X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NothingFails
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne
    John, I swear you've just started a whole argument by yourself, out of nothing.

Well it is funny to see the comparisons of someone like Aretha who was a genuine hitmaker and had a very long, respected career to acts who never cared for hits. An American artist making American-influenced music had her biggest success in America... how is that different than Oasis who reached a level in the UK they never reached other countries? In the US they're the "Wonderwall band". Why is one lauded and the other derided for not making the same impact in other countries as they did at home? Especially when Aretha's day was a time where black artists had it much harder than they do now and outside of Diana and Stevie, black artists in the 60s/70s didn't cross over in other countries? Cilla Black and Dusty Springfield re-recorded most of Dionne Warwick's hits to make them cross over in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    John, I swear you've just started a whole argument by yourself, out of nothing.

Leave a comment:

• theArmy
    replied
    I know ur hoping that I'll react
    I know ur hoping I'm looking back
    But if my real ain't real enough
    I DON'T KNOW
    what it is bae

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied
    Originally posted by Formusic
    Europeans are as egocentric as americans when it comes to this local vs global discussion, just saying

For instance Taylor can do stadiums in Asia and Oceania (even though nobody else currently can, even Gaga back in 2010 didnt) but some people (from Europe mainland mostly) still say she is local because she doesnt reach Gaga's domination back in 2010 in some countries in Europe. The girl was n1 on the european itunes for almost a year but she is still local because her success is disproportional in NA.

At the end of the day, it doesnt matter where your success comes from, Led Zeppelin was very US/UK oriented and yet they re probably as respected as The Beatles, the opposite of Queen or Abba but they all earned their status.
    I see people on other forums claim that Mariah and Janet are "local stars" because they never dominated in Europe the way they did in America.... at the same time claiming that Kylie is a massive worldwide megastar. Honestly when you compare the situations... Janet and Mariah certainly had far more success in Europe compared to Kylie (who is practically a two hit wonder separated by 15 years) in the US.... yet Kylie is the worldwide megastar on par with MJ, Madonna and The Beatles and Mariah/Janet aren't even though those two were far more chart presences in Europe than Kylie's ever been stateside outside of the dance chart?

Anyways... how you do in your HOME COUNTRY should matter most. To bash Aretha for being biggest in the US would be like bashing Oasis for being biggest in the UK. To try and put Aretha in the same box with someone like Dylan or Joni who were influential and legendary but never lived/died by the singles chart is a total insult to her legacy. Before Madonna, Whitney, et al came around, Aretha was the all time biggest female hitmaker in the US (well Diana would trump her if we counted Supremes and solo, but just as a solo artist she was behind Aretha)

Leave a comment:

• Formusic
    replied
    Europeans are as egocentric as americans when it comes to this local vs global discussion, just saying

For instance Taylor can do stadiums in Asia and Oceania (even though nobody else currently can, even Gaga back in 2010 didnt) but some people (from Europe mainland mostly) still say she is local because she doesnt reach Gaga's domination back in 2010 in some countries in Europe. The girl was n1 on the european itunes for almost a year but she is still local because her success is disproportional in NA.

At the end of the day, it doesnt matter where your success comes from, Led Zeppelin was very US/UK oriented and yet they re probably as respected as The Beatles, the opposite of Queen or Abba but they all earned their status.

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied
    Originally posted by MrLeonix
    Originally posted by NothingFails
    Originally posted by TIfan
    ^^^ I have to disagree with you guys on the song outweighing Aretha. Maybe I am misunderstanding you guys but Aretha has truly made something for herself outside of "Respect".
    I agree. Aretha is one of the top hitmakers ever... reducing her to just Respect is like reducing Madonna to just Like A Virgin or MJ just to Thriller or something. From about 1967 to 1974, she was nonstop hit after hit and she definitely is up there on the level of Beatles, Elvis, Elton, MJ, Stevie, Madonna, etc... in terms of volume of hits.
    Maybe in US. Because those acts you mentioned, The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Elton, etc. Scored hits around the globe and in the case of MJ, Elton and Madonna straight for like 30 years getting hits. While Aretha's local hit period didn't even last a decade.

Aretha is a legend and yes she was successful, but she was not that type of blockbuster artist or anything like that, she had her several hits of course but she was more of the type of acclaimed act instead.
    Aretha's biggest hit period was 1967-1974 but she had a good second run in the 80s and was a constant r&b chart presence from the early 60s to the late 90s. She hit a dry spell in the mid-70s but she came back and had another run of hits in the 80s but again, nobody considers her Arista period on the level as the Atlantic recordings.

People seem to forget that music was much more segregated in the 60s and 70s compared to today. Acts like Stevie Wonder or Marvin Gaye which cracked the white market were the exception to the rule. Michael, Whitney, Prince, Janet and Tina in the mid-80s changed everything and gave black artists a much bigger presence on top 40 radio compared to the 70s where it was Stevie, Diana, Donna, Marvin, Aretha, Sly and maybe one or two other acts who had major crossover success but most black artists were relegated to black radio.

Aretha had her biggest fame in the US, but so what? She's an American artist, her roots were in American music. You do realize Kylie Minogue means absolutely nothing in America outside of portions of the gay community, which also gives Yoko Ono and Cyndi Lauper dance hits as well. Does Kylie really outweigh Aretha simply because she has bigger European success? How about Cliff Richard who hasn't had a hit in the US since 1981 even though in the UK the guy is MJ + Elvis combined? Aretha's stature in the US is so far above Kylie + Cliff's it isn't even funny.

Aretha set chart records for female artists that were only topped decades down the road... to claim she's someone like Bob Dylan or Joni Mitchell where her importance and influence outweighs her number of hits is preposterous. You need THREE cd's to get the full Aretha story (the 60s GH, the 70s GH and the Arista GH that covered the 80s and early 90s) and even then there's some missing hits on there. That is closer to Elton territory (who had so many hits that there is yet to be a collection that covers all of them) than it does Bob Dylan whose a legend but never really was much of a singles artist outside of maybe three or four singles in the 60s.

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied
    Random Thought:

There needs to be a Disney Princess movie on Diana Ross... with many of her hits featured on it.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Originally posted by toni_pest
    I decided to follow some feng shui bedroom tips in hope of some progress in life and i cant even position my damn bed the right way cause my room is awful. I give up on life.
    it could be worse

my bed takes up roughly 80% of my bedroom, good luck to whoever wants to try feng shui there

Leave a comment:

• toni_pest
    replied
    I decided to follow some feng shui bedroom tips in hope of some progress in life and i cant even position my damn bed the right way cause my room is awful. I give up on life.

Leave a comment:

• Serby
    replied
    Originally posted by TheRealest
    I hate when people are like "oh, it was only successful in the U.S." or "It only had an impact in the U.S."..... SO bitch? We're the sh*t and you will deal hoe!

Btw that's not directed at anyone, ijs.
    but US ain't the whole world, I guess people just wanna say that someone status cannot be determinded by their success in US only.

But, yeah, US music can be really good, so it doesn't even matter.

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    I remember how i heard about MJ's passing. I was in Istanbul, it was 3 am and we were eating hamburgers with friends after hanging out in a bar. We were so shocked about it. A few years later i was at a bar with the same friend and we've heard Whitney's passing. I told her "we won't ever be going to a bar again or next one will be Madonna"

Leave a comment:

• theArmy
    replied
    Originally posted by biscuits
    Originally posted by theArmy
    Originally posted by stevyy
    The very next day I went to a local record store and grabbed the last MJ album they still had (Number Ones) to honor him.
    this is ridiculous, but good for u
    So is buying Avril Lavigne records...and she ain't even dead
    Good thing - a Janet Jackson selling as much as "a" Avril Lavigne.

Leave a comment:

• Michiel
    replied
    Originally posted by biscuits
    The very next day I went to a local record store and grabbed the last MJ album they still had (Number Ones) to honor him.
    Burn

Leave a comment:

• biscuits
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Michiel
    replied
    Originally posted by Chun
    How about "It was only successful in the 90's".
    Oh Lilith, you're so dry!

Leave a comment:

• Chun
    replied
    How about "It was only successful in the 90's".

Leave a comment:

• TheRealest
    replied
    I hate when people are like "oh, it was only successful in the U.S." or "It only had an impact in the U.S."..... SO bitch? We're the sh*t and you will deal hoe!

Btw that's not directed at anyone, ijs.

Leave a comment:

• DOSSOME
    replied
    I find this "Local vs Global" argument weird.How is it possible to know if a song is successful or not outside your country,especially in countries that don't have official charts?

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Originally posted by NothingFails
    ^^^ I have to disagree with you guys on the song outweighing Aretha. Maybe I am misunderstanding you guys but Aretha has truly made something for herself outside of "Respect".
    I agree. Aretha is one of the top hitmakers ever... reducing her to just Respect is like reducing Madonna to just Like A Virgin or MJ just to Thriller or something. From about 1967 to 1974, she was nonstop hit after hit and she definitely is up there on the level of Beatles, Elvis, Elton, MJ, Stevie, Madonna, etc... in terms of volume of hits.
    Maybe in US. Because those acts you mentioned, The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Elton, etc. Scored hits around the globe and in the case of MJ, Elton and Madonna straight for like 30 years getting hits. While Aretha's local hit period didn't even last a decade.

Aretha is a legend and yes she was successful, but she was not that type of blockbuster artist or anything like that, she had her several hits of course but she was more of the type of acclaimed act instead.

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• hotMCfan
    replied
    Originally posted by JSparksFan
    "Respect" is the diva anthem to end all diva anthems. It's so amazing.
    make it happen says helleaux
    And I say goodbye.
    you mean bye bye?!!
    Heat remains unbothered.
    Originally posted by Wayne
    Song outgrew the artist.

And when that artist is Aretha Franklin, you just know that song has to be freaking HUGE.
    The song truly outweighs Aretha.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Respect meant a lot to the Civil Rights Movement as well. That song really put Aretha on the map and is probably the most legendary song by a female in the last 50 Years.
    In America, maybe. But even then, I think it's difficult to quantify when there's literally dozens of American standards.

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied
    Respect meant a lot to the Civil Rights Movement as well. That song really put Aretha on the map and is probably the most legendary song by a female in the last 50 Years.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Song outgrew the artist.

And when that artist is Aretha Franklin, you just know that song has to be freaking HUGE.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X