hugo
    replied
    AL Kylida (fanbase name)

Leave a comment:

• Westen
    replied
    Originally posted by Formusic
    Europeans are as egocentric as americans when it comes to this local vs global discussion, just saying

For instance Taylor can do stadiums in Asia and Oceania (even though nobody else currently can, even Gaga back in 2010 didnt) but some people (from Europe mainland mostly) still say she is local because she doesnt reach Gaga's domination back in 2010 in some countries in Europe. The girl was n1 on the european itunes for almost a year but she is still local because her success is disproportional in NA.

At the end of the day, it doesnt matter where your success comes from, Led Zeppelin was very US/UK oriented and yet they re probably as respected as The Beatles, the opposite of Queen or Abba but they all earned their status.
    I see people on other forums claim that Mariah and Janet are "local stars" because they never dominated in Europe the way they did in America.... at the same time claiming that Kylie is a massive worldwide megastar. Honestly when you compare the situations... Janet and Mariah certainly had far more success in Europe compared to Kylie (who is practically a two hit wonder separated by 15 years) in the US.... yet Kylie is the worldwide megastar on par with MJ, Madonna and The Beatles and Mariah/Janet aren't even though those two were far more chart presences in Europe than Kylie's ever been stateside outside of the dance chart?

Anyways... how you do in your HOME COUNTRY should matter most. To bash Aretha for being biggest in the US would be like bashing Oasis for being biggest in the UK. To try and put Aretha in the same box with someone like Dylan or Joni who were influential and legendary but never lived/died by the singles chart is a total insult to her legacy. Before Madonna, Whitney, et al came around, Aretha was the all time biggest female hitmaker in the US (well Diana would trump her if we counted Supremes and solo, but just as a solo artist she was behind Aretha)

I am massive Kylie fan and i NEVER saw not one Kylie fan saying that. AL Kylida (fanbase name) usually only talks about UK and Australia where she is only under Madonna in records sales.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    I see people on other forums claim that Mariah and Janet are "local stars" because they never dominated in Europe the way they did in America.... at the same time claiming that Kylie is a massive worldwide megastar. Honestly when you compare the situations... Janet and Mariah certainly had far more success in Europe compared to Kylie (who is practically a two hit wonder separated by 15 years) in the US.... yet Kylie is the worldwide megastar on par with MJ, Madonna
    I've never seen anyone on any forum claiming Kylie Minogue is on par with MJ or Madonna, if anything I have to recognize Kylie fans are the most mature and they know their fave has had limited success but has been consistent over the years, her fans know that. . . . And about the Europe thing, Kylie is not even that big in Europe (outside UK).

Regarding Mariah, she is a global icon, everyone knows who she is and she reached stardom and a music career everywhere and her sales were huge everywhere as well, however ever since she switched to R&B she did become a little bit more US oriented than the way she was when she was just an AC star.

Janet?, yes she is famous around the world and an icon, but no matter how hard someone tries to debate it, her impact was never close as big as it was in North America, she had her good international career but she was way more US/Can weighted than the rest of any of her main peers

Leave a comment:

• Carbon
    replied
    John, people on forums can be stupid (especially if by other forums you mean atlr), no need to get so worked up about it + that Aretha discussion was kinda done and you keep defending her while no one is actually attacking her (or Oasis)

and the whole legend status, every deluded forum stan will think his diva is the most legendary, successful, iconic, AND the most underrated, that includes Kylie, Mariah, Madonna or anyone else

Taylor is the most iconic right now, but I much prefer the local Becky G whose hit period (consisting of one hit) isn't any less worthy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X